***** Ronan (The Accuser) *****

123457»

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Almost anyone can hit big when boosted. However you cannot go for him thinking on his godboost week. There are a lot of weeks more.
     I have almost 10 covers but I will let him pass by because he is slow. Like cyclops, he will be shamefully unchamped.
    If at least he had another colors...
    Of course I will use SC a hundred times more.
    And I must champ electro at any cost. Ironically she can be devastating teamed with 2 heroes, one of them is polaris.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Electro's green is amazing with Polaris. You have to be careful with leaving red tiles at the top of the board with no matches underneath to drop them, but otherwise, I really like that combo. I've decided to only snag her green cover since I'm hoarding, but anyone in 4/5* land with the resources should champ her.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akoni said:
    Electro's green is amazing with Polaris. You have to be careful with leaving red tiles at the top of the board with no matches underneath to drop them, but otherwise, I really like that combo. I've decided to only snag her green cover since I'm hoarding, but anyone in 4/5* land with the resources should champ her.
    Except once Polaris starts flooding the board, you’ll be hard-pressed to use Electro’s Green and be unlikely to create a Strike in the bottom row.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Akoni said:
    Except once Polaris starts flooding the board, you’ll be hard-pressed to use Electro’s Green and be unlikely to create a Strike in the bottom row.
    If Polaris floods the board the match is generally over anyways with BRB. There are other characters that are better partners for those two, but Electro’s green helps get the stun lock going since it often destroys a few protects, which Polaris often makes copies over the other countdowns. But it’s true, you do have to make a decision based on where the red tiles are open if you want her or BRB’s green. The strike at the bottom is pretty meh in most cases, unless you’re desperate for special tiles to match.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Here are some fun Pick-3 strategies I've found for building around Ronan, boosted or otherwise (but obviously he is awesome on boost):

I've tried prioritizing CD shorteners in order to accelerate that countdown - it does hit pretty big when it finally goes off. I kind of like Flaptain on paper, since he shortens a Countdown by one any time he matches blue, which he is unable to use and Ronan can put to great use. But as a 4* he doesn't really last that long, and his other yellow/red powers kind of get in the way of Ronan trying to propogate repeaters around the map. Coulson is another 4* who passively shortens countdowns. He is a relatively complex machine, and I'm not entirely sure that he adds a lot to Ronan either. 4* Carol is kind of on her own trip with strike enhancement and all that, so she doesn't bring much either.

So the next thing I was trying was repeater fortification. If you can flood a board with repeaters, each one hits for mega damage based on how many are around, and if fortified they do it 2x times. For that, Shuri and 4* Human Torch are awesome. In this scenario, just chase blue for Ronan or Red for Shuri as fast as you can, but ideally here you want blue first if it's available. Fire off Uncompromising Power and Torch will passively fortify 3 friendly repeaters for you. As soon as you get a 4th, Shuri will start reducing the power cost of everything by 4 down to a minimum of 3. Now things get fun, because any blue match 3 you can do allows you to fire off UP to speed up the board flood, and casual matches that include existing tiles aren't as detrimimental to the overall total. Once you have a good chunk of the board covered, you can fire off Torch's red to destroy all the friendly repeaters on the board, which is a Galactus level nuke at that point, even unboosted. I tried using Heimdall and Torch with him, but Heimdall doesn't provide the blanket AP coupon you get from Shuri, and competes for blue with Ronan. I also experimented with several blue batteries here, primarily Vulture. Seems like IM40/Shuri as suggested by @HoundofShadow elsewhere could get you the AP all at once very quickly, but I just worry about survivability bringing 3*s into either PVE SCL10 or 5* MMR pvp.

I think his ideal 5* pick-2 partner might be 5* Green Goblin, who passively fortifies repeaters and actively shortens countdowns, a cheap active black, and really ideally it would be a boosted Goblin because he has an ultra-dated health pool. I'm still working on Odin and Electro myself, but there is a possiblity being able to hide behind Odin or having Electro's green board damage could be pretty powerful.

@ThaRoadWarrior
    Did you try him with C4rol or with Cable?  

C4rol can reduce his countdown tile to 0 with just 5 yellow AP, and Cable fortifies friendly countdowns when you make a yellow match. From memory only Cable and GreenGoblin in 5stars can fortify friendly countdowns in this manner.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tried him with both; and it’s repeaters that are unique to Cable and Goblin. Cable only fortified them when you make a yellow match, which isn’t that useful with Ronan because it’s entirely board dependent. I also really want to find a meaningful use for Cable, but I don’t think this is it.

I mentioned C4rol in the CD shortening paragraph. You don’t want to be chasing yellow with Ronan, you really want blue whatever way you can get it.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,771 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's going to surprise and annoy a lot of people when he's boosted.  Mine is 460ish and his CD hits for like 65,000 when boosted.  If you can't kill him or double match away his CD in 3 turns, a random guy on your team is eating 60k+.  SW doesn't reduce it either, since it hits before she's built up any charges.

The rest of his powers aren't super relevant on defense but that power alone is going to cause a bunch of problems for some people.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    agree; I would say he is right around Killmonger in usefulness for me boosted and unboosted.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,008 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dig Ronan. His black and blue are both really good and hit hard. He’ll always have that bad matchup vs Kitty 
    and that’s his biggest problem. But other than that…… 

I really like him vs Switch because his CD is a big nuke and unlike a lot of big hitting powers, only hits once. The match damage increase can be really clutch as well. But it has to target her and that’s a random deal unfortunately. 

I really like him with Cyclops and America Chavez. Just one yellow cast and he’s tanking everything but yellow and green. 

I would like him a lot with Rogue and Switch but my Switch is 10 level higher than Ronan so she’s gonna tank blue now matter what. Also, I want to cast Rogue’s green on blue, but there aren’t many characters with blue as the strongest color besides ProfX and Polaris (who is usually with Kitty). 

Ronan’s has to have a team built around him as he doesn’t help anybody and becomes weaker when not targeting characters under CD.