New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• Jacknife
    Jacknife Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I dont want to have improved one. I want old style back. There must be an option for old style so everyone could be happy.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    sweegy said:
    I'm confident they'll fix it, but I'm guessing Tuesday the earliest. 
    This is almost certainly correct. Apparently, Apple will only let you push one update a week. If that’s true, there can’t be a fix before Tuesday.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,370 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sweegy said:
    I'm confident they'll fix it, but I'm guessing Tuesday the earliest.  As a color-disabled individual, it's tougher to play but I'm slogging through to finish my Daily stuff.  I want to be effective for the Boss Event and I know it will take me longer than usual with this update.

I do wish more game companies would allow more colorblind settings.  My favorite is when they allow you to pick the colors yourself, so you can individually find the most contrasting colors and not rely on someone's elses choices through filters.  Even though there's a few types of Colorblindness, peoples can have varying degrees of severity in their type.  
    For a game where the core gameplay involves manipulating a board of colored tiles, good colorblind settings should be a must.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,118 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sweegy said:
    I'm confident they'll fix it, but I'm guessing Tuesday the earliest.  As a color-disabled individual, it's tougher to play but I'm slogging through to finish my Daily stuff.  I want to be effective for the Boss Event and I know it will take me longer than usual with this update.

I do wish more game companies would allow more colorblind settings.  My favorite is when they allow you to pick the colors yourself, so you can individually find the most contrasting colors and not rely on someone's elses choices through filters.  Even though there's a few types of Colorblindness, peoples can have varying degrees of severity in their type.  
    As another Daltonist, I agree 100%.  To use an example from another game, the "Follow the scent" portions of various quests in Witcher 3 were next impossible for me to do if they took place in the wilderness since I could not see the red trail on the green grass.  Fortunately, there was a color-blind mod, followed by an official patch, that fixed the issue (for my eyes, anyway).

If at all possible, there should be at least one color-blind person on every UI design team to help out with problems like that.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    abmoraz said:

As an aside, where does this sit in the all time hall of fame for worst video game updates ever?

I don't remember the game, but there was one where the patch broke the uninstaller.  If you tried to uninstall, it removed the entire C:\ drive instead of just the installation drive.
    You may be thinking of Eve Online. They definitely had a very bad update that hosed user's systems, many moons ago. 
  • JoeyCool
    JoeyCool Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Well for the people out there that seem to imply that only a small vocal minority is disliking the UI change, in Alliance chat only dislikes to strong dislikes from our members. Nobody has said anything about liking the update thus far, but only a third has said anything about it to be fair. Team event is picking up a bit slower than usual. I'm not expecting much applause on this update. I'm just hoping this won't be a game-killer and that they're already working on a fix to either revert or make it optional.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Options
    sweegy said:

As another Daltonist, I agree 100%.  To use an example from another game, the "Follow the scent" portions of various quests in Witcher 3 were next impossible for me to do if they took place in the wilderness since I could not see the red trail on the green grass.  Fortunately, there was a color-blind mod, followed by an official patch, that fixed the issue (for my eyes, anyway).

If at all possible, there should be at least one color-blind person on every UI design team to help out with problems like that.

First: Daltonist... I haven't heard that term used in ages.  Certainly beats my "Dog-eyed" phrase I used earlier :D
    Second: color picker would be AMAZING, but the 3d-effects on the tiles might make that harder than it seems
    Third: MPQ seems pretty anti-personalized settings. Looking at the settings page, we have 2 sliders for sound and music, a choice for which service to use as a back-up, notifications preference (a single setting masquerading as 6 checkboxes) and 3 game-play options (effects, enemy AP, and physics).  I'm not even certain how many of those are tied to the account and how many are local to just the device.  I think we might get more traction if we suggested it to be a "device specific" option (ostensibly to counteract a low-quality phone screen) rather than account based
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As an aside, where does this sit in the all time hall of fame for worst video game updates ever?
    Street Fighter V installing a rootkit is pretty high up there
  • Low44
    Low44 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I just registered to give my feedback to this "update":
    I don't like it. I can't orientate on the board as quickly as before, the color contrasts have gotten far worse for me, darkening the display on the enemy turn makes the game very unsteady, to distinguish between normal and special enemy tile is far more time consuming and thus frustrating.
    Overall I'd like to go back, until then I'm gonna stick to a bare minimum of playing time.
    If this won't be fixed, I'm gonna stop playing, although I'd have wasted some money on this game.
    I'm only on day 1270 but have been playing about two hours per day.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kwahder said:
    sweegy said:
    This is almost certainly correct. Apparently, Apple will only let you push one update a week. If that’s true, there can’t be a fix before Tuesday.
    Not exactly true. They don‘t officially limit the number of updates per week, but their review process can take some time and will take longer if you „spam“ them.

Apart there‘s an „expedited review“ you can request in certain conditions: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/

Pretty sure the current situation would warrant an emergency patch like this, when health hazards are apparent. 
  • DigitHAL9000
    DigitHAL9000 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    I quite apareciate the new tiles design, they're more readable.
    Buy enemy special tiles don't stand out enough.
    More it's disturbing the darkening during enemy turn.
    Always seems my phone is going standby...
    And the powers' bar seems quite dull.
    Old one was better to me.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    supergarv said:
    Kwahder said:
    sweegy said:
    Not exactly true. They don‘t officially limit the number of updates per week, but their review process can take some time and will take longer if you „spam“ them.

Apart there‘s an „expedited review“ you can request in certain conditions: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/

Pretty sure the current situation would warrant an emergency patch like this, when health hazards are apparent. 
    I seem to recall an expedited required update when LT's were giving 50% 5* returns.  Or something.  Some crazy stuff has gone down in this game over the years.