World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• danikalil
    danikalil Posts: 502
    Options
    Calm down, Regalis! USA and Belgium was, in our opinion, the best Cup match so far. Unfortunately, someone had to go home, but both played brilliantly. As we said before, Belgium is a team to watch for.

We were much more impressed by your team than by ours. Brasil isn't playing well at all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The second round has been a "strange" one for me, it's the first time that all group winners advance.
    I've been cheering for the underdogs mainly in the second round. Not as I like an upset but rather I think they play with more heart (like Mexico or Chile).
    However, each time the group winner conjures a moment of magic or a stroke of luck and they advance. Perhaps that's what is needed to go through.

Can't wait for the next round to start!
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But you guys realise one thing right - German coaches are quite successful in this WC. Give them more time with the team or help set up proper infrastructure and you'll have really world class players in around 5 years time.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I could sit here and type a dissertation on the US Belgium game. But it's in the past now. I will say this, I am damn proud of how the USMNT performed in this World Cup. There is still a ways to go, but I like what JK is bringing to the program. There are plenty of players coming up through the system that has me looking forward to the next four years. I do know that I never want to see Michael Bradley in a US kit ever again. I do not care what anyone has to say about his past success. Against top teams he was terrible and a detriment to the team.

As for the final eight teams...Tomorrow I believe that Colombia will shock Brazil...I do worry about the referee influencing the game in Brazil's favor though. (Tin Foil hat style) I also think that France's speed is going to put the German defense in a tough spot. This is the game where lacking outside backs will really hurt them.

As for Saturday's games...as a Manchester City fan I am completely torn in regards to Argentina vs. Belgium. I wish that game could be played forever.

And CONCACAF Thunder! I don't expect Costa Rica to beat the Dutch, but I am rooting for them. Pura Vida!!
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    That was not the game I expected France to play. Maybe the heat affected them today? Regardless, the German machine keeps on rolling, but their effort today cannot be replicated vs Brazil or Colombia if they want to move on to the World Cup Final.

I am very excited for this next game today.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Snikrot wrote:
    Lol Silva misses next match! icon_lol.gif

Go Germany!

And now Neymar is out with a fractured vertebrae. Brazil is finished.
  • kensterr
    Options
    This is for Lao

FsOEUms.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    Snikrot wrote:
    I heard from my friends that Germany plays very ugly, "wooden" football. What do You think? I really enjoy watching them, they are so ideal and for me in each and every move there's so much tactic involved - they are like chess figures in the hands of a very skilled chess player. Always in the right position.
    I have friends who say the same thing too. I guess they like "free flowing and fast" football more, which definitely is not Germany's style.
    I like watching them play too especially against faster teams, watching how they use their tactics to counter other teams.
    Hummels and Neuer are just superb at the back.

It's such a big blow to Brazil to lose Neymar. I was hoping all teams face each other at full strength.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Everybody wants tiki taka and total football. Not every team can play like that of course. I don't have a problem with the German style of play, and personally I find them to be quite unique. Their play may be wooden, but they can almost seemlesy transition from one style of play to another. They often don't have to resort to tiki taka or a fast paced attacking style as they usually control the flow of the game.

Still, in this World Cup their back four are a huge liability.

Prediction time!! Who do you have advancing to the final? I know that Brazil will give it their all, and the refs might even help them. But I don't think it will be enough to get past Germany...they'll probably score on some sort of crossed ball, that's their poison.

And go Argentina! No Di Maria and no Aguero, but Messi is still running amok and Higuain might have finally arrived at the World Cup. I hope they win as I am pretty much tired of Robben's Cristiano Ronaldo impression. And I don't like what the Dutch keeper did during the penalties. That's a yellow card plain and simple.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    It may have not been intimidating but it is still Unsporting Behavior. I have to watch these games twice almost, once as a fan and once as an referee. Frustrations with the officiating have ruined some of the games for the fan in me. If that makes sense.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What a smash by Germany! Didn't see that one coming! Brazil are just like my team (Portugal) a group of good players but not a "team".
  • Unknown
    Options
    I couldn't believe what was happening. At first, Germany scored and I was like "wow".
    Then they scored. And scored. And scored. icon_eek.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    5 goals in the first half, and they score those 5 in 19 minutes...just unbelievable.

I expected the Germans to win, but not like that.
  • kensterr
    Options
    I think the Brazilian players were samba-ing at the wrong time. I just watched the highlights and their defense was horrible!
  • Unknown
    Options
    What a shocking game! I was watching the first half at work with one eye on the screen and the other on the game and during that blitz I kept wondering if I was just seeing replays! I don't know how you can get embarrassed so badly on your home soil, in a world cup no less. I don't even know how to describe or rationalize their performance yesterday. We will see if they can show up for the third place game.

Argentina - Netherlands. I'm so excited to watch this game. Argentina has always been my #2 favorite team behind Italy (and by default the US). However, I've always held the Netherlands in high regard as well (just can't stand Robben). I remember this matchup from 98 when the Dutch were absolutely stacked. Bergkamp scoring that legendary goal... corralling that long ball with the softest of touches, turning around a world class center back in Ayala, and blasting the volley home in the dying minutes.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    Regalis - I feel the same way about the Dutch. Always loved the, great teams, but Robben is such a piece of ****. I was really hoping that his Penalty would get saved today, just because.

Argentina vs Germany is going to be an excellent final. Both teams counter attack very well and honestly, I think Argentina has been playing better defense. The Germans have shored the outside up a little bit by moving Lahm out to left back. I'm looking forward to an exciting final, I just hope it doesn't go to kicks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Time to remember Gary Lineker :
    Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I could do with a celebrating smiley right now. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    I could do with a celebrating smiley right now. icon_mrgreen.gif
    Me too. I felt Argentina played better in the finals but Germany deserved it; they were great throughout the tournament.
    I was rooting for Germany and my heart was beating so fast when Messi took the last free kick in extra time!
    It was like a script made for him to be a hero!

Congratulations to Germany!

e1123997d0e924dd90c00a7005be195d_crop_north.jpeg?w=630&h=420&q=75
  • Unknown
    Options
    That was a long time coming for Germany. They've been at the finish line for the past several tourney's (including Euro's) and just couldn't cross it. I think they will feel more relieved now than anything, but good on them. It's hard to argue they shouldn't have won it. In fact I think the top 3 finishers were about right in terms of the 3 strongest teams. Maybe Colombia would have an argument.

This was a game where Argentina certainly would have loved to have had Di Maria.

Messi: I like the guy. I really do. He's won so much at Barca and even individually. He just isn't going to ever shake the whole Maradona thing. It's not fair to him. I'd love to see him win a WC, but I don't see it happening in 4 years, and after that, he will be the old-timer. I think this was his best shot. I'm shocked he actually missed that shot that went just wide of the far post. I'm equally shocked that he tried to score on Neuer on that last kick from that angle and distance. And to complete the shock trifecta, I don't know why he won the golden ball.

Dumbest Move: Subbing Palacio for Higuain. Look, Higuain missed a glorious chance and was unnecessarily offside on his goal. But he is always a big time threat. Palacio on the other hand is just garbage. If Tevez had half a mind he would have been the viable choice here, but since he screwed the pooch, Argentina went with this guy. He was ok back in his Boca days, but now he's just a filler. Why he came in was beyond me. His mistouch on that opportunity he was gifted pretty much sums him up for me. Plus I hate Inter, so...

Thanks for this thread, although now that it's over and I've quit MPQ, I don't have a reason to come back icon_e_sad.gif

Cheers!