Champions 2.0 Post-launch FAQ and Discussion

Comments

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 507 Critical Contributor

@meadowsweet said:

@Pantera236 said:
    I think the problem is vets who already have multiple 370's and would just have 550's straight out of the gate

Is "the problem" for... the vets, who bore easily? their opponents, who are quickly overwhelmed? the devs, who want to keep stringing them along and hope they buy something?

Gonna go with yes.

• TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 137 Tile Toppler

Question: Do ascended characters still work on required character nodes?

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards

@TriSentinel said:
    Question: Do ascended characters still work on required character nodes?

Yes they do.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 507 Critical Contributor

I'm seeing ascended characters boosted in the class of reruns and in PvE so maybe Psylocke not being boosted isn't even necessarily a bug but just that the pvp started before the "switch" for champions 2.0 was turned on.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards

If this game didn’t “string you along for years” then you would have quit a long time ago. Some people are only satisfied with constant progress and that’s not a bad thing. So, this new system is a smart move to keep the game alive for another 10 yrs

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2023

So here are some of my thoughts a few days into Ascension. Some apply to me personally and some about the overall situation.

Arrgh! I had just flipped a 2* Storm and 3* Cyclops a couple days before Champs 2.0 was announced. My 2nd Cyclops literally has just 1 cover at the moment. It would have been nice to Ascend him right away, but oh well. I'm sure whenever this was announced I would have had some characters this would have applied to.

This is clearly a push to sell more hero coins by making us need more character slots. The cynic in me feels that part of the way this was rolled out is done to make them especially needed right away.
    Every cover now has use beyond just selling for iso, even 1 stars. The one tier without championing so there is no way to save covers on them. Since only 3 of the 8 can ascend we're supposed to buy extra slots to build dupes to save all our covers. Which ones could ascend? the 3 that you could put 13 covers into one roster slots. The ones that aren't ascendable: the ones you can only save 10 covers on per roster slot. While other characters are more deserving, I would love to see the other 1 stars prioritized for the next wave just for the sake of roster management.

Besides the demand for saving 1 stars now, only rolling some out from the higher tiers also encourages needed more slots for dupes rather than flipping them. If they could all be ascended right away, we could have more control over our rosters.

I don't like the accordion type of effect this will have on need for slots. Before, assuming you didn't want to save extras, you could plan on how many slots per character. Personally, I had 2 of each 2 and 3 star. 1 to use and 1 to get rewards then flip. Now sometimes a character will need 1 slot and sometimes some will need up to 5 before consolidating down to 1 temporarily.

I was so close to a major goal: 6 maxed Bagmans, 1 of each possible skill set. I currently have 5 done and the 6th is at 131. I may even reach it before I start ascending him, just to get that magic screenshot.

While it would have been so much better for players if all characters were ready to be ascended at the start, at least the timing is perfect for me. I save hero coins all year for the Anniversary vault and tend to clear it our 5 to 6 times. This year, unless it's utterly amazing, I'll probably just save coins to get my roster in order as needed.

Right now, I'm not hating the system, but I am resenting some of the ways it was rolled out.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023

I think it's a really tough one. Add everyone for ascension on day 1 and the roster spot problem gets worse for some, better for others. Release them in batches and its manageable for some in terms of slots, more work for others to manage theirs. So I don't disagree with your sentiment or view, but there will be others in different situations who will view it differently.

On more specific points: There is no requirement to ascend everyone at once. 1*s before were auto-sell for 100 Iso. If they expire now, you still get that so you're not worse off.

If you have the resources to get 8 extra roster slots, or 16 or whatever, then you can. Or if you ascend your 2* or 3* you can free up slots from previous dupes, which is what I did. I have duped all my 1* and 2*s with the spare slots and it hasn't cost me HP.

In 10 days my 1* HE on the vine will drop off if I don't buy a slot. If I can't ascend him by then, I have a choice to either sell him for 100 ISO or buy a slot. As you say, anniversary is almost upon us. Do I value not losing the additional value of a 1* cover more than whatever 1200 HP buys me in an anniversary vault? Probably not. So if I need to, I'll wait a few more days for that cover.

But this is a short term problem, because once I can ascend 1* HE, he needs 86 more covers before I need to buy another HE slot. But by that time I can probably ascend another 2* and free up the slot. And then I'll need 177 HE covers before I need another slot. You don't need all the slots at the same time.

• NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 118 Tile Toppler

That is fine, we just need to know the gap between each batch. Maybe a new batch each season?

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,155 Chairperson of the Boards

I've ascended Sentry, and was using his 4-star variety in the required node today. He's at LVL 303, and is at 5/5/3.

Supernova - 2398 damage to enemy team, and then 1680 damage to enemy team and 1680 to allies per red destroyed.
    World Rupture. Fills an 8x8 square, with each countdown doing 374 to the enemy team and 374 to allies.

At LVL 4, World Rupture fills a 6x6 square, and does 374 to the enemy team and 327 to allies.

Meanwhile, the LVL 185 Sentry I have, who is also 5/5/3:
    Supernova - 1997 damage to enemy team, and then 333 damage to enemy team and 175 to allies per red destroyed.
    World Rupture. Fills an 8x8 square, with each countdown doing 168 to the enemy team and 65 to allies.

So the damage he does to his own team scales up faster than the damage he does to the enemies?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,380 Chairperson of the Boards

I wonder if his 4* is based on his pre rebalance numbers? I don’t recall how awful he was before this most recent change (I’m aware he was nerfed a million years ago before the recent adjustment).

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

All the 1* tier isn't available yet to ascend. But it will be.
    So I'm rostering everyone of course. In order to have a viable 1 2 and 3 tier farm available, probably at least 40 extra slots will be needed.
    It pays off?
    I'd say yes but of course some investment must be done.
    And all this means extra monetization for the game, clearly. I think it's a pretty fair deal.

• ThaRoadWarrior

I’ve already duped all the 1s except Yelena. I don’t think it’ll be a nightmare all at once for me, particularly if I don’t bother backfilling base level characters for a bit.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah at a certain roster level this is super beneficial for roster slots.
    I don't think you'll have problems if you ascend - get the ascended to max level - roster new copy - ascend - rince repeat.
    Of course I have absolutely no way of knowing how this is for lower level rosters, or those who only ever rostered one copy, for whatever reason.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker

@Bowgentle said:
    those who only ever rostered one copy, for whatever reason.

My reason for rostering one copy was... I never saw any benefit or reason to, prior to this week. You tied up twice as many roster spots, spent hundreds of thousands of Hero Points (at the highest prices), made it harder to find and keep track of everyone, and for what? So you'd have a level 266 Vision ready at all times?

I understand keeping around a maxed Polaris when you re-roster her, but beyond a handful of standouts, it just doesn't matter to me. Worst comes to worst, it's not like you're going to lose a mandatory DDQ node, even if you're going in with Level 110 Bag-Man, Moonstone, and Ares. It just might take an extra 30 seconds (in an event where timing doesn't matter.)

• Altair22
    Altair22 Posts: 120 Tile Toppler

so far day 3 in the champion 2.0 intro. : I ascended a base one star to 5 star, 3 two star base to 3 star, 10 three star base to 4 star , and 1 four star base to 5 star(Moon Knight). Noticed that the 4 star ascended to 5 moon Knight is stronger than the 5 base Moon knight. Interesting.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Today I played against a player with a single ascended 5-1-Star Ironman. The rest of his roster was some 3-star champs. I think this could help newer players progress quicker. I hope this allows the Developers to redo the SCL in PvE

• Altair22

@Punisher5784 said:
    Today I played against a player with a single ascended 5-1-Star Ironman. The rest of his roster was some 3-star champs. I think this could help newer players progress quicker. I hope this allows the Developers to redo the SCL in PvE

Yah I also have a one star base 5 star Iron man, bought it yesterday and in one day I leveled it to 454, seems to be easier to level the ascended one star base 5 star since it requires 4 one star IM covers and its a bit easier to get standard tokens than the legendary ones. ascension essentials vault helps. also the one star bases can easilly be acquired from PVE and PVP nodes

• ThaRoadWarrior

@Altair22 said:
    so far day 3 in the champion 2.0 intro. : I ascended a base one star to 5 star, 3 two star base to 3 star, 10 three star base to 4 star , and 1 four star base to 5 star(Moon Knight). Noticed that the 4 star ascended to 5 moon Knight is stronger than the 5 base Moon knight. Interesting.

You took a 1* up to 5* in 3 days?

• Altair22

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@Altair22 said:

You took a 1* up to 5* in 3 days?

nope bought the ascended one star base 5 star Iron man from MPQ offers ,