Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Huh. He does, just tested.
    OK Yeah that should be fixed.

But how? Should the wording be changed or the power be changed?

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

I can't remember the name but the female 4* who synergises with Luke Cage/Iron Fist gives burst heal even when fortified cd expires, even though it said triggers when fortified tiles are matched or destroyed, and it has been like this before BCS took over.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    I can't remember the name but the female 4* who synergises with Luke Cage/Iron Fist gives burst heal even when fortified cd expires, even though it said triggers when fortified tiles are matched or destroyed, and it has been like this before BCS took over.

So that excuses them from ever fixing this?

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Nope, it means that expire could mean destroy. Just like how matching tiles is also considered destroying tiles.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hmm. If my Netflix subscription expires it doesn't tend to explode when doing so. The milk goes past it's use by date and the fridge isn't splattered with a destroyed milk bottle. The English doesn't follow too well for expires = destroys. But then MPQ is a law unto itself.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,412 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Two questions, that I don’t know have been answered yet.

1) is away working like it’s supposed to with the revive bros yet? (stay down when the other is away)

2) Any plans to change the 5* so he’s NOT getting AP when tiles expire? Could someone ask this in Discord since the devs don’t seem to answer questions here?

I’m itching to pull a lot for Kangers so I have a higher health blue man group, but would like to know if they are going to change the power to match the wording or the wording to match the power.

1 showed up in the bug forum as iHulk reviving when Chasm was away. The devs said they would fix it, so we think if a toon is away a reviver can not revive (except iShulk her mechanic is different)

2 no idea at all the wording is ambiguous. If a tile expires is it destroyed? It’s a strange semantic catch.

BCS said they wanted clarity on definitions I wish they would just follow through.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, at some point they need to go through all these descriptions and fix ambiguous wording. Didn't someone find like 8 synonyms for "steal?"

I wouldn't take "Destroy" to mean "Expire" in other power descriptions.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,955 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

And then do the same in all the other languages!

Because MPQ supports lots of languages I suspect this has ended up being a lot hard to do than we all think it should be because some words in English have no equivalent in other languages and vice versa so getting a consistent description across all languages is hard.

KGB

• entrailbucket
    Options

Didn't they just give up translating at some point? I've seen screenshots where a few things are translated and there's huge blocks of English text in there.

• Daredevil217
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Yeah, at some point they need to go through all these descriptions and fix ambiguous wording. Didn't someone find like 8 synonyms for "steal?"

I don’t think they are synonymous. Sort of like how matching is a type of destroying but the reverse isn’t true, maybe expiring is a form of tile destruction as well. That would make sense, because the five star would be more powerful than the three (as it should be). Do we have other characters aside from Misty where an effect is supposed to happen when a countdown or special tile is destroyed?

• Bowgentle
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

@entrailbucket said:

I don’t think they are synonymous. Sort of like how matching is a type of destroying but the reverse isn’t true, maybe expiring is a form of tile destruction as well. That would make sense, because the five star would be more powerful than the three (as it should be). Do we have other characters aside from Misty where an effect is supposed to happen when a countdown or special tile is destroyed?

Iceman.
    His blue is his selling point for running him with Jane.
    Also, Xfool.
    Like, for 4* Deadpool purple there are two different effects for match - do damage - and expire - do nothing.

So yeah they're definitely not synonymous.

• Daredevil217
    Options

Iceman says when YOU destroy a countdown, X happens. The countdown expiring is not YOU destroying it.

Misty and Kang state when A countdown is destroyed X happens. I’m guessing that a countdown expiring results in its destruction, even if it is not a specific team doing the destroying (which is what happens when it expires).

Did I solve this da Vinci code?

• entrailbucket
    edited February 2023
    Options

I have a feeling that you've just spent more time thinking about this than they have.

That's not a "look, they're terrible/dumb/out of the loop/whatever" either -- this is just the kind of thing that we're way more plugged into than 95% of other players, and I wouldn't expect them to think about it all that much.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Well I'm pretty sure they didn't go through the wording on all 400+ chars they inherited when took over, yeah.
    I'd expect them to be consistent with their own characters though.
    If both Kangs are supposed to do the same with Countdowns, they should have the same text.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Absolutely agree with that. It seems like Kang was rushed, maybe? Or maybe he's just complicated in the code in ways that aren't clear to us. Either way he needs some fixing and/or clarification.

• Daredevil217
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Well I'm pretty sure they didn't go through the wording on all 400+ chars they inherited when took over, yeah.
    I'd expect them to be consistent with their own characters though.
    If both Kangs are supposed to do the same with Countdowns, they should have the same text.

Right. And they don’t have the same text. I took the 3* into DDQ and used quicksilver to swap tiles so I could match a countdown. Destroying it that way did not net extra AP. I don’t have a blue cover for the 5* yet, but if I did the same thing (destroyed a countdown tile via matching) and and it did result in AP, then I’d assume I’m right. Expiring is a form of tile destruction the same way matching is a form of tile destruction. Not saying they are synonyms. Apple and fruit are not synonyms. Apples are one type of fruit. Matching is one form of tile destruction. Line clearing is another. And perhaps tiles expiring are another. If there’s a character that opposes this theory I’m interested.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Well, on my language strike tiles are translated literally as assault tiles, so I'm a bit used to figure it out all the things by myself :D .

• dianetics
    Options

5* Kang only benefits from destroyed tiles, and not expired tiles. This actually makes 3* better for the 3 turn cheese team. You have to get your Hawkeye big enough to eat some hits though.

• Bowgentle
    edited February 2023
    Options

@dianetics said:
    5* Kang only benefits from destroyed tiles, and not expired tiles. This actually makes 3* better for the 3 turn cheese team. You have to get your Hawkeye big enough to eat some hits though.

He doesn't, though.
    The 5* also gets blue when the tiles expire.
    That was the whole point of this discussion about the wording.
    It SAYS destroyed, but works on expire.
    Try it out.

• dianetics
    Options

I did try it out and it wasn’t working for me today. It worked on 3* but not 5* for whatever reason