Ultron bomb damage out of control?

Options

Comments

• cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Does hex bolt or her passive take out bombs?

No idea, didn't come up, but her passive + deceptive tactics spam did seem to make things alot more managable. thanks for the tip raisinbman
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just used 3*cap/2*mag/baby witch(3/2/3) to take down tetris ultron
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    FIghting Ultron primarily with LCap and Cyclops, then adding a 3rd wheel, often XF. Cyclops is really just there to generate red for Cap.

Rounds 1-6 are manageable because everyone can usually survive a single bomb hit if there haven't been some ugly Ultron cascades before. Once you're into round 7 it's usually either a win with almost no damage or a loss. Lots of luck factors in the board layout if Ultron gets a bomb or two moving that you simply can't get a match on.

If you're in 1 hit kill territory, I would suggest swapping Magneto 2 star, or GSBW , for XF, if you have their purple abilities covered. Their abilities are more precise board manipulators as you can possible match away blue or green bombs respectively, or create column match 4-5s if bomb color is an issue. It's not fool proof, and TU tiles may cause an issue. Mags has the bonus of being cheaper and producing red tiles for your cap, while GSBW has the extra tool of Pistols if you have the red and no other bomb removal options, in theory at least. I haven't had the chance to try that.

Board shake is BAD, because at times it may work well and save you, but its generally uncontrollable, will cause cascades, and will cause bombs to drop at an accelerated rate. The Tetris Ultron fight requires precision, so giving up over all damage for a longer match with less bomb risk is probably the best scenario.

Using XF almost always just for his black. It's especially strong because Ultron is constantly refreshing the board, so you can wait for an above average surgical strike. Black board shake isn't too worrying because you know exactly what it's going to do beforehand.

Green gets used as a desperation last resort, or if I have a very safe board (e.g. just one bomb up high) and Cap red ready to go.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Didn't have him first run, so sorry if this has been answered. Can a bomb kill an invisible PX?
  • Unknown
    Options
    starlord purple should replace ultron's tile from its description, i dont have a starlord to test however
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Didn't have him first run, so sorry if this has been answered. Can a bomb kill an invisible PX?

No, just remember you have to move the bomb to the bottom row with him or if he is last have enough to recast when a bomb is about to hit the bottom.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Definitely have to boost to see consistent results.
    And this is where I call shenanigans.
    Boosting is the part of the game that reduces the variance in the initial board layout. So you stack the deck in your favor and say that it works 75% of the time.
    This is the easy round, so without boosting, say people with good rosters wipe just 50% of the time. The hard round, which is quite possibly the MOST grindy event that MPQ has ever produced, you have to face Ultron countless times. If the intent is to drive boost sales, then yes, the devs have done a good job with the design.
    raisinbman wrote:
    PS: I'd argue sheepy rewards, no communication, no notice and not-fixed-ultron-bugs-since-last-time are worse than Ultron bomb damage.
    I'd put it on par if it makes it to the next round icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I'm totally zen on the bomb damage with the 10 healthpack.pngs on easy mode, but I hope this will spur some change before the next round if/when the new character is introduced.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just had a board shuffle (no matches available) on Tetris Ulron... brought 4 bombs to the bottom, wiped my team.. was only the 6th turn, didn't get a single ability off.

That may need to be addressed.

Sorry malcrof,

According to dauthi above, this is just a failure of your player skills. If you were better at match 3 games, you wouldn't have moved the board into an unplayable state.

So take some time to reflect on what you did wrong, and try to be better a person. The fault was all yours. . .

/sarcasm

What do you think were the chances it would shuffle bombs to the bottom? I'm not sure if you took statistics in high school or college, but my guess all 4 going to the bottom would be below a 1% chance. I wouldn't judge the game based on a freak accident. I like to bring Loki along for when a bomb is about to hit, and chances are it will go to the top or middle, which is better than the bomb going off next turn.

Similarly, the chances of starting with a bad board for where ultron drops the bombs is pretty low as well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    noobprime wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Definitely have to boost to see consistent results.
    And this is where I call shenanigans.
    Boosting is the part of the game that reduces the variance in the initial board layout. So you stack the deck in your favor and say that it works 75% of the time.
    This is the easy round, so without boosting, say people with good rosters wipe just 50% of the time. The hard round, which is quite possibly the MOST grindy event that MPQ has ever produced, you have to face Ultron countless times. If the intent is to drive boost sales, then yes, the devs have done a good job with the design.
    raisinbman wrote:
    PS: I'd argue sheepy rewards, no communication, no notice and not-fixed-ultron-bugs-since-last-time are worse than Ultron bomb damage.
    I'd put it on par if it makes it to the next round icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I'm totally zen on the bomb damage with the 10 healthpack.pngs on easy mode, but I hope this will spur some change before the next round if/when the new character is introduced.

I don't disagree with you maam/sir, this is an event for vision/3*marv rewards. If difficulty is supposed to match effort, all 6 covers should practically be 4*.

Yes, boosting stacks the deck, but, honestly, there aren't many fair fights in this game. Goons are stacking the deck. 5/5/5 characters are stacking the deck. Leveling any character past its natural limit is stacking the deck.

I don't care about being fair to the AI because it doesn't care about being fair to me.

I hope they reduce the damage/grindiness too, but seeing as D3 said (months?) ago they "adjusted" ultron from the hulkbuster incident, this is the result. And its not looking good. I'm just a realist about it.

If folks want to beat Ultron, boost. I'm not too torn about using HP boosts since offseason PVP is a joke right now(and PVE too)
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Does hex bolt or her passive take out bombs?

No idea, didn't come up, but her passive + deceptive tactics spam did seem to make things alot more managable. thanks for the tip raisinbman

Yes, both can wipe bombs off the board. And paired with GSBW they kick butt. Throw in Blade/Laken for some extra hurt.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Ultron bomb has been one-shotting me starting in round 7. As a player whose highest level character is a 181 xf, my roster simply don't have the health to absorb 13k bomb damage. icon_cry.gif

I went 1-12 against round 7 ultron prime, and so far managed to down round 8 prime 4x out of 12. Ouch. icon_redface.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    Ultron bomb has been one-shotting me starting in round 7. As a player whose highest level character is a 181 xf, my roster simply don't have the health to absorb 13k bomb damage. icon_cry.gif

I went 1-12 against round 7 ultron prime, and so far managed to down round 8 prime 4x out of 12. Ouch. icon_redface.gif
    no one's roster has the health to deal with round 7/8 bomb dmg
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    puppychow wrote:

Which is why I'd like to know why he's listed as "Trivial" in my round 7....
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    puppychow wrote:

He is trivial as long as you don't let the bomb get to the bottom icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    puppychow wrote:

He is trivial as long as you don't let the bomb get to the bottom icon_e_biggrin.gif

He really is. You have so much control over the board that tons of bad luck are necessary to engineer a situation that you cannot get yourself out of with a team of board-shakers. By the way, Bullseye's Deadly Precision is one of the best abilities there is in the game to deal with Ultron.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hex Bolt needs 5 covers before it will affect bomb tiles. Same with IW Force Bubbles. Obviously lining up match 4s on them is effective at any cover strength. General rule is if it lists a group of special tiles (I.E. Strike/Attack/Protect) like Daredevil's purpleflag.png then it will not affect bombs. If it says "any" special tile then it will affect bombs.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Imagine how this event is for people without highly leveled 3 or 4 stars.
    The idea is cool and all but pretty much all parts of the even don't work with bejeweled type game play.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The damage overall is fairly unfriendly to those without highly leveled 3 or 4 stars flat out.
    It just doesn't suit the puzzle gameplay well at all to me.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have heard all of the arguments from those who don't seem to mind this higher bomb damage (e.g. pylgrim, dauthi, lerysh, etc). And I have to say that I still don't find this setup very fun.

It's entirely feast or famine, either a total wipe, or a near-perfect victory (or sometimes a 2/3 perfect victory with one character sacrificed to a stray bomb). Strategy and playstyle do affect the likelihood of victory (it's important to play so as to minimize the rate of bomb-fall, and it's essential to bring characters that can control the board), but sometimes bombs are just unavoidable, or the board has no viable matches after ultron destroys a level, leading to a board shuffle that places bombs on the bottom. I find that sort of dumb luck irritating.

Wouldn't it be better to have two or three times as many bombs falling, but doing 1/2 or 1/3 of the damage? more bombs would be avoided by skill and strategy, but poor luck wouldn't mean insta-death, and it would require more resource management from the player (do you take a bomb hit on my tank, who will survive, but will be hurt for the next match, or a sacrificial support, who will die and need a health pack?). It seems to me that such an arrangement would have the same damage output (and thus project a similar threat level), while feeling less hit-or-miss. It might also feel more puzzle-y.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    puppychow wrote:

remember in game difficulty is NOT based on what u find trivial/easy/normal/hard/deadly icon_cool.gif
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I have heard all of the arguments from those who don't seem to mind this higher bomb damage (e.g. pylgrim, dauthi, lerysh, etc). And I have to say that I still don't find this setup very fun.

It's entirely feast or famine, either a total wipe, or a near-perfect victory (or sometimes a 2/3 perfect victory with one character sacrificed to a stray bomb). Strategy and playstyle do affect the likelihood of victory (it's important to play so as to minimize the rate of bomb-fall, and it's essential to bring characters that can control the board), but sometimes bombs are just unavoidable, or the board has no viable matches after ultron destroys a level, leading to a board shuffle that places bombs on the bottom. I find that sort of dumb luck irritating.

Wouldn't it be better to have two or three times as many bombs falling, but doing 1/2 or 1/3 of the damage? more bombs would be avoided by skill and strategy, but poor luck wouldn't mean insta-death, and it would require more resource management from the player (do you take a bomb hit on my tank, who will survive, but will be hurt for the next match, or a sacrificial support, who will die and need a health pack?). It seems to me that such an arrangement would have the same damage output (and thus project a similar threat level), while feeling less hit-or-miss. It might also feel more puzzle-y.

nah, feels plenty puzzly too me. Sometimes you win at solitaire, sometimes you lose