*** Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) ***

Comments

• ShavedDome wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks this rag is totally over powered?

I know I am fairly new but no matter what combo I use against him I get toasted. I end up just just skipping all the rounds that use him so will never place well.

Hate whining but frustrated to the point of saying screw it. Really don't want to cause I love the game man.

Suggestions?

ShavedDome

I start with +3 all and +3 red/yellow, red with Thor off the bat, usually leads to yellow, he's dead or half dead. Rinse and repeat. He hits often but not that hard, and I rarely see high level ones. High level ones I skip icon_lol.gif I've never not placed well because of any character, let alone Rags. Storm was my biggest deterrent for a while just because she would waste a Thor's red instantly.
  • I think the only real problem is the 200% hp buff lightning rounds. Maybe since hp is also now buffed a 160% would be more appropriate than a 200%?
  • As long as he isn't making cascades, he's not that awful. His damage from abilities alone isn't massive, particularly since the ai wont spam a power. Deny red if you can. Take someone along that uses green and keep the board free of green tiles as much as you can. And obviously burn him down as quick as possible. Godlike power is a crapshoot. Most of the time it won't do much, but it can make a big cascade. If you have someone with a nice stun, that's always a good option.
  • Spidey or mags takes rag down easily
  • Rag and the 200% buffed Rag are totally different entities to deal with. Rag without the buff is merely a slightly superior Thor, at least when they're of more or less comparable level. Rag with the 200% buff can be scary, since at level 85 his red (which with 5 covers only costs 2 AP) does around 1400 damage.

If you're fighting the 200% buffed Rag, you need to be careful to deny red, and/or stunlock him as you're burning him down.
  • either dispose of a lot of time and pray that u recruit rag/some other good 3 star to deal with rag or shell big bucks and pray u pull something good. then grind or spend money to get the 130k or so ISO needed to max him while also praying u pull more of his colors (or pay for them) since u def wont be winning them in lightning round placings.

until then u can forget about placing anywhere decent in villain lightning rounds unless u happen to luck out and get an easy bracket, dont get smashed by veterans/wallet warriors at the end, and find easy(nonrag) matchups on the way to top 100
  • Vivisera wrote:
    Rag and the 200% buffed Rag are totally different entities to deal with. Rag without the buff is merely a slightly superior Thor, at least when they're of more or less comparable level. Rag with the 200% buff can be scary, since at level 85 his red (which with 5 covers only costs 2 AP) does around 1400 damage.

If you're fighting the 200% buffed Rag, you need to be careful to deny red, and/or stunlock him as you're burning him down.

True. I assumed since this post was made on a Saturday that the OP had run up against him in the Hunt event, but I could be mistaken.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have a high level Ragnarok, mine has 5 green covers and 2 reds, only bothered to get him to level 40, I have no problems with keeping Ragnarok as he is because I have a level 100+ Magneto Classic that counters him quite nicely.

I don't want Rag nerfed cause if he does get nerfed people would then ask to have Magneto Classic nerfed as well

I rather they tweak other characters a bit to bring them up to his level or just under it, specially the 4* characters
  • I have a high level rag now and spent 2500 HP so i definitely don't want him nerfed now icon_e_smile.gif

but if he does get nerfed (he probably should a little bit) i just hope they don't go overboard
  • Rag is a 3*, so he is gonna be good. Spidey and Mag can take him down pretty easily at a high level. Both of them are also 3* characters. Yea he's powerful but not impossible and he's not gonna be easily beaten by any 1* or 2* characters. Elite players have him, and that's a main reason why they are elite.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Title says most of it. Couldn't they have at least buffed anyone other than Ragnarok to give players who don't have Ragnarok a chance? Well, I guess grats on your Spiderman everyone who has a decent Ragnarok...
  • Even though i didn't manage to own his red, and i would love to have him as well.

But He doesn't look scary once he's not bluffed. I will be happy to meet him when he's pair w/ Thor + 3rd party.

Reason? His thunderclap doesn't really hurt too much and isn't scary compare to Thor - Good thing is that IA make it a way that whenever there's 2 red ap, he's will be using it.

So what I did i will target the other team members that need his green ap (Storm / Black widow (Grey), etc) till he's left along.

However definitely need tanker / healer (2* Wolve) to deal with him will be ideal.

He's doesn't really look scary once he's not 200% buffed, maybe due to the lighting round event - everyone is fear to face him. (I am one of them as well, but learn to accept and try to deal with him strategically)
  • Has anyone ever thought to change their lineup depending on the opponent? Venom and spider man are particularly effective against ragnarok and other spider man opponents.

With spider man buffed with spider sense, marvel now magneto is a welcome addition. I can use purple matches to make shield tiles and generate blue ap. Venom isn't too weak. Magneto red doesn't suck. It does decent damage for the AP. At 3/5 it costs 11 red but can return up to 8 AP (surrounding tiles) after 1 turn. It deals a good chunk of damage.

Just because people have difficulty with their A team and B team, doesn't mean there aren't more effective teams. In fact other teams are overlooked because people focus too much on Storm and Ragnarok.
  • running punisher to destroy rag's is one way to go too.

which i will be doing if i get a maxed out punisher quickly.
  • Here's a thought: what if his ability stayed the same cost, did the same damage, added the same number of green tiles, but added them all at the start of the opponent's turn?

I like this idea because a) it's a sideways nerf, not a strict decrease; b) it makes his power similar to Thor's, but play very differently, which has a thematic appeal; c) it would make playing Ragnarok much more interesting. You'd have to decide: is it worth spamming a bunch of red now to down my opponent, but giving him a board full of greens to match crits and cascade with? Or should I fire them off one at a time to whittle the opponent down over time -- and if I do that, now I'm opening myself up to taking damage.

Seems like Ragnarok would still be very powerful, just not able to win the game on turn 1.
  • forgrim wrote:
    running punisher to destroy rag's is one way to go too.

Why do you see punisher as a counter to Ragnarok?
  • Here's a thought: what if his ability stayed the same cost, did the same damage, added the same number of green tiles, but added them all at the start of the opponent's turn?

I like this idea because a) it's a sideways nerf, not a strict decrease; b) it makes his power similar to Thor's, but play very differently, which has a thematic appeal; c) it would make playing Ragnarok much more interesting. You'd have to decide: is it worth spamming a bunch of red now to down my opponent, but giving him a board full of greens to match crits and cascade with? Or should I fire them off one at a time to whittle the opponent down over time -- and if I do that, now I'm opening myself up to taking damage.

Seems like Ragnarok would still be very powerful, just not able to win the game on turn 1.

Then how would match 5's work? If I fire off a bunch red, make my match, it switches to the other team, then a bunch of green tiles spawn with match 5's and crit's cascading down, who gets the damage? Whose turn is it? Also, what if I make a match 5 on my turn and get to go again? Do the green tiles spawn? What if the other team is stunned?

I don't mean to tear apart your idea. I think an ability that opens you up to attack like that would be cool. I just don't know if it works for Rag. I pictured this sort of disadvantage as generating AP for the other team rather than tiles.
  • Misguided wrote:
    forgrim wrote:

Because the punisher is strong against tanks. With a level 5 red, he can down anyone with 40% or les health. That makes it better against opponents with high total health.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    Then how would match 5's work? If I fire off a bunch red, make my match, it switches to the other team, then a bunch of green tiles spawn with match 5's and crit's cascading down, who gets the damage? Whose turn is it? Also, what if I make a match 5 on my turn and get to go again? Do the green tiles spawn? What if the other team is stunned?

I don't mean to tear apart your idea. I think an ability that opens you up to attack like that would be cool. I just don't know if it works for Rag. I pictured this sort of disadvantage as generating AP for the other team rather than tiles.

Green tiles spawn at the start of the opponent's turn and match as normal. So if Player A spams red and makes a match that ends their turn, the tiles spawn, Player B gets any green AP from the matches, and Player A takes damage as though Player B matched them (i.e., using whatever tile damage is highest on their team). Any unmatched crits stay on the board for Player B.

If you make a match-5, the opponent's turn hasn't started yet. No green tiles.

Stun is a little bit trickier. I'm tempted to say that if the entire team is stunned, the green tiles do spawn, as it's technically their turn, and they would get any greens that fall into matching positions and doing damage, just as attack tiles do damage even if the entire team is stunned. However, I'm not sure if that would solve the problem as effectively (you could maybe start a fight by Spidey-stunning all three opponents, firing off 3 red, and hoping there's enough green left over for you to chain into CStorm, rinse repeat), so I think the tiles only spawn when the opponent is able to move.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    forgrim wrote:

Because the punisher is strong against tanks. With a level 5 red, he can down anyone with 40% or les health. That makes it better against opponents with high total health.
    On the flip side, to get him down to 40%, Punisher relies on strike/attack tiles and Rags can clear those right out. Remember, you need to do 4000 damage first to get the 3000 damage from his red.

In the end, Punisher's red is still just direct damage (~3k for 8 AP) and while it's a very good one, Mags still has the better one IMO.

I see Punisher more as a counter to high lvl PVE mobs and boosted characters.