Ultron Run 1 Issues - UPDATE 5/4 12:30p EDT

Comments

• Since they didn't take the very simple solution of extending the event by a day (and delay the second event correspondingly) now they're stuck with an increasing set of unreasonable demands from players as time passes, since the setback from the first event multiplies as time passes so people start expecting more and more, but this is their fault. They should've realized that unlike a MMORPG where not being able to play a day sets you back a day, in MPQ unable to play a day not only ruins all your event finishes but because of the structure of requiring what's from previous event to do well in next event this compounds your losses. I got 1 million easily the first time but without a SW cover it's going to take a pretty heroic effort to hit 1 million this time around missing those 2 nodes and that's just the reasonable part. I could easily lie and say that had my alliance all got our SW cover we'd be clearing round 8 now. Yes I'm outright lying here but how can you prove me wrong? Of course other players can legitmately make this claim without lying. Oh and what about the other events? I went from neg 1K to neg 8K for missing the last refresh on Heroic Oscorp (9pm PST slice), and while I somehow made up that deficit at the end, any other player in a similar situation can easily claim that they'd have finished top whatever had they not been set back by a similar amount. Same applies to Earth's Mightiest.

By the way, if they're not going to be overly generous with compensation, I rather they give us nothing at all. That is, if they give nothing I can just say well D3 doesn't like us. If they give us 2 heroic tokens and expect to call that even, that'd mean that not only D3 doesn't like us but they also think we're fools.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Just curious about something. Now, it definitely was a bunch of **** how they ran these events with so many errors, and the compounding of missing rewards impact on the Ultron round 2 event. But, how many of you people complaining actually spend money on this game? I mean real money, like $50+ in a year? I have spent $0 on this game the entire time I had it, so I feel like while a lot of this stuff is annoying, I can't really complain since I am getting a free game (ignoring the value of my time). A part of why I haven't spent any money on this game is because there is no point. They make the value per dollar tiny, so just putting $10 into the game gives you nothing. And they also constantly change characters after you spend money on them. So they made bad choices that prevent me from wanting to spend money. But I can't really complain about all this **** because I am not giving them anything.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,395 Chairperson of the Boards
    you know when you look at it it was just plain stupid to run the event. You run the event to get new people to join, then after the event ends you go, O we dont play that way anymore, now you have to play like this..... I expect most will just leave why show them a feature that is not even a part of the game
  • notamutant wrote:
    Just curious about something. Now, it definitely was a bunch of **** how they ran these events with so many errors, and the compounding of missing rewards impact on the Ultron round 2 event. But, how many of you people complaining actually spend money on this game? I mean real money, like $50+ in a year? I have spent $0 on this game the entire time I had it, so I feel like while a lot of this stuff is annoying, I can't really complain since I am getting a free game (ignoring the value of my time). A part of why I haven't spent any money on this game is because there is no point. They make the value per dollar tiny, so just putting $10 into the game gives you nothing. And they also constantly change characters after you spend money on them. So they made bad choices that prevent me from wanting to spend money. But I can't really complain about all this **** because I am not giving them anything.

While the opinion of those who don't spend much (or any) money isn't very valuable, it's also not 0. This isn't because devs should care about the non/low spending guys for being good human beings, but that the community itself is a form of revenue even if a lot of guys aren't paying. In F2P games, studies show that an overwhelmingly percentage of the revenue comes from whales. But whales spend money to be powerful. If there are only whales you wouldn't be more powerful than the average player. It's because there are a lot of non spending punching bags that it feels like your money/effort gets you something compared to those without money/effort. If everyone spent/played as much as you, you'd be finishing at around top 250 in every PvP event and top 500 in every PvE event, and that wouldn't be very fun at all.

I think this game has a problem with monetization because there's too much stuff you can get without spending money. In most similar games upgrading or winning a cover wouldn't even be an option unless you're like the top 100 players of the world and even then you'll probably just get one 3* cover. You'd have to get your characters solely from comic packs. Now being generous isn't inherently a bad idea, but the game so far hasn't been very good at rewarding you for having a wide diverse roster so the game's generousity just means you max out (possibly spend some money) the 3 currently most powerful characters and then never spend any money again because you can only use 3 guys. Looking at the Ultron event it seems to be designed such that rotating team is a good idea simply because you accumulate damage way too fast if you stick with the same team all the time, but overall the game is not very successful at encouraging a large number of characters to be used.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

While the opinion of those who don't spend much (or any) money isn't very valuable, it's also not 0. This isn't because devs should care about the non/low spending guys for being good human beings, but that the community itself is a form of revenue even if a lot of guys aren't paying. In F2P games, studies show that an overwhelmingly percentage of the revenue comes from whales. But whales spend money to be powerful. If there are only whales you wouldn't be more powerful than the average player. It's because there are a lot of non spending punching bags that it feels like your money/effort gets you something compared to those without money/effort. If everyone spent/played as much as you, you'd be finishing at around top 250 in every PvP event and top 500 in every PvE event, and that wouldn't be very fun at all.

So, I think you make a good point about the community in the game and whales not being whales if there aren't a bunch of other weaker players. Therefore, you say that the devs should care about the satisfaction of non-paying players, so there are people for the whales to crush. The problem with that logic is that 1) The forum contains a pretty small percentage of the players in the game, and 2) The people playing on the forum are more likely to be those top players that got to be so strong without spending any money.

We are exactly the types of players the devs DON'T want. I manage to come top 50 in almost all PvE and PvPs. I have every character except for some 1 and 2 stars that I don't need. I don't have any maxed 4 star besides X-Force, but I also don't really need them since I can still do well without. So I am competing with the whales, and giving them a run for their money, and I am not even paying a dime. So if I complain on the forums, the devs response should be "Good! Maybe we can get this top tier FTP player to quit the game so the whales will feel stronger and put more money in, or newer players will stand more of a chance." At least, that is what I might think from a purely business perspective. Customer satisfaction is important. But you also want to pick your customers. As a dev, I wouldn't want a customer that doesn't actually pay for anything, but is constantly submitting support tickets for additional prizes, and taking up dev time on the forum with complaints.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Disagree. Even if everybody on the forums is someone who's never spent a penny on the game (clearly not true), perception matters. If the forum WERE populated by a demographic Demiurge wanted to run off, and they did so successfully, new players would find the forums and discover a ghost town.

"Huh, I guess nobody plays this game. I'll find something else." That isn't how you convert non-spenders into spenders, and that isn't how you retain new players to balance any attrition from the ranks.

Their voice may not carry the same weight, but actively trying to drive people off would be poor business.

Something something more flies with honey than vinegar.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be a bad business indeed if you ignored your customer until they actually paid for some merchandise, then you are all smiles and sunshine.

A customer buys somewhere because they feel good buying there. If they get treated like **** because they haven't spent any money, they will take it elsewhere. I spend more money at a bar with no Cover Charge and a great welcoming atmosphere I can have fun in, than I do at a bar with a cover and entitled patrons.

FTP users can be less bias because they don't have to justify that the money they spent on the game was worth it. FTP tests the games mechanics better than people throwing cash at a game.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    D3 is between a rock and a hard place w/ the ultron fiasco. On the one hand, they clearly have a schedule of events mapped out, and there is no wiggle room for them to extend an event by a day. On the other hand, there is a question of fairness (or perception thereof) to players who couldn't obtain the SW/QS covers because server issues and the wounds being inflamed even further once it is discovered that the missed SW cover is needed for TWO essential nodes in the subsequent ultron event. With time being of the essence in coming up w/ a plan to save the subsequent event for these aggrieved players, what does D3 do? Make promises to distribute covers that players were close to getting, and doing so when the event is halfway over. For those players seeking to obtain just a single Hulkbuster cover, this resolution is simply too little, too late. icon_redface.gif
  • Got locked out and wasn't able to finish last node in the prime sub. So I never was able to get last scarlet witch cover
  • slidecage
    4pm est wonder what time we are going to get the news about the rewards ---- hopefully they dont push it off till monday

Though i think they are on the west coast so its only 1 there
  • rendar55
    rendar55 Posts: 2
    Servers went down around the time my avengers PvP event (World's Mightiest?) slice ended at 1 PM EST. I got the award notification for top 100 (red GSBW), but I never actually received it.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    notamutant wrote:
    So what you're saying is that if a friend invites you over and during the night he takes a dump on your face, you can't complain, because you weren't paying him.

The notion that you shouldn't complain about f2p games unless you're giving the developers money is ludicrous. People's time is worth something. People's attention is worth something. If you play a bad game or watch a bad movie for free that shouldn't ever stop you form pointing out how bad it is. In fact, that's how most professional critics consume those products.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    ArkPrime wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    So what you're saying is that if a friend invites you over and during the night he takes a dump on your face, you can't complain, because you weren't paying him

Two guys, one couch?
  • Forumites complain = Dev's deliver.
    No breaks between events = Server Outage
    No purple users = All purple users next 6 months
    Some weren't able to hit max progression in ultron pve = Make it much harder to beat ultron pve
    No Seed teams in pvp = All seed teams in pvp
    4thor OP = 4thor Nerf
    If OP = IF Nerf
    Xf OP = XF neutered
    Matches to slow = Increase health to make matches even slower and reduce # of max boost
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    In case anyone missed the update to the update:
    Update 4/30 @ 5:12pm:
    Just a quick update with a little new info:
    We're trying to get these fixes rolled out tomorrow, so you'll able to enjoy them over the weekend. This will include covers that you were very close to attaining.

I don't have an update on non-Ultron events yet. We'll begin working on those once Ultron is wrapped up, early next week.

Update 5/1 @ 5:39p:
    We'll have Scarlet Witch covers rolling out to the top 10K players that were in Round 6 tomorrow. Assuming no issues arise, expect these tomorrow morning.

We'll continue working on the other rewards for Round 7, 8 and non-Ultron events next week. The players that should have earned a Scarlet Witch cover have a chance to use her in Run 2 during the weekend.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Thanks to the devs for getting this pushed out before the weekend. I just glanced through these rewards once, but on first viewing, this seems like a somewhat inadequate response. Definitely a good start, but there is still more work to do.

Off the top of my head:

(1) no mention whatsoever of quicksilver rewards. One major problem with ultron run 1 was that players were locked out of the prog rewards after their alliance finishes the event.
    (2) availability of switch in ultron 2 this weekend only partially mitigates the harm done to players unable to complete rounds 6-8 due to server problems in ultron 1. Switch is an essential in ultron 2 (and qs too sometimes). Not having her is a 40% hit on available essential nodes out of the gate, even if she is awarded this evening. And as discussed in many other threads, the health in ultron 2 is wildly higher than in ultron 1. A 40% point reduction is likely an insurmountable handicap for ultron 2.
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    So it looks like the first round of reparations will be one(?) Scarlet Witch cover to "the top 10K players" who finished in Round 6 the first go around, for distribution tomorrow morning. Without knowing what top 10k players means, I'm unsure how I feel about it.

But I must say that I don't see the case for being so stingy with the single Scarlet Witch cover. I see no reason not to give a Scarlet Witch cover to all players in alliances in Round 6 or above at the conclusion of the first event. The failure to hand out SW covers promptly has destroyed the ability of those alliances to do even remotely respectably in the Hulkbuster Ultron, and only giving SW covers to SOME players just adds insult to injury.
  • Lol as expected Devs response is underwhelming. Gj guys way to keep those customers happy.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker

We'll have Scarlet Witch covers rolling out to the top 10K players that were in Round 6 tomorrow. Assuming no issues arise, expect these tomorrow morning.

We'll continue working on the other rewards for Round 7, 8 and non-Ultron events next week. The players that should have earned a Scarlet Witch cover have a chance to use her in Run 2 during the weekend.

Wow - that was an extremely terse response to what has become a poorly managed event, one that the Dev's were proud to say was "months in the making" - yeah I know that last part was a cheap shot - but still.

I also notice that all the Reds are still not online - even Kabir must have been on just long enough to make the update and then left again. Oh well, it is the weekend I suppose.
  • slidecage

i hope the next time anyone even thinks about giving this company money remember the big middle finger they just gave everyone.

Nothing will come next week just like they said the items to the first round would be given this weekend And on monday they said they would work to get the rewards out to people This Past week, Now its O sometime next week. Next week will come and they will come up with another reason to just screw over their customer base.

Guess what your not getting Any tokens cause the EVENT WILL BE OVER so how the hell are we draw Witch and hulkbuster covers when the event is over.