The ChaHulk meta

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

MPQ PVP is an intricate soap opera which has been running for more than 9 years.
    I'd wager your IGN matching your forum name might get you hit a little bit more than other randoms.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@658_2 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    I'm really interested to see what they do too, but nerfs are always relative. The problem with Gambit (and most of the others, really) is that they took him from a 15 out of 10 down to like a 7 out of 10, while several other characters stayed in the 12 to 13 range. It felt like a huge hit even though they basically just made him average. If they make Chasm average and leave all the other overpowered guys around, it'll feel similarly huge.

Yep. I remember the old lead dev coming on here many years ago and talking briefly about nerf strategy. He made the point (essentially) that if you nerf the most used character and he’s still the most used after, what was the point? I always thought that was either cynical (let’s sell some new meta!) or the way only someone very literal minded could think. People complain about use rate, and it’s not like it’s not a factor, but Thorkoye was ubiquitous and was one of the least complained about metas for a reason (outside of that one
    guy who wanted Thor to go down).

The Chasm nerf that is obviously coming is going to be super telling about how these new devs think. I’m guessing minor adjustments, maybe even just tweaks, rather than nerf to oblivion.

People like to assume all sorts of things about the dev team, but to me it's Hanlon's Razor. If you look at the 5* tier, most of the characters are average. They're fine when not boosted and good when boosted. I'm pretty sure that's the dev team's goal. The buffs they've done have made those characters average. Most of the new characters are average.

Occasionally they make a mistake and a character is too good or too bad. The problem with the last few years is that they never addressed those mistakes, so people began to develop this cargo cult mentality and speculate about how it was all a part of some grand, overwhelming design.

I don't think it ever was and I don't think there's any reason they'd want to do things that way. They just make mistakes sometimes, and that's ok. They need to own up to mistakes and fix them, though.

• Bowgentle
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    I'm really interested to see what they do too, but nerfs are always relative. The problem with Gambit (and most of the others, really) is that they took him from a 15 out of 10 down to like a 7 out of 10, while several other characters stayed in the 12 to 13 range. It felt like a huge hit even though they basically just made him average. If they make Chasm average and leave all the other overpowered guys around, it'll feel similarly huge.

Yep. I remember the old lead dev coming on here many years ago and talking briefly about nerf strategy. He made the point (essentially) that if you nerf the most used character and he’s still the most used after, what was the point? I always thought that was either cynical (let’s sell some new meta!) or the way only someone very literal minded could think. People complain about use rate, and it’s not like it’s not a factor, but Thorkoye was ubiquitous and was one of the least complained about metas for a reason (outside of that one

The Chasm nerf that is obviously coming is going to be super telling about how these new devs think. I’m guessing minor adjustments, maybe even just tweaks, rather than nerf to oblivion.

People like to assume all sorts of things about the dev team, but to me it's Hanlon's Razor. If you look at the 5* tier, most of the characters are average. They're fine when not boosted and good when boosted. I'm pretty sure that's the dev team's goal. The buffs they've done have made those characters average. Most of the new characters are average.

Occasionally they make a mistake and a character is too good or too bad. The problem with the last few years is that they never addressed those mistakes, so people began to develop this cargo cult mentality and speculate about how it was all a part of some grand, overwhelming design.

I don't think it ever was and I don't think there's any reason they'd want to do things that way. They just make mistakes sometimes, and that's ok. They need to own up to mistakes and fix them, though.

Not "people".
    One, very vocal, Poster.
    He sees the grandiose plan behind every mistake.

• entrailbucket
    edited February 2023
    Options

@658_2 said:
    (outside of that one

(Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme)

I don't even care, I'm still right about Thor, I regret nothing!

• Bowgentle
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:
    (outside of that one

(Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme)

I don't even care, I'm still right about Thor, I regret nothing!

Which Thor now, though?
    Both of them I guess.

• entrailbucket
    Options

All of them. It's weird that Thor is perpetually the best character. When I started in 2013 it was 2* Thor, then lazy 3* Thor was really good, 4* Thor was dominant for a long time, and both 5* Thors are still top tier.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Still waiting for Thorverine 3.0
    We're due a good Wolvie eventually.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Again with this...I do not want them to "change the rules" to "optimize my roster."

There is only one rule, and that rule is "the developers can change any character they want, for any reason, at any time." They've turned the best character into the worst, and the worst into the best, many times over the years. They're in charge, not the players, and the decisions they make are arbitrary and capricious.

The only way to optimize for that "rule" is to make sure you have everyone and they're all high level. If you skip a guy, you risk them buffing him into the best character. If you go all in, you risk them nerfing him into the worst.

Minmaxing is, and has always been, a way to win in the short term, but it never pays off in the long term.

See you say this and then go on a diatribe about how you wish the game worked instead of how it has worked since the Gambit (as 5) and Worthy (as 4) nerf. So what four years? Three!? You want min maxing to not work but all the min maxers on Discord and Reddit point to their strategy being successful, since the beginning of the game, due to their top place finishes in PvE and PvP. This is the game the former developers chose to create and the current developers continue to suggest they want in their responses to questions.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    All of them. It's weird that Thor is perpetually the best character. When I started in 2013 it was 2* Thor, then lazy 3* Thor was really good, 4* Thor was dominant for a long time, and both 5* Thors are still top tier.

Thor IS the best character! That was his thing back in late 70s Avengers comic books and I guess even in the films (Infinity War especially) - team gets trashed, last page is Thor showing up to save the day! They even had one issue where Wanda even moans about it!

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Take Okoye for example - she is good at fighting and has a spear. Not much to work with. So they decided that she embodies the spirit of Wakanda and that means she gets a boost power. It would have made sense though if that boost only applied to other Wakanda characters. All of a sudden, she is not a 550 target any more. Too late now though, she is never getting nerfed.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:
    Again with this...I do not want them to "change the rules" to "optimize my roster."

There is only one rule, and that rule is "the developers can change any character they want, for any reason, at any time." They've turned the best character into the worst, and the worst into the best, many times over the years. They're in charge, not the players, and the decisions they make are arbitrary and capricious.

The only way to optimize for that "rule" is to make sure you have everyone and they're all high level. If you skip a guy, you risk them buffing him into the best character. If you go all in, you risk them nerfing him into the worst.

Minmaxing is, and has always been, a way to win in the short term, but it never pays off in the long term.

See you say this and then go on a diatribe about how you wish the game worked instead of how it has worked since the Gambit (as 5) and Worthy (as 4) nerf. So what four years? Three!? You want min maxing to not work but all the min maxers on Discord and Reddit point to their strategy being successful, since the beginning of the game, due to their top place finishes in PvE and PvP. This is the game the former developers chose to create and the current developers continue to suggest they want in their responses to questions.

Minmaxing has always been a bad idea, because the minmaxer is not in control of the game (unless you think the devs should "adapt the game to their rosters," hmmmm???) and has no alternative options if their one guy gets killed.

You know who you're NOT hearing from, on Discord and Reddit? All the players who maxed out Gambit, or OML, or xforce/4thor, who had no other options and literally quit the game because they couldn't play it after those nerfs. Minmaxing has been a bad idea since day 1, it's only in the last few years that it's worked at all, and only because they haven't bothered to fix their mistakes.

I don't "not want it to work," it simply hasn't consistently worked, and it's unlikely to do so in the future. I don't know why nobody has bothered to learn from the past and is so eager to get destroyed by a nerf again. I do know that I'm really going to enjoy fighting those players post-nerf, because I'm prepared for it and they chose not to prepare.

There is no evidence that any dev team encourages players to go all in on their mistakes, and in fact there's quite a lot of evidence that the intention is for all characters to be about the same, and for players to keep a diverse roster.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Take Okoye for example - she is good at fighting and has a spear. Not much to work with. So they decided that she embodies the spirit of Wakanda and that means she gets a boost power. It would have made sense though if that boost only applied to other Wakanda characters. All of a sudden, she is not a 550 target any more. Too late now though, she is never getting nerfed.

Okoye is a fantastic, thematic, balanced and fun character in a game where you have to match tiles and cast stuff to do damage. If you have to choose between matching colored tiles to cast powers or team-up tiles to boost powers, you have to match carefully and consider what you're doing.

Unfortunately, by the time Okoye was released, the game had one guy who didn't have to match tiles to cast his powers, and then they introduced another guy who didn't have to do anything at all to do free AOE damage, and well...we see how that went.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Okoye is a fantastic, thematic, balanced and fun character in a game where you have to match tiles and cast stuff to do damage. If you have to choose between matching colored tiles to cast powers or team-up tiles to boost powers, you have to match carefully and consider what you're doing.

Unfortunately, by the time Okoye was released, the game had one guy who didn't have to match tiles to cast his powers, and then they introduced another guy who didn't have to do anything at all to do free AOE damage, and well...we see how that went.

She is not thematic. Not even close. If she had thematic powers she would not buff every other character and she certainly would not heal. Those were game decisions not character based ones.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:

Minmaxing has always been a bad idea, because the minmaxer is not in control of the game (unless you think the devs should "adapt the game to their rosters," hmmmm???) and has no alternative options if their one guy gets killed.

You know who you're NOT hearing from, on Discord and Reddit? All the players who maxed out Gambit, or OML, or xforce/4thor, who had no other options and literally quit the game because they couldn't play it after those nerfs. Minmaxing has been a bad idea since day 1, it's only in the last few years that it's worked at all, and only because they haven't bothered to fix their mistakes.

I don't "not want it to work," it simply hasn't consistently worked, and it's unlikely to do so in the future. I don't know why nobody has bothered to learn from the past and is so eager to get destroyed by a nerf again. I do know that I'm really going to enjoy fighting those players post-nerf, because I'm prepared for it and they chose not to prepare.

There is no evidence that any dev team encourages players to go all in on their mistakes, and in fact there's quite a lot of evidence that the intention is for all characters to be about the same, and for players to keep a diverse roster.

Hasn't Okoye been featured in like a record amount of special stores and vaults? If that isn't encouraging players to chase her I don't know what is. Interestingly I don't recall Chasm having such wide level of availability to rack up levels. I could be wrong - anyone know? All of this of course just distracts us from the Devs overall master plan - 550 Dr. Strange for all.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:

Hasn't Okoye been featured in like a record amount of special stores and vaults? If that isn't encouraging players to chase her I don't know what is. Interestingly I don't recall Chasm having such wide level of availability to rack up levels. I could be wrong - anyone know? All of this of course just distracts us from the Devs overall master plan - 550 Dr. Strange for all.

I don't know about that one, I think she tends to win one slot in the polls, but not every time? She was just in the red envelope vault thing too, because she has a red costume. Dr Strange is in way more stuff than she is.

On her design -- it's just, like, a strategy/team spirit thing, she's a general after all. But she also fights on the front lines, so she wants to tank. I don't think it's a crazy concept for that character.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    MPQ PVP is an intricate soap opera which has been running for more than 9 years.
    I'd wager your IGN matching your forum name might get you hit a little bit more than other randoms.

Perhaps for that reason I think MPQ is a skilled game. I feel sorry for your boring pvp experience, I guess.

I don't think devs are encouraging nothing. They want to sell so they put the characters people want.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair, but I'd wish BCS had being in charge since the start of the game.
    Imo they are doing great although they are carrying previous burdens which nobody wanted to address.

• Bowgentle
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:

Chasm was in Latest for like, 84 years.

• Bowgentle
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Bad said:

@Bowgentle said:

Perhaps for that reason I think MPQ is a skilled game. I feel sorry for your boring pvp experience, I guess.

I don't think devs are encouraging nothing. They want to sell so they put the characters people want.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair, but I'd wish BCS had being in charge since the start of the game.
    Imo they are doing great although they are carrying previous burdens which nobody wanted to address.

PVP always has been a necessary evil to me, a means to get rewards I need to improve my roster, so the easiest 1200+ is what I take.
    S1 has always been home and has been providing that forever.
    I get enough excitement from hopping, no need to make Climbing anymore annoying than it already is.
    PVE is where the excitement lies, seeing how I can shave another 30 seconds off opening grind, trying out suggested teams to see if they're a nuance faster.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:

I don't know about that one, I think she tends to win one slot in the polls, but not every time? She was just in the red envelope vault thing too, because she has a red costume. Dr Strange is in way more stuff than she is.

On her design -- it's just, like, a strategy/team spirit thing, she's a general after all. But she also fights on the front lines, so she wants to tank. I don't think it's a crazy concept for that character.

Yes, for Wakanda. Wakanda Forever. There is no mention of anything other than Wakanda, a secretive African nation that shuns outsiders!

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:

@entrailbucket said:

Chasm was in Latest for like, 84 years.

Oh he had a longer than normal run? Didn't realise that. Okoye just seems to stand out to me. She is always in the Lunar vault. She has been featured in plenty fan favourite stores and bundles. I might just not be remembering Chasm being as available.