Question on Forum Rules

Options

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gravel said:
    After a trip down memory lane, I found the old post on the LT exploit on the forums.  From the update:
    "• We do not look the other way when it comes to exploiting & cheating. Never have, never will.
    • We manually roll back exploiter's accounts - meaning they can lose months of progress, including anything they gained fairly.
    • We only offer this as a one-time courtesy to players so they don't lose everything they have paid for.
    • At no point is a player allowed to retain anything they have obtained through an exploit.

The integrity of the game remains intact. We've tried to make this clear and will say it again in the hopes that the reality of the situation is known. Cheaters are not allowed to keep anything gained from exploiting or cheating. Their accounts are either removed from the game completely or rolled back to a point before cheating occurred - which includes removal of any items gained by exploiting/cheating."
    I've seen the video, it's awful to see.  It would be nice to have some response, but I always laugh when others ask for it.  Is the integrity of the game intact?

When I complain about RNG, it's in reference to things like this. We -know- these things happened, and often they aren't corrected (fixed/rolled-back, whatever).

If someone had better 5*'s than you due to being able to 'adjust' their RNG five years ago.....how do you think that impacted their placement over you in the subsequent five years? It got them more covers of the next/newest/best 5*, more supports, more....everything.

The 'newest' 'problem' is just that: it's yet another problem, but don't discount the old problems. Don't discount that many people, to this day, know how to 'adjust' their RNG while other users cannot do that. It's giving an advantage in resources/rosters that is not there to everyone.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champed 5* players' characters were 170 to 200 levels higher than my 4* team before Polaris existed. On top of that, 5* characters match damage are a few times higher than 4*'s. If I could clear faster than them back then, it's possible that 450 rosters can clear faster than 550. 

You guys need to figure out how to come up with better evidence, that is not circumstantial evidence. A lot of players are going to get sandboxed if such circumstantial evidence is easily accepted. The best proof is to video yourself completing the clear and checking the leaderboard often. I think that's the best way but there's definitely a better way out there.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd just be happy if they would give specific comment on this. Something like, "acceptable platforms for the game include: X, Y, Z. Unacceptable platforms for the game include A, B, and C."

Right now, it's "you're not allowed to cheat and we'll know cheating when we see it", which has several potential negative outcomes:

1) If it is cheating, it can lead to a user who is not a cheat doing something that gets labeled as cheating and getting them in trouble despite no intent to break any rules but simply because the rules were not specific or clear

2) If it isn't cheating, then the rest of us are being kept out of a "golden ticket' to faster game play because it can't be spoken about

3) If it is cheating but they can't or won't do anything about it other than ban people talking about it, then the situation will persist and cheaters will get the best rewards and non-cheaters will have their dignity.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Champed 5* players' characters were 170 to 200 levels higher than my 4* team before Polaris existed. On top of that, 5* characters match damage are a few times higher than 4*'s. If I could clear faster than them back then, it's possible that 450 rosters can clear faster than 550. 

You guys need to figure out how to come up with better evidence, that is not circumstantial evidence. A lot of players are going to get sandboxed if such circumstantial evidence is easily accepted. The best proof is to video yourself completing the clear and checking the leaderboard often. I think that's the best way but there's definitely a better way out there.

It shouldn't be on the players to provide the evidence.  The evidence is the video of the exploit.  It should be on the devs to stop it from happening.  I don't understand why asking for a level playing field is so polarizing.
  • Prince_Raoul
    Prince_Raoul Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:
    Things that should effect PVE placement:

1) Skill, above all else.
    2) Timing, which relates to #1
    3) Roster size - need the right specific characters, usually the bigger the better.
    4) Supports - need the right specific supports

If you have all of these, you should do better than someone with two of these, for example.
    Big spenders certainly can get an advantage on the competition through #3 (and previously through #4).
    We can argue about 'how' people got #3 and #4, and  I do. RNG should be RNG, anyone that has been able to 'modify' that and beat others for ages with those modifications is as complicit in cheating as any other method.
    But just as no-one should get a giant advantage through 3/4 without spending a ton of time and/or money, no-one should get a giant advantage over 1/2 (timing/skill) by using specific methods or specific devices.

Fair is fair - everything that anyone should do, everyone should be able to do. Anything that is locked off for some, should be locked off for all.

This might be the single funniest thing ever posted here.

He thinks it takes skill to match 3 gems of the same color.

OMG my 4-year old niece is a prodigy she can score thousands in Bejeweled.

Timing which is imposed on you by the event you have nothing to do with that. 

Roster size is mostly about how much you want to pay to win. 
    Supports wow yeah another piece of the money tree.

Only a bunch of people who bought their way to the top can delude themselves into thinking it takes talent. 
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Options

Sorry to give you a big taste of your own medicine here pal, but:

In terms of responsibility in keeping a fair game environment, what do you believe is the expected onus of the player and what is the expected onus of the game maker?

In a game where you cannot directly witness your opponents play in either first or third person, how do you posit that one should obtain evidence against a specific player that is neither based on suspicion nor circumstantial in nature?

Given the above 2 points, if there is a 100% proven way to exploit the game, regardless of whether it can be proven that players are using it, what is a reasonable expectation of the developers responsibility to address the issue to remove any possible unfairness in competition?

If the developers of a game take a stance that cheating is not allowed (as they have), and there is a behavior that the community does not agree on whether it is an acceptable  gameplay method or exploitation (as these discussion have clearly shown), and the developers have the final say on what is considered cheating and what is not (they do), regardless of whether there is positive proof or suspicion that players are currently using the behavior to gain a competitive advantage, what can be reasonably expected from the developers to definitively inform the player base whether the behavior breaks any rules or not?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:

3) Roster size - need the right specific characters, usually the bigger the better.

If you have all of these, you should do better than someone with two of these, for example.
    Big spenders certainly can get an advantage on the competition through #3 (and previously through #4).
    We can argue about 'how' people got #3 and #4, and  I do. RNG should be RNG, anyone that has been able to 'modify' that and beat others for ages with those modifications is as complicit in cheating as any other method.
    But just as no-one should get a giant advantage through 3/4 without spending a ton of time and/or money, no-one should get a giant advantage over 1/2 (timing/skill) by using specific methods or specific devices.

Fair is fair - everything that anyone should do, everyone should be able to do. Anything that is locked off for some, should be locked off for all.

Only a bunch of people who bought their way to the top can delude themselves into thinking it takes talent. 
    I mean, you're right.  It's a match 3 game.  But if you think it doesn't take some modicum of talent, well, I'd call that idiocy.

Why?

Can you, at a glance, determine what the optimal number of green tiles is at any given moment?  Can you determine the exact placement of a single match to maximize the amount of total matches made on the subsequent cascade, all while making sure to gather (or not gather) the right/wrong colors?

Can you move the board as little as possible as single hit win the easy nodes without causing a cascade?

Do any of the above require a specific set of skills?  Maybe even a talent?

This is a marathon.  The marathon is made easier by talent (or even money) but can be completely achievable given enough time and patience without said money.  I haven't given more than a few appreciation dollars to this game in years and I'm still very competitive.

And by your own admission, your niece is a prodigy.  What's the definition of prodigy?   "a highly talented child or youth"

So you've just called your 
    niece as someone who "delude themselves into thinking it takes talent."  And you were the one who thought it was talent.  These are your words.

Look.  This is going to devolve quickly because of who you've shown yourself to be earlier in this thread.  I'm not interested in debating your intelligence.  This is a forum about a game.  Literally a place designed to exchange ideas about a game.  If you are not willing to participate in a forum of game ideas without name calling, please see yourself out or the flag button is going to start getting some heavy use.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    It is a shame to see Big Softie banned for raising an important issue. **** mob mentality isn't good, but he didn't name any names. Crazy that you get punished for pointing out fraud and deception which is what is happening here.

I suppose he should just learn to shut his mouth and not do the right thing in future. Either that or start a fake account, insult people and brag about cheating. That wouldn't get him banned.
    +1

Misguided choice at best. If there is more to info they should be forthcoming, because they look like it’s just a tantrum for him bringing the problem into a broader audience. If they plan to fix it, that shouldn’t matter in the least.

Meanwhile, I’m all for varying opinions. However, it’s abundantly clear about motivations of one individual, yet it seems a “warning” was all that merits.

These choices must be difficult, but it feels like this one was just blind honestly.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I remember correctly, bigsoftie started a thread not exposing arguments, facts or evidences, but encouraging people to not spend anything. 
    Not exactly the appropiate way to expose an issue nor the most rational.
    Obviously it progressed into insults and more things going south.
    Perhaps all that was involved into his banning, just saying.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What I can say is that the onus of proof is on the plantiff, and not the defendant, whether it's a civil case or criminal case. You have to prove your case beyond reasonable doubt. It's probably because of this, that's why the dev still can't ban him. On the flip side, what happens if the accused has actually proved to the dev that he didn't cheat?

Based on what I gathered,

1) someone who can finish in 30 minutes will be able to finish it in 20.
    2) This happens only in SCL 10.
    3) The number of players affected is really small. Top 10 placements * 5 slices * an average 3 brackets =  150 players.
    4) You need a strong PC to pull that off.
    5) One of the intentions is to get the dev to admit that such cheating exist, talked about it openly in the forum and let these 150 players (who probably hardly come to this forum) see that they are working on this.

Point 4 is interesting and this was one of my suspicion that the alleged cheater has one of the top end gaming rigs. There are videos of Fortnite players playing the game at between 500 to 1000 fps, and the animation is really fast. Typically, it is 60fps. They are able to do this because they have one of the best gaming rigs in the world. It's possible we are seeing  a case of whales getting crushed by blue whale in scl 10 pves.  :D

I find point 5 unbelievable. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is no onus of proof on the players to expect a fair game environment. That’s just silly, and it’s even worse when you are accepting money from people, then you owe them an honest and fair environment.

F2P folks keep the engine running too, so I don’t want to come across as if y’all aren’t important. Just there may be a different viewpoint if you are a spender.
  • Prince_Raoul
    Options
    pheregas said:
    SnowcaTT said:

I mean, you're right.  It's a match 3 game.  But if you think it doesn't take some modicum of talent, well, I'd call that idiocy.

Why?

Can you, at a glance, determine what the optimal number of green tiles is at any given moment?  Can you determine the exact placement of a single match to maximize the amount of total matches made on the subsequent cascade, all while making sure to gather (or not gather) the right/wrong colors?

Can you move the board as little as possible as single hit win the easy nodes without causing a cascade?

Do any of the above require a specific set of skills?  Maybe even a talent?

This is a marathon.  The marathon is made easier by talent (or even money) but can be completely achievable given enough time and patience without said money.  I haven't given more than a few appreciation dollars to this game in years and I'm still very competitive.

And by your own admission, your niece is a prodigy.  What's the definition of prodigy?   "a highly talented child or youth"

So you've just called your niece as someone who "delude themselves into thinking it takes talent."  And you were the one who thought it was talent.  These are your words.

Look.  This is going to devolve quickly because of who you've shown yourself to be earlier in this thread.  I'm not interested in debating your intelligence.  This is a forum about a game.  Literally a place designed to exchange ideas about a game.  If you are not willing to participate in a forum of game ideas without name calling, please see yourself out or the flag button is going to start getting some heavy use.
    I know it is tough to catch sarcasm on a forum.
    The line about my niece is to show matching three colored gems is not a skill.
    It is not a talent.
    it is as elementary as recognizing a color and finding two others.

Maybe in some places this is seen as an amazing talent.

I am imagining seeing on a resume under “other skills”: expertise at match-3 game.
    I’d offer that guy a job on the spot! (Sarcasm again)

This game is just some fun to play waste of time not some grand and glorious pathway to an imaginary MPQ Grandmaster. 
  • Prince_Raoul
    Options
    jp1 said:
    There is no onus of proof on the players to expect a fair game environment. That’s just silly, and it’s even worse when you are accepting money from people, then you owe them an honest and fair environment.

F2P folks keep the engine running too, so I don’t want to come across as if y’all aren’t important. Just there may be a different viewpoint if you are a spender.
    Finally someone speaks the truth, thank you.