Ultron bomb damage out of control?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess their crack playtesters reported that the event was way more fun when they wiped out sometimes, and at 4k damage per bomb, that just wasn't happening...
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    LOL, I just had a stacked series of bombs. Took out LThor, Cage and LCap in one move.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is doing more than that in round 4...
  • And now it's over 14k in round 7? What the what?

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I can somewhat understand it though? The original intent was to damage him, even if you lose, so maybe they're trying to focus on that aspect of it.

Still seems a bit excessive even under that logic.
  • Malcrof
    And now it's over 14k in round 7? What the what?

Yeah, it's kind of weird. I can somewhat understand it though? The original intent was to damage him, even if you lose, so maybe they're trying to focus on that aspect of it.

They probably started at 1 damage.. but community scaling messed it up for everyone!

kidding...

i think
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

They probably started at 1 damage.. but community scaling messed it up for everyone!

kidding...

i think
    I was actually wondering when it first started if the event was scaled, since it was significantly easier the last two times and my roster has grown a lot since then... but then I hopped on here and saw that everyone is experiencing this ridiculousness.
  • eh, of all the things wrong with ultron event, his bomb damage is practically a non-factor
  • DrStrange-616
    raisinbman wrote:
    eh, of all the things wrong with ultron event, his bomb damage is practically a non-factor

I'd agree with you, but you're wrong. It is a factor, an important one. icon_razz.gif
  • JVReal
    raisinbman wrote:
    eh, of all the things wrong with ultron event, his bomb damage is practically a non-factor
    It is the biggest factor for me and my under leveled roster. The sentry nodes aren't a problem, I have no Vision (sold him unaware that this event was coming) and am 40K away from getting him, so I'm bummed about all the Tokens I missed from those two nodes thus far.

It's those Ultron bombs that are decimating my roster and eating up my health packs. Fix those and I don't mind the event.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015

We should not have to make guesses about a major change like this.

Would it hard for the devs to post a brief message and COB last Friday stating:

"Hey everyone. We are running avengers v, ultron again next week. We have made some changes to (hopefully) address the server crash issue and intra-alliance competition. We have also tweaked his health and bomb damage a little as a balancing experiment. We will observe the results this round, with older 3* rewards, and may implement some additional balance changes before we run the event again for new character rewards. Good luck!"

That took me a few minutes to write. It would not have made everyone happy, and it would not have answered everyone's questions. But I think it would have been vastly superior to the blanket silence that we got.
  • DrStrange-616
    The silence is so puzzling.

Maybe they're too embarassed?
    Maybe they forgot where the forum is?
    Maybe Kang has time traveled to their offices and has chained them to their desks until they add him to the game?
  • JVReal
    Vhailorx wrote:

We should not have to make guesses about a major change like this.

Would it hard for the devs to post a brief message and COB last Friday stating:

"Hey everyone. We are running avangers v, ultron again next week. We have made some changes to (hopefully) address the server crash issue and intra-alliance competition. We have also tweaked his health and bomb damage a little as a balancing experiment. We will observe the results this round, with older 3* rewards, and may implement some additional balance changes before we run the event again for new character rewards. Good luck!"

That took me a few minutes to write. It would not have made everyone happy, and it would not have answered everyone's questions. But I think it would have been vastly superior to the blanket silence that we got.
    I agree.

Had we received that message, I would have been just fine with it. I would have known they tweaked it for testing, i would have known they would expect feedback, and I would know it was old rewards to prevent outrage should it prove to be too difficult.

Instead, we are going under the assumptions that it will escalate again for a second run just like last time... and to escalate this would be horrific... and we are assuming that the unknown 4* will be rewarded in the second run... but all of it is just guesswork.
  • raisinbman wrote:

I'd agree with you, but you're wrong. It is a factor, an important one. icon_razz.gif
    I disagree. PVE already has "Ultron" and "Ultron Bomb Damage".

Putting some perspective behind it, if you're using the same, small pool of characters against Ultron/Ultron essentials, sure it'd suck to have them taken out, but really, if you have access to any icon_captainamerica.png you should be fine 75% of the time.

PS: I'd argue sheepy rewards, no communication, no notice and not-fixed-ultron-bugs-since-last-time are worse than Ultron bomb damage.
    JVReal wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    It is the biggest factor for me and my under leveled roster. The sentry nodes aren't a problem, I have no Vision (sold him unaware that this event was coming) and am 40K away from getting him, so I'm bummed about all the Tokens I missed from those two nodes thus far.

It's those Ultron bombs that are decimating my roster and eating up my health packs. Fix those and I don't mind the event.

You already said you had a limited roster so I'll try to be very very nice(mods are you watching?): Your limited roster is probably hurting you more than ultron bombs are. Expand your roster, get some levels, get anti-ultron characters, and be prepared for Ant-Man Ultron whenever his movie comes out.

Don't sell any character if you plan to PVE or PVP. Roster variety is key to defeating ultron, not levels.
    The silence is so puzzling.

Maybe they're too embarassed?
    Maybe they forgot where the forum is?
    Maybe Kang has time traveled to their offices and has chained them to their desks until they add him to the game?

They said they would "speak in a day or so", but who knows what they're gonna say. Maybe they'll say they will keep community scaling icon_cool.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    There's a community video supposedly coming in the next couple of days according to Ice.

Hopefully it will answer some of the questions that we have about the event...

Still, a live interactive session taking place on the forums daily is going to yield a lot more information that people care about that a once a month one sided conversation with the community.
  • JVReal wrote:
    This is not an issue of board control... nothing I can do here. And at 8.5K per bomb... it was a no-win situation. Whole team dead with bombs to spare. And this was my last three buffed characters.

None of the 3 characters in your image have any board manipulation or control abilities to impact an Ultron fight. It's better to bring an underleveled character that can either move tiles or create match 4+, or any kind of board shake as a last resort, which those 3 are not capable of.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    There's a community video supposedly coming in the next couple of days according to Ice.

Hopefully it will answer some of the questions that we have about the event...

Still, a live interactive session taking place on the forums daily is going to yield a lot more information that people care about that a once a month one sided conversation with the community.
    I'd settle for them just posting "we're aware of this/we're working on it/thanks for telling us" on the forums/twitter/facebook/at a tea party.
  • JVReal
    raisinbman wrote:
    You already said you had a limited roster so I'll try to be very very nice(mods are you watching?): Your limited roster is probably hurting you more than ultron bombs are. Expand your roster, get some levels, get anti-ultron characters, and be prepared for Ant-Man Ultron whenever his movie comes out.

Don't sell any character if you plan to PVE or PVP. Roster variety is key to defeating ultron, not levels.

Yeah, working on it. It's grown significantly since DDQ was instituted. I'm making some headway in PVP getting some covers there too. The ever present ISO shortage in leveling them is also a dilemma, but I've been prioritizing the ones I use in PVP mostly first.

I did finally get Steve Rogers to 2/2/4 but haven't seen a cover for him in a while. I've got him at 102 which is as high as he can go. I've not used him on Ultron yet, but I might give it a shot. Worried that by the time I collect enough blue, everyone will be dead.
    Haetron wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    This is not an issue of board control... nothing I can do here. And at 8.5K per bomb... it was a no-win situation. Whole team dead with bombs to spare. And this was my last three buffed characters.

None of the 3 characters in your image have any board manipulation or control abilities to impact an Ultron fight. It's better to bring an underleveled character that can either move tiles or create match 4+, or any kind of board shake as a last resort, which those 3 are not capable of.
    Yeah, that was a team of stragglers after my other two teams got wiped by bad boards. My board manipulators are not very well leveled or covered. But I do have a link in my sig to my roster, I'll take some suggestions!
    In all fairness, I don't know any 3* characters that have 14K health that could take one hit. No matter what character you have, if they don't have the AP, and don't have the health, they don't stand a chance against a stray bomb.
  • JVReal wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Yeah, working on it. It's grown significantly since DDQ was instituted. I'm making some headway in PVP getting some covers there too. The ever present ISO shortage in leveling them is also a dilemma, but I've been prioritizing the ones I use in PVP mostly first.

I did finally get Steve Rogers to 2/2/4 but haven't seen a cover for him in a while. I've got him at 102 which is as high as he can go. I've not used him on Ultron yet, but I might give it a shot. Worried that by the time I collect enough blue, everyone will be dead.

In all fairness, I don't know any 3* characters that have 14K health that could take one hit. No matter what character you have, if they don't have the AP, and don't have the health, they don't stand a chance against a stray bomb.

My 3*Cap is only 118 and helping take down level 300 Ultron(and he's fought higher ultrons from other events). Hell, if I were a really desperate 2* player I'd do 2*Cap/2*Mag + anyone(probably Thor, or jugg could work I guess) and test my luck
  • Malcrof
    Does anyone remember how many HP he had, and what the Bomb damage was on the Guantlet Ultron tetris node?
  • JVReal wrote:
    Yeah, that was a team of stragglers after my other two teams got wiped by bad boards. My board manipulators are not very well leveled or covered. But I do have a link in my sig to my roster, I'll take some suggestions!

Mind you, Im facing lower rounds, but Im in a similar situation of 1 bomb = Dead character, and 2* Mags has been a life saver. If you can't match a bomb, match purple, save it for unmatchable bombs, and try to create either a blue match for a blue bomb, a match 4 column for the bomb otherwise. It's not always possible, but I suspect he's easily over looked when he's pretty decent for the Ultron fight.