Ultron bomb damage out of control?

Options

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I have heard all of the arguments from those who don't seem to mind this higher bomb damage (e.g. pylgrim, dauthi, lerysh, etc). And I have to say that I still don't find this setup very fun.

It's entirely feast or famine, either a total wipe, or a near-perfect victory (or sometimes a 2/3 perfect victory with one character sacrificed to a stray bomb). Strategy and playstyle do affect the likelihood of victory (it's important to play so as to minimize the rate of bomb-fall, and it's essential to bring characters that can control the board), but sometimes bombs are just unavoidable, or the board has no viable matches after ultron destroys a level, leading to a board shuffle that places bombs on the bottom. I find that sort of dumb luck irritating.

Wouldn't it be better to have two or three times as many bombs falling, but doing 1/2 or 1/3 of the damage? more bombs would be avoided by skill and strategy, but poor luck wouldn't mean insta-death, and it would require more resource management from the player (do you take a bomb hit on my tank, who will survive, but will be hurt for the next match, or a sacrificial support, who will die and need a health pack?). It seems to me that such an arrangement would have the same damage output (and thus project a similar threat level), while feeling less hit-or-miss. It might also feel more puzzle-y.

nah, feels plenty puzzly too me. Sometimes you win at solitaire, sometimes you lose

I have to say that I completely agree with this. If it weren't for the high bomb damage, I'd never, ever lose in that node. You have all the odds at your favour (i.e. full control over the board, turn after turn) but a significant chance of being screwed by chance. That makes you plan every single move as optimally as possible to minimise bad the impact of bad luck. Sometimes things seem dire and you have to gamble on a move that will bring new tiles into the board that hopefully will allow you to match away bombs, etc. It is exciting because the danger is real; it is, as vhailor says all or nothing but I think that's actually a positive as usually the rest of the MPQ experience are shades of gray (i.e. you win consistently but your heroes quickly accumulate damage across battles).

As I see it, it is refreshingly different, exciting and rewarding of strategical thinking more than other events are.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After switching to SW (5/3/5 lvl 150), 2*Hawkeye (3/5/5 lvl 94), GSBW (5/3/5 lvl 125), I've drastically improved my odds of winning. In fact I went through all of level 7 and most of level 8 (until I stopped at 800k to let other alliance members reach 800K in case they haven't fixed the point discrepancy) with only losing once and that was a retreat after it was obvious the board was totally out of control and 2 guys down.

I sacrifice Hawkeye first, his Speed shot triggered by SW purple generation is helpful, but not as essential as SW generating purple for GSBW to create match 4's AND green. SW is the second one to sacrifice to the stray Ultron Bomb. And several times, GSBW has taken Ultron on all by her lonesome. She is the anti-Ultron.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm done with this event, and I didn't wipe once, but I can definitely sympathize with those who don't have an optimal character set to deal with this node. The condescending dickishness in this thread was uncalled for. Instead of telling people they must suck at match-3, or implying they must be trying to lose, why not be constructive, ask what they have in their roster, and suggest a workable combination.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Imagine how this event is for people without highly leveled 3 or 4 stars.
    The idea is cool and all but pretty much all parts of the even don't work with bejeweled type game play.

Im rocking Ultron using only one maxed char. I have dozens, but only one gets used (and that is mostly as a meat shield, which anyone can do past 6). Its all about who, covers and how they are used. And i still HATE that the bombs are nuclear. Id opt for 50% more of them doing 1/4 the damage.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Imagine how this event is for people without highly leveled 3 or 4 stars.
    The idea is cool and all but pretty much all parts of the even don't work with bejeweled type game play.

Im rocking Ultron using only one maxed char. I have dozens, but only one gets used (and that is mostly as a meat shield, which anyone can do past 6). Its all about who, covers and how they are used. And i still HATE that the bombs are nuclear. Id opt for 50% more of them doing 1/4 the damage.
    yes, give ultron more health to eat through, but when a maxed lthor can't take one bomb, blegh.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is Starlord able to overwrite bombs with his purple?
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    how in the world does icon_scarletwitch.png help with Ultron? Ultron cannot be stunned and her green is too random to target a bomb. I can also see her bluetile.png causing a cascade that brings a bomb right to the bottom
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mjh wrote:
    how in the world does icon_scarletwitch.png help with Ultron? Ultron cannot be stunned and her green is too random to target a bomb. I can also see her bluetile.png causing a cascade that brings a bomb right to the bottom
    i just breezed through lvl 350 ultron twice with witch/**hawk/gsbw. all you need is one cd to go off and one early purple match and from there on its cake. all witch is for is to feed gsbw purple and feed hawk criticals. it does seem risky but after a day of difficulty yesterday with cap/cyc/mnmags, I'm trying this until i wipe with them.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    after a day of difficulty yesterday with cap/cyc/mnmags

Funny how that is my team, sometimes subbing out mnmags for gsbw and i've wiped maybe 3 times in all. Round 8 now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:

yes, give ultron more health to eat through, but when a maxed lthor can't take one bomb, blegh.

And then the fight is like every other MPQ fight where you just build AP and damage ability the boss to death, taking attrition damage while you do so.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The thing I just dont like about the last couple of rounds of Ultron is its pure luck whether you beat him or not. If those bombs land in the wrong place all you can do is watch them fall to the bottom and your eventual death. It would be more fair if we had powers to change them or even just move them.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:

And then the fight is like every other MPQ fight where you just build AP and damage ability the boss to death, taking attrition damage while you do so.

That is true. Maybe 7k damage at round 8 would be a good compromise. A low health maxed three start (say, laken) would get one shot, but then a high health char would be able to eat one though probably not one and match damage. Keeps some of the stress but allows for minor mistakes and/or bad boards.
  • JVReal
    Options
    mjh wrote:
    Like TxMoose said, She's only there to make purpletile.png for OBW and to possibly generate purplecrit.png to get Quick Shot activated. Don't use Green for anyone but GSBW, and don't even bother with Hawkeye's Blue. Don't use Hawkeyes Red, save the red for GSBW.

She doesn't shake the board that bad at all, when the CD tile generates, it will be near the bottom of the board anyway and get destroyed before it spawns, but the mild disturbance is worth it to get GSBW started.

Build purpletile.png AP up, but don't use it until you have to. Match away as many bombs as you can, if it's not matchworthy yet, match redtile.pngpurpletile.png or greentile.png and wait for the top row. By the time the bomb is halfway down the board and it's looking like you can't drop tiles down around it to match, look to see if you can use GSBW to create match 4's to destroy the row the bomb is in either horizontal or Vertical. You should do this by the time it's halfway down the board so that you have time to clear any TU tiles that may be in the way of a match 4. The added bonus is you are generating greentile.png for her big attack, but don't use them until you absolutely have to. I prioritize the moves as Purple, then Red then Green. If I can clear one or two bombs with match 4's I'll use purple. If there's too many TU in the way to get it working, I'll use her Red ability to blast away bombs so I'll let a few more bombs show up so I can try to take out more than 1 with each shot. I use Green when the AP is close to 30, or when there are bombs scattered and I can't use purple or Red yet. I think GSBW might be the only character whose EVERY move is effective against Ultron.

If GSBW dies, retreat.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tried my 3/4/3 SW today with Ultron.. all of her cd tiles were placed in the bottom 2 rows, never once got to see one go off. Good news though, her hex bolt does take care of bombs.

Still lost , Ultron had 3400 hp left.. i just needed 1 more turn.. ugh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    After wiping a few times in a row on round 7 (though I got a good number of points out of each one), I tried IW/GSBW/XF a few times and never had a bomb go off.
  • JVReal
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Tried my 3/4/3 SW today with Ultron.. all of her cd tiles were placed in the bottom 2 rows, never once got to see one go off. Good news though, her hex bolt does take care of bombs.

Still lost , Ultron had 3400 hp left.. i just needed 1 more turn.. ugh.
    How many covers do you have on her Green?
  • Unknown
    Options
    For me, this ultron event is the worst of the three so far. The bomb damage? Grief, 10k per bomb, and sheer luck if you happen to get the colours right. And for a win? Marvel. Wow.

Not enjoying the event, so not continuing. I guess there are enough different events to suit everyone's tastes, and this one is not for me. I'll do the early stages for the token rewards, but then walk off. Life is too short for that mess of a game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Is Starlord able to overwrite bombs with his purple?
    Yes America/Starlord/Invis can overwrite Ultron bombs
    mjh wrote:

she helps because she's a queen, why would we b trying to stun ultron? lol why would we be using reality crush period? lol? Her green isn't 'too random', lol,

if u think all her blue does is bring bombs to bottom sounds like shes not the char for u
    The thing I just dont like about the last couple of rounds of Ultron is its pure luck whether you beat him or not. If those bombs land in the wrong place all you can do is watch them fall to the bottom and your eventual death. It would be more fair if we had powers to change them or even just move them.

did u read the thread? many people, after seeing characters I(and others) have suggested have improved their ultron beatdown skills. Meaning NOT luck.
    Twombley wrote:
    For me, this ultron event is the worst of the three so far. The bomb damage? Grief, 10k per bomb, and sheer luck if you happen to get the colours right. And for a win? Marvel. Wow.

Not enjoying the event, so not continuing. I guess there are enough different events to suit everyone's tastes, and this one is not for me. I'll do the early stages for the token rewards, but then walk off. Life is too short for that mess of a game.
    not luck as I just said
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I have to say that I completely agree with this. If it weren't for the high bomb damage, I'd never, ever lose in that node. You have all the odds at your favour (i.e. full control over the board, turn after turn) but a significant chance of being screwed by chance. That makes you plan every single move as optimally as possible to minimise bad the impact of bad luck. Sometimes things seem dire and you have to gamble on a move that will bring new tiles into the board that hopefully will allow you to match away bombs, etc. It is exciting because the danger is real; it is, as vhailor says all or nothing but I think that's actually a positive as usually the rest of the MPQ experience are shades of gray (i.e. you win consistently but your heroes quickly accumulate damage across battles).

As I see it, it is refreshingly different, exciting and rewarding of strategical thinking more than other events are.

Agreed. It is exhilarating to snag a 4 match next to a bomb in hope it will drop a color you need next to it, or using your match 3 skills to maneuver 2 bombs in places where they can be double matched in one turn. When all else fails, and a bomb is about to hit, instead of giving up I find it fun to use a shake-up or mix-up ability and see what luck will deal me.

I am on round 8 and have wiped a couple times now, but still had fun struggling to the last bomb drop. Board manipulation through player skill and character abilities have never been so relevant, so it's nice to see a new skill-set being put in the spotlight to succeed. You either find a way to match the bombs with them, or die trying.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Agreed. It is exhilarating to snag a 4 match next to a bomb in hope it will drop a color you need next to it, or using your match 3 skills to maneuver 2 bombs in places where they can be double matched in one turn. When all else fails, and a bomb is about to hit, instead of giving up I find it fun to use a shake-up or mix-up ability and see what luck will deal me.

I am on round 8 and have wiped a couple times now, but still had fun struggling to the last bomb drop. Board manipulation through player skill and character abilities have never been so relevant, so it's nice to see a new skill-set being put in the spotlight to succeed. You either find a way to match the bombs with them, or die trying.

Do both of you think that your enjoyment of this event would be lessened if there were twice or thrice as many bombs that each did 1/2 or 1/3rd of the damage? Pylgrim obliquely addressed this suggestion saying that he would never lose if bomb damage were lower. But he didn't discuss the idea of lower damage AND more bombs. And what about you Dauthi?