Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Comments

• I was attacked the third match in while still playing the seed teams, first time for that. After the seeds they were all maxed for me as well which I assumed that they would be given how long villians have been around, that and I currently have one maxed 4* and 13 maxed 3*s so I'm guessing that serves me right.
  • Any chance NorthernPolarity we can all play your MPQ sim instead?
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Thanks everyone for this thread and your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!
    Aha skipping did the trick. Sanity is restored!
  • futongus wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Thanks everyone for this thread and your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!

Yes.. it appears they actually dialed the knob back to normal!!! Yay!!!

Thanks for listening.
  • pony mad
    pony mad Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Playing Lightninground now, my first impression is: "smashing"

i have a 142 hulk (buffed to 213) and i meet lvl 30-60 enemies now. as fun and iso-tastic this is, i think it is not as it is supposed to be icon_e_wink.gif
  • Madmanami wrote:
    I was attacked the third match in while still playing the seed teams, first time for that. After the seeds they were all maxed for me as well which I assumed that they would be given how long villians have been around, that and I currently have one maxed 4* and 13 maxed 3*s so I'm guessing that serves me right.

Happened to me too.

Bad scaling in PvE and now terrible MMR : yay !

Nefarious Foes will be difficult.

And as someone already said, giving Mystique as reward is awkward.

Since they explained that it was a test, and it is off season, I'll be more tolerant. But I'm glad I can play the LRs... Because the current PvE is nothing sexy for me, nor is Nefarious Foes.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    So can people hit Yama now?
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heh, at least so far the MMR has been taking the happy pills for me, because my post-seed match-ups have been a bit giggle-inducing.
    I don't have any max ***, but I have a fairly well developed rosters. So far my 314 Classic Magneto / 142 Ares / 174 Hood has fared pretty well against my first post-seed battles:

17 Thor
    8 Black Widow
    17 Iron Man

11 Iron Man
    10 Juggernaut
    40 She Hulk

Ah, on the third fight I bet that new algo kicked in, because my next fight is:
    94 Thor
    114 Moonstone
    94 Hawkeye

and then...
    106 Doom
    94 Thor
    94 C. Storm

which are more reasonable in the 150 point range
  • pony mad
    pony mad Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    pony mad wrote:
    Playing Lightninground now, my first impression is: "smashing"

i have a 142 hulk (buffed to 213) and i meet lvl 30-60 enemies now. as fun and iso-tastic this is, i think it is not as it is supposed to be icon_e_wink.gif

i also encounter maxxed characters on higher score, i seem to dip into every possible combination right now.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I think all rewards should be changed to tokens/iso if they are going to continuously tweak MMR. Maybe even hundreds to 600 are standard, 800 & 1000 are Heroic, 1200+ are Event? Do odd hundreds as increasing ISO, starting off at 250 and going up by 100 per bounce? Its kind of generous, but who knows what scores will look like and a nice reward for beta testing doesnt hurt. Plus it removes the sting of missing out on covers if you get screwed by pushing during a bad patch.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Fisben wrote:
    futongus wrote:
    "David wrote:

Thanks!

Yes.. it appears they actually dialed the knob back to normal!!! Yay!!!

Thanks for listening.

Ironically, I went from nothing but feeder teams to near maxed out teams. icon_lol.gif

From a design standpoint, I hope the goal for D3 isn't to get the match making so that you are almost always facing similar leveled teams, regardless of what level you are at. While that sounds fair in theory, in practice "fair" isn't good in a game that involves character leveling. If I'm always going to face similarly leveled team then there is no purpose to me spending ISO to level any of mine. I'm not rewarded by it at all as I no longer gain any advantages from it. In fact, leveling heros would actually be a disadvantage as higher level characters have a longer recovery time. The most rewarding part of leveling my team was going from being the hunted to the hunter and working my way up from PvP scores in the 500's to the 1100 -1400.
  • SpaceBearPig
    SpaceBearPig Posts: 83 Match Maker
    gobstopper wrote:
    Now that you've revealed your roster progression, it's clear why you enjoy this change.

However, I question your PvP experience. I started a second account during anniversary to experience things from a beginner's perspective. It's on Day 43, and I just maxed my first 2*. The rest are underleveled and undercovered. Like you, I have hit 300 for the token in every PvP. Unlike you, I NEVER hit a "wall of 166" and NEVER get knocked down to 200, let alone get hit by any max 166s. I NEVER have to fight teams consisting of "maxed X-Force or similar." Even though my 2*s are higher leveled than yours.

I don't tank, and often I join the PvPs early because I already don't have enough time to play them on my primary account. So why is your experience so drastically different from mine? Your credibility is suspect.

Might be a roster thing, I have 36 characters in my roster, almost all are at level 55 or close that are 2*. Have all 2*, not all have maxed covers, most lack 2-3. Excluding Bullseye and Magneto who are way behind.

Every three or fourth PvP I'm able to get close to top100, most of the time not making it all the way, just get attacked too much. I'm on day 34, used to play on Steam now playing on mobile.

Max 166 may have been a overexageration, but a wall of 3* roster ranging from 100 to 166. For sure a few X-Force ranging from 100 to max, depending on how high I go.

Honestly though even getting to that 300 is hard, once i get to 220-ish i start dropping points. The last 4 events I've finished outside top 300 even 2 times, 1 time top 200 and last PvP I placed top 100 at 450 points for a yellow Hood cover. Before that the only time I've placed for a 3* cover was a top 25 placement that netted me 2xFaclcons.

I have no qualms being transparent in this issue, my IGN is SpaceLord and I'm in the Lock and Load alliance, if you choose to believe me it's up to you.

I do find this discussion facinating as I'd love to see PvP change in a positive way. The devs most likely have data that made them make a change and rolling out a change that effects such a large part of the playerbase is always going to need a lot of tweeking. I can only give my point of view.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    This game is meant to be fun right? Did I miss a memo?

Edit: Just skipped again and like others have reported it's back to a semblance of sanity. Praise Jebus.
  • Latest tweak seems to have improved things - nodes seem to alternate between lvl 332s and max 2*s or lower which is fine for me and is closer to how it was before at low points at least. Thanks

Still don't understand how its working though as I'm seeing a much wider range of teams - high and low levels - than ever.
  • Yay. MMR is much better. IceIX must have gone in and slapped some sense into those people.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    "David wrote:

Thanks!

While I appreciate the attempt at a hot-patch, an actual apology for this royal screwup would be more apprecated than continued droning on about (and over-reliance on) statistics that by now are uselessly skewed.
    I might add that this kind of screweup by all rights should have revealed itself instantly given proper testing on a proper staging environment. I feel this is the case with many if not all critical issues we have been seeing with this game over the past year. I'm not saying this in anger, merely stressing it to get the point across.
    Please, please: upgrade your development practices to catch this kind of thing early!!! There's only so much a game's community can take before it becomes totally toxic.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Iiiiiiiinteresting and not entirely in a good way.

My initial match-ups started me off against people who - even with my rainbow roster of Boosted villains - were higher-leveled than I was by 10-20 levels, depending.

I saw a max-covered Sentry, mostly-covered 3* Daken (all Blues, most Black and Purple), and mostly-covered Hood (all Blacks, most Blue and Yellow) team as one of my first matches. I also saw a mostly-covered Sentry + Patch + Hood team. They were both underleveled despite their covers but still significantly stronger than any of mine (boosted levels included) by 10-20 levels (because I can't EVEN level some of my villains past what I've already leveled for lack of covers) and I promptly skipped both of them after looking at the rest of their rosters.

After skipping each of my 'starting' nodes, it seems like the matches were a bit more balanced.

That initial matchmaking, though?

That was kind of yikes.

How did it decide that my roster with barely covered and hardly leveled 3* characters and non-fully leveled 2*s needed a match against them?

Because I have a diverse roster?
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited November 2014
    Seeing characters all above 200 right from the start with more retals than I normally get. Gotta say I find this a bit frustrating.

EDIT: MUCH better after tweak!
  • I don't get why any changes in the lower point area were made... I want to have the feeling of progression in a PvP. It should be easy to score at first and get harder as I climb. If its super hard from beginning to end there is no motivation for me to play at all... If anything the MMR should be changed to make it easier in PvP to make it more fun so more ppl play, and less ppl quit.
  • so although i don't like the new changes, i will give D3 credit for letting us test it so they can or cannot implement it and i would like to say thank you, assuming that they dont go ahead and implement it despite the communities dislike of the feature