World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Well. The Swiss defense has turned to cheese. The French attack is relentless and damn fun to watch.
  • Unknown
    Options
    France are looking really good. Even more surprising that they are doing all this without Ribery. As long as no one gets pissed and goes on strike, they could do some damage the rest of the way.

I was really hoping Honduras would win. icon_e_sad.gif

Italy has always been one of my favorite teams (I have many lol). They always play boring football, but when they have a good team, it's really fun to watch. Sadly, this is not one of those teams.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lionel Messi... guy is the best in the world at making something out of absolutely nothing.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Completely missed the game - did Ghana just play exceptionally well against Germany, or are the Germans mortal after all?

As a US supporter, was hoping for a Germany win, but I guess we'll just have to go out and beat Portugal and advance icon_e_smile.gif.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Completely missed the game - did Ghana just play exceptionally well against Germany, or are the Germans mortal after all?

As a US supporter, was hoping for a Germany win, but I guess we'll just have to go out and beat Portugal and advance icon_e_smile.gif.

I didn't see it either, but that was the worst possible result for the US in terms of getting any help in progressing.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Ghana ran with the Germans today. Germany was off their pace in the first half and playing rather slow, partly due to Ghana of course. The first half was rather uneventful as well...the second half was at a quicker pace and the game opened up as a result. All the goals were scored from the 50th to 71st minute or so. Gyan's goal was an excellent strike, he is a fun one to watch. Klose subbed in around the 70th minute I think and scored his goal almost immediately. He impacted the game until the final whistle. Muller and a Ghanaian defender collided at the end of the game, Muller was cut open pretty badly. Hopefully he and the defender are alright for their next games.

Well, all the US has to do is win vs Portugal and they are on to the second round. Easier said than done, but I like their chances.
  • Unknown
    Options
    There are all kinds of worrisome scenarios now, but you're right, all they have to do is win. We will see where things stand tomorrow!

On a recurring note, the officiating sucks. Bosnia got robbed.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think ref bias is quite real in this world cup
  • Unknown
    Options
    kensterr wrote:
    I think ref bias is quite real in this world cup
    Worst part? the ref hesitated before he raised the flag.

As for Germany : Ghana, I think the climate takes it's toll.

Look at all those players from South America and Africa - do they sweat? Yeah. But they don't have their shirts totally wet, what we can observe in other teams. Humidity at 80+ % isn't something the Europeans (example) are used to.

Never been in such climate, but people describe it like this: "once You step from the plane, You feel like entering a hot sauna."

---

Can't wait till tomorrow, I hope US will kick Portugal's butts. If Poland did it, everyone can.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Watched yesterday's games, pretty disappointed with Argentina's performance.

As for Germany vs Ghana, the score should have been something like at least 3:0 if they had used their chances properly. I agree, the German team was off their usual pace. As it happens, this proves the rule that Germany's second game during the group phase is ****. icon_e_wink.gif
  • kensterr
    Options
    well i live in a hot climate country much like Brazil and the moment I step out of any air-cond room I'll start to sweat.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    kensterr wrote:
    well i live in a hot climate country much like Brazil and the moment I step out of any air-cond room I'll start to sweat.

It's like this in the southern states in the summer as well. When I lived in the south I remember going outside at 8 am and sweating immediately. The heat sucks the air out of you. I've played in high humidity and high temperatures, and it is not fun. You can't keep enough fluids in you and your feet are literally on fire. If you're going to make a run late in a game it better damn well be worth it.

The Latin and South American teams definitely have an advantage there...and to some extent the United States as well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Epic facepalm.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That one is tough to swallow when you're the team being drawn. When you're on the other end of the tie, it's pandemonium.

Credit to the US for playing extremely well after Carlton Banks scored early. I'm not sure 5 minutes ET was warranted, but whatever, you gotta play to the whistle.

I guess the scenarios are basically, get any points and you're through. If we lose to Germany, we have to hope that:

1. Portugal and Ghana draw
    2. Portugal win and do not erase the current 5 goal spread.
    3. Ghana win, and this one presents all kinds of problems. I think if they end up level on goal differential and goals scored, the US will go through by virtue of their win over Ghana. But this is only true if the US lose 1-0 and Ghana win 1-0. I'm worried Ghana actually will pull this off.

Let's hope Juergy and his protege have an "understanding."
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    I am at a loss for words at the moment. What a game, we had it.

Cue the Jurgen and Joachim arranged tie.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't understand the use of country names in their own language. The commentator we get here in NZ (the land of rugby, not the land of football referees and linesmen) insists on saying Côte d'Ivoire, but won't say Deutschland. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the match for me. I was so upset that I put my foot through the TV and I will be sending him the bill.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Regalis wrote:
    I'm worried Ghana actually will pull this off.
    I don't think this nation will do it. From what I experienced, they play to the max.
  • kensterr
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I don't understand the use of country names in their own language. The commentator we get here in NZ (the land of rugby, not the land of football referees and linesmen) insists on saying Côte d'Ivoire, but won't say Deutschland. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the match for me. I was so upset that I put my foot through the TV and I will be sending him the bill.
    That's the name that FIFA asked all TV stations with broadcast rights to use. There wasn't any option for the commentators.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kensterr wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    That's the name that FIFA asked all TV stations with broadcast rights to use. There wasn't any option for the commentators.
    Then Poland disobeyed. icon_e_wink.gif
  • kensterr
    Options
    Then Poland is a FIFA rebel. icon_e_smile.gif