New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Motren said:
    This dev team is almost certainly very small, and working with very limited resources. I think it's a mistake to assume every game you play has an army of people behind it, particularly a free to play mobile game of this vintage, so I find it highly unlikely there is room in the budget for specialty consultants or user focus groups when you're feeding the content furnace as often as this game is. I don't know if they are, but you could keep this game going with a full time designer and a full time engineer, with a contract artist and a shared QA asset if your tools are good. I've known personally late stage F2P games that were being maintained by a single full time designer. And again I'd like to be very clear I don't know anyone at this studio working on this game, just saying that this is how the sausage is made generally. So really I'm just advocating for a little grace for them, I am sure they are doing the best they're able.

I'm sure that walking back a change like this one is going to be non-trivial, but I'm also sure enough people are reporting health reactions to this that they will definitely have to address at least the screen dimming. I'm sympathetic (but I also as a player would like this problem addressed lol). 
    Limited resources? Are u joking? With all the money they gain from players, they have enough to use to make something decent on the game. Anyway, money or not, health is the most important thing, they showed us they didn't even think to player's health, the incompetence was so high that not 1 in the team supposed that could be dangerous a change like this, OMG, not 1 that was able to imagine. And also, u want to tell me that inserting a warning before opening the game was costing too much? U speaking of limited resources when was enough that devs put into this thing only little attention and nothing else. Maybe u think money are essential but be sure this is not the case. Many things are possible to do just using ur damn own brain correctly and with responsability. Now tell me what could happen if someone cause of the game gets an epileptic episode fall and hurts his head and must go at the hospital? Incompetence, disinterest, not enough money, bad or good intentions, doesn't matter... It Will be d3's fault. There is no justification
    I would like to respectfully argue that your statements are not completely fair. Starting at the top, the amount of money players spend is not the only variable utilized in determining profit. Profit and Loss (PNL or P&L) statements detail various expenses and revenue streams. Player purchases are merely a revenue stream. If the game brings in $1,000,000 per year, but expenses equate to $999,000 per year, that only leaves $1,000 profit for the entire year. In most developed countries, $1,000 in profits per year is not good. If we are honest with ourselves, we do not and can not know this company's revenue and expenses. We should not assume that revenue equals wealth and, therefore, buying power.

To your second point, it has been identified that common sense is not common. To many of us, it makes sense that if you alter the color or physical appearance of two objects that you can really screw with people who have vision-related disabilities. However, if you grew up in a perfect little community where no one had visual impairments of any sort, the thought would never cross your mind. It doesn't become common sense to you until you are exposed. An IRL example of this is the racist sink. Those wonderful hands-free sinks you see in many establishments only worked for people with lighter skin tones such as whites and lighter-skinned African-Americans. It so happens that the sinks or the people who made them weren't racist. The engineers just simply forgot to test their product on darker-skinned folk. In this case, devs (of which none are probably epileptic or color-blind) tested the product amongst themselves and thought "it works". Unfortunately, much of the world has yet to catch up with those with disabilities. As a result, we are still redesigning sidewalks, street lights, entryways, etc. Should devs have taken those people in consideration? Yes. Did they? No. Are they meanies who only want to see the world's eyes burn because of this? No. They're human beings who made a mistake (ok, a few health affecting mistakes).

I get where you're coming from. I really do. We want to believe that anyone who does anything less than good is a bad person or just doesn't care. Your statement was very aggressive and absolutist, but does that make you a bad person? No. Just another human being who is passionate about this little form of entertainment.
  • Jacknife
    Jacknife Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Untill these day all patches was good or better than the good. This time it was terrible. Im afraid of something that is developers change somethings and make new patch. But it wont helpful for me. I want odl style back.

It wouldnt be last too long that remove new patch. What I undestand now? They still impose somethings new to us.
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks to the links Chameleon posted I'm now sitting here dreaming about getting a new version in maybe two weeks where I can switch off darkening and I can switch off all kinds of flashing.
    This are the two main points causing headaches I think but I'm aware that other people, e.g. color-blind ones, might need other changes - so let's dream of a color scheme or tile scheme button too :-)
    Until then I will try to hold out by playing less and only in bright surroundings.
    And I hope I will not wake up too hard when I first play-test the new version.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    This was the most recent high profile game reaction I’m aware of - the Cyberpunk 2077 Un-skippable brain dance cinematic that was intentionally design along the lines of a medical seizure inducer for some reason: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/12/31/cyberpunk-2077-seizure/
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As usual, hyperbole running amok. The dev has survived a lot of "crucifixions" in the past seven years and they are still going strong. 

After a week of playing, I'm accustomed to the changes and I'm not playing in dark or dimmed environment to avoid or reduce the effect of dimming during enemy's turn.

The effects of the changes on colourblind people and people who suffer from epilepsy are unfortunate. The best thing thing they can do is to stop playing for their health sake, and maybe come back after 3rd April to see if the changes reduce or remove those undesirable experiences. 15 days to go.
  • UNSHMD
    UNSHMD Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is simply not enough. This just looks to me that they don’t really want to make changes. First let’s push it in a future not too close, see if the storm calms, second let’s do as little changes as possible and again let’s see what happens. I still detest and bug by the other recent ui changes, but whether it takes me 2 minutes or 15 minutes to find or do what i wanted to do doesn’t matter much, but it it takes me 40-60 seconds per pvp match or 2 minutes per match it has tremendous effect. Why can’t you just admit this ui thing was a big mistake scrap it revert to the old one and move on. When i started playing this game and the polls they were taking i was like wow a game that care about its user, I’m not so sure anymore, looks more like every 6 months or so they ran out of ideas snd just come fishing for some in our pond
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    As usual, hyperbole running amok. The dev has survived a lot of "crucifixions" in the past seven years and they are still going strong. 

After a week of playing, I'm accustomed to the changes and I'm not playing in dark or dimmed environment to avoid or reduce the effect of dimming during enemy's turn.

The effects of the changes on colourblind people and people who suffer from epilepsy are unfortunate. The best thing thing they can do is to stop playing for their health sake, and maybe come back after 3rd April to see if the changes reduce or remove those undesirable experiences. 15 days to go.
    I too want to defend the developer team.  Also want to get paid same amount as others to hold up shield wall on attacks against them.  How to apply for benefit?

realz though, players should no change house around to play phone game.   

sample :  Phone game too dark.  Do not play inside or at night.  Play only during sunshine weather outside
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My hyperbole comment was not targeted at those players who are suffering from the effect of the change, but those calling for the dev team to be fired or cruficified.

I have a simple equation: health > virtual rewards. Besides that, based on the dev response and given timeline, it's highly unlikely that the dev is going to bring back the old board. Also, rolling back changes has been ruled out. They have 5 days to decide and they decided not to roll back the change. Based on the above reasons, it's a logical decision for those group of players to stop playing because of health.

The dev has already pre-empted the players since last year that they are going to work on UI. They also stated the reason for doing so and if I remember correctly, it's because the game has been around for 7 years and they think it's time to put on a coat of fresh paint. Just because players on the forums didn't ask for this change doesn't mean no one else ask for it. Also, there isn't any game developer who implement 100% of what their players want. They will still implement stuff that they want. This is their creation afterall. 

• UNSHMD
    UNSHMD Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    They think it needs a fresh coat of paint but we said no it doesn’t it’s perfect like that we are the one playing the game i think we’d know, we are on the field they are not we’ve been playing it for seven years they haven’t no need to fix what ain’t broken. All the cheating going on for ages that need be fix, that’s what we want them to address.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options

If the owner of the best restaurant in town occasionally punched you in the face instead of bringing your food
    That made my day. „Sloppy Joe‘s - We pack a punch“. „Come for the food, stay for the stitches in our restroom“. „MpqDonald‘s - I‘m getting punched for it“.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another time we are talking about a game hurting users.
    You can say I dont like this update/ I have problems playing it. That is a perfect valid opinion/experience. 
    Saying this is a game hurting users is absolutely false in the very moment I can say in my personal experience and like others users said we dont have any problem playing it. 
    The sentence closer to the truth is this game has a lot of users who never miss a chance to hurt it.
    And dont forget to say thanks to the speed hackers. Possibly because of them we have this update that personally Im not a fan too.
    And possibly for that devs wont revert the old board. Just saying.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I also haven’t seen one comment or shred of hysteria in my entire alliance. All 20 played the event quickly , successfully in higher scores than ever to complete rewards . I think the FEW entitled people who basically just use the forum to rage about “ players are dying by the thousands!!” have no concept how insignificant this update was to I estimate 99% of the player base .