Ultron bomb damage out of control?

Options

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ruinate wrote:
    I might have to recruit a level 1 Hawkeye.
    if only we had some notice and we could have prepared a hawkeye.... I know I would have, but too late now. cant pull one out of my... LRs are just starting, so in a day or 2 I might have 2-3 covers for him. blegh.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    No game should have this much rng. Bad board? Here, get 1 shot. I wiped 5 times in a row and was about to rage. Lcap, Mnmag, IM40(2yellow) has been my only way to deal with this nonsense. Even then it's a huge gamble. If I'm unable to charge yellow or purple in the first couple of turns, its over. If too many of Cap tiles get wiped from the bottom and I run out of ap, its over.

I've tried multiple 2* Hawkeye 5-match team comps with a horrible success rate.

I don't know how you guys are running Witch or Gsbw. Gsbw is too slow without Witch and my Witch tiles constantly get wiped from the bottom. I might have to recruit a level 1 Hawkeye.

Usually it is possible to match away the first few bombs that come by. If the SW CD tile appears too low on the board to detonate, you can either match it yourself or (if it is very low) just let Ultron blow it up to respawn it.

If the CD tile is high enough, you just need to focus on grabbing purple or (if possible, in priority over grabbing it) arranging the purple around the CD tile to make it more likely to crit.

If you are 5 covered in Arcane Incantation, you should get a CD tile on the top half of the board about half of time, which is all you need for it to go off. If it is on the bottom two rows, just match bombs or grab purple and let Ultron blow it up. If it is on row three or four, you might be better off matching it yourself.

Every time I lost, it was because of 2 (or 1 if it's a 2*Hawkeye team) unstoppable bombs right off the bat. Feels bad man.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ruinate wrote:
    No game should have this much rng. Bad board? Here, get 1 shot. I wiped 5 times in a row and was about to rage. Lcap, Mnmag, IM40(2yellow) has been my only way to deal with this nonsense. Even then it's a huge gamble. If I'm unable to charge yellow or purple in the first couple of turns, its over. If too many of Cap tiles get wiped from the bottom and I run out of ap, its over.

I've tried multiple 2* Hawkeye 5-match team comps with a horrible success rate.

I don't know how you guys are running Witch or Gsbw. Gsbw is too slow without Witch and my Witch tiles constantly get wiped from the bottom. I might have to recruit a level 1 Hawkeye.
    I've never seen folks get this incensed about PVE.

Or even Ultron.

I wonder if folks thought Ultron was gonna be any different from the last 2 rounds or PVE in general?
    Ruinate wrote:

Every time I lost, it was because of 2 (or 1 if it's a 2*Hawkeye team) unstoppable bombs right off the bat. Feels bad man.

Then you know when to retreat now
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know what everyone expected. They have two top tier 3*s Vision and Captain Marvel as rewards. These two are highly sought after characters that every player wants and needs on their roster. So of course the devs increased the bomb damage!

Yes I am completely sarcastic icon_lol.gif
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

Or even Ultron.

I wonder if folks thought Ultron was gonna be any different from the last 2 rounds or PVE in general?

How is getting upset at bad rng in pve any different than in pvp? How convenient is it for you is it to specifically mention pve?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I retreat instead of doing the max amount of damage that I can?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ruinate wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Or even Ultron.

How is getting upset at bad rng in pve any different than in pvp? How convenient is it for you is it to specifically mention pve?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would I retreat instead of doing the max amount of damage that I can?
    Well now that you mention it folks don't get incensed about PVP either, hm.

That's your prerogative, I guess.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    these bombs are doing way too much dmg. 8850 now. fix this D3
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Somebody must be in Round 8. Anyone know what the per bomb damage is then?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I think this is the price we pay for having 10 health packs now

Correction: it's the price they think we should pay for having 10 health packs now, but I think all this prick moves on their part (improve one thing and make something else terrible at the same time) hurt them in the long run. Instead of just you know, making the game more fun to play. Needing a perfect board to win is not that.

Um... I have yet to die to Ultron so far so... perfect board not really required. Just board manipulation skills. And this is still one of the more fun events (for me) that they have.

This. The most I have gotten hit by his bombs in one round is twice. Remember guys it is a match 3 game and does require skill. Also, this is the most puzzle ish of anything thrown at us. I personally find it refreshing, challenging and fun.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi and lerysh,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think the assumptions underlying your statements are wrong.

Board manipulation requires ap. Ap requires collecting tiles. Collecting the right tiles requires some luck in terms of tile placement. When bombs are 1-hit kills, it is entirely possible to have a character dropped by a stray unmatchable bomb before you can collect enough ap to manipulate the board. Good teams and good strategies can help, but luck is always a factor with this game mechanic, and especially for transitioners who have lower health rosters.

It's great that you haven't been hit by more than two bombs. Even two bombs can drop two characters if you didn't top off on health before the match (in round 6 or above). I just finished a match where a stack of 3 unwatchable bombs slowly marched down one side of the board while the game refused to give me any of the 3 colors I could have used to protect myself with board manipulation. What strategy could I have used to solve that puzzle?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Dauthi and lerysh,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think the assumptions underlying your statements are wrong.

Board manipulation requires ap. Ap requires collecting tiles. Collecting the right tiles requires some luck in terms of tile placement. When bombs are 1-hit kills, it is entirely possible to have a character dropped by a stray unmatchable bomb before you can collect enough ap to manipulate the board. Good teams and good strategies can help, but luck is always a factor with this game mechanic, and especially for transitioners who have lower health rosters.

It's great that you haven't been hit by more than two bombs. Even two bombs can drop two characters if you didn't top off on health before the match (in round 6 or above). I just finished a match where a stack of 3 unwatchable bombs slowly marched down one side of the board while the game refused to give me any of the 3 colors I could have used to protect myself with board manipulation. What strategy could I have used to solve that puzzle?

The reason I have been hit by two bombs is because sometimes there isn't anything you can do, but if you have played match 3s for a long time you can usually figure out how to get rid of most of them. I have played against goons an uncountable amount of times, and this is a ramped up version of that.

Players need to realize its not about collecting ap before the opponent like how the game usually flows, its about getting to the bombs and disarming them. Damage can come second. Maybe this is what is tripping some people up.

Again, I'm not talking about skills a character has, though many can help, I am talking about match 3 skills a player has. Ultron is just a hardcore match 3 puzzle.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Somebody must be in Round 8. Anyone know what the per bomb damage is then?

• Unknown
    Options
    Reading this thread starts to annoy me more than fighting Utron, good job.
    Apparently if I'm getting boards that only give me one possible match I just suck at game and need to l2p.
    I was fighting Ultron in first runaround and I was clearing him, sometimes getting hit by bomb and two. Except now it's impossible to survive that. I wouldn't even care if I would just wipe it like in a PvE goon node, there you just waste 3 health packs. But here losing means additionally not getting reward, losing one try permanently AND having to redo those stupid Gunner mission. And of course also hurting your alliance on top of that.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    Apparently if I'm getting boards that only give me one possible match I just suck at game and need to l2p.
    I was fighting Ultron in first runaround and I was clearing him, sometimes getting hit by bomb and two. Except now it's impossible to survive that. I wouldn't even care if I would just wipe it like in a PvE goon node, there you just waste 3 health packs. But here losing means additionally not getting reward, losing one try permanently AND having to redo those stupid Gunner mission. And of course also hurting your alliance on top of that.

I still detest the Gunners. There is no reason the Fighters should get to proc Swarm first and then let the Gunners proc Core Fuckyou afterwards based on what the Fighters do.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    Apparently if I'm getting boards that only give me one possible match I just suck at game and need to l2p

considering at least 3 different people ive seen in various ultron threads weren't using correct teams for Tetris Ultron, this may or may not apply to you.

No need to get mad. MPQ is 25% luck.
    Dauthi wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Dauthi and lerysh,

The reason I have been hit by two bombs is because sometimes there isn't anything you can do, but if you have played match 3s for a long time you can usually figure out how to get rid of most of them. I have played against goons an uncountable amount of times, and this is a ramped up version of that.

Players need to realize its not about collecting ap before the opponent like how the game usually flows, its about getting to the bombs and disarming them. Damage can come second. Maybe this is what is tripping some people up.

Again, I'm not talking about skills a character has, though many can help, I am talking about match 3 skills a player has. Ultron is just a hardcore match 3 puzzle.
    preach
    mjh wrote:
    these bombs are doing way too much dmg. 8850 now. fix this D3
    since no one seems to care, I'm going to try a different tactic:

we've already seen 3 different incarnations of Ultron, the ultron bomb damage is here to stay.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    johnnyzero wrote:
    Yeah, that was a team of stragglers after my other two teams got wiped by bad boards. My board manipulators are not very well leveled or covered. But I do have a link in my sig to my roster, I'll take some suggestions!

Just took a quick peak at your roster. Why not give 2* Hawkeye a shot at him. Partner him with someone who can make match fives and watch those speed shots stack up. As long as they are a couple rows from the bottom, they'll do nice damage on Ultron.

Maybe partner him with GSBW and Scarlet Witch. Scarlet Witch's blue will generate Purple (and possible a match 5 for a Speed Shot) and then use GSBW's purple to make match fives and take out bombs. Scarlet Witch's green gives a little bit of board control in an emergency, and GSBW's green can take out bombs if you line it up right.
    Tried this team out last night and it was great for Ultron... every now and then one guy would take the hit, but overall, it was great! Thanks for the tip.
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Bomb damage is really annoying but like someone above said it is somewhat refreshingly challenging when I'm in a good mood.

The worst thing about it is having to fight the ultron goons even after you lose. I'd probably accept the damage buff if you got no points when you are defeated and you are able to beat Ultron for full points before opening up the sub-nodes.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just had a board shuffle (no matches available) on Tetris Ulron... brought 4 bombs to the bottom, wiped my team.. was only the 6th turn, didn't get a single ability off.

That may need to be addressed.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My Steve has been missing the 5th blue forever. Have been using 2*Cap, MNMags and as long as the 3rd char takes the bomb, MNMags + Cap can finish it off. Only have died due to match damage taking out a character so far, but to be honest haven't hit this event as hard as last time.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just had a board shuffle (no matches available) on Tetris Ulron... brought 4 bombs to the bottom, wiped my team.. was only the 6th turn, didn't get a single ability off.

That may need to be addressed.

Sorry malcrof,

According to dauthi above, this is just a failure of your player skills. If you were better at match 3 games, you wouldn't have moved the board into an unplayable state.

So take some time to reflect on what you did wrong, and try to be better a person. The fault was all yours. . .

/sarcasm