Champions 2.0 - Batch #2 Info

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards

@Jinx said:
    New goal in life: Ascend Mordo. Just tested him out with Wong and GR5 and the results, even with his 4* version, we’re amazing. He’s already a big nuker in 4* form and an excellent feeder for GRs huge black nuke. Wong boosts everything they do by 30% plus strikes. He can take Kamar Taj and let Wong use a different support for pve. Fun team.

Yeah, Mordo is definitely on my short list for Ascending as well and not only because my dupe is 365. Heck, I've used him in PVE when he was the featured 4 star - he hits really hard and has nice synergy with charged tile creators, particularly Storm. So long as he scales well, he'll be good.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Mordo's numbers, at 5*, with the boost, are going to be NUTS. He's already borderline usable at 4* when he's boosted to 479 or whatever.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@entrailbucket said:
    Mordo's numbers, at 5*, with the boost, are going to be NUTS. He's already borderline usable at 4* when he's boosted to 479 or whatever.

Or they might suck. Some characters have been disappointing when ascended, right? They aren't just applying a consistent scalar across the board.

• Altair22
    Altair22 Posts: 120 Tile Toppler

yah Im looking forward to an ascended 5 star Luke Cage Power man Iron Fist Danny Rand and Shang chi. together. the deadly trio.

• entrailbucket

@Vhailorx said:

@entrailbucket said:

Or they might suck. Some characrers have been disappointing when ascended, right? They aren't just applying a consistent scalar across the board.

So far, it looks like raw damage numbers are scaling pretty well. Cyclops, MODOK, Thor, and Hulkbuster are a few that come to mind.

You are correct, though, that they've said each character may be adjusted individually, and that there's no overall scaling factor applied, so we really can't know what anybody will look like in advance.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@entrailbucket said:

@Vhailorx said:

@entrailbucket said:

Or they might suck. Some characrers have been disappointing when ascended, right? They aren't just applying a consistent scalar across the board.

So far, it looks like raw damage numbers are scaling pretty well. Cyclops, MODOK, Thor, and Hulkbuster are a few that come to mind.

You are correct, though, that they've said each character may be adjusted individually, and that there's no overall scaling factor applied, so we really can't know what anybody will look like in advance.

You think hulkbuster scales well? He is below 3k/ap. Gargantos is over 4k for basically the same power PLUS going invis. IMHB seems like one of the relative disappointments so far.

All that said. I agree that mordo is a solid damage stick in 4* and will not be surprised if he hits very hard as a 5*. I will definitely be spending a lot of time looking at your roster tomorrow. ;)

• entrailbucket

@Vhailorx said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Vhailorx said:

@entrailbucket said:

You think hulkbuster scales well? He is below 3k/ap. Gargantos is over 4k for basically the same power PLUS going invis. IMHB seems like one of the relative disappointments so far.

All that said. I agree that mordo is a solid damage stick in 4* and will not be surprised if he hits very hard as a 5*. I will definitely be spending a lot of time looking at your roster tomorrow. ;)

Well that sounds terrifying! I already had Bow roster-stalking me!

I only use these guys when boosted, and HB felt pretty strong to me. He's not as good as MODOK (honestly MODOK is so crazy strong that I think he's bugged). But also I think I was mostly casting HB black/red combo, and that might've explained some of it.

Fwiw Gargantos is a completely insane nuke, on a solid character that sort of flies under the radar...I think he was released at a weird time in the metagame or something because nobody seems to use him.

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker

"Fwiw Gargantos is a completely insane nuke, on a solid character that sort of flies under the radar...I think he was released at a weird time in the metagame or something because nobody seems to use him."

I think it's because Gargantos really shines only w/ 5Hawkeye. if you don't have have him+gargantos together, Gargantos is just "MEH" as you need 5HE's AP generator to fuel Gargantos.

Not everyone had 5HE if they skipped him, he's a really old 5* now-a-days.

• entrailbucket

@fnedude said:
    "Fwiw Gargantos is a completely insane nuke, on a solid character that sort of flies under the radar...I think he was released at a weird time in the metagame or something because nobody seems to use him."

I think it's because Gargantos really shines only w/ 5Hawkeye. if you don't have have him+gargantos together, Gargantos is just "MEH" as you need 5HE's AP generator to fuel Gargantos.

That combo definitely works, because Gargantos makes a CD passively every turn and Hawkeye will generate a ton of AP off that.

I guess the bigger problem is that if you're going to generate a ton of blue...well, Kang can just win the game immediately. Polaris can lock down the enemy and make a ton of special tiles. Beta Ray Bill can do a bunch of damage and make protect tiles. Gargantos is a huge single target nuke, but blue might currently be the best color in the game, and single target nukes aren't as useful as some of the other stuff you can do with blue.

• primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker

@entrailbucket said:

@fnedude said:

That combo definitely works, because Gargantos makes a CD passively every turn and Hawkeye will generate a ton of AP off that.

I guess the bigger problem is that if you're going to generate a ton of blue...well, Kang can just win the game immediately. Polaris can lock down the enemy and make a ton of special tiles. Beta Ray Bill can do a bunch of damage and make protect tiles. Gargantos is a huge single target nuke, but blue might currently be the best color in the game, and single target nukes aren't as useful as some of the other stuff you can do with blue.

That's why I run Gargantos/5Hawkeye/5Kang a lot especially in PVE. It can end some tough battles quickly...

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor

@Vhailorx said:

Your mileage may vary, but I used to use 4* Buster all the time before ascensions were even a twinkle in the developers eyes. I would couple him with 5* Phoenix, and 3* Cyclops to Fuel red.

It should be noted that HulkBuster generates red, not only with his black, but also with a potential of cascading with his blue.

Cyclops, yellow into HulkBuster, Blue into Phoenix, purple : a lot of selective red tile conversion/isolating colors to red on the board.

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards

I love all this ascension stuff! My only peeve is that DDQ with its 1*, 2* and 3* requirements gets a bit ruddy when your favourite team members ascends away from the arena. At least it should make for some new exciting combos.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

Gargantos was superseded by Kang pretty much right away. Why use 27 blue to single target when you could use it to just…win?

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

Yeah, I'd like some characters that can't be sent Away against their will.

Wong seems like an obvious one, Strange, Clea, too, Magik maybe?

• ThaRoadWarrior

Wong can be sent away, but he does prevent the 3-away loss with his passive doesn’t he?

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

Oh, does he?

That's great, then.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Wong can be sent away, but he does prevent the 3-away loss with his passive doesn’t he?

The 3-away loss will happen if he aways himself against Kang, I think. If Kang has died or is stunned, he's safe. I once sent 2 enemies away before my Kang died and then I downed the final one but I didn't win.

• ThaRoadWarrior

I just reread it, and it seems like he only returns early if the Allie’s are downed, so maybe not.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

So is Hawkeye the only 2-star being added this batch? Because widow and cap are already ascendable. I expected much more

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards

@bbigler said:
    So is Hawkeye the only 2-star being added this batch? Because widow and cap are already ascendable. I expected much more

Looks like it.