*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Options

Comments

• Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know, I'm not convinced Sentry is that bad. I still use him to bomb PvE nodes. Not too many 3* characters have his raw power. (of one million suns)

I totally get that he won't get playtime for established rosters due to lacking combo potential, sustainability, and consistent speed... but that's the lot of characters in the game anyway. Transitioners could do a lot worse.

Those calling for a buff... why? He's not really fun or interesting to play against. Do you really want to see more of them in PvP?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    I don't know, I'm not convinced Sentry is that bad. I still use him to bomb PvE nodes. Not too many 3* characters have his raw power. (of one million suns)

I totally get that he won't get playtime for established rosters due to lacking combo potential, sustainability, and consistent speed... but that's the lot of characters in the game anyway. Transitioners could do a lot worse.

Those calling for a buff... why? He's not really fun or interesting to play against. Do you really want to see more of them in PvP?

I want a buff because I"m a huge Sentry fanboy. I've loved him for a really long time now, so I want him to be a high-tier character in the game.

As is, I'm a transitioner and...I don't want him. Lol.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Goddess reigns supreme now, but there was a recent time where good ol' Bob was the king of the mountain.

Questions for the PvPers:
    - Is GT's health too much to sentry bomb?
    - Would Sentry be paired with GT on defense?
    - Would Hood be nerfed harder instead?
    - Would XF/GT still dominate the game?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually question if unnerfed Sentry would still be top tier currently with the shield cooldown. With all the self inflicted damage I used to get 2-3 matches then have to shield for an hour waiting for the kits to restore, then go again. If a match went badly due to bad board colors sometimes I'd only get 1 match off.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sentrybombing would be doable. It's not enough damage to one-off TGT, but it's close enough to count.

The big difference would be that Sentry would still have a hefty health pack toll, whereas TGT/XF is slower, but more dependable, so to speak.

Because of cooldowns, especially, I doubt he'd be played. If anything, he'd be used to challenge over-scaled PvE nodes.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Erm, don't shield cooldowns HELP the Sentry team? New shields make it so that you can only hop once every 3-8 hours, which for a Sentry team whose only weakness is health pack consumption, seems perfect since you can get in your 3 hops and shield. Remember that Sentry deals 10k team damage on turn 4 (2 if you're full boosting), so in the time that it takes for xor to finish one match, Sentry probably finishes 2-3. Sentry would still dominate the shield hopping meta at that point, although xor would be better for sustained pushing (much like how sexmagnet was my goto team back in the day).
  • Xforce/4thor wouldn't be played since sentry/hood was better. Just like why daken/patch isnt the best combo now.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. It's also fun to think about other possibilities - what if we still had pre-nerf Ragnarok, Spiderman, and Classic Magneto around? Would the end game PvP still be 4-thor and X-force, or would we see some unholy combinations of all of the above?

Along those lines, if you could take the most powerful/broken version of any character, and pair them with any released version of any other character, what team composition would you pick? If I recall correctly RoTP used to do 20% or so more damage before they balanced BP.

If that's not already a thread, it would be a good one in character discussion - a history of nerfs/buffs (and general consensus on its impact), as sort of a continually updated rise and fall of the most powerful.
  • Sentrybombing would be doable. It's not enough damage to one-off TGT, but it's close enough to count.

The big difference would be that Sentry would still have a hefty health pack toll, whereas TGT/XF is slower, but more dependable, so to speak.

Because of cooldowns, especially, I doubt he'd be played. If anything, he'd be used to challenge over-scaled PvE nodes.

He is a great partner for HT in PvE - covers both Red and Green and lets Torch do his thing in the background. And Sentry can take a ton of match damage.
  • Don't see why he wouldn't be great even with Thor around. Sacrifice deals single target damage as well as anything else so it's not like having Thor surviving the WR combo is a big deal, not to mention the WR cascade itself often deals a ton of damage. Sure I can see once in a while you have your Sacrifice popped after the cascade and that'd sort of suck but it's no different than any other kind of bad luck you may run into. Let's say Intimidation + WR does 12K, then you have about 4K left to go through. That's easy with Sacrifice, but even if you lose it somehow, a Supernova will be pretty close to getting that last 4K (assuming The Hood/featured contributes absolutely nothing), and with shield cooldowns you should be even less sensitive to self damage because you need to wait a long time to hop again already.
  • Sentrybombing would be doable. It's not enough damage to one-off TGT, but it's close enough to count.

You would have to double sac, just like against buffed hulk.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puce Moose wrote:
    This is an interesting topic. It's also fun to think about other possibilities - what if we still had pre-nerf Ragnarok, Spiderman, and Classic Magneto around? Would the end game PvP still be 4-thor and X-force, or would we see some unholy combinations of all of the above?

Along those lines, if you could take the most powerful/broken version of any character, and pair them with any released version of any other character, what team composition would you pick? If I recall correctly RoTP used to do 20% or so more damage before they balanced BP.

If that's not already a thread, it would be a good one in character discussion - a history of nerfs/buffs (and general consensus on its impact), as sort of a continually updated rise and fall of the most powerful.
    The lead team would be cmags FT for sure. Not even rags red+xforce would be able to keep up with that kind of stunlock and AP generation
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Puce Moose wrote:

The lead team would be cmags FT for sure. Not even rags red+xforce would be able to keep up with that kind of stunlock and AP generation
    But but but long cmag animation...
  • There are currently 4 teams you see above 800.

Xforce + Thor
    Xforce + Hood/Loki
    Thor + Hood/Loki
    Patch + Hulk

There are some incomplete teams that may throw out a 3 star like Captain America or something, but in general you'll see those 4 teams.

If Sentry were unnerfed, you'd see 5 teams.

That'd be the only real difference.

Sentry would still be a terrible climber. But quick kills will never not be beneficial, even at the expense of health.

Patch Hulk's prominence proves that.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If all things are the same but Sentry, then you would see more 3* players able to transition into 4* status because bombing would be a very quick and viable attack to rise in PvP. You would still be hindered by the Shield Cooldown so Sentry Bombing would be nowhere what it was, but it would be a very, very safe way for climbing PvP as you would have a small chance of being retaliated while unshielded.

Even if you have 270 XF and Thor and you had your featured PvP maxed as well, there are times where the game gets dragged out or you just don't get the matches and that's one thing Sentry/Hood was immune to was those bad boards, yes it could happen but was very minimal. I mean X-Force was in his full glory before Sentry's nerf and he was not played past 1000 in scoring because you needed the speed of Sentry/Hood.

Theere woudl be some PvP's where even Sentry has trouble, that being if you had a buffed Hulk, Sentry since you would have their 16K hitpoints plus Thor's, and X-Force but he would still probably win.

It's scary to say, but Sentry back would actually create more diversity in PvP, albeit it would just be Sentry and Hood coming back, but still, something different.

In short. Sentry/Hood would reopen the doors for transitioner's wanting to get 4*'s as obtaining Sentry/Hood is more affordable then paying for a 4*, however those with Thor and XForce, all Sentry would do is just provide another tool and save on health packs since you could use loaner PvP/Sentry/Hood and when done with health packs, you could switch to X-Force/Thor/PvP Feature.

I think the Shield Cooldowns would have contained Sentry bombing and would have actually nerfed Sentry as a side effect.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    There are currently 4 teams you see above 800.

Xforce + Thor
    Xforce + Hood/Loki
    Thor + Hood/Loki
    Patch + Hulk

There are some incomplete teams that may throw out a 3 star like Captain America or something, but in general you'll see those 4 teams.

If Sentry were unnerfed, you'd see 5 teams.

That'd be the only real difference.

Sentry would still be a terrible climber. But quick kills will never not be beneficial, even at the expense of health.

Patch Hulk's prominence proves that.

I think you forgot about

X-Force/Captain America
    X-Force/Magneto

The reason you see these guys is because they don't have a 4hor but Cap and Mags help you counter her since X-Force can steal red for them as well as they can benefit from the charged tiles. Captain America is actually one of the best direct counters to 4hor. Let her get blue, move your featured guy to get stunned, pick up the charged tiles and Cap can lock her down, or you cast Surgical after Power Surge and pick up a ton of red and go off on her, before I had her covered I used both of them regularly in high PvP because they did just that, they could negate her effects, you just had to keep an eye on her blue AP and make sure you could have your featured PvP take a match to get stunned.
  • If all the nerfs were rolled back, I think your team would just be Pre-Nerf Rag with X-Force Wolverine. If we're assuming the sort of boosting that made pre-nerf Ragnarok such a problem, then Thunderclapping into X-Force(s) would probably still get you where you're going. Let's not forget how fast and sustainable Robo-Thor used to be. You could throw broken CMAGS into position three to give you cheap blue outlets and complete your rainbow (as he used to be purple), though I think Thunderclap/X-Force (and the associated cascades) would still do most of your heavy lifting.
  • OooOOoOo, a "What if?" topic. I love these like I loved the Marvel series.

Makes me nostalgic about:

What if the Silver Surfer possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
    What if the Punisher had killed Daredevil?
    What if the Marvel Super Heroes had lost Atlantis Attacks?
    What if the Fantastic Four had lost the trial of Galactus?
    What if the Vision of the Avengers conquered the world?

Yes, Im slightly off topic....
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Moon 17 wrote:
    If all the nerfs were rolled back, I think your team would just be Pre-Nerf Rag with X-Force Wolverine. If we're assuming the sort of boosting that made pre-nerf Ragnarok such a problem, then Thunderclapping into X-Force(s) would probably still get you where you're going. Let's not forget how fast and sustainable Robo-Thor used to be. You could throw broken CMAGS into position three to give you cheap blue outlets and complete your rainbow (as he used to be purple), though I think Thunderclap/X-Force (and the associated cascades) would still do most of your heavy lifting.

Or true healing Spidey with 3 AP blue's. Although having C.Mags back to infiniteturn and a purple to kill would also be nice. I agree Rags/X-Force would be the go to duo, You probably wouldn't see 4hor as she would be way to slow compared to those two.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    OooOOoOo, a "What if?" topic. I love these like I loved the Marvel series.

Makes me nostalgic about:

What if the Silver Surfer possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
    What if the Punisher had killed Daredevil?
    What if the Marvel Super Heroes had lost Atlantis Attacks?
    What if the Fantastic Four had lost the trial of Galactus?
    What if the Vision of the Avengers conquered the world?

Yes, Im slightly off topic....

"What if I had any idea what any of this meant?" Would I appreciate this game more? Less? Would I keep matching tiles mindlessly for hours every day?

Makes you think....