Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Comments

• SUPERTOM wrote:
    Seems like we all just need to play like we used to once we hit 800. Again, I'm fine with that if progression rewards are drastically reduced.

Except for some of us we never reach the 800 or stop once we reach 800. This means that we're stopping from the get go now.
  • bonfire01 wrote:
    Basically, for me at least, facing lvl 166s from 0 points every event is a game I essentially don't want to play. While they might be attempting to cater to transitional players or whatever this **** change is aimed at that's not going to change what I think of the game, whether I enjoy it and whether I want to spend my time playing it.....

Yes, it completely defeats the point of having maxed out all the 3*'s that I've spent so many countless hours getting up with ISO and time all to face a wall of other maxed out players and either try and health pack my way through to MAYBE 200-300 points while some 2* roster blows up the list for nothing... or just go play CoD and call it a day. I'm thinking CoD is looking a lot better than MPQ at this point.. The devs are definitely making console play a lot more appealing. Thanks D3!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I didn't join right away when there were a bunch of maxed 3 stars, but now it looks like things are smoothing out. I see reg ole seeds and mid level players when i refresh
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are no D3P personnel monitoring the forum to check on the feedback as to whether we are indeed "seeing anything different".

But I wonder if they are visiting as some of the 18 guests currently in this thread.
    If reaction is overly negative, we can roll things back before the Season gets underway
    Yes, please do.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    important!!!

I actually entered and beat a maxed team and then I saw star.pngstar.png teams!!!

Please try a couple matches to see if it works out. If there are a bunch of 166 sitting at 0 points you are going to continue to skip to 166 matches.

Please advise if anyone else gets normal matches now.
  • SpaceBearPig
    SpaceBearPig Posts: 83 Match Maker

I think a large majority of the playerbase (myself included) play this because we like progression. We like seeing that our time and effort results in tangible benefits that make us stronger gameplay-wise. Yes, you can promote "fairness" with a system like this and always face people exactly the same level as you, but that makes advancing your roster completely pointless. You might as well just stay in 1* land, because whats the point in having a bigger and stronger roster when all that does is make you face progressively equally hard opponents. Having no sense of progression is going to kill this game for a lot of the veterans, and even though that's been said multiple times in the past (true healing, spidey / rags nerf, etc etc), this is the first time that will probably actually result in a mass exodus of veteran players as it's changing something completely fundamental to the point of the game.

I don't disagree at all with your sentiment, from reading the reaction I think the experiment has been a huge failure on the behalf of anyone that is a veteran, it needs serious tweeking. However someone like me for example whos highest level character is at level 55 should never EVER have to fight teams consisting of a maxed X-Force or simillar. As soon as I hit 300-ish points, which I only used to do to get the event tokens, I hit a wall of 166. Then my a s s gets knocked down to under 200 points. Rinse. Repeat. Every PvP. I much prefer this system, sure hard fights even at the start but I'm progressing, fights are more fun and sometimes I win on defense etc.

In my eyes PvP might as well not exist, where is the fun in progressing for these kinds of players? It's all in PvE.

There should be spikes in difficulty of course, but there is difficutly and there is just plain impossible or tedious. I feel for you, you should be able to have the buffer of easy opponenets at the start of an event, high flying 2* players and even 1* players should be rotated into higher brackets from time to time so vets can have a plattform thats easy into the higher scores.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    My initial nodes:

29pt - 188 Ares/126 Loki/178 Doom
    25pt - 152 Hood/140 Moonstone/156 Ares
    27pt - 220 Hood/142 Sentry/150 XForce

Better than I was expecting to come home to. My 173 XF 282 Sentry 268 Hood should clean that up easy.

Hooray Devs, WTG!!

(just kidding, this is still a stupid change)

Edit: Just checked my LR teams, they're all typical seed teams (60/1/1). I also have only played a handful of LRs in my life.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Played through the seed teams then hit some strange ones. Matchups were either teams with 280+ members or teams with buffed Ares and buffed 1* and lowish 2*s.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker

I think a large majority of the playerbase (myself included) play this because we like progression. We like seeing that our time and effort results in tangible benefits that make us stronger gameplay-wise. Yes, you can promote "fairness" with a system like this and always face people exactly the same level as you, but that makes advancing your roster completely pointless. You might as well just stay in 1* land, because whats the point in having a bigger and stronger roster when all that does is make you face progressively equally hard opponents. Having no sense of progression is going to kill this game for a lot of the veterans, and even though that's been said multiple times in the past (true healing, spidey / rags nerf, etc etc), this is the first time that will probably actually result in a mass exodus of veteran players as it's changing something completely fundamental to the point of the game.

I don't disagree at all with your sentiment, from reading the reaction I think the experiment has been a huge failure on the behalf of anyone that is a veteran, it needs serious tweeking. However someone like me for example whos highest level character is at level 55 should never EVER have to fight teams consisting of a maxed X-Force or simillar. As soon as I hit 300-ish points, which I only used to do to get the event tokens, I hit a wall of 166. Then my a s s gets knocked down to under 200 points. Rinse. Repeat. Every PvP. I much prefer this system, sure hard fights even at the start but I'm progressing, fights are more fun and sometimes I win on defense etc.

In my eyes PvP might as well not exist, where is the fun in progressing for these kinds of players? It's all in PvE.

There should be spikes in difficulty of course, but there is difficutly and there is just plain impossible or tedious. I feel for you, you should be able to have the buffer of easy opponenets at the start of an event, high flying 2* players and even 1* players should be rotated into higher brackets from time to time so vets can have a plattform thats easy into the higher scores.

PvP is just that, player versus player. If you don't have the roster to compete for the top prizes, improve your roster. Sure it's an annoying slow grind, but I'd venture to say that most of the vets did that same grind that you are in the process of. We definitely didn't have as much of an issue getting covers since the roster variety wasn't there, but we also didn't have 2* characters dropping as rewards in a regular battle. There's no instant gratification in this game. Even whales need to get their first cover of a character before they can start dumping money into them.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    So, I have a pretty good roster of 166s...no lazy icon_daken.png or icon_hood.png that high, but they're in the 100s....but I haven't hit any maxed teams yet. Am I just lucky or is it just lurking out there somewhere? I've only beaten the seed teams and a few others, but no maxes yet.

Actually.....I think the Devs may have bailed on this set up already.....my Lightning Rounds are back to normal as well...
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I wiped out once, did a few skips and saw a bunch of maxxed out teams, tanked once. I am now seeing more normal teams. Normal for me, anyway. I'm looking at a Cstorm 35/ Captain Marvel 40, MBW 40 (clearly a tank team, their roster has two 166s, but just two - CMags and Psyduck,) and AWolvie 94/ LDaken 204 / Bullsye 156 (biggest character on roster is IW at 111, LDaken is at 102, 2* roster otherwise.)

Maybe they "tweaked" something back?
  • just did like 3 fights to get to 300 and the levels were much lower and easier, not sure if they fixed it or if this is just more screwy stuff
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    important!!!

I actually entered and beat a maxed team and then I saw star.pngstar.png teams!!!

Please try a couple matches to see if it works out. If there are a bunch of 166 sitting at 0 points you are going to continue to skip to 166 matches.

Please advise on how to beat maxed team when you don't have the roster to do so (ie: how can I even start?).
  • pony mad
    pony mad Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Dear developers,
    in case you are reading this and in case u actually set it back to the old system, on behalf of all dedicated players: thank you.
    i/we really enjoy this game and we achknowledge your efforts to make it even better. The idea of doing a test like this between the seasons is a very good one, but next time please consider that a new character as reward in an event is not the best testing ground. Maybe just throw in an additional event for testing while people can fight for what they like the way they used to.

And thank you for including the community in tests like this, not many developer do this so u might have pleased a lot of people by announcing testing phases for improvements/changes.

keep up the good work <3
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Thanks everyone for this thread and your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!

• I think a large majority of the playerbase (myself included) play this because we like progression. We like seeing that our time and effort results in tangible benefits that make us stronger gameplay-wise. Yes, you can promote "fairness" with a system like this and always face people exactly the same level as you, but that makes advancing your roster completely pointless. You might as well just stay in 1* land, because whats the point in having a bigger and stronger roster when all that does is make you face progressively equally hard opponents. Having no sense of progression is going to kill this game for a lot of the veterans, and even though that's been said multiple times in the past (true healing, spidey / rags nerf, etc etc), this is the first time that will probably actually result in a mass exodus of veteran players as it's changing something completely fundamental to the point of the game.

Now that you've revealed your roster progression, it's clear why you enjoy this change.

However, I question your PvP experience. I started a second account during anniversary to experience things from a beginner's perspective. It's on Day 43, and I just maxed my first 2*. The rest are underleveled and undercovered. Like you, I have hit 300 for the token in every PvP. Unlike you, I NEVER hit a "wall of 166" and NEVER get knocked down to 200, let alone get hit by any max 166s. I NEVER have to fight teams consisting of "maxed X-Force or similar." Even though my 2*s are higher leveled than yours.

I don't tank, and often I join the PvPs early because I already don't have enough time to play them on my primary account. So why is your experience so drastically different from mine? Your credibility is suspect.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    important!!!

Please advise on how to beat maxed team when you don't have the roster to do so (ie: how can I even start?).

icon_eek.gificon_question.gificon_idea.gif BOOST icon_question.gif It will only cost you 3 health packs if it doesn't work icon_rolleyes.gif or you can follow David's advice and skip 10 people.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Thanks everyone for this thread and your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!

Good to hear from David on this one, nice to know that the early results are being looked at and an early solution is already implemented. I look forward to the day where the advanced play-tester groups can iron these early issues out before implemented.
  • This True Healing things sucks. Also why u nerf Rags and Spiderman? You make me sad in my eyes.
  • whitecat31 wrote:
    4. If you put iso into **** or nerfed characters, you will still face people with iso in quality characters. The Algorithm also punishes people who have made mistakes but kept those flawed characters. Think about this. All of the hoarders who spend money on extra roster slots to collect them all, are being punished. Solution stop buying extra roster slots, and sell all the **** three stars. Maybe even sell the two stars and one stars if it lowers the rating.

I like getting all the characters and all bar the very newest are maxed covered at least. If D3 great idea is to have to sell off all the **** ones and throw away my 1 and 2 stars to be competitive - ie to totally punish progression - why play at all?

As for what their aims are they should have stated them VERY clearly in what they were trying to do and not post
    This will be a Beta test of sorts where we've made a tweak to the Versus matchmaking system in hopes that it will improve things for players. We don't mean to be coy, but we're not outlining what the changes are yet, as we're looking for unbiased reactions, positive or negative, to any differences you may notice.

Maybe this is the result they wanted and therefore it a success. I do not believe they just changed the system and did no internal testing, so it must be close to the desired result they are looking for.