World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kensterr wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I don't understand the use of country names in their own language. The commentator we get here in NZ (the land of rugby, not the land of football referees and linesmen) insists on saying Côte d'Ivoire, but won't say Deutschland. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the match for me. I was so upset that I put my foot through the TV and I will be sending him the bill.
    That's the name that FIFA asked all TV stations with broadcast rights to use. There wasn't any option for the commentators.

Ah, I guess it will be the same reason why he can't say "World Cup", he has to say "FIFA World Cup".

It's been a pretty good competition so far, lots of strange results, the big boys not getting everything their own way *cough* Spain, England, almost Portugal *cough*. I'm kind of hoping for an African winner, but wouldn't be surprised if it's Germany again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    kensterr wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I don't understand the use of country names in their own language. The commentator we get here in NZ (the land of rugby, not the land of football referees and linesmen) insists on saying Côte d'Ivoire, but won't say Deutschland. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the match for me. I was so upset that I put my foot through the TV and I will be sending him the bill.
    That's the name that FIFA asked all TV stations with broadcast rights to use. There wasn't any option for the commentators.

Ah, I guess it will be the same reason why he can't say "World Cup", he has to say "FIFA World Cup".

It's been a pretty good competition so far, lots of strange results, the big boys not getting everything their own way *cough* Spain, England, almost Portugal *cough*. I'm kind of hoping for an African winner, but wouldn't be surprised if it's Germany again.
    AFAIK it will be Germany.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    Oh how the great have fallen...

Spain, then England. I haven't seen Italy's first game, but this one - it's not that they play bad, it's their defence - Italy was famous for their defence. And now it looks like it's no more.

Italy traditionally sucks at this phase then grow up. Probably most blatant example in '82 going ahead from 2nd round instead of Brazil and Argentina, then winning the whole thing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    I would be VERY surprised if Portugal get through. Disappointing World Cup for Ronaldo...
    I have been an England supporter since young but they are just a disappointment every time icon_neutral.gif

From current form it would seem that France or Holland are the favourites but in soccer anything can happen.
    I would like to see Italy win it, out of the remaining teams. Hoping for more great goals and exciting matches!
  • Unknown
    Options
    The best play this far is Hollands, though they have tendency to fizzle midway.

Many teams are more than disappointing, including Brazil, Argentina, Russia and obviously Portugal, Spain and England...
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm watching both matches - one in TV, one on PC icon_e_smile.gif.

I was all for Croatia, but after 20-30mins I changed my mind icon_e_wink.gif.

I like the pace of this match, the tension, the commitment. I think the best match during this WC. Some may say Ghana vs Germany was great, and they are right. But Ghana vs Germany was great only in the second half. First half was boring like the MPQ dialogues.
  • Unknown
    Options
    How is the place counted?

Right now Mexico has 4goals total, 0 lost. Brasil 6 total, 2 lost.

They have same amount of points (7), there was a draw in the match between them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    How is the place counted?

Right now Mexico has 4goals total, 0 lost. Brasil 6 total, 2 lost.

They have same amount of points (7), there was a draw in the match between them.

Lol nevermind, 4:1 for Brasil.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    I'm watching both matches - one in TV, one on PC icon_e_smile.gif.

I was all for Croatia, but after 20-30mins I changed my mind icon_e_wink.gif.

I like the pace of this match, the tension, the commitment. I think the best match during this WC. Some may say Ghana vs Germany was great, and they are right. But Ghana vs Germany was great only in the second half. First half was boring like the MPQ dialogues.
    I was doing the same thing (and grinding Heroic Juggs)! Concentrating more on Mex-Cro though...
    Mexico's matches are all pretty exciting and this one didn't let me down too. It was nice to see both teams give it their all.
    Towards the end it was still great as I think Mexico was trying to beat Brazil on goal difference so the pace was fast throughout.

BTW, if both teams are tied on points and goal difference the next tiebreaker is number of goals scored.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Chile, Costa Rica, and France have been the surprises of the tournament for me so far. Brazil has improved each game but if they run into another defensively sound team they will be in trouble. Mexico gave them all they could handle, yes Ochoa bailed them out a few times as well.

Argentina and Belgium both look very beatable...if Messi has an off game or is shut down, they are toast. Belgium just needs to get their heads out of their **** and cut out the slow starts.

The Dutch are looking rather impressive so far, but they're the tournament darlings for a reason...0-3 in the final.

Portugal is a terrible TEAM, emphasis on team...they play 10 guys and Ronaldo. Not surprisingly, he looks better when his Real Madrid mates are out there. England was poor this year, Gerrard has been completely useless through two games. A full youth movement is in order for the English, there are some great youngsters there. Though I am a City fan, Joe Hart is a terrible keeper. As long as he is the keeper, England will go nowhere.

I am taking a half day on Thursday for the US Germany game. I have no feel for that game at the moment, all I want to see is Michael Bradley benched. His play has been inexcusable. As for Ghana and Portugal, I am rooting for a 1-0 or 2-1 Portugal win.

I think that's everything I wanted to touch on. Go USA!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Argentina and Belgium both look very beatable...if Messi has an off game or is shut down, they are toast. Belgium just needs to get their heads out of their **** and cut out the slow starts.

I hate getting way ahead of things, but this is precisely who the US stand to play should they not beat Germany but still progress...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Watched the Holland game. I must say Robben got to be the most dangerous player in the tournament at the moment. Every time he touches the ball, he looks like he is going to do something dangerous, dribble, shoot, pass, dives... seriously he does them all.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Regalis wrote:

I hate getting way ahead of things, but this is precisely who the US stand to play should they not beat Germany but still progress...

Oh I know...I'm a nut, I've looked at all of the scenarios. And I would love to see the US play Belgium.

I've also spent more time on this thread than in the actual MPQ game recently. Probably because this is actually enjoyable and not a study in endless frustration. I love the sport and I love being able to talk about it on here. So thank you everyone, you all rock!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Regalis wrote:

Oh I know...I'm a nut, I've looked at all of the scenarios. And I would love to see the US play Belgium.

I've also spent more time on this thread than in the actual MPQ game recently. Probably because this is actually enjoyable and not a study in endless frustration. I love the sport and I love being able to talk about it on here. So thank you everyone, you all rock!
    USA - Belgium would be a great match. I think the better Belgian players so far are from Man City; would be interesting for you as a fan!
    I hope they give Januzaj a chance to play though, he might give them the pace they need (Man Utd fan here).

Looking forward to Mexico - Netherlands, would be an electrifying match. Robben is just in top form now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    tough to be a Man Utd fan nowadays. maybe next season will be a good time for a rebuild season. get the old guards out and give the youngster plays. Januzaj does look like a unique talent, but goes to ground too quickly.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:
    tough to be a Man Utd fan nowadays. maybe next season will be a good time for a rebuild season. get the old guards out and give the youngster plays. Januzaj does look like a unique talent, but goes to ground too quickly.
    If SAF was still around I foresee that Januzaj will end up in Real Madrid, judging from CR7's early days of going to ground too quickly. We all know how he turned out. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:
    Yeah, tell me about it. My friends who support other clubs like to rub it in. Hopefully Van Gaal will help though it will take time.
    Agreed on the diving portion, it always irks me. Who teaches them to do that? It really kills the game. Look at Ashley Young icon_evil.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Barcelona and Brazil players do it a lot but not many people condemn those players. As a matter of fact FIFA seems to think that those players are the best in the world!
  • Unknown
    Options
    PaltryBruisedCur.gif

I'm in love icon_eek.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sadly, yes. What's more at the current World Cup, bad refereeing has "promoted" diving with penalties given and all that.
    Many times the ref does not dare to book a player for diving too.