New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not to fan the flames... (And i really dont want to, but i fear my words will be taken as such)

Ive NEVER seen an update for this game get so much vitriol before this one.
    Not just here... But in other places too.  Facebook for one, is even more toxic than normal.
    My own YouTube channel, which is meager at best, has its nay-sayers towards the update.

I make do with it.  I guess i'm 'blessed' to be okay with it currently.  Ive gotten used to the entire ordeal, even though i know i'd be happy to go back to what it was.  In the end, they probably dont wanna undo their hard work and resources spent, but also dont wanna lose such a large part of the playerbase (which i'd assume includes people from F2P to Whales).  

I look forward to the next change, and to our topics reverting back to "character balance", "okoye everywhere", and "cheating".  ;)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Not to fan the flames... (And i really dont want to, but i fear my words will be taken as such)

Ive NEVER seen an update for this game get so much vitriol before this one.
    Not just here... But in other places too.  Facebook for one, is even more toxic than normal.
    My own YouTube channel, which is meager at best, has its nay-sayers towards the update.

I make do with it.  I guess i'm 'blessed' to be okay with it currently.  Ive gotten used to the entire ordeal, even though i know i'd be happy to go back to what it was.  In the end, they probably dont wanna undo their hard work and resources spent, but also dont wanna lose such a large part of the playerbase (which i'd assume includes people from F2P to Whales).  

I look forward to the next change, and to our topics reverting back to "character balance", "okoye everywhere", and "cheating".  ;)
    I tried to start one about finding any use at all for post-nerf Danver5 lol; so far it's been "meat shield for Thano5" or "no use now, but no use before either...."
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @ThaRoadWarrior lol.  Noted.  And honestly, i havent seen anything either.  Been playing around with more 4s lately, just for fun, but M5rvel remains lackluster at best.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that this thread is only for our own feedback and not critiques of others', I can update my own feedback, completely immune from criticism! 

After a couple days I got used to the board and it's fine.  I haven't talked to anyone who has a problem with it.  No one in my alliance has a problem with it.  No one I know has quit the game over it.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    After playing for the past several days with the new UI, here are my completely biased thoughts:

1) I have totally gotten used to the gameboard.  Very surprised at how quickly I got used to it and now can't imagine playing the old board.

2) I feel for those who are having physical issues playing the game and hope they fix it ASAP.  It is great for me that I am not having physical issues, but I have empathy for those who are experiencing issues playing the new UI.  This is supposed to be fun and I hope the next adjustment allows all to play the game in a way that is not hazardous to their health.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    After a week or so of this:
    1.) Yellow AP bar still difficult to differentiate for when ready to fire, it just needs a contrast tweak.

Also need charged tiles to stand out better like they used to do. If you've tried any battles with charged tile users you'll be shocked how hard it is to find the charged tiles now that they aren't highlighted.
    KGB
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I've read that about the charged tiles for several times now. Therefore I just tried a quick lightning round with Black Bolt to confirm what I remembered. At least on my big screen with the steam version I would even call them "agressively visible" meaning they stand out above everything else. Either it has different graphics on PC or they are best suited for the big screen. Maybe that's also one reason why the new colours were okay for me.
    So if there wouldn't be the darkening board and the too many flashes causing me headache if I try to play normal times or forget to close my eyes during AI moves I could consider myself one of the lucky ones.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know if this has been said or not, but they also need a different shape for either blue or green.  The square and rectangle are way too close in shape for fast recognition.  At least the others are more distinguishable.  Black and TU are the same shape, but they are visually so different, so that's okay.  You basically have 2 circles, 2 triangles, and 3 quadrilaterals (1 square, 1 rotated square, and 1 rectangle).  I think that blue should either be a sideways triangle, or a completely different shape.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For what it's worth, I don't think any of the actual shapes changed from old to new, just the color/contrast of them and some of the special tile icon treatments. But I agree, green and blue are not different enough to my eye if we're not going to be using high contrast.
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    justsing said:
    I wouldn't say charged tiles stand out on Steam....... 
    I tried some snapshots too. Look quite like yours :smile: So I see on a smaller screen, e.g. of a tablet (or if I shrink the screenshot to simulate one) they cannot be recognized as clearly as on my big screen. However while testing that I noticed the charged tiles start pulsating after a second or so. Then there should be no problem seeing them I think but for my feeling in that situation AI special tiles are even less noticeable as they are anyway with the new graphic design. So I'd rather like the dedicated AI special tiles and countdown tiles made more prominent.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    justsing said:

Was on vacation for a week and playing as little as possible and did my best to look away every turn.  I'm coping, but my enjoyment is down.

But what I find super interesting is that now that I've taken a minute to stare at a screen that isn't flashing back at me and isn't playing as fast as humanly possible for points or to get hit in PVP, I noticed that charged tiles have a LIGHTNING BOLT INSIDE!

This change has been live for how long and I just now noticed that.  This should go a long way towards informing the programmers behind this that charged tiles are not distinct enough, even with "anime sweat lines" and an almost invisible lightning bolt inside.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    pheregas said:
    justsing said:

Was on vacation for a week and playing as little as possible and did my best to look away every turn.  I'm coping, but my enjoyment is down.

But what I find super interesting is that now that I've taken a minute to stare at a screen that isn't flashing back at me and isn't playing as fast as humanly possible for points or to get hit in PVP, I noticed that charged tiles have a LIGHTNING BOLT INSIDE!

This change has been live for how long and I just now noticed that.  This should go a long way towards informing the programmers behind this that charged tiles are not distinct enough, even with "anime sweat lines" and an almost invisible lightning bolt inside.
    I noticed it early on, but to be fair, I was purposely looking for it. I thought the same as you minus the anime sweat lines.  :D  They really need to brighten the lightening bolt. Look at how bright the strike tile sword is compared to the lightening bolt which irl actually gives off light.