Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Options
orionpeace
orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Mod Edit: Stickying for concentrating discussion. All other threads will be locked. Given that initial opinions are decidedly negative, let's try to keep this civil and provide insight and rationale for the opinions. --Riggy

I thought we should start a fresh thread to discuss the Matchmaking Test going in Nefarious Foes.

From a snap reaction to the Matchmaking, I can say I am NOT pleased.

I don't know how it will settle out over the course of the PvP, but I don't have a single max leveled character, much less a villain.

However, each of my three initial nodes and the next 6, all contained players with max leveled characters. Which is really odd, because the event just started.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh come on demiurge, did you seriously decide to test the PvP that is handing out the brand new covers? This is just asking for trouble.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Oh come on D3, did you seriously decide to test the PvP that is handing out the brand new covers? This is just asking for trouble.
    "Our metrics indicate that the new MMR schema led to greater user engagement and encouraged higher scores." icon_e_wink.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh come on D3, did you seriously decide to test the PvP that is handing out the brand new covers? This is just asking for trouble.

It's been known for a bit that Mystique would be rewarded in this event. Of course, I (nor anyone else it seems) didn't put two and two together.

Also of course they did it this way.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not terribly keen on it from the get go either. I'm also facing max level teams of 3* and 4* right away. Previously it's be at least a few hundred points before I saw this and I haven't tanked since S2.

It's been known for a bit that Mystique would be rewarded in this event. Of course, I (nor anyone else it seems) didn't put two and two together.

It makes sense for them to test the new MMR during an event guaranteed to have a high level of user engagement.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not even 100 pts in and I am already skipping a dozen games at minimum before I can find a match without all maxed villains.

The only change I see is that they have thrust the higher tier iso-sink down to the beginner levels. I think I might be done with this game.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Rediculous. Max teams at start. Going to have to start shield hopping at 110 points.

Actually, no, this may just be the end of the game for me. I'm not putting $20/event in just to win a few covers. Thanks D3 for penalizing the people who play the game more and spend the money on HP to earn the covers to accomodate for the newer tier players. We were there once. It takes time to build a roster. It took ALL of us "veterans" time to build a roster.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Do not like.

My starting nodes for Foes.

Node 1: Hood (332), UDaken (332), XForce (270).
    Node 2: CMags (332), UD (332), Sentry (332).
    Node 3: CMags (332), UD (332), Hood (332).

I enjoy a challenge as much as the next guy*, but this is not the way I want to start the day.

*Actually, no, I don't. I'm extremely lazy.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first seed node, (data not available) not a real player
    204 Loki, 178 Ragnarok, 80 Yelena

****??
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To set expectations, this will not be a huge change but we're interested in hearing your unbiased observations of the changes. We also suspect it won't have any effect for some players.

Working as intended so far.
  • Jorit
    Jorit Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My fights from the start have all been equal level fights also. So I am wondering if the change is more equal level fights instead of some easy fights before you hit the wall. I haven't been able to grind through enough because I am getting hurt enough that I can't go through as many as fast now.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sounds like they may have crushed the ability to tank?
    Probably a good thing overall.

Those who can't game the system to get an advantage will now proceed to lash out.
  • My starting nodes:

BL4CKH4M: Loki 80, Venom 2, Juggernaut 2. About typical.
    L4Z3R_C4T: Ragnarok 80, Bullseye 34, Yelena 8. Maybe highish, but still seed-team level
    B4CON_M4GIC: Doom 86, Moonstone 92, Magneto 178. What the tinykitty?

Not starting until this evening, so take from it what you will.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Without hesitation or exaggeration, this by far the dumbest thing I have ever, ever seen in this game. In all seriousness, someone should lose their job for this. You instituted an MMR that tinny kitties from the very first node of an event. But that is not the worst part. The worst part is you have to ask players how they will react to this.

Oh wait, that is not the worst part. The worst part is you decided to give new character covers as rewards for the experimental event. I'm usually willing to give mpq the benefit of the doubt, more than I should according to some. But, honestly, say it out loud: new rewards for a new MMR system that you know is so bad going into it that you have to warn players because you SHOULD know that they will loathe it. In every company I have worked at, I don't know anyone that would survive this kind of decision.
  • I'm not terribly keen on it from the get go either. I'm also facing max level teams of 3* and 4* right away. Previously it's be at least a few hundred points before I saw this and I haven't tanked since S2.

It makes sense for them to test the new MMR during an event guaranteed to have a high level of user engagement.

#cutoffyournosetospiteyourface
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Hmmm, B4C0N_M4G1C has become the new Batt1e_Ange1

I'm not actually entering a bracket for a while, but let's hope I don't see maxed teams right after seeds.

Fingers crossed.
  • CubRob
    CubRob Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1st Node - Slobofix icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif - 332 Mags, 332 LDak, 270 X-Force
    2nd Node - 332 Sentry, 332 LDak, 332 Hood
    3rd Node - 332 Mags, 332 Hood, 332 LDak

Not exactly the change I was hoping to see... Going to try and start later.

Update 8:43pm central - Checked now and my nodes are much more reasonable. I will play for a bit.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Am not joining until later, but thought I'd report my starting nodes. Btw, I'm a beginning 2* transitioning player with no one over 94.

Iron_Panda: Rags 86 / Mags 204! / Ares 92
    BL4CKH4M: Loki 80 / Venom 2/Juggs 2
    L4Z3R_C4T: Rags 80 / Bullseye 34/ Yelena 8
  • Very early speculation: MMR is going to be closely tied to sharding.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Hmmm, B4C0N_M4G1C has become the new Batt1e_Ange1

I'm not actually entering a bracket for a while, but let's hope I don't see maxed teams right after seeds.

Fingers crossed.
    Your non-maxed X-Force is starting to look like absolute genius. Hats off to you.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The same player has attacked me three times before I have even hit 150.

Anyone actually having a positive experience so far?