Feedback Wanted: Character Balance

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some characters could use super soldier serum

To be fair, Worthy was updated in the middle of his new release. At first he only made his CDs on yellow tiles; then they changed it so they appeared on any tile.

That made a huge difference.

I made a song about him! :D

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2020
    Options

Creating a character with a passive that creates a 3 turn countdown at the start of the match that prevented all passives would work nicely. It would fix both gritty and bishop/cap teams in pvp while allowing them to still be useful in pve.

• MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options

From how I understand it, it seems that the suggestion would work more like Main event hulk or Rocket, where the effect happens upon the start of the fight. The stun would happen immediately, giving you a free turn, but wouldn’t carry through the entire fight.

My suggestion for a power like this would be for it to work a little more like Karnak’s black does. The stun happens on the first match, before any passive can trigger, and then changes to a separate power. You would be able to choose the target (bishop and worthy) and then get a free lick in.

You would have to have a decent alternate power though, otherwise it would be useless after the first turn like rocket is

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some characters could use a dusting of nerf powder

Most passives kick in on your 2nd turn not at match start. If it was not at match start a mirror match bishop could still jump in front, smack you, gain his ap, if you "goof" and cascaded on him he got 10 or more blue. Then his team goes and the 3 turn passive block gets placed and he stuns one of your team while draining 6 of your teams strongest ap.

Most teams cannot deal around 17k damage in 3 turns without passives. At best this just slows the game down even more but does not fix the issue. Bishop or worthy would not jump in front so on offense they would just sit in back till the countdown was gone then start their craziness. On defense I'm not sure what team could take them out before the countdown resolved. You might get them to half health but they would still get to do their thing at least once.

• DAZ0273
    Options

The issues with Bishop are his massive AP gain for nothing and his passive jump in front. I think a re-work that could work would be that he can only fire his blue once and then a countdown tile is put on the board where Bishop has to recover from the strain of channeling the energy before he can do so again. This would mean that he still gets to stun an enemy character but can't stunlock the whole team and gives the opposition a chance to strike back against him. Maybe? I dunno. Lets nerf Kitty! ;)

• tiomono
    edited February 2020
    Options

Bishop does not do it for nothing. He trades health for damage and ap. His jump in front forces all 5* characters to deal with it or not come to the fight. His tradeoff is so strong though it's always worth it.

The amount of characters that can destroy, weaken, or steal specials is fairly large. Without specials on the board kitty is super slow. She is also slow on putting her own specials down. 8 yellow let's her put out 3 protects. 6 red puts a countdown that requires an enemy power to damage her team to put out 3 attack tiles. Kitty only shines with teammates that spam specials. Nobody spams specials like 4* grocket.

I still think there are multiple options across several tiers to deal with kitty's strenghts. Bishop and worthy have no solid answers in the 5* tier. If they just had an answer for these 2 jumping in front vs all 5* match damage in the 5* tier I would be happy.

• spatenfloot
    Options

I said at match start (like grocket) and jump in front is a passive.

• tiomono
    Options

Ok. So are 3 turns enough for you to remove those characters as a threat without any passives?

• spatenfloot
    edited February 2020
    Options

Possibly. Far more than on turn 1. Also means they don't have 30 ap on their 1st turn which is the problem.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I guess the winky didn't translate that I was just kidding as well as intended...stupid winky...

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

the most-viable 5* response to those two that I have is Okoye +2 team-up, Profe$$or X, and a few prayers for a turn 1 or 2 match-4 available.

• tiomono
    Options

@spatenfloot and others.

Honestly I love the ideas and theorycrafting solutions. I just try and think it out fully from in game how it would work and ask questions in that direction. I think we could pin down some good ideas for the devs to ponder on for moves in the game if we keep it up.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Options

Wonder if they simply updated 5* Thanos so that his purple ability also had a passive that fires his purple power for free automatically at the start of a battle? That would stop WorthyCap for a few turns, probably not Gritty though. Doesn't really address Bishop either I guess unless they made it so Thanos can't be stunned....which he shouldn't be .....because he is Thanos. 😈

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

How about some characters/skills designed around the idea of support? For example, at level 5 make Silver Surfer's perfect being not only grant himself stun immunity, but for his teammates as well.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

if that purple had the effect of reducing his match damage, you might have something to counter Bishop, but if that’s all it did that would be pretty single-purpose.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The one that immediately jumps to mind is Vision....

The rough idea is ok, but the modes are almost useless by themselves and you absolutely need red to attack.

In reality he uses the powers together, they should be able to coexist instead of replace each other and they could do something tiny individually too, so they were worth using even if one was on the board.

• ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options

Just drop the red AP cost to 7 rather than its normal 10.

Make "Density: Heavy" and "Density: Light" the same move with the same cost. So you can switch between the two kind of like spiderwomens purple move.

And give him a new 3rd move. Maybe a passive of some sort.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It occurs to me that you could potentially switch up Vision into the 3 tier's version of jump in front character, to bedevil the 4* players.

He has superhuman (computerized) reflexes, intangibility (can't touch him), can approach you untouched, phase into you, and just slightly increase his density and knock you unconscious (or straight up kill you, seems like a horror movie could be made if Disney wanted).

And more! Flight, energy beams, superhuman strength......and on and on.

Sounds like a powerset that could make him very good at counterattacks.

I'm not sure the devs should work on the 3 tier though; I think the best place to focus their efforts would be the 4 tier.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No one is bringing up the ultimate broken team yet? the unbeatable pair?

I'm surprised.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

For me that’s Carbage/BRB, is it the same for everyone?