Please nerf 5* Gambit

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    17 Champed 5*’s ranging from 470 Thanos to 451 SL.

Missed 1.2 for the past 4-6 events.  Lost track do to quit caring.

Used 5/3/3 Level 420 Gambit.  Hit 1.2 with minimal attacks, some blues, and pm shield checks (haven’t had those in forever not that I care about hits)

But let’s keep arguing that he is perfectly fine how he is just cause he makes pvp super easy for all those who have him please.  I will champ him most likely and I will most likely dislike him even more after.

PVP matches are as follows

me: ha I matched 3 red

ai: ha, I deleted two of your red and matched some purple.

me: I deleted one of those purple and matched an insignificant color.

(couple rounds later)

ai: I just put out some cd tiles and deleted some more of your AP.  Would you fire red already?

me: I just delete some more of your AP and I overwrote your cd tiles with my own cd tiles.  I am not gonna fire red until you fire red.  So just get on with it would you please.

(few rounds later after much red has been accumulated by both sides)

aI: ha, I fired red and purple and deleted more of your ap.

me: dumb move...  fire red, fire red, fire red, fire red, fire purple.

game over!

invigorating, isn’t it?
    You missed the part where the AI inexplicably holds red for Thor even though it can't fire it until Gambit is dead.
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    D3 is at an interesting place.  On one hand, you have a character that was approved by the team to be in the game.  The character was broken at first, then they fixed it, but it's still broken.  Something needs to be done, but what do you do?  There are pretty much two options:  Nerf Gambit again, or not nerf Gambit again.

If they nerf Gambit (a character who's still very new to the game) again, the fallout would be really bad, because at this point, practically everyone is putting all their resources into either getting Gambit or making their champed Gambit bigger.  Nerfing him at this point would be worse than nerfing Old Man Logan for morale because people will feel really slighted (I'm still salty about that nerf).  

Nerfing the character again would also hit D3's reputation hard.  I don't mean to offend because I respect the work of game developers, but what player wants to play a game by a developer that needs not one, not two, but THREE shots at making a new character playable in their own game?  It sends a message that they don't know what they're doing and investing anything (especially money) into it is a waste.

What if they don't nerf Gambit though?  What happens?  They'll probably make new characters that are just as strong, and/or buff existing characters in the 5* tier.  This would balance out the tier I think because because the 5 tier doesn't feel like much of a step above the 4 tier to me anyway.  It also crazy fun to feel like you're in god mode when you play with these powerful characters.  More characters like this are needed and would make me more inclined to stay with the game (for context, I have 9 champed 5s including Gambit and Blackbolt, so I'm aware of how powerful and pretty much ubiquitous they are).

I like things as they are right now because pvp is a breeze for me (I just play to progression and call it a day), but I agree something needs to happen to balance the scales for the sake of playing with more than just Gambit and Blackbolt.  I prefer adding new strong characters and buffing existing ones.  I wonder how they're handling this at D3 right now.  They have to be feeling the pressure with this.  Or maybe not.  I'd love to know though
  • dlegendary0ne
    edited January 2018
    It kinda blows my mind that us players (myself included) complain so much, and talk about how bad this game is, but still play it thinking things will get better when they continue to make bad decisions.  At that point, is it really the developer's "fault" for making a "bad" game, or the players' for continuing to play when bad decisions are made?  At what point are we just as responsible for this as they are?  More importantly, what is anyone going to do about it?
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Well I for one, voted to nerf 5Gambit, before i even fully covered him. Now its been a month, since i champ my own (now at 451). All i can still say is.. to balance him,  just remove the passive ap generation. Rest of powers can stay as it is.. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    I made my voice heard with my wallet.  I have not spent since his release.  That’s the loudest voice I have other than utilizing their official forum to voice our displeasures.

I am critical of the devs but have also praised when due (correcting the strange sights error and providing proper compensation to those impacted).  This is their forum so I don’t know where else we should come to tell them of their mistakes and offer solutions not just endless criticism.  Read this thread, there’s tons of constructive dialogue not just angst and tantrums.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    At a bare minimum, they need to remove the tinykitty AP drain, what a frustrating and
    unfun mechanic to have introduced.
  • dlegendary0ne
    edited January 2018
    I've read some of it and I know there's constructive dialogue there.  I'm just saying if this issue is really that serious, we can walk away completely.  That's way easier said than done though because of the nature of FTP games.  They're designed to make addicts out of players.  I'm just ready for D3 to make a move - any move, so I can make mine and move on
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    Day 1550 veteran, always maintained a high drive to play well in events & support the game financially. I have always been vocal about what I love and don’t approve of in MPQ. 

Lately not only has the game felt completely broken due to gambit mainly but morale is at an all time low. Scores and activity in the game and LINE seem lower overall, many ppl like myself are floating around 575 in pvp and are too bored to even do full clears in pve. Hard to get excited about chasing any new covers because if it’s not Gambit it doesn’t matter.

i used to feel good about spending now I can’t even buy $5 worth of HP without cringing. I don’t even feel angry anymore I’m more just feeling defeated that I’ve become so disinterested in what used to be one heck of a great game. I find it also extremely disheartening we ALL want this nerf for gambit so bad and other 5s buffed yet we are ignored w/ zero feedback 
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Thanks for turning a genuine conversation adolescent.   I’m sure this thread that has been long ignored, will now get proper attention!  Good job
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Day 1550 veteran, always maintained a high drive to play well in events & support the game financially. I have always been vocal about what I love and don’t approve of in MPQ. 

Lately not only has the game felt completely broken due to gambit mainly but morale is at an all time low. Scores and activity in the game and LINE seem lower overall, many ppl like myself are floating around 575 in pvp and are too bored to even do full clears in pve. Hard to get excited about chasing any new covers because if it’s not Gambit it doesn’t matter.

i used to feel good about spending now I can’t even buy $5 worth of HP without cringing. I don’t even feel angry anymore I’m more just feeling defeated that I’ve become so disinterested in what used to be one heck of a great game. I find it also extremely disheartening we ALL want this nerf for gambit so bad and other 5s buffed yet we are ignored w/ zero feedback 
    Haven't been on the boards much but did I miss something? You use to feel good about spending money on this game before gambit? Didn't you have that epically long anger thread after oml got nerfed and you said you regretted dumping thousands and thousands of dollars into this game?

Are you still dumping crazy cash and feeling good? I'm lost. Last I recalled you threaten lawsuits?
  • Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler

Haven't been on the boards much but did I miss something? You use to feel good about spending money on this game before gambit? Didn't you have that epically long anger thread after oml got nerfed and you said you regretted dumping thousands and thousands of dollars into this game?

Are you still dumping crazy cash and feeling good? I'm lost. Last I recalled you threaten lawsuits?
    This is true!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    So A bunch of players who were winning 95% of the time are complaining? Sounds to me as though whatever team you were using to win 95% of matches needs nerfing.

As for gambit this is no different than anytime the meta changes. I just think people are overreacting. 

Is it a problem ? Probably not. Each tier has its ubiquitous characters and teams. I'm fed up of seeing gamorusarocket in every match in sim. Should they be nerfed? Some characters are naturally more ubiquitous due to them having good synergy doesn't mean they need nerfing and honestly gambit isn't all that scary without a charge tile producer. He's tough no doubt but unbeatable? Nobody is. 

Having recently completed 2 x 5* and a third almost done I'll actually be moving up a tier so who knows maybe in a month I'll be singing the same song as everyone else and eating humble pie. Seems like devs can't win, when they make a good character he needs nerfing. When they make a bad one people moan. When they make an average one everyone sighs 'meh' 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    So A bunch of players who were winning 95% of the time are complaining? Sounds to me as though whatever team you were using to win 95% of matches needs nerfing.

As for gambit this is no different than anytime the meta changes. I just think people are overreacting. 

Is it a problem ? Probably not. Each tier has its ubiquitous characters and teams. I'm fed up of seeing gamorusarocket in every match in sim. Should they be nerfed? Some characters are naturally more ubiquitous due to them having good synergy doesn't mean they need nerfing and honestly gambit isn't all that scary without a charge tile producer. He's tough no doubt but unbeatable? Nobody is. 

Having recently completed 2 x 5* and a third almost done I'll actually be moving up a tier so who knows maybe in a month I'll be singing the same song as everyone else and eating humble pie. Seems like devs can't win, when they make a good character he needs nerfing. When they make a bad one people moan. When they make an average one everyone sighs 'meh' 
    This is what it boils down too... I've been playing this game forever and this is what it all comes back around too. Usually I'm right outside the meta and gambit is just like all the other strong characters or teams that I could beat but take damage in the process doing.

The problem this time is almost EVERYONE managed to get a gambit and he disrupts the "hierarchy" of what it means to be a "top tier" player in the game.  People don't like that gambit teams can challenge all there other teams. 

When in reality, they were the same people in here complaining about thanos, but ironically enough not about OML.... and the reason behind that? Probably because he was SO hard to come by that only whales and people lucky enough to luck up and get one had him. 

And then there are the "Gambit makes things so boring" guys, I need to use him to beat him. WHEN HAS THIS EVER NOT BEEN THE CASE. Maybe if you were at the tippy top you could beat the meta with a different team but most players had to fight the meta with the meta...hence it being meta.

A couple months ago, Thanos and Panther were so OP and made clearing way to easy, today its not even a discussion. 

If the mass amount of people that got a hold of gambit wouldn't have I have a strong feeling that the cry's wouldn't be a loud from a "certain" crowd/group of players.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I'm really not sure why I read your posts anymore because you clearly have no understanding of what you're saying despite the counter arguments made numerous times.

It's been explained why Panthos was the meta - because everybody had them and because Panthos was (and arguably still is) the quickest team to clear grills.  But it was never the best A-team out there and could/can be beaten reliably by any other 5* combo.  For example I've taken out a 500+ Panthos with Daredevil/Banner and a 550 Panthos with Daredevil/Gamora (which shows how good DD really is).

Gambit is the meta because he is head and shoulders better than any other 5* out there and it's not even close.  He's the best on offense and defense and you HAVE to use him.  If you don't have him your PvP experience will be horrible.  And you might beat him sometimes but you can be damn sure you'll be using healthpacks afterwards either way.

And the "top tier" really don't give a tinykitty about the volume of new 5* players having baby Gambits.  The top tier now have 500+ Gambits which are very tough to beat even with your own Gambit.  The very top tier are now more untouchable than they have ever been before as you can beat 550 OML/PHX, Panthos, PHX/SS (J1P) but beating a 550 Gambolt (or even Daredevil/Gambit or Thor/Gambit etc) is almost impossible unless you have the same characters within 50 or so levels of the opposition.
  • TF1977
    TF1977 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Just checking in on this. The "nerf" didn't work.

PvP at the 5* level without a Gambit is unplayable. (I have all 3* champed, all but the 3 newest 4* champed)

I have champed 5* versions of: Hawkeye, Spiderman, Black Panther, Thanos, Black Widow, Star Lord, and OML. No combination of these characters can reliably beat 5* Gambit.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards

And then there are the "Gambit makes things so boring" guys, I need to use him to beat him. WHEN HAS THIS EVER NOT BEEN THE CASE. Maybe if you were at the tippy top you could beat the meta with a different team but most players had to fight the meta with the meta...hence it being meta.

A couple months ago, Thanos and Panther were so OP and made clearing way to easy, today its not even a discussion. 

If the mass amount of people that got a hold of gambit wouldn't have I have a strong feeling that the cry's wouldn't be a loud from a "certain" crowd/group of players.

You ask "when has this ever not been the case."  Honestly, it almost never has been the case.  Before Gambit, the top of the meta was Panthos.  The best team to beat Panthos is not Panthos, not even close.  I generally fielded Surfer/Bolt against Panthos.  Before Panthos... honestly I'm not sure what the top of the 5* meta was - it may have been Widow/Bolt (that's what I ran, but BW isn't great, to be honest,) it may have been Surfer/Bolt (a solid sustainable team, but only quick under limited circumstances, I didn't have Surfer until way after Panthos,) or it may have gone all the way back to OML/PHX.  But honestly I could take down OML/PHX with Widow/Bolt, and I'm pretty sure those people playing OML/PHX had no real trouble with my team either.  In general, good play was the key to winning a match - good characters were important, but you could definitely take down the top of the meta with the next level down.  That's just plain not the case with Gambit.  Sure, it's possible, but you're at a severe disadvantage.

Back before 4* and Boosted characters other than the Featured in PVP, Hood kind of occupied this niche, but he was so crunchy he wasn't that tough to take down.  Sentry before his nerf, of course, was absolutely necessary for the top of the meta, but if you think he wasn't unbalanced then you won't think anyone is unbalanced.  I didn't complete mine before his nerf, but even at 11 covers he was stupid powerful.

Regarding your other point - look, if you play at the 5* level getting the new character is just plain not that difficult so long as you keep drawing from Latest.  Sure, Gambit was a perfect storm (a desirable 5* after two undesirable 5*s, so people had hoards,) but even so - I never hoarded and I champed mine about a week before Daredevil left Latest (so probably 7-8 weeks before Gambit does.)  It's not because he's ubiquitous - all desirable characters become ubiquitous, he's just plain broken.

I'll say this again - they're going to nerf him (again,) sooner or later.  It may take until next season, it may take months, it may even take a year, but he will be nerfed.  The only questions are how long until it happens, and how hard they're going to nerf him.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards

The problem this time is almost EVERYONE managed to get a gambit and he disrupts the "hierarchy" of what it means to be a "top tier" player in the game.  People don't like that gambit teams can challenge all there other teams. 
    This is simply not true, and the fact that you continue to say it just means you're not paying attention.  I have a strong 5* roster with characters over lvl 500.  My team loses all the time on defense, to a wide variety of teams, and always has.  Sure, my team loses to Gambit teams.  But I also lose to IM40 teams.  Or boosted 4*.  Players using boosted 3* beat my team, often.  If I float at any level I'll take 100-200+ points of hits every time.  This is normal, and it has nothing to do with Gambit at all.

Losing all of your matches on defense is a fact of life in MPQ and there has never been a way to stop it, until Gambit.  So no, I'm not upset that people can use Gambit to beat me, because they beat me before Gambit came along, using all kinds of crazy teams.  In fact, if you can't consistently beat lvl500 5* without using Gambit, that just means that you are a bad player or not imaginative enough to come up with a good team.

The problem is not that Gambit is too good overall, the problem is that he's too good on defense.  He breaks the promise the MPQ devs have silently made to us over the years, that we will never lose when we're on offense.