***** Spider-Gwen (Gwenom) *****

Options

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,979 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Did they change her purple AP cost? I swear it was 7. That ability is not good for 9AP. Her AP costs overall are probably too high.

Your thinking of the 3* version where it does cost 7. In fact the 3* version powers cost 7/8/8 respectively so both Purple and Red are cheaper than the 5* version and the 3* Black stun is per 6 web tiles instead of 8.

Yet again the 3* version ends up better than the 5*, this time to due to AP costs and better stun :(

KGB

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options

The purple power costs less with more covers, at 3+ it is actually 7ap if I read correctly

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Looks interesting but a bit complicated, lots of questions lol.

Purple - Like other people have wondered, does she make a web tile ONLY if there are no web tiles in a color? Or is it on a per-color basis? If it only works at 0 web tiles it's awful.

• Does "create a web tile" in the passive overwrite existing special tiles? I also don't really like the no-special-tiles requirement. There are so many characters that make special tiles and would make her passive really hard to trigger, and she needs a LOT of web tiles around. I don't think having her make 1 web tile per match would be OP.

Black - I don't get this trend of ignoring protect tiles. It's a big hit with boosted damage, it's extremely rare the the opponent is going to be sitting at 10k shields. Please don't bother with this "benefit" and use it to balance powers.

• Are the bonuses cumulative? Or rather, do you only take the highest? So if you have this power at 5, does it do nothing until you have 16+ ap? Or, do you get the 30% boost at 12 ap, and it gets better as you get more ap?

Red - I like all the new teams, but feel that way too many characters have a narrow window for their powers, and that it's winding up to be a waste of balancing power. Like, if the bonus damage/damage reduction to symbiotes wasn't there, would her powers cost less or do more damage? There's far too few supernatural/symbiote/whoever else has team-specific aspects to it. And even less that actually come up, so it all feels like just a waste of space.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So her red can strike, with 5 others AP and 16 web tiles, for 150k damage. Unboosted.
    Not bad at all. Now the key is to find the optimal team for doing it fast.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,980 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    After all the recent PhD-thesis ability descriptions, I'm so happy to see a character with simple descriptions.

That Purple looks very underwhelming for a 5* ability. Also, how do you create 1.5 tiles? Seems like an easy 3/5/5.

Yeah, there's some PhD thesis to the purple active, with the 1.5 thing.

What this does (and I think I actually understand it, but it's sort of odd) -- it counts how many colors do NOT have a special tile, but the [redacted] tiles don't count. It then multiplies that number by the factor from the power.

So, if there is one blue strike tile on the board and no other specials, that means 5 colors don't have a special tile. So when you fire his purple it will create:

5 [redacted] tiles at 3 covers (5 colors * 1)
    7 [redacted] tiles at 4 covers (5 colors * 1.5, rounded down)
    10 [redacted] tiles at 5 covers (5 * 2)

All on random tiles, ie not on any particular color.

It doesn't say, but according to the formula, if there is a special tile on every color, the power would do nothing.

This is all needlessly complicated, but whatever.

For those confused about her purple passive -- just replying to my own post rather than rewriting the entire thing. IceIX confirmed that my reading of it was correct.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@pepitedechocolat said:
    The purple power costs less with more covers, at 3+ it is actually 7ap if I read correctly

Thanks, that's why I thought that! It costs 7 on any championed build.

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    After all the recent PhD-thesis ability descriptions, I'm so happy to see a character with simple descriptions.

That Purple looks very underwhelming for a 5* ability. Also, how do you create 1.5 tiles? Seems like an easy 3/5/5.

What this does (and I think I actually understand it, but it's sort of odd) -- it counts how many colors do NOT have a special tile, but the [redacted] tiles don't count. It then multiplies that number by the factor from the power.

So, if there is one blue strike tile on the board and no other specials, that means 5 colors don't have a special tile. So when you fire his purple it will create:

It doesn't say, but according to the formula, if there is a special tile on every color, the power would do nothing.

For those confused about her purple passive -- just replying to my own post rather than rewriting the entire thing. IceIX confirmed that my reading of it was correct.

That’s even worse than how I read it. Either way, it’s awful. 7 AP for maybe 6 web tiles?

Do web tiles count as special tiles?

That’s a trash tier power. Honestly, her red is the only thing keeping her from being complete garbage. I can’t stop thinking about how bad this kit is.

• BurntOutGamer
    BurntOutGamer Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options

Guessing I’ll use her on required nodes with Okoye & 2099? Was hoping her damage decrease would affect Spider-verse characters. Can’t all be metas I suppose

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Her purple at 7AP can make up to 12 webs IF not playing against any special tiles user.
    Then collecting 10 AP red plus other 5 AP for her big nuke at 8 hits of 150k damage.
    That makes her a really slow character no matter how many batteries you pair her up.
    Another character to pass for me.

• Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I’ve seen a couple comments that she might play well with Petey but that’s he’s underpowered (being so long in the tooth).

Maybe he’s next up for a rebalance.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@allen_koholic said:

@entrailbucket said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:

That’s even worse than how I read it. Either way, it’s awful. 7 AP for maybe 6 web tiles?

That’s a trash tier power. Honestly, her red is the only thing keeping her from being complete garbage. I can’t stop thinking about how bad this kit is.

I'm not sure if web tiles count as "special" for the purposes of this power. Web tiles seem to get treated inconsistently -- I think sometimes they're special and sometimes they're not?

• pepitedechocolat
    Options

@allen_koholic said:

@entrailbucket said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:

at higher covers its 7ap for up to 6/9/12 web tiles at 3/4/5 covers, which synergize with red, and the power also has a passive part. maybe its not completely great,but on an empty board it is a strong web tile generator

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,679 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Aweberman said:
    I’ve seen a couple comments that she might play well with Petey but that’s he’s underpowered (being so long in the tooth).

Maybe he’s next up for a rebalance.

He is in the Gwenom store so it would be good timing but we won't see any more rebalancing until late June if they stick to their schedule.

• hygge_hound
    hygge_hound Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options

Dang, I was hoping for Spider-Punk. 3/4/5* Gwen seems excessive. But what else is new with Spiderpeople/symbiote.

Maybe we'll still get a Spider-Punk. Fingers crossed!

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,307 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023
    Options

This character seems completely out of touch with the game and how it is played at the 5* level. As others have mentioned, could be a good character if transitioning but there already are a number of decent transition characters.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I hate to sound negative but this character looks dreadful.. the 5* pool of Magik, Jeff and Gwen has to be the worst Latest 3 group

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:
    I hate to sound negative but this character looks dreadful.. the 5* pool of Magik, Jeff and Gwen has to be the worst Latest 3 group

Jeff is the weakest of this bunch. His match damage passive could have made Gwenom more attractive but the bonus numbers are just too low, and unlike the other two he doesn't have much damage potential. His green is the only unique thing about him and will come in handy during specific puzzle gauntlets.

• pepitedechocolat
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

you forgot hevo between jeff and gwen

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

This sounds like a good topic for a different thread, but there is no way this is the worst Latest 3.

Post-Gambit-nerf, Demiurge got really scared about power level and released a ton of stinkers in a row. We had like 6-9 months straight of subpar 5*.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bzhai said:

@Punisher5784 said:

Jeff is the weakest of this bunch. His match damage passive could have made Gwenom more attractive but the bonus numbers are just too low, and unlike the other two he doesn't have much damage potential. His green is the only unique thing about him and will come in handy during specific puzzle gauntlets.

Jeff's green is awesome. I can't agree he's the weakest when he has a standout ability, even if it's his only one.