New UI Update: Gameboard

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin

Hey all! As part of our continued UI updates, we’re going to be making one of the bigger ones in R223, an update to the gameboard!

As you can see, the Gameboard has been updated, but keeps all the same features. We wanted to go with a bit more of a facelift with this screen as opposed to a wholesale change. This brings it in-line with the multitude of other changes we’ve made across the game.

Along with the characters being more visible, we’ve toned down the backdrop to the tiles to make them a bit more readily visible. As well, we’ve changed the tile colors slightly and reduced the glow. Now the PinkPurple tile is PinkPurpler than ever!

PC users will be getting the tile updates, but otherwise the UI will be staying almost identical to the current.

With this gameboard update we are also bringing in another update to the gameboard that is a bit more experiential than something to show off in a screenshot. We’ve updated the tile physics for tile movement and drops. This change makes no actual gameplay changes, with the same frame counts and speed as the current drop physics, but makes things a bit more “active” during play. This feature is available in the Options menu to toggle on and off. For veteran users, this defaults to off, but we encourage you to take a look and check it out!

We’re still going strong on our UI updates, with more to come including the big one: The Main Menu. We’ll have more info soon!

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First impression is I like it a lot. Hoping it’s as good in practice as it seems in the screenshot. 

I’m curious if any improvements to saved teams (more slots, save 2-person teams, etc.) are part of the UI revamp pipeline. 
    Very interested in the main menu one where poor poor Prologue takes up so much real estate. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn’t realize how outdated it looked. Nice change!
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Nice.  I hope this means we can now read rounds of stun on our own characters.  Sometimes it gets obscured back there.

I remember the tile bouncing got leaked accidentally sometime last year.  They took it away after a couple days but I liked it.

edit: I noticed again during Strange Sights that battles with Kaecillius go faster.  Like the actual tile switching and drops seems sped up.  Some characters I noticed tend to have faster tile movements in general.  5* Storm I think is one like that.  But it’s odd that during Kaecillius fights, everything runs smoother.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said:
    Now the PinkPurple tile is PinkPurpler than ever!
    The age-old debate has finally been solved.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said:
    Now the PinkPurple tile is PinkPurpler than ever!
    The age-old debate has finally been solved.
    There have been separate Purple  and Pink  tiles since at least 2017. Only the Purple one is in the game.

This isn't a recently-solved debate. It was never an actual debate to begin with. It's always been Purple.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like that you can see more of the character art. I like that the character logo is more visible on the tiles.
    I don't quite love the color changes. My eye finds it harder to distinguish between the updated colors. I might feel differently once I've had time to get used to it.
  • Storm of fire
    Storm of fire Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I like the increased visibility of the character symbols on the tiles, not sure about the green and the blue looking so similar in hue and shade. 
    I also like the increased character display, as I do play with the AP indicator flipped up. 
  • _Vitto
    _Vitto Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @IceIX Is this new update going to be "compulsory" any time soon? 

Switching to this new interface would eventually slow us hardcore players down and affect heavily our gameplay. However, if one day we find ourselves being stuck with it, we might as well get used to it right away. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can't say I'm a big fan. I don't get what the big deal is to see a miniscule amount of extra stationary character detail, doesn't really add much or serve a purpose. 

I like the blue background board much better than the new black one. I really wish you could toggle which game board to use instead of having this new one forced on us. 

The only thing I do like is the character symbols being easier to see. I wish they just kept the same board and updated the tiles. 

I've played other match type games that let you have different boards or customize them. I don't see why D3 couldn't allow similar features or to be able to toggle between both boards above.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I kind of like it but feel the colors should be differentiated more. I was going to say the old color scheme was fine but the change from blue to black background might alter them somewhat. There are palettes online that could serve as a basis for maintaining the highest separation between colors for almost everyone
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tonypq said:
    Can't say I'm a big fan. I don't get what the big deal is to see a miniscule amount of extra stationary character detail, doesn't really add much or serve a purpose. 

I like the blue background board much better than the new black one. I really wish you could toggle which game board to use instead of having this new one forced on us. 

The only thing I do like is the character symbols being easier to see. I wish they just kept the same board and updated the tiles. 

I've played other match type games that let you have different boards or customize them. I don't see why D3 couldn't allow similar features or to be able to toggle between both boards above.
    I'm not a big fan either but in my case I hate the fact the symbols are more prominent because it now makes everything look too busy (I preferred the subtle blended look).
    I also hope we don't be more accidental mis-clicks on phones since the board is compressed and everything is closer together (I feel for those with older/smaller physical displays).
    I'd also love the option to toggle to the original colors.
    KGB