***** Venomsaurus Rex (Brockiosaurus) *****

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,070 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bad said:
    I think it's already enough. We have 2 dogs, a frog, 2 sharks, a pig, 3 dinosaurs, a monkey, an alligator, and a duck.
    I think the zoo is already complete.
    I get that you love animals, devs. But how about if you make a big effort and continue releasing super heroes? With cape or without, you know, humanoids.
    Those guys that usually are the main stars on 100% of the movies and probably 95% of the comics.
    I'd really appreciate that. Thanks.

Also a cat and dragon as Supports!

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

There can never be enough cats in the game.
    Where's Spider-Cat!

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2023

@Bowgentle said:

I never thought I'd read speciesism on this board, but here we are.

Do you like to play puzzle with animals? Great, you can download pet rescue saga, farm heroes, angry birds, even pokemon.
    However I thought this was a super heroes puzzle, and while the thing was entertaining when they were 4* characters, right now there are 2 on 5* tier.
    Do you know what is more absurd than a rex with a white spider on its chest?
    To accuse someone of speciesism.
    But here we are.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bad said:
    I think it's already enough. We have 2 dogs, a frog, 2 sharks, a pig, 3 dinosaurs, a monkey, an alligator, and a duck.
    I think the zoo is already complete.
    I get that you love animals, devs. But how about if you make a big effort and continue releasing super heroes? With cape or without, you know, humanoids.
    Those guys that usually are the main stars on 100% of the movies and probably 95% of the comics.

We need an Animal-only PvP event

• Bad

@Punisher5784 said:

Or perhaps it could be that actually we don't .

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

@Bad said:

@Punisher5784 said:

Or perhaps it could be that actually we don't .

Don't be so grumpy, think of all the great names we could call it:

Kung-Zoo Fighting
    Pets Get Ready to Rumble
    The Thrilla with the Gorilla (OK...we might need a gorilla for that one)
    WWF (Word Wide Fund for Nature) Smackdown
    Anarchy on the Ark

OK...I'm done.

Bravo! 👏

Animal Cross-ding-ding?

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 470 Mover and Shaker

I googled comic sales for May 2023 and The Edge of the Spider-Verse was 4th by sales. Maybe this is the kind of content active mainstream Marvel comic readers want.

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2023

@Blackstone said:

@Scofie said:

I'm fairly ambivalent about the character, but I'm not sure it's fair to suggest it's "lazy". I'm sure it took just a long to code and design as any other character. There's a theme going for summer, so I'd argue it's actually harder to keep finding and fitting those in than having a free choice over who is next.

I can certainly understand being restrained by parameters making it more difficult to produce something new and creative, especially when those parameters require several characters in close order that are various versions of an already well represented character group. Most people involved are likely just doing their jobs. But somewhere someone is making decisions that effect the game. And I'm curious about what actually goes into those decisions.

Well... Broken Circle wasn't FORCED to go back to the practice to release simultaneous 3* and 5* characters. At some point someone made that decision and it's now showing to have been unwise as it seems to be forcing the creative team to make uncreative decisions in order to keep up with the release schedule. They have complete power to go back on that decision or NOT release two versions of every character if the only alternative they can think is to strap a symbiote suite on the original character.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,578 Chairperson of the Boards

@liminal_lad said:
    I googled comic sales for May 2023 and The Edge of the Spider-Verse was 4th by sales. Maybe this is the kind of content active mainstream Marvel comic readers want.

Given that, it's entirely possible that Marvel asked BCS to add this character, to tie in with one of their most popular current comic series.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 470 Mover and Shaker

@entrailbucket said:

@liminal_lad said:

Given that, it's entirely possible that Marvel asked BCS to add this character, to tie in with one of their most popular current comic series.

I assume this was a request from Marvel. It's also a mini-series. If I'm reading the solicits correctly Spider-Dino is just in a single issue of the current run, making something like 15 total appearances. I can see using the game as an advertising platform, I'm just not sure this is what I would have chosen to advertise. Maybe they're hoping to get people to buy the trade paperback.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,578 Chairperson of the Boards

It's not talked about very much around here, but the Marvel license is a double-edged sword for the devs. Obviously without it, the game wouldn't exist today, and probably would never have gotten off the ground.

But it's extremely expensive to license these characters -- I remember that licensing was by far the biggest expense for the old devs. The need for revenue drives the character release schedule.

Marvel also has a lot of control over their game licensees. They have to approve all the characters and art, all the PvE events and every single line of dialogue, and they can use the game for cross-promotion of whatever they're currently trying to push.

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker

The high-ground preaching that some of you are doing about released characters is so self-aggrandizing and irritating. This is a character that was inspired by a standout in Old Man Logan and Old Man Hawkeye, that is now reimagined in a current, very popular comic run.

The arguments that this character doesn't belong in MPQ or is somehow a worse addition than others are bogus. People are critiquing others for 'not reading enough comics' while simultaneously saying they haven't heard of this character. Other arguments are somehow implying that characters from new comic runs don't deserve to be added to MPQ, while disregarding that this isn't even the first comic appearance of a venomized T-Rex, which instead was another very popular, iconic comic run, Old Man Logan.

Stop claiming your perspective on Marvel is the only valid one. Symbiotes, particularly Venom, are ALL OVER Marvel, across innumerable comic runs. The symbiotes are intertwined with a vast number of popular and diverse characters. These are well-selling and current storylines and that alone is valid reason to add them to MPQ.

• Bad
    edited June 2023

I watched hitmonkey show because of the MPQ character. It had a violent mature content which pleased me. It was a right show, entertaining to the most.
    Could had I watched another show instead of that one? Yeah absolutely there are betters.
    Is hitmonkey a great character for me now that I know him? No, nothing at all.
    Did hitmonkey deserve a place at 5* tier? Absolutely not. There are hundreds of better characters deserving it.
    But it was Marvel add at that time so we had to smallow it, like jeff, like this one, and if it keeps this pace soon we will be playing Mighty Mouse, if Marvel gets the proper license.