Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Options

Comments

• PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 527 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's terrible. No progression. Just a wall of maxed buffed characters.

Whoever instituted it should be fired.

Edited- My first reaction was harsh but I'm sticking with the overall sentiment.
  • Great job D3, because we all know Sentry is underplayed and underpowered, this move will force everyone to hop and bomb at the start of every event.
    The guy will finally see some play!
  • Also, I just got to 1100 last pvp for the cover and stayed unshielded for the remainder (1.5 days) needless to say I was knocked from 1100 down to sub 700. But that apparently killed my MMR because even with this change I'm seeing lots of Yelenas. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Won my first maxed icon_sentry.pngicon_daken.pngicon_hood.png mirror... second one saw me setting up decently, then a simple match on their part dropped a few greentile.png on the top making a match 4 green, making something else explode, critical, etc... 0 green to 10 green, and 11 yellow. AI casts Sacrifice, and my only shot here is that it then casts Chemical Reaction... and pulls back the red strike tile right next to the yellow one. Boo. Then casts World Rupture, and for rub-ins, has the Anti-Grav team up. Then I died.
  • I don't get the complain about the maxed teams that seem to be from guys who also have maxed teams. Are you the only person that's allowed to run a maxed Daken/Sentry/Hood? I don't know how placement is going to turn out but so far it's not sounding like any 2*/transition guys are somehow able to sneak ahead, so everyone's still subject to the same difficulty. In the past you had a lot of cupcakes to beat up while climbing but so does everyone else.

Now I'm sure progression awards are totally hosed, but that should be relatively easy to fix once the data comes in.
  • Dear Riggy,

I can promise the posts' words will be as civil as the developers' actions towards the player base on this one.

Translation: if they don't tiny kitty us, we won't tiny kitty them.

P.S. I realize you have a job to do and was glad to see your words not written in black color indicating this was not your personal opinion.
    I've made several posts in black already. I'm a regular poster just like everyone else, but with the added responsibility of trying to keep the rage from turning gamergate in nature. So far, I've only had to clean up 2 posts in this thread, so overall we're doing pretty well. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Seems like we all just need to play like we used to once we hit 800. Again, I'm fine with that if progression rewards are drastically reduced.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What's missing from this thread:

-1* and 2* rosters saying, "I'm finally not getting attacked 70,000 times by opponents with much higher levels than me!"

If the current change is killing the high end rosters, the low end rosters must be in PVP paradise.
  • I have nothing but triple 332 teams.

Now, that's not to say I will not be running an equivalently strong team eventually.

In normal PVPs, I use Patch and Daken until about 700, to save health packs.
    Then from 700 to 1000 I mix in Thor, Hulk and a few other tankier characters.
    Then around 900 to 1300 and beyond, I Sentry bomb.

Now, basically I’m going to have to Sentry bomb from the very beginning?

Really?

So, what you’re saying is, I need to spend 400 ISO per 2 matches in order to make any progress. And I have to make that progress 5 to 10 matches at a time, because I can no longer use my sustained team for the early climb?

Careful D3, you may lose your best customers in order to cultivate noobs that you have no idea if they will be paying customers or not…
  • SpaceBearPig
    SpaceBearPig Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Honestly I love it to death. No opponent is easy, no opponent is impossible, every fight counts. This is miles ahead of the old system in which the only people ever rewarded were the people that were way ahead and had huge 3* rosters. There is no wall of b.ullshit for 2* players once you get up to 300-400 points.

You should never have a fight you cannot take in PvP, going in should be a risk. This is like matchmaking in any competitive multiplayer game and at least for me its been amazing. PvP needs to go in this direction for sure.

However, I'm guessing with this reaction it's not going to stick, such a shame. D3 should build on this so that vets dont get as **** as they've gotten here (from what I read and 2* transitional players (if it's the experience I'm getting for others like me) can actuallt compete.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maxed Hood/Sentry everywhere from the very first match...Not only do I get ridiculously hard opponents from the beginning, I also get the same opponents all the time which makes the grind even more boring.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Filled with apprehension, I entered the event. For the record, I have a 46 character Roster with 6 characters at 153 (including CMags and Daken, who are buffed for this event,) and various other characters in levels 141 (incl Sentry,) 127 (incl X-Force,) and lower. My X-Force is 5/2/2, so I can't really rely on him.

Top Node: terrylee2008 - Daken 280, Dr Doom 280, Sentry 280 (Real Levels 140) worth 28 points at 46
    Left Node: FOAD - Daken 332, the Hood 332, Magneto 332 (Real Levels 166) worth 39 points at 212
    Right Node: Hootnany - Sentry 174, Daken 332, Magneto 332 (Real levels 88 and 166) worth 25 points at 0

Um. Right. So I can probably take the top one - that's pretty much even with me, but the other two are going to mess me up pretty well. 153 and 166 are a pretty big difference, I think. I typically try to take one node before tanking - I may do that and report.

The Lighting Rounds seem to be behaving in a similar fashion - giving me opponents with point totals that are all over the place but are really tough.

I Do Not Like This Change So Far.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    I'm fine with this change if they change the progression rewards. Typically we didn't have to start shielding until 700-800. If we have to do that at 300 now then I better see a 3* cover at 600. This will just save us the 45 min of grinding boring teams to 700 and then face an actual challenge.

They've changed progression rewards a lot in the past. Time for a change.

Well it looks like a cheap pay-to-win ploy so far, even more so considering with the big points loss and early shielding it might cause.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Speaking on behalf of 2 of my alliance ** to *** transitioning players...after any seed teams they both came up against a wall of level 332's.

Keep in mind both of these players have no character leveled higher than 94. Neither of them has a *** that are fully covered. One player's highest 3 star cover wise is at 7. The other has a couple with 11 and 12 but not leveled. These matchups are literally impossible for them even with max boosts.

If they skipped several matchups they would come across a few options that were in the low 100's. Which means....at BEST, they could fight against teams that were superior to their roster and only at the cost of skipping several battles.

Needless to say...this change is extremely negative for transitioning players in addition to top tier ones.
    At least I can sentry bomb every battle using boosts. They seem to have things even worse.

Needless to say...I'm not a fan of this change. My characters don't feel powerful. Most of my maxed out roster is useless. I'm forced to exploit the absolute top tier characters just to get started in the event. My defensive team won't stand out at all against anyone else. It's like we all started at a score of 1300 at the start of this PvP.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If the tweak is we face similar leveled rosters from the first match at some point the algorithm has to switch from matching based on roster to matching based on score. If it matches based on roster all the way then that isn't fair either. There has to be a point in the progression where score becomes the determinant and not roster.
  • if this is the new state of the game...i will retire...no questions asked. This change will take away the very negligible amount of fun i was having playing MPQ and just crush it completely.

Ive rolled with every punch from day 1 of this game. If this is the way that it is...im out.

Please fix this terribly failed experiment...

marc
  • pony mad
    pony mad Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Honestly I love it to death. No opponent is easy, no opponent is impossible, every fight counts. This is miles ahead of the old system in which the only people ever rewarded were the people that were way ahead and had huge 3* rosters. There is no wall of b.tinykitty for 2* players once you get up to 300-400 points.

You should never have a fight you cannot take in PvP, going in should be a risk. This is like matchmaking in any competitive multiplayer game and at least for me its been amazing. PvP needs to go in this direction for sure.

However, I'm guessing with this reaction it's not going to stick, such a shame. D3 should build on this so that vets dont get as **** as they've gotten here (from what I read and 2* transitional players (if it's the experience I'm getting for others like me) can actuallt compete.

you have a point there, but the problem is another one... this is not a competative skill-based multiplayergame. It is pay2win and taking away any hope for weaker players will neither encourage them to keep playing, nor to spent some money. its more like a shot in the knee.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't get the complain about the maxed teams that seem to be from guys who also have maxed teams. Are you the only person that's allowed to run a maxed Daken/Sentry/Hood? I don't know how placement is going to turn out but so far it's not sounding like any 2*/transition guys are somehow able to sneak ahead, so everyone's still subject to the same difficulty.

It's obviously super-early, but the top 10 of my bracket would seem to indicate otherwise.

Number of 3*s
    1. 0
    2. 0
    3. Deadpool's Tacos (i.e., a lot)
    4. 0
    5. 3 (none level- or cover-maxed)
    6. 1 (L111)
    7. 1 (L123)
    8. Deadpool's Tacos (i.e., a lot)
    9. A lot
    10. 8 (none level- or cover-maxed)
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Filled with apprehension, I entered the event. For the record, I have a 46 character Roster with 6 characters at 153 (including CMags and Daken, who are buffed for this event,) and various other characters in levels 141 (incl Sentry,) 127 (incl X-Force,) and lower. My X-Force is 5/2/2, so I can't really rely on him.

Top Node: terrylee2008 - Daken 280, Dr Doom 280, Sentry 280 (Real Levels 140) worth 28 points at 46
    Left Node: FOAD - Daken 332, the Hood 332, Magneto 332 (Real Levels 166) worth 39 points at 212
    Right Node: Hootnany - Sentry 174, Daken 332, Magneto 332 (Real levels 88 and 166) worth 25 points at 0

Um. Right. So I can probably take the top one - that's pretty much even with me, but the other two are going to mess me up pretty well. 153 and 166 are a pretty big difference, I think. I typically try to take one node before tanking - I may do that and report.

The Lighting Rounds seem to be behaving in a similar fashion - giving me opponents with point totals that are all over the place but are really tough.

I Do Not Like This Change So Far.

Post Script - my first fight was a TPK so I'm done for the afternoon, unless I don't want to play the Simulator the LRs.
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Great change my missus loves it now that I am not playing this game I occasionally notice her. Thanks for the couples therapy unfortunately it seems there was a reason I was ignoring her can anyone suggest a good game to play.