Champions 2.0 - Batch #2 Info

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@killercool said:
    Not sure if this has been answered anywhere, but I have a question on retro rewards.

Do we know how retro rewards will be calculated when applied to a character you have ascended?

For example in the update list 4* Mocking Bird is currently not a feeder. Currently if I had 2 level 370 copies of her I would expect 12 covers of whatever 5* character she was made a feeder for in the future. Would I still get 12 retro covers if she was made a feeder after I ascended her?

Hope the question makes sense, and apologies if it has been asked and answered elsewhere.

You would not get any retro covers. They've been very clear about this.

We'll see how that goes over when/if they ever make an ascendable characrer a post hoc feeder.> @JimboJambo said:

Exactly as others have said, as soon as ascension was announced, every 1* cover became a potential 5* reward / level (or at least one quarter of a reward at 5*). Knowing how many covers it will take to get there, I never want to sell another 1-star cover. The frustration is just having to wait for this rollout to be completed and the consequent cost of extra roster slots where HP could have been spent on fun anniversary stuff instead. Not a huge issue for me but it has slightly dented my excitement at this new feature.

What you are describing as a bug IS the new feature for d3/bcs. More use for roster slots creates more pressure on HP resources for players. Add in a dose of exciting anniversary HP direct buy offers and you have yourself a nice bump in HP sales.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards

@Vhailorx said:
    What you are describing as a bug IS the new feature for d3/bcs. More use for roster slots creates more pressure on HP resources for players. Add in a dose of exciting anniversary HP direct buy offers and you have yourself a nice bump in HP sales.

I don't mind that we need more roster slots. I mind that they insulted my intelligence in the FAQ that came out with Ascension 1.0 where the devs told me that the amount of roster slots we need would not increase. It was clear even then that more roster slots would be needed, even if it is only temporary, by not rolling everything out at once.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

You could just sell the currently-non-ascendable covers, rather than spending HP to recruit them.

I'm selling some, because I don't want to buy 10000 temporary roster slots, and it's just not that big a deal. 1* and 2* covers are abundant enough that I'll get plenty of them eventually.

• JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 132 Tile Toppler

I'm not beyond taking the cynical view but I do think they intended to roll this out a bit more quickly than they have.

MPQ Blaine said on Sept 28: "The DEV team plans to roll out additional batches over the next couple of months! We'll definitely follow up with more concrete dates as they continue to make progress."

Definitely open to interpretation but u had kind of assumed that meant everyone would be ascendable by end of November. If the reward bugs are ironed out then there doesn't seem much reason to drag this out, unless it is a deliberate ploy to keep people spending on roster slots.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

I would hope that any delay has been a combination of the rewards issue and a QA review of the power balance of ascended characters.

4 star characters only need one level of review, whereas 1 stars will require 4 reviews to make sure a level isn't broken. That combined with the number in each tier makes the floor schedule understandable.

I had read somewhere that Batch 3 was being worked on a couple of weeks ago, which would lead me to believe that these releases will speed up now that the rewards issue is fixed and time can be spent focusing on future batches.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@entrailbucket said:
    You could just sell the currently-non-ascendable covers, rather than spending HP to recruit them.

I'm selling some, because I don't want to buy 10000 temporary roster slots, and it's just not that big a deal. 1* and 2* covers are abundant enough that I'll get plenty of them eventually.

This is where I am. I'll probably roster an extra 2 star once I get two max champs, but I'm not sure I'll go past that. We'll see. I've also stopped opening Heroics, Elites, etc until at least the 5/3 release, which is something I do normally though I generally start a bit closer to their release.

I've got two of every 1 star, I'm letting those covers sell themselves - I'm sure it won't be a substantial amount in the end.

@JimboJambo said:
    I'm not beyond taking the cynical view but I do think they intended to roll this out a bit more quickly than they have.

MPQ Blaine said on Sept 28: "The DEV team plans to roll out additional batches over the next couple of months! We'll definitely follow up with more concrete dates as they continue to make progress."

Definitely open to interpretation but u had kind of assumed that meant everyone would be ascendable by end of November. If the reward bugs are ironed out then there doesn't seem much reason to drag this out, unless it is a deliberate ploy to keep people spending on roster slots.

Word was (probably on Discord) that they wanted to get them all done by the end of the year. They're not hideously off-track for that, I suspect fixing the "triple rewards" issue slowed them down considerably but at this point they'll probably go faster.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,210 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@LavaManLee said:

@Vhailorx said:

I don't mind that we need more roster slots. I mind that they insulted my intelligence in the FAQ that came out with Ascension 1.0 where the devs told me that the amount of roster slots we need would not increase. It was clear even then that more roster slots would be needed, even if it is only temporary, by not rolling everything out at once.

When ascension went live I instantly had 12 roster slots open up after merging all the characters that I could. I'm still positive 1 roster slot after the first batch and should get about 20 more once the next batch goes live.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

I got a bunch of free slots but opened like 4k mighty tokens in order to double max my Medusa and Nico before ascending. As you can imagine I had a CRAZY amount of extra covers and filled all the open slots and even had to buy a bunch more for all the excess non-ascendable characters I already had maxed. Without bugged rewards I’ll be in much less of a hurry to open and will wait for all characters to be ascendable before l start opening tokens again. Currently at 590 slots. The OCD in me wants to just make it an even 600

• Ragnarok
    Ragnarok Posts: 31 Just Dropped In

Would anyone ascend 4* without 5* feeders like 4Cage, Red Hulk, Coulson ….?

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker

@Ragnarok said:

I'm planning to hold on them in case they become retroactive feeders. I have a 370 and a baby champ of all of them.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

@Ragnarok said:

I'm going to ascend all of them because I think those guys will be pretty strong, and I'm betting that they'll be stronger than whatever theoretical 5* they might feed

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

Actually it's pretty easy to calculate retro rewards for an ascended 4*: just give a set of rewards for a maxed character. Better that than nothing. If the player maxed 2, well bad luck as that can't be proven.

Conspiracy theories always are fun and entertaining, but BCS always has been generous and if they don't release the batches already is because they can't and they are working on it, not because they devised the ultimate evil plan in order to make players miserable. After all we have the second batch here.

Players will have to spend hp in order to get slots? You aren't telling nothing new.
    Be aware that you can totally pass on ascensions: certainly you won't need it in pve and unless you are a top competitive player you won't need it in pvp.
    So everyone is totally free to play as wanted. Exactly as before.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,200 Chairperson of the Boards

@DrClever said:

@DyingLegend said:
    I'm still not sold on champions 2.0.....

Tell us more.

Is it concerns about disrupting the balance of play with overpowered new 5*s or are you just finding out a bit meh?

I don't think it will disrupt the balance of play. I think 1 stars that are upgraded to 5 stars are just cheap knock offs.

I think the system is overly convoluted and a clear cash grab.

Until roster slots become less expensive I won't be doing anything with champion 2.0. I'm just going to keep the farms alive and carry on. Once the anniversary is over I'm going to take a break for a little while.

• JediJones77
    JediJones77 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2023

@BriMan2222 said:

When ascension went live I instantly had 12 roster slots open up after merging all the characters that I could. I'm still positive 1 roster slot after the first batch and should get about 20 more once the next batch goes live.

A situation that applies to virtually no one. The game offered almost no reason to hold onto duplicate maxed versions of the same character. The only reasons were if the character was particularly useful, and you wanted to use them often and save on revives, or if you wanted to have the ability to give multiple team-ups of that character to your alliance. The absolute norm of play was to sell a duplicate of a character as soon as you maxed them. Every incentive was put in place to do that. You got resources for selling them, and you avoided having to buy a new roster slot to begin using covers of that character again to earn more rewards. Anyone holding onto more than a few duplicates of fully maxed characters in their roster was acting far outside the norm of the player base.

And if you're talking about ascending characters where the second copy was not yet maxed, then you caved in to giving up resources by merging the characters too early. That's no different than someone who is selling off covers because they don't have room to roster another copy now.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@JediJones77 said:

@BriMan2222 said:

A situation that applies to virtually no one. The game offered almost no reason to hold onto duplicate maxed versions of the same character. The only reasons were if the character was particularly useful, and you wanted to use them often and save on revives, or if you wanted to have the ability to give multiple team-ups of that character to your alliance. The absolute norm of play was to sell a duplicate of a character as soon as you maxed them. Every incentive was put in place to do that. You got resources for selling them, and you avoided having to buy a new roster slot to begin using covers of that character again to earn more rewards. Anyone holding onto more than a few duplicates of fully maxed characters in their roster was acting far outside the norm of the player base.

And if you're talking about ascending characters where the second copy was not yet maxed, then you caved in to giving up resources by merging the characters too early. That's no different than someone who is selling off covers because they don't have room to roster another copy now.

It may not be the norm for lower rosters, but what Bri described is absolutely the norm for vets with very high tier rosters.
    If you don't need ISO, and if you don't care about buying slots, why wouldn't you hold onto dupes?

• Ragnarok

@KGB said:

@Ragnarok said:

Because being able to ascend means you have them at L370. If you have them there, you are WAY into 5* game play, with a good chance you have all the 5* champed and plenty over L500. At that point, getting 6 covers for some newly released 5* if/when they ever make them a feeder just won't matter in the least to your game play compared to being able to use the character in 5* land now.

KGB

Thanks.
    I champed most 5*, and have many around lv480 - 500. I only ascend max/max, because I don’t want to missed out any rewards.
    So missing out 6 5* covers is really bad, but then again it’s hard to not knowing when it’s became a feeder.

• Ragnarok

@liminal_lad said:

@Ragnarok said:

I'm planning to hold on them in case they become retroactive feeders. I have a 370 and a baby champ of all of them.

Thanks. I have most dup champed, and I will hold on to them.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

@JediJones77 said:

A situation that applies to virtually no one. The game offered almost no reason to hold onto duplicate maxed versions of the same character. Anyone holding onto more than a few duplicates of fully maxed characters in their roster was acting far outside the norm of the player base.

And what about TU? Many times I've suffered because of the opponent firing a high level TU, probably because of having many 4* dupes.
    Don't talk about norms because this game is fully played on all levels.
    About ascending 2 maxed characters because of not losing rewards, well you can take literal years and maybe those resources just don't worth it compared to climb easily and without hits in many pvps.