Polaris has ruined PVP???

Options

Comments

• McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Arks said:
    pook0203 said:
    I have gotten to where I don't even care to participate in PVP anymore mainly because of how cowardly people are

blah blah

I ain't on no cry baby **** or whining two birds
    Makes a throwaway account to insult people who beat him with a low HP 4 star that can be countered. Much courage.
    Insulting people that beat you legitimately is the height of being a cry baby. Stop pvping if it affects you so much.
    brilliant find.  poster did not return to forum.  poster is someone else on forum watching comments
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TC has such bravery and such cowardice at the same time.

I thought similarly to TC when I was in 4star land. My first champs were something like Kate Bishop, Rogue and MeH. Soo Many Teams were gam4ra, R4g, Medusa. Or that combination with Peggy instead of Medusa.

It was quite annoying. But I could still place higher than using champed 3s, or low covered 4s with champed 3s.

My review on the app store expresses my dislike of how the PVP system is. The way opponents are found and presented to you, and when you go past your float point you end up having to hop incredibly quickly in order to gain points overall. Unless you use a battle chat, or plan it out very carefully it doesn't work. I get where TC is coming from, but don't approve of the way they said it.  

My alt account has just a few 4s champed. Medusa, Karnak, C4rnage and Polaris. Climbing until 600 points is very easy using polaris and a unchamped r4g.  

Part of me hopes I have hit TC a few times in my last hour climbs. But seeing as they mentioned champed 5s, I guess I haven't.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The good thing about predictions is that they either come true or they don't. 

Based on what I've seen in many years of playing this game and watching the meta evolve, I predict that Polaris is headed for a nerf.  I base this prediction on her overall power level, the amount that she's used, and the devs' obvious attempts to address her with counters.  This parallels what's happened with previous characters who were nerfed.   

I might be wrong!  I actually hope I am!  If she's nerfed that is bad for me, because I won't be able to earn a lot of points by repeatedly attacking super weak 4* teams in PvP.

You might disagree with this prediction!  That's great!  We'll all get to find out what actually happens.
    You were basing your “prediction” on usage stats. Because Morbius IS a hard counter for Polaris and hasn’t impacted her usage. 

You are basing your theory on being a wise elder who has seen trends over the course of the game. Yet you ignore the YEARS of usage dominance by Grocket, Strange, Okoye. Oh wait… you think Okoye is getting nerfed TOO now YEARS later if Wanda doesn’t impact usage? That tells me all I need to know. 
    “Predictions” are fine. But I will point out when one cherry picks history. 
    I guess...we'll all get to find out what actually happens? 

I'm a little confused about what's going on here.  If you don't think Polaris (or Okoye, or anyone else) is getting changed, why would you care about what anyone else thinks, especially someone who's so obviously wrong?
    I told you why in my last sentence. 

And I don’t think you’re “so obviously wrong” about her being nerfed one day. They could nerf anyone for any reason. I’m just saying your logic is wrong if you cherry pick examples that fit your argument but ignore the most overused characters in each tier and how they haven’t been touched despite their years of dominance. Even if she does get nerfed, that likely won’t be the reason. 
    Morbius doesn’t mean a nerf is coming. It means the developers are smart. I know many people who are making Morbius their next 370 project. Since everyone is playing Polaris in the 4* tier and are moving towards max-champing her. What kind of character would generate the most buzz/interest from the player base? What kind of character would people want to chase once they max Polaris? How about some Scissors to go with that Paper?? That’s exactly what the developers gave us. It’s smart business and not indicative that Polaris is a problem. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The good thing about predictions is that they either come true or they don't. 

Based on what I've seen in many years of playing this game and watching the meta evolve, I predict that Polaris is headed for a nerf.  I base this prediction on her overall power level, the amount that she's used, and the devs' obvious attempts to address her with counters.  This parallels what's happened with previous characters who were nerfed.   

I might be wrong!  I actually hope I am!  If she's nerfed that is bad for me, because I won't be able to earn a lot of points by repeatedly attacking super weak 4* teams in PvP.

You might disagree with this prediction!  That's great!  We'll all get to find out what actually happens.
    You were basing your “prediction” on usage stats. Because Morbius IS a hard counter for Polaris and hasn’t impacted her usage. 

You are basing your theory on being a wise elder who has seen trends over the course of the game. Yet you ignore the YEARS of usage dominance by Grocket, Strange, Okoye. Oh wait… you think Okoye is getting nerfed TOO now YEARS later if Wanda doesn’t impact usage? That tells me all I need to know. 
    “Predictions” are fine. But I will point out when one cherry picks history. 
    I guess...we'll all get to find out what actually happens? 

I'm a little confused about what's going on here.  If you don't think Polaris (or Okoye, or anyone else) is getting changed, why would you care about what anyone else thinks, especially someone who's so obviously wrong?
    I told you why in my last sentence. 

And I don’t think you’re “so obviously wrong” about her being nerfed one day. They could nerf anyone for any reason. I’m just saying your logic is wrong if you cherry pick examples that fit your argument but ignore the most overused characters in each tier and how they haven’t been touched despite their years of dominance. Even if she does get nerfed, that likely won’t be the reason. 
    Morbius doesn’t mean a nerf is coming. It means the developers are smart. I know many people who are making Morbius their next 370 project. Since everyone is playing Polaris in the 4* tier and are moving towards max-champing her. What kind of character would generate the most buzz/interest from the player base? What kind of character would people want to chase once they max Polaris? How about some Scissors to go with that Paper?? That’s exactly what the developers gave us. It’s smart business and not indicative that Polaris is a problem. 
    This sounds like...a prediction.  Unless you've got some inside information on their plans, everyone is just speculating based on past behavior.

I guess we'll all get to find out what actually happens!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The game just needs a 4* with a passive ability to disable enemy passive powers as long as a certain condition has been met so it doesn't become completely OP. Something like tile fortification where the character starts the game with a fortified tile and just as long as it's on the board enemy passives are disabled. That would cripple so many characters like Polaris, Okoye, iHulk, 5witch, Colossus, Chavez, Prof $, Half Thor, 5trange, Medusa, Kitty and more.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    shardwick said:
    The game just needs a 4* with a passive ability to disable enemy passive powers as long as a certain condition has been met so it doesn't become completely OP. Something like tile fortification where the character starts the game with a fortified tile and just as long as it's on the board enemy passives are disabled. That would cripple so many characters like Polaris, Okoye, iHulk, 5witch, Colossus, Chavez, Prof $, Half Thor, 5trange, Medusa, Kitty and more.

A passive that disabled passives would be vastly OP.  For example all goon AP generation comes via passive so such an ability would break PvE with goons. Even XMen vs Apoc boss event would be ruined because Apoc's heal and AP destruction are all passive. Then it would totally over power so many other characters who aren't even close to meta (ie would disable healing by Wolverines, Dakens, X-23s and Phoenix rising from ashes and so on).
    Then what happens when 2 such characters play against each other. Are both teams passives disabled or does my passive disable your passive because I went first :smile: .
    I imagine it would be a nightmare of coding to attempt such a thing and we'd all be asking for a nerf of it immediately because it is so OP.
    Stunning is the time honored way to disable passives.
    KGB
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    Options
    If we're talking Polaris nerfs, my thought would be to limit her Purple ability somewhat.

(as is: (PASSIVE) Polaris harnesses the electromagnetic energy and metal around her. Whenever your team matches or destroys a Strike, Attack, or Protect tile, deal 25 damage and create 2 friendly special tiles of that tile's type, each with strength 27. )

Some suggestions:
    1. Change "your team" with "Polaris". Make it character specific like Juggernaut's Collateral Damage. Then it's only her icon matches that would count for her ability.

2. Add either "friendly" or "enemy" before the word "Strike." Either one is fine with me, but my preference would be "enemy." It's a small tweak that would change how you play her, I think, and who you bring her with and against.

I don't think either of these suggestions change the spirit of the ability, just limit it somewhat. But that's assuming the developers do anything at all with her. Maybe they won't, I dunno. And maybe these suggestions are way off base, or aren't enough. You guys would have a better idea than me on that. Either way, I guess we'll see. :)

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Players always start first. So, players will always have an advantage. For example, 
    If you were using R4G against Carbage, he will help you to make a move instead of creating attack tiles for you. However, if you are using Carbage against R4G, you will create attack tiles for the opponents.

I'm curious what's the fascination with wanting to shut down all passive abilities of opponents. Maybe the dev can create a PvP where characters with at least one passive ability will be locked out. This can be hard coded into the game after filtering out those characters.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

I'm curious what's the fascination with wanting to shut down all passive abilities of opponents. 
    That one's easy!  A character can't actually be good without at least one top-tier passive ability. 

Passives make the game much more predictable because they don't depend on board state as much (ie your guy has a great active blue power but you can't cast it because there are no blue matches). 

They're faster because they don't require building up AP in a color, and speed kills in every format. 

In a lot of cases passives have become so strong that you can just do something else while the game is playing itself in between moves, which is attractive to players who want to do other things.

Lastly they can be used effectively by the AI on defense so they provide some deterrence.  Players want to be able to put out a strong defensive team for themselves, but don't actually want to fight against other players' strong defensive teams, which is why they would like a guy to shut all passives off. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's only fair that everyone's passives get shut off. The AI is already pretty dumb, except when they get some lucky cascades. So, please work on a PvP that lock out all characters with at least 1 passive. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    shardwick said:

A passive that disabled passives would be vastly OP.  For example all goon AP generation comes via passive so such an ability would break PvE with goons. Even XMen vs Apoc boss event would be ruined because Apoc's heal and AP destruction are all passive. Then it would totally over power so many other characters who aren't even close to meta (ie would disable healing by Wolverines, Dakens, X-23s and Phoenix rising from ashes and so on).
    Then what happens when 2 such characters play against each other. Are both teams passives disabled or does my passive disable your passive because I went first :smile: .
    I imagine it would be a nightmare of coding to attempt such a thing and we'd all be asking for a nerf of it immediately because it is so OP.
    KGB
    I'm not sure why you went on a big rant when I clearly said that I wanted the ability to have a condition that was met so that it wouldn't be OP. Also, are people begging for a nerf of 5* Thanos' purple because it shuts down a lot of abilities when its countdown is on the board? Something similar could be done for passive abilities. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Experiment with it as a new off-season gimmick PVP event.

No Passives Allowed.

See what happens...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Make Thano5's purple power a passive. Have it work like Medusa's passivewhere it takes a turn to regenerate once it zeroes out unless it was removed by a match or destruction before your turn-start.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You could probably create a passive that prevents passives that deal dmg on their own. That wouldn't break the goons, since they drop CDs. It would still be OP as heck and I should add that I'm against it. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    KGB said:
    shardwick said:

KGB
    I'm not sure why you went on a big rant when I clearly said that I wanted the ability to have a condition that was met so that it wouldn't be OP. Also, are people begging for a nerf of 5* Thanos' purple because it shuts down a lot of abilities when its countdown is on the board? Something similar could be done for passive abilities. 

The reason no one cares about Thanos' purple is that he's usually dead before it comes into play. Its not a great example for your argument, because it isn't a true hard counter. A true hard counter to a power that has no conditions is another power that also has no conditions.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    You could do a power like Checkov's Gun that's a special case matchable tile that drops at battle start, and does or doesn't regenerate after it gets matched away. I don't think a power that blocks passives with no way to lift the condition is going to work out well, but tying it to something a player has agency to remove seems plausible. In fact I like using Thano5's power for this because it really prevents board manipulation only. So Hulk can't create more green, but if there is already enough green he'll still do the damage for instance.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I think everyone would absolutely hate this in practice.  It'd be nice if *you* had a guy that shut off enemy passives, but remember, if he existed, you'd have to fight him, and he'd disable your passives too. 

I don't think anybody wants to go back to a game where you have to actually match tiles and cast powers to win -- it'd almost be a completely different game at this point.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    But now we have this rad new match damage meta right?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    But now we have this rad new match damage meta right?
    Mr Passive Disabler would shut off all the match-damage-boosting stuff though, because they're all passives.  I guess he wouldn't affect the crazy lvl600+ boosted 5* match damage, but nobody actually has those guys.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I don't think disabling passives outright is the answer, I still think Thano5's purple should just itself be a passive