New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Its difficult to go against the Holy Rage Mode of the New-Found-Best-Community-Members-Game-Inquisitors with 20 posts atacking anyone. 
    I only hope when this issue will be fixed, you stay here providing feedback to try to make a better game like many of us we usually do, including roadwarrior.
    I do think too this thread is toxic but like always when there is any change and it appears people seeming to enjoy the situation. 
    I have been playing my same amount of hours without any problem. I dont have any type of colorblind but I am confident the issue will be fixed. It is needed time for that. 
    Lets be patient, rational and mature.
    Yea! And those posters who just joined a year and 3 months ago with less than 730 posts!! What's the bar set at to where your voice is important?

It is nice to see Bad take a break from his ban ihulk from mpq crusade.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,975 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    merb713 said:
    merb713 said:
    To the people saying "if you don't like the update, just leave":
    Why should we have to leave? This is a game many of us have played for years, spending time and money. This isn't showing up and complaining about what exists. It's like showing up to your favorite hangout and discovering that they've installed 24/7 alarm clocks going off, but since the staff all wear noise-cancelling headphones they don't see the problem.
    Yes, there are lots of games out there. I have played them. I like this game. And I would like to continue to play this game. I'm not currently playing it, and I'm missing my resupply (2120 is my next) and everything, because the changes are physically painful to me. 
    Newer players (I'm day 2702) may not be familiar with the general discourse around this game, from the very beginning.  If you enjoy this game, you are a member of a very very small group of veteran players who still like to play it.  The rest of them continue to play for unknown reasons (sunk cost fallacy?), poison any conversation with their constant negativity, and react to any change, big or small, as if it's the end of the world. 

This is why many of us would like for those players to go away.  They make it virtually impossible to assess whether a change is good or bad -- after literally any change, the feedback is a torrent of overwhelming negativity, from roughly the same group of players, who threaten to quit but ultimately never do.

These are the ones who need to go, not the folks who legitimately enjoy the game, occasionally offer positive feedback, and don't immediately hate any change.

I legitimately enjoy the game. It's one of two that I play with any regularity.
    I also can't play right now because the new interface makes it physically painful for me to do so. And reading though the comments here, it's cause other people to have migraines and seizures.  There is a distinct difference between "I don't like the color scheme" and "this is hazardous to my health." We're not complaining about a change in paint, we're objecting that the ramp has been replaced by steep stairs.
    From your comment, I'm unclear if you think that those of us who are explaining the disability issues with the update (things that would not pass a 508 compliance check if this were a government product) are "the ones who need to go".
    I am *not* saying those players need to go away forever.  The problem is that players who don't like the color scheme are being encouraged (via other apps/forums) to report that it's causing them health issues, in a campaign to undo a change they simply don't like.

That's why I suggested staying away from the game until an update is made.  Legitimate feedback about the stairs is being mixed in with feedback about the paint scheme, and some players who could go up the stairs are claiming they can't (then going up them anyway) because they're upset about the paint.

The only way to untangle this is for the devs to look at player engagement and see what the drop looks like.  If you're "toughing through" this update despite suffering migraines or seizures, you're still engaging with the game and throwing off those metrics.
  • merb713
    merb713 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    merb713 said:
    merb713 said:
    Why should we have to leave? This is a game many of us have played for years, spending time and money. This isn't showing up and complaining about what exists. It's like showing up to your favorite hangout and discovering that they've installed 24/7 alarm clocks going off, but since the staff all wear noise-cancelling headphones they don't see the problem.
    Yes, there are lots of games out there. I have played them. I like this game. And I would like to continue to play this game. I'm not currently playing it, and I'm missing my resupply (2120 is my next) and everything, because the changes are physically painful to me. 
    Newer players (I'm day 2702) may not be familiar with the general discourse around this game, from the very beginning.  If you enjoy this game, you are a member of a very very small group of veteran players who still like to play it.  The rest of them continue to play for unknown reasons (sunk cost fallacy?), poison any conversation with their constant negativity, and react to any change, big or small, as if it's the end of the world. 

This is why many of us would like for those players to go away.  They make it virtually impossible to assess whether a change is good or bad -- after literally any change, the feedback is a torrent of overwhelming negativity, from roughly the same group of players, who threaten to quit but ultimately never do.

These are the ones who need to go, not the folks who legitimately enjoy the game, occasionally offer positive feedback, and don't immediately hate any change.

I also can't play right now because the new interface makes it physically painful for me to do so. And reading though the comments here, it's cause other people to have migraines and seizures.  There is a distinct difference between "I don't like the color scheme" and "this is hazardous to my health." We're not complaining about a change in paint, we're objecting that the ramp has been replaced by steep stairs.
    From your comment, I'm unclear if you think that those of us who are explaining the disability issues with the update (things that would not pass a 508 compliance check if this were a government product) are "the ones who need to go".
    I am *not* saying those players need to go away forever.  The problem is that players who don't like the color scheme are being encouraged (via other apps/forums) to report that it's causing them health issues, in a campaign to undo a change they simply don't like.

That's why I suggested staying away from the game until an update is made.  Legitimate feedback about the stairs is being mixed in with feedback about the paint scheme, and some players who could go up the stairs are claiming they can't (then going up them anyway) because they're upset about the paint.

The only way to untangle this is for the devs to look at player engagement and see what the drop looks like.  If you're "toughing through" this update despite suffering migraines or seizures, you're still engaging with the game and throwing off those metrics.
    Your point about the engagement stats makes a lot of sense,  thanks.
    Hopefully the dangerous stuff will get fixed.
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Blevsta said:
    I came here to provide feedback on the new UI changes. I've played a couple hundred matches with the new look so far. My thoughts largely match most everyone else.

Pros:
    Wave counter showing which wave you're on is useful.

Tile wiggle seems to be more noticeable when you're struggling to find a match.

Easy to identify which character is associated to a tile, tile symbols are uniform and seem more consistent.

Cons:
    Screen darkening during enemy turn distracts from what's happening in the background, which adds time in order to respond on your turn. Its also distracting, sometimes I catch myself thinking it's still my turn and a cascade is happening.

Color scheme is drab. This was very noticable when I used Yelena Belova as my strongest character. All tiles used her art and those symbols are minimal. The whole board seems matte where it seemed to shimmer before.

Visibility overall is reduced across the board. I find I miss 4 and 5 matches more often. I have trouble identifying what special tiles the enemy has on the board. The black tiles with strike, protect, attack are the worst offenders. Charged tiles are less pronounced.

All in all if I could go feature by feature I would revert nearly every single change, as they're hampering the game way more than they add for me.

If this was all an April Fool's joke you were a couple of weeks too early for that. But you got me!

Where is this wave counter that you speak of?
  • Blevsta
    Blevsta Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Blevsta said:

Pros:
    Wave counter showing which wave you're on is useful.

Where is this wave counter that you speak of?
    My mistake. Fixed my comment above. I guess it's my own early April Fool's joke. 
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Finishing the last PvE with the exact same score as the last time I played it , my placement went from 137th to 179th, so I don’t see any drop off in the player base and it appears to be even more competitive. Players are playing more and achieving higher scores . There will always be the large hater crowd in the forum , but even as a small child I had the basic common sense to know , if I rode the merry go round and i knew it made me nauseous , I DIDN’T RIDE IT!  There were hundreds of other rides I could enjoy at the park without jeopardizing my health . I didn’t whine to the ride operator if he could please slow the ride to 1 mile an hour so I could enjoy it myself at the disappointment of every other person on the ride .
    Just because your bracket is like that, it does not mean other brackets are.  Also, that's not a very scientific explanation unless you know for certain that all other factors (CL, players in the bracket, those players having the same constraints on them as last time, etc.).

Did you pay for the ride when it didn't make you sick but by the time you got on it they changed it and you did get sick?

Edit: typo
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I didn't like this change. The board is too dark and in the opponent's round it gets so dark it becomes a challenge to see what move is being made. Also, the tiles are aesthetically ugly to me 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • NavyHEAL
    NavyHEAL Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's simple: just make it optional. Some ppl like the new design so let 'em have it. Others want the old UI back (like me) so just give us the choice to use the UI we prefer.
  • NavyHEAL
    Options
    I hate the new board. My alliance full of veteran players hates it.  We can't be the only ones.  Hopefully the dev's actually take note of this.  It's harder to distinguish colors, slows down play time, annoying dimming on opponent turn even further reduces visibility.  FAIL.   Give us option of 'classic' gameboard.

Exactly. Give your customers the choice. What a radical idea ;)

• NavyHEAL
    Options
    merb713 said:
    entrailbucket said:
    merb713 said:

ct451r said:
    merb713 said:
    merb713 said:

They are "being encouraged" but you "suggested" :) I think you are doing the same thing; telling players how to act. 
    Just let people have their say. I'm sure the devs have a good understanding of what's going on. 

I think "simply" not liking is just as good reason to complain about this update as any. 

I don't like this new layout. It forced me to join this forum and complain about it. I also stopped playing and the only reason I am still hanging around is because there's a possibility they will switch it back. If I could not complain I would have just left and be done with it. 

I also don't like shards. I don't care about micromanaging my roster. I think is is a waste of time but I ignore that because it does not affect the part of the game I enjoy playing. The new UI does. 

"I don't like this new layout. It forced me to join this forum and complain about it. I also stopped playing and the only reason I am still hanging around is because there's a possibility they will switch it back. If I could not complain I would have just left and be done with it."

Same here

• ProtoformX
    ProtoformX Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Some feedback for the devs: A lot, but not every, character icons are way too emphasized and are distracting.  A GOOD example of a character icon done right is Polaris.  Her icon is just an outline.  Others' (the distracting ones) are solid white filled.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yea! And those posters who just joined a year and 3 months ago with less than 730 posts!! What's the bar set at to where your voice is important?

It is nice to see Bad take a break from his ban ihulk from mpq crusade.
    So do you think my voice is so important here? You flatter me but I never thought that. At least not in popularity terms.

You could say something not being wrong. My crusade was not again Ihulk. 
    If you feel comfortable with my "break" I celebrate that, but perhaps is because I already said all about that theme. 
    Not sure if that theme is very related to this thread, but I understand you.
    Sometimes I make a lot of digressions too.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with Bad, ban iHulk
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    What if you're having a family member in the same household play for you?  I've written it out to ask CS if this is ok under the ToS given playing is nigh on impossible without becoming physically ill.  I don't want my alliance to suffer.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    What if you're having a family member in the same household play for you?  I've written it out to ask CS if this is ok under the ToS given playing is nigh on impossible without becoming physically ill.  I don't want my alliance to suffer.
    I would like to state emphatically that this is perfectly OK by me as a fellow player and competitor -- whatever the TOS imply, It is a reasonable accommodation taken under duress.
  • Koolkatcody
    Koolkatcody Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Long time player (since the beginning) first time poster... 
    New board sucks. Yesterday and today was the first time I never at a minimum did my dailys. Played one match today and got a headache and got nauseated. Won't play again until it's fixed. 
  • AlMacD
    AlMacD Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    For what it's worth, one more vote to fix the contrast/colors, remove (or make extremely subtle) the AI screen darkening/fog-of-war, etc. ASAP. I've managed to play, but it's not enjoyable. Eye strain and a bit of a headache from it in addition to hurting the gameplay.

Thank you for your efforts to make the game better.