Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• That is some really good rational thought actually. Thank you for that. You're right of course, sitting on Iso for a couple of days is all fine and dandy but longer than that and you are nerfing yourself.

There is, however, a solution to this. Changes in games affecting sunk cost for the player base is an extremely old problem that has already been solved. Whenever you make a change that affects the cost of something and thus retroactively hurts existing players, you simply offer a respec. Reset all our 3 and 4 star hero's to their base level and refund the Iso. This not only satisfies the 'you are stealing my Iso' crowd, it also placates the 'I'm quitting life because you nerfed xforce' crowd. You think he sucks now, don't level him.

In one simple move you've changed the conversation from 'this sucks' to 'how am I going to spend my Iso?'

Pwuz_ wrote:
    Quit **** about nerfs. This is a pvp game for f sakes - nerfs are part of the deal.

Has no one pointed out the real problem here!? If they go through with the deceased Iso costs for higher level hero's they will literally be stealing Iso from us. Some of us dropped tens of thousands of Iso on high level champs and d3 is just going to lower the costs and give us a shrug of the shoulders as our Iso disappears?!

I figured this was going to be the most common complaint about these changes. Yeah, it stinks for us vets who have leveled up most if not all of our 3* & 4* characters, but the big picture is that it makes it easier for new players to get up to speed.

I'm glad we are getting a little heads up about this here so we don't spend any Iso for the next few days or so till the update goes into effect. I've been personally leveling my Deadpool who I've finally gotten to 12 covers, and while I would have loved to have known this sooner, at what point does this foreknowledge become too far? Was it last week? Last month? Last year? Would you have really sat on all that Iso for the last year not leveling anyone had you known this change was coming? Of course not! You've earned back that investment Iso by being able to compete longer and be more powerful overall in that time.

Don't forget that it was easier back when we started because we didn't have such an absurd number of 3* & 4* characters to try and collect and level simultaneously.

All that rational though aside, it would be nice if as a gesture towards everyone for this change they gave everyone a bit of Iso. Not a lot, but about as much as Deadpool Daily reward would be appreciated to make up for our extra Iso we spent.
  • gamar wrote:
    Quit **** about nerfs. This is a pvp game for f sakes - nerfs are part of the deal.

Has no one pointed out the real problem here!? If they go through with the deceased Iso costs for higher level hero's they will literally be stealing Iso from us. Some of us dropped tens of thousands of Iso on high level champs and d3 is just going to lower the costs and give us a shrug of the shoulders as our Iso disappears?!

Last year the XBox one cost $400 this year it costs $350 WHY IS MICROSOFT LITERALLY STEALING MONEY FROM CUSTOMERS, LITERALLY

The big kids are talking now, okay? Here's some Kool-Aid and Cheetos, cartoon network is back from commercials...
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options

This isn't a PvP game. It's us versus the AI. PvP is just PvE-lite.
  • The fact that invested Iso has paid out in being in the running for more Iso is conviniently ignored.

The fact that someone gets a discount somewhere down the line does not in ANY way mean that those who have paid retail before that have been ripped off. Thinking that is the case is far more into the bad Kool-aid.
  • They don't care. They will take yor iso's because they can. They are nerfing the entire game to make room for the new players they expect because of the new avengers film coming out. They just don't care, they have your money, now they want someone else's. They don't care and they do not feel accountable to anyone but themselves. They have absolutely no loyalty to their long term customers. Consider the last vote on the pvp changes. There were 81% voting against the changes. That is huge. Did it change anything? No because they don't care. People are complaining because the game is hard. I was beaten up by more seasoned players when I joined up. I didn't whine about it. I took it and made my team better. These new people are just to lazy to do so. Heck, I wish i had the daily deadpool,event back then. It would have been nice. These newbies don't realize how truly good they have it. Quit whining and play. And for goodness sakes d3, listen to yor loyal customers and reverse yout nerfs and pvp changes. Show us some loyalty back. We could always boycott...
  • Corwin400 wrote:
    They don't care. They will take yor iso's because they can. They are nerfing the entire game to make room for the new players they expect because of the new avengers film coming out. They just don't care, they have your money, now they want someone else's. They don't care and they do not feel accountable to anyone but themselves. They have absolutely no loyalty to their long term customers. Consider the last vote on the pvp changes. There were 81% voting against the changes. That is huge. Did it change anything? No because they don't care. People are complaining because the game is hard. I was beaten up by more seasoned players when I joined up. I didn't whine about it. I took it and made my team better. These new people are just to lazy to do so. Heck, I wish i had the daily deadpool,event back then. It would have been nice. These newbies don't realize how truly good they have it. Quit whining and play. And for goodness sakes d3, listen to yor loyal customers and reverse yout nerfs and pvp changes. Show us some loyalty back. We could always boycott...

I think they would prefer you to boycott, then you wouldn't get in the way of the revenue stream.
  • gamar wrote:

Last year the XBox one cost $400 this year it costs $350 WHY IS MICROSOFT LITERALLY STEALING MONEY FROM CUSTOMERS, LITERALLY

The big kids are talking now, okay? Here's some Kool-Aid and Cheetos, cartoon network is back from commercials...
    For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard. And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard. And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way. Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise. And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle? They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive. So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a denarius. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a denarius. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house, Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day. But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a denarius? Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
  • The big kids are talking now, okay? Here's some Kool-Aid and Cheetos, cartoon network is back from commercials...
    A fairy comes to a farmhouse and informs the peasant who lives there that she will fulfill any wish he has. She will give him more grain in his silo, more milk from his cow, more coins in his purse, the only condition being that whatever he wishes for, his neighbor will get twice as much of it as he. In other words, his neighbor will get the wish times two.
    The peasant scratches his head and ponders the thing a while. Finally he answers. "Poke out one of my eyes," he instructs the fairy.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I skipped a couple of pages so i'm not sure if this has been covered...

With the nerfs/"buffs" it will make PVE a lot harder for those with lvl 270/166 4*/3* characters. Right now scaling has become so bad that players have no choice but to use X-farce/4hor to clear those nodes. With x-farce out of the picture now, the devs should allow players to decrease the levels of their heroes and re-level them WITHOUT PENALTY. Otherwise there really isnt much point to level the characters if all it does is drive scaling up the wall. Come to think of it, there really isnt much point to this game anymore beyond collecting for collecting's sake
  • Somehow I missed that She-Hulk's green now costs 6, not 12

holy tinykitty

holy tinykitty
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    ok that's it I've tolerated enough with 4hor changes and now even x force with mpq. as a vet who don't talk much in forum, it's not difficult for me to see the idioticity of this stubborn company. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. regret investing so much time and resources in to this game which sometimes took my precious time with family away. you guys at d3 should get fired as even half of the famed forumers such as np or ark can settles things in terms of balancing better than all of you combined. i don't see the future of this game as the so call game ender ultimate 4* characters are nerfed to the point where 3* can even beat them easily. congratulations d3 as me myself a 430 days player will quit this game and enjoy my real life and ill be sure to bring my other friends that I've introduced to this game in quitting as well and most of them are whales. ill be sure to tell my real friends don't even bothering playing this cheating game.
  • You're right, which is why I'm not suggesting that people who spent hp on xforce get a refund.

The matter I stated had to do with time invested. In this game, time is monetized into Iso. This game, like virtually every f2p game in existence, has two currencies. Iso (representing time), and hp (representing real money). Hp is discounted all the time in the form of sales. The reason you don't completely feel like you get screwed if you buy hp at full price is because the value of hp in the game is the same no matter what the exchange rate happens to be at the time.

In this instance, the devs are saying that the in game value of Iso in relation to hero xp was just devalued. We don't yet know how severely but the devaluation will happen. In a game that presents itself as a free to play game where you can trade time played for in game value, devaluing it across the board does indeed screw the existing player base.

Which is why any game that does this, with hallway knowledgeable developers, offers a respec when they devalue your time. Because the one thing gaming history has taught us is that you must respect your players time.

Jester Day wrote:
    The fact that invested Iso has paid out in being in the running for more Iso is conviniently ignored.

The fact that someone gets a discount somewhere down the line does not in ANY way mean that those who have paid retail before that have been ripped off. Thinking that is the case is far more into the bad Kool-aid.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Jester Day wrote:
    The fact that invested Iso has paid out in being in the running for more Iso is conviniently ignored.

I literally just.....and I mean JUST took a few of my very first 3* characters to level 94. Like, less than 30 hours ago. And now they announce I could have done it for possibly A LOT cheaper, had I known and waited another week?

Sorry, but NO. That is not okay.

Any other business that does this, it does it with something called "A Previous Price Match / Price Adjustment / etc."
  • AnonymousMPQ
    AnonymousMPQ Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Iso-8 Leveling Costs Update - Coming in R75

Finally, we’re making some changes in level-up costs for 3-Star and 4-Star characters. In order to help players get their 3-Star and 4-Star characters into a useful state more quickly, we’re making it cheaper to level them up at lower levels. We don’t have final numbers at the moment, so stay tuned.

This change will not change the levels of any existing characters, but they will immediately become cheaper to level up.

EDIT - The total amount needed to level up 3-star and 4-star characters is decreasing. This will not change the current level of the character, but the cost to level up will be less than or equal to what it was before.

Thank you for letting us know potentially game changes that affect our decision before they go into effect. I level my 3* as soon as I get them. Now I will wait for the iso patch to go into effect. This is how you minimize resentment from players.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Somehow I missed that She-Hulk's green now costs 6, not 12
    holy tinykitty
    holy tinykitty

That was one of my biggest take-aways from this whole big party as well. I wonder if it will prioritize >0 AP pools first, or if it's totally random?
  • Lol - thanks Forrest
    gamar wrote:
    A fairy comes to a farmhouse and informs the peasant who lives there that she will fulfill any wish he has. She will give him more grain in his silo, more milk from his cow, more coins in his purse, the only condition being that whatever he wishes for, his neighbor will get twice as much of it as he. In other words, his neighbor will get the wish times two.
    The peasant scratches his head and ponders the thing a while. Finally he answers. "Poke out one of my eyes," he instructs the fairy.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Iso-8 Leveling Costs Update - Coming in R75

Finally, we’re making some changes in level-up costs for 3-Star and 4-Star characters. In order to help players get their 3-Star and 4-Star characters into a useful state more quickly, we’re making it cheaper to level them up at lower levels. We don’t have final numbers at the moment, so stay tuned.

This change will not change the levels of any existing characters, but they will immediately become cheaper to level up.

EDIT - The total amount needed to level up 3-star and 4-star characters is decreasing. This will not change the current level of the character, but the cost to level up will be less than or equal to what it was before.

Thank you for letting us know potentially game changes that affect our decision before they go into effect. I level my 3* as soon as I get them. Now I will wait for the iso patch to go into effect. This is how you minimize resentment from players.

But as always, it's a half-assed announcement of intent without detail.

Currently it takes 172764 to level a 3* from 40 to 166. Half of that (87274, close enough for government work) gets you to level 128. So the first 88 levels costs the same as the last 38. Changing the cost of the first 40 levels (or whatever) will do nothing for those who have already surpassed the threshold. You'll still have that big wad of ISO to find to get to max level. And covers, of course.

It's like roster slots. Yippee, the first 25 now cost less to "encourage roster diversity". Number 26? That will be a big jump to 400 HP please (or whatever).

I'm beginning to dread checking the forum on a Saturday morning, here in the One Time Zone To Rule Them All.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just realised that all these changes have made what was a good game that could have potentially been great and awesome to just something ho-hum and ordinary. Candy crush at least allows you to play at your own time. The fun part of this game was to go all out overpowered abilities with our fav Marvel superheroes. Instead the devs are turning them to boring heroes with blah abilities
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey All

Miles from Demiurge here to let you know about some new character updates that are coming soon to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Invisible Woman (Classic) - Coming 4/17/15
    Invisible Woman is our 2nd oldest 4-Star character and has been waiting patiently for an update for a long time. When we originally designed her, we were balancing for a version of the game with longer, more difficult matches. In that version of the game, powerful, high-cost powers have more use and damage prevention is more powerful. When re-evaluating her abilities, we had a big focus on utility. Her two unique powers got a lot cheaper, allowing players to use them much more frequently. She should be locking tiles and making people invisible all the time, not occasionally at the end of the match.

Elektra (Unkillable) - Coming 4/17/15
    Elektra is a very unique character in MPQ. She plays very differently from other characters in that she is capable of dealing huge amounts of damage but only indirectly. She’s also the only character in the game who can stop any amount of damage. We wanted to update Elektra, but maintain her unique playstyle, and we found we were able to make her more powerful without being unbalanced.
    So the IW looks good, and th Electra buff is whatever. She will be stronger but I really don't see her played. IW force field crush will do massive damage and feels more 4* like. Health buff is very nice

Wolverine (X-Force) - Coming 4/17/15
    X-Force was our first 4-star character. He’s been through a few incarnations, some too weak and some too powerful. We’ve realized that we’d made him too powerful compared to other characters, especially the AP generation and cascade potential of his most recent Black and Green abilities. We’ve re-designed him to bring those abilities into line. The damage of Surgical Strike and Recovery had room to grow, so we’ve increased that as part of this rework.

greentile.pngX-Force - Cost: 8 Green AP - OLD
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 164 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3x3 X-Shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 465 damage. 3. Destroys 9 tiles in a 5x5 X-Shaped pattern. 4. Deals 1030 damage. 5. Deals 1731 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns MAX LV 5: Deals 3441 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns

greentile.pngX-Force - Cost: 8 Green AP - NEW
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 137 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3x3 X-Shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Deals 183 damage. 3. Destroys 9 tiles in a 5x5 X-Shaped pattern. 4. Deals 548 damage. 5. Deals 685 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns MAX LV 5: Deals 1360 damage and destroys 15 tiles in 3 3x3 X-Shaped patterns
    So the Nerf to SS was appropriate. The AP generation and ap drain was what made him so OP. You have now made Xforce green useless. This is suppose to be a 4* character and at level 5 it does 1360 damage? Really d3, really?

yellowtile.pngRecovery - Cost: 9 Yellow AP - OLD
    Wolverine’ healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 health when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 32 damage per tile.
    Upgrades:
      2. Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 45 damage per tile. 3. Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 58 damage per tile. 4. Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 83 damage per tile. 5. Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles. MAX LV 5: Heals Wolverine for 9899 or destroys 9 tiles. 164 damage per tile.

yellowtile.pngRecovery - Cost: 9 Yellow AP - NEW
    Wolverine’s healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 health when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 55 damage per tile.
    Upgrades:
      2. Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 92 damage per tile. 3. Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 138 damage per tile. 4. Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 202 damage per tile. 5. Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles. MAX LV 5: Heals Wolverine for 9899 or destroys 9 tiles. 400 damage per tile.
    You must think this dual healing power damage was the coolest thing when you developed it and the player base by the majority of players running 5,5,3 said we don't care green is so much better. You just told us we designed him to have 5 in yellow becuase we think this is a cool power so put 5 in yellow because green now sucks. Thanks for the middle finger on this one D3

Beast (Classic) - Coming 4/17/15
    We think we captured the essence of Beast as a character, but he wasn’t very useful, and players didn’t feel there was a strong reason to bring him to a fight over other characters. Considering that the bulk of Beast’s power banks on the presence of Blue special tiles, we made his Blue more reliable. The original design made it too easy to match away the special tiles it created, but this re-design solves that problem. We also increased the strength of his other two powers.
    So you got Beasts blue and green right, but most players really don't care about healing. He is no longer unless though
    . Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) - Coming 4/17/15[/size][/color][/b]
    Doctor Octopus is an interesting take on a utility character. He manipulates the game board and reacts to actions instead of directly damaging other characters. He has a huge breadth of ability effects, but there are a lot of times when only a few of those effects are useful. We wanted to really focus on increasing the usefulness of his different powers with this
    Dr. Octavius reaches out with his mechanical arms to use controls and devices, smashing enemy plans easily. Swaps 16 pairs of random tiles, destroying any swapped enemy Attack tiles, and dealing 110 damage for each tile destroyed.
    Doc Ock is still not worth any ISO
    She-Hulk (Modern) - Coming 4/17/15
    She-Hulk also has a wide variety of powers. Her Blue power was overly complex, and useful only in very specific situations, and the power to give her team a burst of health doesn’t really fit into her comic book persona. We’ve updated both her Green and Blue abilities with the goal of making them simpler and more useful.

Old Max Health: 10,200
    New Max Health: 10,710

bluetile.pngSettlement - Cost: 9 Blue AP - OLD
    She-Hulk flexes her legal muscle, striking a deal to balance the scales of justice. Replaces up to 2 Protect, Strike or Attack tiles with Strike Tiles distributed between you and the enemy team. The deal is in your favor though, as Friendly Strike Tiles are strength 27 and Enemy Strike Tiles are Strength 16.
    Upgrades:
      2. Increases Friendly Strike Tiles to strength 38. 3. Replaces up to 3 Tiles (Odd tiles are always Friendly) 4. Increases Friendly Strike Tiles to strength 51. 5. Can also replace Countdown Tiles. MAX LV 5: Friendly Strike Tiles are strength 164 and Enemy Strike Tiles are Strength 52.

bluetile.pngSettlement - Cost: 9 Blue AP - NEW
    She-Hulk flexes her legal muscle, striking a deal to balance the scales of justice. Randomly selects up to 2 enemy Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles and redistributes them between both teams. Friendly tiles are improved by 27.
    Upgrades:
      2. Friendly tiles are improved by 32. 3. Friendly tiles are improved by 38. 4. Selects up to 3 Tiles (Odd tiles are always Friendly) 5. Friendly tiles are improved by 59. MAX LV 5: Friendly tiles are improved by 191.

greentile.pngReprieve - Cost: 12 Green AP - OLD
    She-Hulk charges into battle, catching her foes off guard and giving allies a chance to rest. Reduces one of the enemy’s AP levels to 0, then heals all allies for 137 HP.
    Upgrades:
      2. Also cuts a second AP color by 25 percent. 3. Gives allies a burst of 192 health. 4. Gives allies a burst of 290 health. 5. Also cuts a second AP color by 50 percent. MAX LV 5: Gives allies a burst of 922 health.

greentile.pngFurious Charge - Cost: 6 Green AP - NEW
    She-Hulk charges into battle, catching her foes off guard and causing them to stagger backwards. Reduces one of the enemy’s AP levels to 0, and reduces a second AP color by 25 percent.
    Upgrades:
      2. Reduces a second AP color by 35. 3. Reduces a second AP color by 50. 4. Reduces a second AP color by 75. 5. Reduces a second AP color by 100.
    So you actually made her blue worse. Yes it is good that she only effects enemy tiles but she no longer can convert CD? **** D3. This was the best part of her blue she was a PVE queen, and now she is only good against Daken and Blade. And for 9 AP she gives the player 2 strik tiles at level 5. Punisher gives 3 strike tiles for 8 AP and they are more powerful. This power should cost 6 and convert CD tiles. By the way green is really not that good for 6 AP. No damage, no AP generation just drain. You made her worse.

Character Health Update - Coming 4/17/15
    S.[/quote]
    I am good with the health updates it is long overdue.
    Overall you could have done so much more D3. You have over nerfed Xforce as expected and when you buffed characters you tried to get too cute (she hulks blue not converting CD) and keep what you though would be interesting and cool in the game when the reality is you should have just fully redesigned powers ( I am looking at you doc Ock).
    I really want to look at things from your side D3, but I really do think your egos about what you thought would be good in the game got in your way from seeing what really is good and fun in this game. For that I say shame on you D3 you should know better.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    Comparing individual abilities has a limit. And that limit is all of the other context. Like the fact that she has 5000 more health than Deadpool. Or an ability that blocks damage. Or that both her other abilities can tap those 750 in strike tiles incredibly often.

People say her red is easy to remove. That's why you wait until there are no red matches before casting it. And if the other player is using Blade or Daken to counter, that's what her purple is for (and it makes purple mega strong).
    I could've just said 14AP for 750 in strike tiles is an absurdly inefficient use of AP, but I figured I might as well give you an obvious example.

And no, her purple isn't there as a consolation prize when your trap tile gets overwritten. It's just awful design to have a character so easily countered by the character SHE is meant to be countering.