***** Ronan (The Accuser) *****

Comments

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    So it's not 2->4->16? The repeats don't self replicate?
    Each repeater tile self replicates. That’s precisely why it’s exponential.

Ronan starts off with 2 repeaters.
    Those repeaters then replicate. So now you have 4 repeaters.

Each of those 4 repeaters replicate. So now you have 8 repeaters. 

Each of those 8 repeaters replicate. So now you have 16 repeaters. Ad infinitum.

Your equation is incorrect. As I stated above, it is 2^x, whereas yours is x^2.
    An exponential growth in a non linear X would be 2,4,16,256 , etc.  They simply DOUBLE 2,4,8,16, etc , simple and non ambiguous.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards

Each of those 8 repeaters replicate. So now you have 16 repeaters. Ad infinitum.

An exponential growth in a non linear X would be 2,4,16,256 , etc.  They simply DOUBLE 2,4,8,16, etc , simple and non ambiguous.
    Go and plot a graph of y = 2^x, and show me how that isn't exponential.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor

Exponential_growth

@TheEyeDoctorsWife What you might be describing is cubic growth which is, I believe, is a number times itself, then that number times itself. @BlackBoltRocks is describing exponential growth which is a number times 2, then that number times 2. I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that is correct. I use to be decent at mathematics, but it was probably my least favorite subject. If I'm misunderstanding someone will let me know.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went to Google "what is the exponential of 2?" And it shows:

https://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol3/exponents

:D 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    @Akoni exponential growth is simply a growth whose rate becomes ever more rapid in proportion to the growing total number or size. The derivative of an exponential equation is a linear equation i.e. for f(x) = x^2, the derivative is f'(x) = 2x. An example is speed and acceleration. Increasing speed (exponential) means constant acceleration (linear). Constant speed (linear) means zero acceleration, i.e. the vehicle is travelling at a constant speed, thus it is not accelerating. 

Both square growth and cubic growth are exponential. As long as the rate of growth is more (or less) than proportionate.

Ah I love maths. Which is why, to come back on topic, let me address @trenchdigger's and @HoundofShadow's posts. I played the node numerous times, and yes I noticed a discrepancy in his Blue damage not corresponding to the total number of repeater tiles.

• HoundofShadow
    edited June 2021
    I fired his UC. Both repeaters were on green tiles and the match-3 contained both repeaters.

His CD is targeted at HT, so I targeted him. His HP is 7315.

Ronan's green tile deals 41 damage and repeater deals 549 each.

So, I made a green match3 with both repeaters in it.

First, it showed 246 damage, followed by 1098. HT has only 5971 HP left. He took a total of 7315-5971=  1344 damage. 
    (41*3)*2=246
    549*2= 1098
    Total: 1344

In this specific scenario, the calculation is correct.

In another scenario, replace HT with IW because the CD is targeting her. She had 7315HP too.There are only two repeaters. One is on green and the other is on blue.

I made a green  match3. 246 was shown, followed by 1100. She had 6215 hp left, which means she took a total of 1100 damage.

Note: there wasn't any cascade nor protect tile in both scenario.

To conclude, his blue power is bugged or the calculation is too complex.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    After playing with him, I think he is a bit better than expected BUT still not good enough to have any impact in the game.

I still hate that black is random, but at least the damage when it expires is decent.

Red's damage is ok, but nothing too special. This is most probably the power at 3 covers (If you are bringing Ronan it is probably for his other two powers).

Blue: Weird damage totals aside, this is a fun power, but hard to do big damage in real PvP matches. When he is in scl10 node this power is going to be VEEEEERY annoying. If you leave it get out of control it is going to down a char for sure.

He will probably be pretty decent against old goon nodes, where both her black and blue will have time to do their staff. Just okeish anywhere else. As I said he is going to have 0 impact in either PvE or PvP.

I guess I will get Colossus and skip this char completely. Another month without a great PvE char, I dont know why I keep playing at this point...
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 341 Mover and Shaker
    As fun is tons of argument of mathematical definitions, take it to pms?

Anyway, I really don't like that the black power is set in stone regardless of if that character gets KOd, especially since you have no control over it.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2021
    I know other people have commented on this, but wow that countdown hanging out after the character is downed is just really, really bad.

Does it continue to limit match damage against other characters? I'm assuming so but haven't tested yet.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Can someone tell me how to upload a video, I've got a doozy for Ronan
  • Pantera236
    And photos too while we're at it, will help me explain it better
  • Pantera236
  • Pantera236
    Ah ha figured it out, so 223k damage was done. My level 522 apoc adds 15312 per hit. I think what is happening is Ronans blue power "deal 237 damage for this time and each other UP tile on the board" is actually 2 separate hits. And then because there is 3 UP tiles in the match 3 that's 6 hits, and then because they are fortified xs 2 making it 12 separate hits. 15312 x 12 = 183,774 plus 2 black match 3s is 9174 leaving just over 30k to account for. I forgot to look to see if the JC tiles was targeting riri but shouldn't matter anyway as Ronan is not tanking black 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2021
    The match damage shown is always correct, regardless of who Judgement Call targets.  What's weird is the way the UP tiles are calculated. Each UP tile has a fixed value and it is the same value regardless of how many UP tile you have. So, if there are 10 UP tiles and assuming each deal 500 damage, it should deal 500*10=5000, when you match one of them. However, the final value is always lesser than the expected value. I was expecting it to work like Mr Sinister's blue power (capped at 8 trap tiles). Anyway, I've put up a bug report for his UP. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is it removing the tile that was matched before totalling up the extra damage?
  • HoundofShadow
    The board has only 2 UP repeaters. Using the first node in his introducing as an example, the damage difference between making a green match 3 with 2 repeaters in it and a green match-3 with only 1 repeater in it is 244.

Here is the bug report where the context is very detailed:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/85154/ronans-uncompromising-power-damage-is-buggy#latest
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably his condition of increase or decrease match damage is messing calculations.
    Now add his cd remains there after downing the target and if it appeared on the same turn you downed him the cd will stay 3 turns.
    If these 2 bugs are not fixed, this character could be worse than cyclops. And it was no easy task.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,008 Chairperson of the Boards
    Say what you about Ronan but that blue power is crazy and it can get out hand quickly. It may not be the best blue in 5* land but it’s up there. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    If you can get it going, his blue is good. I'm not confident it will become a huge issue.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does repeater tiles count as friendly special tiles? If it's reliable and quick enough to fill the board, perhaps you can team Knull up with Lockjaw. Lockjaw yellow prevents 100% of the match damage and they deal damage to themselves.