New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Theghouse said:
    Finishing the last PvE with the exact same score as the last time I played it , my placement went from 137th to 179th, so I don’t see any drop off in the player base and it appears to be even more competitive. Players are playing more and achieving higher scores . There will always be the large hater crowd in the forum , but even as a small child I had the basic common sense to know , if I rode the merry go round and i knew it made me nauseous , I DIDN’T RIDE IT!  There were hundreds of other rides I could enjoy at the park without jeopardizing my health . I didn’t whine to the ride operator if he could please slow the ride to 1 mile an hour so I could enjoy it myself at the disappointment of every other person on the ride .
    All your last two posts have proved is that you don't understand bracket flips.  Assuming casual players who had issues would be the first to walk away from the game where more invested players would try to struggle through any difficulties, less players means less flips and a higher ratio of serious to casual players in a smaller number of brackets means everybody has to try harder to place higher.
    To be fair, understanding bracket flips would require studying something other than the mirror...
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't think that engagement stats will tell the whole truth. In my alliance nobody stopped playing. Like me they just try to hold out, adapting the play style and hoping it to be only for a few days. I don't look for the best move but for any, closing my eyes often, take a break after a few minutes, etc. This is a way to make it bearable for a while.
    However in the long run it means I stop playing competitive and as a consequence I will stop paying my VIP after more than 3 years if not at least the playfield darkening issue is fixed until renewal is due.
    I'll be glad to be back on full the moment the game becomes fully playable again.
  • Motren
    Motren Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This dev team is almost certainly very small, and working with very limited resources. I think it's a mistake to assume every game you play has an army of people behind it, particularly a free to play mobile game of this vintage, so I find it highly unlikely there is room in the budget for specialty consultants or user focus groups when you're feeding the content furnace as often as this game is. I don't know if they are, but you could keep this game going with a full time designer and a full time engineer, with a contract artist and a shared QA asset if your tools are good. I've known personally late stage F2P games that were being maintained by a single full time designer. And again I'd like to be very clear I don't know anyone at this studio working on this game, just saying that this is how the sausage is made generally. So really I'm just advocating for a little grace for them, I am sure they are doing the best they're able.

I'm sure that walking back a change like this one is going to be non-trivial, but I'm also sure enough people are reporting health reactions to this that they will definitely have to address at least the screen dimming. I'm sympathetic (but I also as a player would like this problem addressed lol). 
    Limited resources? Are u joking? With all the money they gain from players, they have enough to use to make something decent on the game. Anyway, money or not, health is the most important thing, they showed us they didn't even think to player's health, the incompetence was so high that not 1 in the team supposed that could be dangerous a change like this, OMG, not 1 that was able to imagine. And also, u want to tell me that inserting a warning before opening the game was costing too much? U speaking of limited resources when was enough that devs put into this thing only little attention and nothing else. Maybe u think money are essential but be sure this is not the case. Many things are possible to do just using ur damn own brain correctly and with responsability. Now tell me what could happen if someone cause of the game gets an epileptic episode fall and hurts his head and must go at the hospital? Incompetence, disinterest, not enough money, bad or good intentions, doesn't matter... It Will be d3's fault. There is no justification
  • Valuk
    Valuk Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Also have no vision problems, and don't get headaches from this - but it just looks... worse? It's harder to see the special tiles, harder to see the different colours, overall more drab and dreary where it used to be bright and colourful. Makes the game less enjoyable - and obviously the fact that it's much worse for some people means it definitely needs changing.

Having said that, I'd wager it pretty likely that an alternative board UI be made available soon. They've made enough of a change that we might not get the old one back, but a brighter version and no dimming shouldn't be hard? Then I just hope the tile differentiation is clear enough!
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pheregas said:
    supergarv said:
    Kwahder said:
    sweegy said:
    I'm confident they'll fix it, but I'm guessing Tuesday the earliest. 
    This is almost certainly correct. Apparently, Apple will only let you push one update a week. If that’s true, there can’t be a fix before Tuesday.
    Not exactly true. They don‘t officially limit the number of updates per week, but their review process can take some time and will take longer if you „spam“ them.

Apart there‘s an „expedited review“ you can request in certain conditions: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/

Pretty sure the current situation would warrant an emergency patch like this, when health hazards are apparent. 
    I seem to recall an expedited required update when LT's were giving 50% 5* returns.  Or something.  Some crazy stuff has gone down in this game over the years.

There has been more than a few times they did a push. Here are the ones that I can remember.

$2 for 7CP....*don't go down this rabbit hole...don't go down this rabbit hole... don't go down this rabbit hole*

25% LT drop rate, 2 different times.

4* Starlord less than 24 hours Winfinate

4* Cage screen shake, which was fixed within 48-72hrs.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/52120/board-shaking-please-stop/p1

Perhaps whatever would need to be changed requires an actual update, rather than a simple data push.  After all, this went live with the update; it wasn’t a case of something being updated in the background and then going live at a particular time. 

And perhaps (further), they don’t know exactly what to do to fix it, since this obviously caught them quite flat-footed. I mean, I got an actual email from them
    touting this change. And since the release notes prominently mention the UI change, this is also one of the first things you see mentioned, at least on the Apple App Store.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,977 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    The only way to untangle this is for the devs to look at player engagement and see what the drop looks like.  If you're "toughing through" this update despite suffering migraines or seizures, you're still engaging with the game and throwing off those metrics.
    What if you're having a family member play for you?  I've written it out to ask CS if this is ok under the ToS.  I don't want my alliance to suffer.
    Obviously I can't speak to their specific metrics or how they make decisions internally, but I've been around this community for a very long time and I've seen a lot of changes and player reactions to those changes. 

Almost every change they've ever made has been met with overwhelmingly negative feedback from players.  I can think of maybe one or two times that a change like this was reverted, so it seems clear at this point that they're not paying much attention to written player feedback.

That said, every thread like this includes a ton of players who say "I'm never playing again/spending again unless this is changed," and then those same players continue to turn up in brackets and in buyclubs for years.  So it's possible that the devs view overwhelmingly negative feedback as something that happens after every change but never affects their bottom line.
  • Red_Rooster23
    Red_Rooster23 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I tried to play late last night in a very dark bedroom and the blue and green tiles are virtually indistinguishable from one another when you have Apple's Night Shift on and the brightness turned down low. It felt as if I had developed sudden colorblindness. This was not an issue with the original tile colors and shapes.

My biggest issue with the new UI update is thematic: These new colors do not reflect the Marvel Universe at all. They are dark, dull, drab, and just plain unpleasant to look at. Marvel is all big, bold primary colors, but it feels like the team was trying to turn this into a DC tile-matching game.

On the basic usability front, the entire playing screen overall is far too dark--even at full brightness it feels like I'm looking at the game through a tinted window. Certain things like charged tiles or "ready" hero powers are also far too subtle to clearly read now.

I could get used to the new shape of the board and tiles, but these color scheme and brightness issues are game-breaking.
    Last night I found that also the red and purple tiles cannot be distinguished in low light conditions. They look virtually identical when the same hero controls both. The whole game board in fact just kind of smears together.

Enemy special tiles are basically invisible now that they are colored black.

Again, the old UI handled low light perfectly fine with no issues.

This update is just the gift that keeps on giving...
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Btw, is there any goverment agency that supervises and sanctions games that are hurting users? If i recall a pokemon game that caused seizures had to be retired from the market else incurring in several legal demands from users some years ago...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That pokemon episode really induced epilepsy as a well know cause on multiple flashes.
    That this game is hurting users is yet to be proved by medical experts, as many other games use darkening screens wich never induce epilepsy. 
    Against medical experts the argument "I have colorblind issues and you not, so just shup up" it doesnt work anymore. 
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Polares said:
    I find INCREDIBLY that we still have had not communication from Devs, acknowledging all the health issues with an ETA for a fix. This is just pathetic. This is a new low for this game.

PS: And for those people that say that Apple or Google are the problem, another game I play released a patch the same day as MPQ, they also broke something, and today we already (Friday) have an update. So it is not Apple or Google, it is these guys.

Edit: Of course the announcement came just after my post....
    April 4th, devs?? https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=news&f=upcoming-gameboard-fixes-3-19-21&l=en

What game is that?  Maybe we should be throwing our support behind it instead of MPQ.
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bad said:
    That pokemon episode really induced epilepsy as a well know cause on multiple flashes.
    That this game is hurting users is yet to be proved by medical experts, as many other games use darkening screens wich never induce epilepsy. 
    Against medical experts the argument "I have colorblind issues and you not, so just shup up" it doesnt work anymore. 
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84797/what-causes-the-new-board-migraines-and-how-to-cope

It isn't just the darkening, though removing it could go a ways toward improving this literal headache.  Why do we need medical experts?  Want each of us to provide a doctor's note?  That's going to get costly fast!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,930 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    **Mod note: Removed a few posts as the discussion was heading into an inappropriate direction. Please keep the discussion on topic and remember to be civil with each other. Thank you.