Question on Forum Rules

Options

Comments

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reecoh said:
    What if the station wagon is a Cadillac CTS-V wagon or a merc amg e63s wagon? Oh the Audi RS6 avant too.

Pretty sure DD was referring to the Family Truckster.
    That's baller! I'd buy one.
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Just to correct a common misconception I’ve seen repeated in this thread: the method pc players are using is not a hack, outside program, or anything of the sort.

It could fairly be called an exploit, as the speed up occurs when performing a normal pc function. I had discovered it by accident this past December, and reported it. Some other players also reported me for cheating and I did get suspended, though not sandboxed, for about 4 days. My account was unsuspended after I explained, with video, showing how it was done.

For the record, I did not use it for better placement, just for quicker initial clears in scl10; my placement in events remained the same as before discovering this exploit.

I have since retired from the game, but I would be happy to come back, briefly, just to show that I haven’t been sandboxed, as some might think.

Point is, they are aware of how it’s done, but have said that it’s going to take some time for them to figure out how to fix it. They also asked that I no longer use the exploit, though it’s no longer an issue for me.

Also, any pc running Windows (10 for sure, maybe earlier versions, too) can do it, regardless of specs. It is not hardware dependent.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    This is the most important message:

Point is, they are aware of how it’s done, but have said that it’s going to take some time for them to figure out how to fix it. 

And, those players lying about the developers not doing anything about the cheat just to push their agenda is simply evil. And it just proved that these players are simply impatient. That probably explains why the  dev can't be bothered to make a statement here as of now. They are dealing with at least one player or a group of players who lied about the whole situation and tried to discredit them. 
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don’t see how it would be hard to identify users like this tho.

I mean it’s not even just clear times, but also you should be able to detect people who are pinging your server way too fast.  Like even in menu choices and what not. It’s very hard for me to believe that they cannot tell the difference between people using hacks like this and normal players.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    They are the ones housing the data.  It’s not up to us to catch every cheater that happens to spill their guts on Line or whatever,  they have the means to discern these patterns.  
    Just do it and ban them and be vocal about it,  
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    This is the most important message:

Point is, they are aware of how it’s done, but have said that it’s going to take some time for them to figure out how to fix it. 

And, those players lying about the developers not doing anything about the cheat just to push their agenda is simply evil. And it just proved that these players are simply impatient. That probably explains why the  dev can't be bothered to make a statement here as of now. They are dealing with at least one player or a group of players who lied about the whole situation and tried to discredit them. 
    So because you saw this one message, everybody else is now a liar? It must be nice to live in a world that is so black and white and to be so easily swayed. The two situations aren’t mutually exclusive. One PM to one player isn’t exactly effective communication to your player-base, regardless if they were acting in good faith and actually investigating as they so claimed, which remains to be seen. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I find it unbelievable that the CS replied to only one player, despite the fact that lots of reports were made about similar cheating cases.  Either the CS is biased against the rest of the players who filed the report, some players are not honest about the whole situation, or the CS is sleeping on their job.

The player involved mentioned that this exploit was done while the PC was functioning normally and this tally with other players in Reddit talking about how they experience this sudden speeding up without knowing how to replicate the situation. 

From what I see, this is what happened.

1) The cheating/exploit has been happening for some time, and it could be as early as September 2020.

2) The dev/CS have acknowledged the problem and they've been looking into it. They also mentioned that it will take some time to solve the problem.

3) At least one player was boxed and he was unboxed. This player has posted in the forum and it could be the player that The rockett mentioned previously.

3) Those players affected are not happy with the amount of time the developer is taking to solve the problem.

Players affected set a certain timeframe for the developer to solve the problem. However, the dev couldn't do so. Therefore, these players concluded that the Dev is doing nothing about the cheat.

Let's be clear. Doing nothing about an exploit is inaction and it's as good as saying cheating is fine.

However, not being able to solve the problem within a timeframe set by those players for the developers is an expectation problem. 

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well all people is itching for info here. Its normal by the fact.
    Between lies, truths and speculations on this thread can be resumed that possibly there is a hack, devs are working on it time ago and they are taking actions like identifying the users and sandboxing or monitoring them. 
    With just all this info I feel more relaxed now.
    And for knowing all the others facts or details, of course it would be great, but I think its a theme not possible to know in detail for the player.
    Although with more info it is possible to guessing more :)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Dhaunas said:

For the record, I did not use it for better placement, just for quicker initial clears in scl10; my placement in events remained the same as before discovering this exploit.

I read some whoppers in my time but that's an outright heavy weight champion of a fib. You had your baby roster often being P1 in CL10. To the point people went looking to find out why and how. I myself contacted one of your medusa members to find out if they knew what was going on as we go back over 15 years.
    I saw people on the discord call you out time and time again for being P1 with your roster, beating 550's over and over. Let's not make this something it wasn't.
    You were caught, to save your backside you told them how you did it or you would've been permanently sand boxed. You haven't retired for any other reason than you can't stand being a mid runner with your account after playing cheat mode for so long.
    Seriously, congratulations to those that chased this down and didn't give up. Sand-boxing needs to go to, it should be a complete roll back to zero.
    Anyway Dhaunas, perhaps you would like to prove me wrong and get a P1 again without cheat mode?

I don’t have all that backstory, but doesn’t “only” speeding up your initial clears still allow you to place better even if you aren’t hacking the end clears? I mean, you get to start your timers earlier than me so it would make since that if you “only” cheat to save time on the front end, you still are getting better placement than you would’ve otherwise. 
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I get what you are saying. As far as being ranked 1st vs 550s, yes I would, but ONLY after the initial clear.

As far as my initial clear affecting my placements, compared to prior to finding the exploit, no I did not place better than before. Whether you choose to believe it or not, they remained the same. How? Because I would do my final clears earlier than before, not doing it optimally (whereas prior to the exploit, I would do clears optimally). After people started getting angry over my placement in initial clears, I just started doing them about 15 minutes later, rather than when the slices immediately opened, cancelling out the initial point advantage that was gained. The reason for continuing to use the exploit was to reduce the amount of time grinding, as it’s mind numbing. I did flirt with the idea of using it for placement, but never did. Feel free to show me placing first, or anywhere near it, at the end of the events I participated in; it never happened, as I did not try for it.

Prior to the exploit, my placements were  between 15th and 50th. When I used the exploit I placed the same. Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you, I don’t feel any further need to try and convince anyone, as it’s not the point.

My reason for posting had been to merely point out the misconception that a hack of some sort is involved and that the devs were unconcerned about the issues it creates for other players.

Continue to drag me if you like, I get it. Not the reason I chose to post, though. I would suggest that people avoid it, as it may get the thread shut down; there is important feedback and concerns in this thread that need to be in the forefront.

If that one line is too polarizing, I can edit and remove it if you guys prefer, as it is ultimately not the point and I get that folks won’t believe it, regardless of the truth to it.

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dhaunas said:
    Just to correct a common misconception I’ve seen repeated in this thread: the method pc players are using is not a hack, outside program, or anything of the sort

Also, any pc running Windows (10 for sure, maybe earlier versions, too) can do it, regardless of specs. It is not hardware dependent.

If this is the case it would appear that it is not a 'hack' (but as you say, an 'exploit') - some I've heard of are using [something else], but if you're using only your platform and the game app....that's a problem, since it's only using what you must use to play the game. Seems only way to get rid of it would be get rid of that platform.

Or offer that speed to all platforms.
  • The_Boogie
    The_Boogie Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:

Totally agree!

And yet, there's another documented exploit (that starts with P) that the devs have been about, that has been suggested would be cut out of the game, and that I've seen the bulk of players defend because 'everybody's doing it' - something that I can tell you bluntly everyone is not doing. It's an exploit that is giving players a major advantage over those who can't do it (sound familiar?).

...It's almost as if the majority of the playerbase can USE that exploit, that not everyone can use, and so therefore it's being glossed over, and dubbed as "fine". It's almost as if the majority of the playerbase can't easily use this new exploit, and so it's getting a bunch of run as a "cheat".

Exploits are exploits. Fair is fair. Everyone should be able to do the same thing - manipulating RNG or speeding up the game - and if these things are out-of-bounds then everyone using them is a cheat. It might be that some want to think of these as "exploits" and not "hacks", and therefore the players using them aren't "cheats" but "savvy app users".

But - exploits are exploits. They ALL need to be sealed up, not allowing anyone to use them to give them an advantage over other players.
    Snow are you talking about those 2 minute movie teasers that come on screen before the actual movie starts? Darn it the name escapes me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,170 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I mean it’s not even just clear times, but also you should be able to detect people who are pinging your server way too fast.  Like even in menu choices and what not. It’s very hard for me to believe that they cannot tell the difference between people using hacks like this and normal players.
    I'm not sure the exploit as it's being described would result in noticeably increased server traffic. I would be surprised to discover that the game was doing realtime server transactions and not batching them to send restfully after certain game events have been completed.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,946 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm not sure the exploit as it's being described would result in noticeably increased server traffic. I would be surprised to discover that the game was doing realtime server transactions and not batching them to send restfully after certain game events have been completed.

You are correct. The game only sends back data one time after a battle completes, never during the battle itself.
    KGB
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reecoh said:
    What if the station wagon is a Cadillac CTS-V wagon or a merc amg e63s wagon? Oh the Audi RS6 avant too.

Pretty sure DD was referring to the Family Truckster.
    Family Truckster is how I refer to my Buick for road trips.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Positive outcome: I had a personal best placement in Strange Sights and am sitting higher than usual in The Hunt after day 2. Nothing in my play style has changed, my roster hasn't strengthened appreciably, and I have only ever played on the same iPad I've had for over 3 years. While it's only 2 events, my hypothesis is that the cheaters have gotten nervous and are either stopping or cutting back, and my placement is benefitting as a result. I, for one, am thankful this has gotten the attention it has and I hope D3 finds a way to put an end to it once and for all.