What if any of these 20 buck 1 stars worth it if any

Options

Comments

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    edited 18 January 2024, 01:44
    Options

There are plenty of posts on Reddit with some frequency of people sharing their PvP got a lot harder and they don’t like it. This predates the 1char5 stores though

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@DrClever said:
    However I'm not sure that someone who was blitzing PvE would be on a forum the game doesn't tell you exists moaning about PvP suddenly having changed for the worse given that it's already not great at that stage of things.

You can access the forums in game.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,967 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Zarqa said:
    There are plenty of posts on Reddit with some frequency of people sharing their PvP got a lot harder and they don’t like it. This predates the 1char5 stores though

"Got harder" is what I would expect. That is not even close to the same as "locked out, cannot win a single match ever."

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    edited 18 January 2024, 08:58
    Options

@bigjojo04 said:

@DrClever said:
    However I'm not sure that someone who was blitzing PvE would be on a forum the game doesn't tell you exists moaning about PvP suddenly having changed for the worse given that it's already not great at that stage of things.

You can access the forums in game.

Embarrassed. Although the fact that I didn't know this despite playing since launch kind of reinforces my point. It's not like it's built into the tutorial.

@entrailbucket said:

@DrClever said:
    We know it would happen, right? Not getting locked out perhaps, but all of a sudden finding they get loads of matches they can't win unless 1whoever5 is boosted.

That's how the game works.

So if it hasn't happened that's by coincidence not by design.

I don't think it would happen at all. Certain players seem terrified that the game will only give them fights they can't win and completely lock them out of PvP if they ever level up their guys. I've not heard from one player, ever, who's actually experienced this, though. The game is very carefully designed to avoid giving you fights you can't win. If this was happening, we'd hear about it.

Like most of the weird "MMR" phobia that exists among certain folks, I'm pretty sure this is also a big ol' nothing, and that players who buy and level these characters are just fine.

I've said before that PvP becoming unplayable is precisely what happened to me on first levelling up early 5*s and from what we know of how matches are made it's reasonable to think that buying these three or four 1->5 characters into a low level roster would leave one in a tricky position given the lack of synergy and supporting characters.

As I say I'm not sure anyone would care so much as the benefits to PvE would probably outweigh any PvP penalty and PvP at lower levels has its own frustrations anyway.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This past week is probably not a great time to assess the effectiveness of the ascended 1s because Colossus/Wanda is so strong defensively - I have had so many defensive wins it beggars belief. If on an easier week these players are still struggling maybe we might hear about it more.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 983 Critical Contributor
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Zarqa said:

"Got harder" is what I would expect. That is not even close to the same as "locked out, cannot win a single match ever."

It happened to me, but it was years ago. I had Silver Surfer, and I could win matches. When I rostered Phoenix, I got tossed into matches that I couldn't win. IIRC, I was in the transition from 2-star to 3-star play and had lucked into some 5-star covers.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Picked up on here to use Juggs/Grocket and it’s fantastic. Everyone says use another Guardian for the extra strike tile strength, but wondering why people aren’t going with Kitty or Ascended Nico instead to keep buffing. Have tried each of those combos as well as Magic as a third for all the passives and the extra AP outlets. Each of those third partners seems to be just as fast. The only must is having the Lower Level AI equipped to Rocket.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 19 January 2024, 11:35
    Options

@Jinx said:
    Picked up on here to use Juggs/Grocket and it’s fantastic. Everyone says use another Guardian for the extra strike tile strength, but wondering why people aren’t going with Kitty or Ascended Nico instead to keep buffing. Have tried each of those combos as well as Magic as a third for all the passives and the extra AP outlets. Each of those third partners seems to be just as fast. The only must is having the Lower Level AI equipped to Rocket.

Buffing is too slow, use Polaris as a third and keep matching the strikes.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options

Man, I really need to ascend Polaris. I somehow ended up way behind on her. She’s only 339. Working on her, but it’s so slow.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 19 January 2024, 14:18
    Options

Posted on Discord this morning.

There are apparently at least some people with buyer's remorse.

(I assume they meant "sell her now".)

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I am hoping this is going to be part of the MMR revisit they hinted at a while back. I feared it when they sold the first one. I had a hellish time when I got my first 5* cover years back. I ended up selling my surfer and never opening LT again until my 4* roster was very well established.

They did sort that problem out though with a change to MMR.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:
    I am hoping this is going to be part of the MMR revisit they hinted at a while back. I feared it when they sold the first one. I had a hellish time when I got my first 5* cover years back. I ended up selling my surfer and never opening LT again until my 4* roster was very well established.

They did sort that problem out though with a change to MMR.

I'm not quite sure how you manage it when the fix for 5s was "don't level them up, just roster them, and your MMR won't be impacted too much" which was a fairly reasonable approach. Also unless you go to extremes, you generally won't gather too many covers for a specific 5 via pulls until you are well established with 4s and are basically ready to be in 5 land. But the 1-5s are sold as champed 5s at 450 and you would basically be a fool to buy one and sell off the covers and not gather the champ rewards after dropping cash for one. Which is the only way you would not be leveling them.

I dunno what they can do but the fact is they just charged ahead with this, probably because the most vocal and engaged players, and most of the customers who would spend $20 on a 1-5 (mostly for reward churn) are in SCL10 and these won't really impact their MMR significantly until they are above 480 or more.

• Bowgentle
    Options

I'm guessing the fix BCS proposes is "buy all of the ascended 1-5s so you can compete".

• entrailbucket
    Options

If they start getting tons of feedback like this they'll react to it. They care a ton about the experience of the sorts of players you're talking about and they monitor it pretty closely.

I don't know that it's worthwhile for us to spend time worrying about the mostly-theoretical problems of a group of mostly-theoretical players, based off of one vague report, when we're like 3 months into this thing.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

It's almost certainly not worth us poo pooing the suggestion that there is or ever was any sort of problem each time it's mentioned.

We should all get back to the really productive work we were previously doing on this toilet game forum before humanity seriously starts to suffer from our diversion into time wasting.

• Bowgentle
    edited 19 January 2024, 15:47
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    If they start getting tons of feedback like this they'll react to it. They care a ton about the experience of the sorts of players you're talking about and they monitor it pretty closely.

Are they, though?
    We know Demi cared, as seen by the refusal to give retro rewards to the benefit of mostly vets, and other stuff.
    I'm not sure BCS has done much that helps new players, except offer many, many, MANY cash options to buy high level characters and covers.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@DrClever said:
    It's almost certainly not worth us poo pooing the suggestion that there is or ever was any sort of problem each time it's mentioned.

We should all get back to the really productive work we were previously doing on this toilet game forum before humanity seriously starts to suffer from our diversion into time wasting.

There's nobody here reporting that they're having a problem, though? If a bunch of players (or, like, any players at all) showed up and talked about exactly what they were seeing, we could talk about how they could deal with it, or how the devs could fix it. Until then we're just speculating about both the nature and the extent of the problem.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5 star juggs is available now

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I was just about to pop in here to mention that about Juggs. I hit that buy option as soon as I saw that thing pop up at 9am.