Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Well I took Children of the Atom off for the most part (got the 300 token and stopped) due to burn out from Sunday, and not needing Hood. I finished 317 out of 500 in Children of the Atom.

Starting nodes for Nefarious foes:
    332 CMags, 280 Ragnarok 280 LDaken - 31 pts
    332 Sentry, 332 CMags, 270 Wolverine - 31 pts
    254 Hood, 280 Doom, 280 Rags - 25 pts

Yegad, not exactly a fun start. The new MMR certainly isn't looking at placement in the previous event.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't like an algorithm that punishes people for success, but that is what this is doing. icon_evil.gif

The algorithm seems to match people up with like levels based on a value system. Heroic characters owned, the amount of covers, average level (which sucks because they should do ISO spent) icon_idea.gif
    The people who have lots of 3 stars and have high levels are going to be punished by being forced to face off against each other at the start. icon_rolleyes.gif
    They don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor, and beat up on two star teams. icon_e_surprised.gif

Two Star teams rule, because they won't face three star teams. Check the leaderboards. They are basically invisible to most teams that could hurt them.
    Best roster to have right now is NO three stars, and a Maxed Xforce and maxed fury.
    Of course at that point, what is the point of playing, if getting new three stars punishes somebody icon_lol.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Oh come on D3, did you seriously decide to test the PvP that is handing out the brand new covers? This is just asking for trouble.

It's been known for a bit that Mystique would be rewarded in this event. Of course, I (nor anyone else it seems) didn't put two and two together.

Also of course they did it this way.
    Not really, the article said the one on the 14th would reward the covers

I read it that way at first too. Reading it further, it says 'versus event for her" on the 14th, but talks about the new background art, which implies that she's the featured on the 14th.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The rewards for fighting higher level people out the gate should be much higher, and or true healing needs to change if this stays.

Also this was a really bad event to test this on, a event were all the "Top tier" characters are buffed.... maybe it was on purpose I don't know. But man.... I don't even want to deal with the headache of buffed daken, sentry, hood and cmags
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh bloody zog, last a game before I even hit 100, and I thought things had been rough for transitioners before.
  • This change is a complete joke. If the points and rewards were on par with what you had to go against. Ok. Maybe. Why bother with pvp when we can just wait for the next heroic....
  • Spoit wrote:
    Oh come on D3, did you seriously decide to test the PvP that is handing out the brand new covers? This is just asking for trouble.

It's been known for a bit that Mystique would be rewarded in this event. Of course, I (nor anyone else it seems) didn't put two and two together.

Also of course they did it this way.
    Not really, the article said the one on the 14th would reward the covers

I read it that way at first too. Reading it further, it says 'versus event for her" on the 14th, but talks about the new background art, which implies that she's the featured on the 14th.

Think of it this way:
    If it is giving out say Loki covers, would you even be participating in this "beta" test of theirs?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haven't started yet, but these are my initial nodes:
    veh35hZ.jpg?1XsnjW4I.jpg?1MPuhcWP.jpg?1
  • After getting through seed teams (which I think are irrelevant to this discussion) I'm seeing mostly teams equal to mine, which is not quite maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png . I typically see mostly star.pngstar.png and transition teams at this point. So there's definitely a difference but it's certainly not the end of the world or impossible to proceed. That said, it's still nicer to be able to get through the first few hundred points without having to spend 10 minutes on each opponent and/or having to spend health packs every one or two battles.

I also have taken 3 hits already on my trip up to 150 points, typically I don't get hit at all until I'm around 500.

As some have mentioned before me it does seem like they are matching players up against near perfectly equal opponents. IMO this disincentivizes developing your roster because you are just constantly faced with harder challenges but no better rewards.
  • Seems like this change is unanimously despised...CHANGE IT BACK Dimierge... icon_razz.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    As a side note, Im seeing 332 Hood/Laken/Sentry on EVERY node, even after skipping.

In a dozen skips I saw one team that swapped Laken for CMag, and one where Laken was 310 vs 332. Awesome variety in team comp.

im also seeing this now in the current LR. usually at this point, there are 2* teams that i can pick off for 25points. i think this change also effects lrs like kingofpopcorn said above
    Yes, after seed teams in the LR all I get is maxed teams, even if I skip 10 times.

Bravo devs, for making PVP now unplayable for vets too.

yup noticed maxed out teams after seed teams and overall i think point were down by 100 in lighting round pyslocke 10am pst.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To level-set: I have 15 finished 3-stars, but I didn't start the event with them.

I started right away and got seed teams. I threw up a softer team thinking 'tank': Modern Storm (lvl50), IM35 (lvl 50), Ms Marvel (lvl 50, 0/4/3). Beat 2 seed teams and walked away.
    In the first 90 minutes this weak team with a total of 150 levels and 4 stars won 7/10 of the defensive fights. I am up +115 points on defense - which is crazy. The teams losing to me are 1+2 star teams, all of them seem to attempting fights above their weight class as many have more total stars, but none have had more levels.

It is like they are forcing every player to take 'stretch' fights - if possible they are going to give you an "equal or tougher" opponent every time.

Scores in this event are probably going to be a lot lower than we have seen in a long time if that's true.
  • im going to just come right out and say No No No to this change. my vote is to remove whatever was done and go back to the way it was previously.

marc
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2014
    Options
    <Removing offensive image. Please read the forum rules>
    Seriously.. If this is what is expected now for us.. I ll quit cause Its just plainly unplayable..
  • Would also like to add, something I mentioned in the other thread regarding the news of the mmr change, is that tanking no longer has any effect on the teams i'm seeing in my nodes.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This happened last time they messed with MMR. It's because they reset everyone's MMR so everyone is equally. By this time tomorrow I'm sure it will begin to look normal. It's just going to be rough for a bit.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    This happened last time they messed with MMR. It's because they reset everyone's MMR so everyone is equally. By this time tomorrow I'm sure it will begin to look normal. It's just going to be rough for a bit.

Hmm, maybe this is why it doesn't appear that any admins are monitoring reactions just yet. They knew it was going to be a Mongolian TinyKitty for a while and figured they may as well just let things sort themselves out for a while? Hopefully you're right about that, seems plausible.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maxed teams from the start, this change is dumb, revert it immediately.

Your test fails miserably.
  • Yeah this start is brutal, but I am in second currently still sub 200 lol. I am curious how this will end up though.