World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I handed my manager that letter this morning before I left for the day.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I handed my manager that letter this morning before I left for the day.
    pbrownusmc wrote:
    Did anyone else use Jurgen Klinsmanns' letter to get off work today?? If not, here is the link to it... I used it and my boss and I are both taking long lunches to watch the game.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1844294.1403743785!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/klinsmannletter26s-1-web.jpg

fry.PNG?1307468855
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, we'll take it. It was very nervy when Germany went up and Ghana equalized minutes later.

Michael Bradley - take a seat. We can let Landy... oh.

Respect for Concacaf!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Very sloppy game over all. Considering we will probably be facing Belgum on Tuesday, we need to fix that. Happy we made it, but nervous about the next game.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Regalis wrote:
    Well, we'll take it. It was very nervy when Germany went up and Ghana equalized minutes later.

Michael Bradley - take a seat. We can let Landy... oh.

Respect for Concacaf!

If Altidore can go against Belgium I'd put Dempsey in Bradley's spot. That is three poor games in a row from him. His play cannot be counted on in the knockout stages as he is currently a huge liability on the pitch.

I will never say this again, thank you Christiano Ronaldo.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Regalis wrote:
    Wasn't his last ban 10 games? How is this less??
    It's more than the previous but I just it should have been even worse, given that it's his 3rd time and on the biggest stage for soccer.
    I was thinking more of at least 6 months to a year.
    pbrownusmc wrote:
    Did anyone else use Jurgen Klinsmanns' letter to get off work today?? If not, here is the link to it... I used it and my boss and I are both taking long lunches to watch the game.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1844294.1403743785!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/klinsmannletter26s-1-web.jpg
    Wow, that's so nice! Congrats to US by the way, Belgium will be! Many good matches to look foward to in the 2nd round!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Two great games today. Brazil are very vulnerable but I think playing on their home soil is giving them a boost. They got robbed many times today by Chile's keeper and I really thought they were out in the 119th but the shot hit the bar. What a **** way to lose the game in the end though for Chile.

Colombia: I think these guys have a better shot to win than Belgium does as far as "dark horses" go. I think they will get Brazil if both teams play the same way they did today. Imagine how scary they could be with Falcao.

James' first goal = GOTT for me. Shades of Maxi in 2006. Speaking of 2006, I hope Pekerman doesn't **** up Columbia's world cup the way he did Argentina's that year.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Tim Cahill's is still number one for me. James's volley is a close second.

Colombia is going to beat Brazil. That is all.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tim Cahill's is still number one for me. James's volley is a close second.

Colombia is going to beat Brazil. That is all.

To me it's the third best one, till now the second best goal still is Van Persie head kick against Spain. The first one of course Cahill.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well done Costa Rica! I thought it was going to be 2/2 in last minute Concacaf heartbreaks.

Did not think Mexico deserved to lose. I'm tired of all of these Euro divers. Seriously, does anyone outside of UEFA and Brazil dive?
  • Unknown
    Options
    **** referee, robben has been diving all game long and gets away with it? and he got a penalty in stoppage time?! the heat must be getting to you and you need more than two cooling breaks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I feel bad for Mexico, would've loved to see them qualify. Ochoa has been the best goalkeeper in the WC so far for me.
    The early penalty claim should've been given for Mexico (by Vlaar on Herrera) and it came back to haunt them.
    Robben had been "trying" to get a penalty so many times, he should've been carded! Quite frustrating, really icon_evil.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's so frustrating to watch Mexico go out like that. they played like a champ only to be outdone by the referee.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can say that the referees are consistently inconsistent. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That was the best Portuguese referee, can you imagine the average... They are awful!
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Where to begin..lots to touch on...

Netherlands vs. Mexico - First, I must make it clear that I despise Robben. He is an immensely talented player, and the biggest flop since Battleship. BUT, Mexico had a PK coming against them. Three times they got after Robben in the box, it was inevitable for him to draw a call. The ref should have called the foul at the end of the first half, but he was horribly out of position.

Costa Rica vs Greece - the most boring game of the tournament so far. I have nothing to say other than Pura Vida!

France vs Nigeria - Benzema struggled today and that is not good for the French moving forward. Nigeria just gave up after Pogba's stupid hair scored.

As for the rest of the games, Germany best not take Algeria lightly or they will be going home stunned. Klose breaks the record today as well. The reports are that Jozy is ready to go...one more thing for a beat up Belgium team to worry about.

Lastly if you're not watching the Men in Blazers, you should be. They are quite comical.
  • danikalil
    danikalil Posts: 502
    Options
    R57 just came in, and Miller probably updated...this "I slipped and fell on my way to the ball" has the MPQ touch, with this whole thing of changing one's powers right in the middle of the tournament.

I think Netherland is game for the finals. So far, my favourite rookie is James Rodríguez.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    I just love saying Hi-mez Rodriguez!!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    After nearly 24 hours, I still feel gutted. Not because the USA were the better team or even deserved to win, but because of how they lost. First the bads: you can't play defense for 80 minutes and try to get all of your chances on a counter attack. They were all so predictable - push Beasley or Yedlin forward and let them cross to no one in particular. This team badly needs a Riquelme/Pirlo/et al type of player. One that can control the midfield and make plays. Bradley and Beckerman just aren't to that quality. They should have played the last 40 minutes the same way they played the last extra time session. They just seemed to be more of the mindset of playing not to lose, instead of going for the win. The talking heads were right. We were outplayed in 3 of the 4 games and the one we were the better side we drew.

I had a really bad feeling when Romelu entered. He's a player that I've watched with great interest (since I discovered his awesomeness in FIFA 12) that just can't seem to find that breakthrough. He was really due for something good after basically being non-existent so far. It took all of what, 2 minutes to punch the US back physically and let that ginger finally get one past. Then he goes on to get the winner. Credit to the US for not throwing in the towel like most teams would have after that. They actually should have drawn level on that set piece near the end.

Wondo: I refuse to hate on you because I was happy to see you make the team. That sitter is going to haunt you.

We also need a lethal striker. Dempsey is more of a supporting forward and Wondo is a Pippo Inzaghi clone. Jozy - has the physical tools but is so inconsistent and we never got to see what he could do this tourney.

The goods: We didn't really take a step forward from 2010, but we didn't take a step back either (ie: 98 and 2006 after advancing). Jurgey seems to have stabilized things for now and I hope we can continue to build forward from here. We're going to be turning over some of our mainstays over the next 4 years and it will be interesting to see who we have/can develop. Julian Green, what an entrance. It's hard to judge you based on 15 minutes of play but whatever lightning we may have caught I hope we can keep it and not see you fizzle out like Freddy did.

Tim Howard, "hooray for you, you're a horse's ****!" Bravo! What a performance. You singlehandedly kept the US from getting embarrassed and you are a legend amongst US footballers. The US has historically held on to aging goalkeepers, but I don't know if we will see you in another.

Thanks for playing hard and with pride this tourney! You lasted longer than 23 other teams icon_e_biggrin.gif

I don't recall a WC in recent times where each of the round of 16 games were so tightly contested. There are some really sweet matchups now. I hope Costa Rica can give Holland a game.

Back to the MLS: Seaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattle! Sooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!