Nerf Okoye

Options

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I would never call for an Okoye nerf.  I understand how crazy strong she is, but honestly, she isn't unbeatable, and she's got her own crutches (requiring AP, and needing to be in front).  

And yes, half-Thor powers her yellow well... which requires a couple turns to GET that AP, so that you can have it on the board to match, so that your powers can be...well...powered.

For a little while, I WAS running the Thorkoye 2099 team.  Love it.  Great team.  But when Polaris came out, it was basically a matter of "oh, this takes NO AP to start, and it's nearly impossible to not find a strike tile to play with".

That's all.  What's that acronym...  YMMV?  That's probably the point.  It might even be partly the point that my Okoye has only been recently champed around, maybe, a year ago?  So it's a baby champ, and doesn't have all those extra levels that everyone else has.  My Kitty is in the same place... and maybe that's the better alternative, due to the baby-champ status?  

I find that sometimes, my half-Thor/baby-champ Apoc is just as fast, but it has the same requirement -- but instead of TU AP, it's just yellow I need.  The red will eventually hit 7 around when yellow does, and then Apoc punches peeps for a nice spread of 48k across the enemies.  Add in baby-champ SamDak for a nice passive black outlet to proc those yellow Shared Strength tiles.

It's all subjective.  Where's my board luck gonna put me?  Is there plenty of yellow?  Team Up AP?  ...or do I just choose Pocket Kitty, and match a strike, no AP needed...  

I'll be honest... I haven't played with the idea TOO much, but I'm thinking of moving my supports around.  If I can find a combination that allows me to do Kitty/Polaris/Juggs, with supports on that create strikes and attacks consistently, it might even be faster.  I just need to buckle down and figure it out, then test it.

EDIT:  I looked at MY supports -- no dice.  I mean, I tried.  Polaris makes one after a turn... Kitty had a support on that made a strike % of the time when matching the strongest color... Juggs had one that had a % chance of making one at the start of the turn.  But there's no way this is as fast.  Too many variables and creating only one at a time, even if it happens, still doesn't guarantee that it gets into a matchable position for Polaris to abuse.  I don't have many strike-creating options, but the ones I have don't guarantee success.  Maybe someone else has better options...  I've never won any infinity gems, and only have 6 rank 4 supports.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am going to add something to your consideration @PiMacleod and it is "fun". I think you might be right and Polaris+Kitty+Rocket can be the fastest team around, and I also agree it is probably safer than Thoryoke99 BUT it looks pretty boring. Other than match a strike in the beginning to start the ball rolling you dont have to do anything, just match any tile, buff all of your strikes passively and after a few turns you win. You can try to get blue to stun some of the enemies to make things even easier, or fire Kitty yellow to protect the team a bit, but you dont really need it that much. Seems like a pretty boring even though extremely effective team.

At least with Thoryoke+spidey99 you have to fire some powers, match some colors, try to maximize the TU conversion with Okoye's yellow, etc. This is a fun team to play.

So, as I just play to get all progression rewards, I think for now I prefer that team ( also because my Kitty is not champed :P )

PS: kitty+brb+polaris might be a tad slower but maybe a safer team for scl10?
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't want to impose my believes onto someone else, that's why the opening was kinda vague.

I'm sure everyone here has one or another reason to nerf Okoye, and whatever their reasoning may be is as valid as someone else's.

Anyway, just to keep this thread moving, my first advice to nerfing her would be making her healing the burst type, not permanent.

Thoughts on that, fellow MPQuesters?
  • ursopro
    Options
    Just a side note, I want to thank the moderators for keeping this place in order.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are many characters that have been released with pathetic attack numbers simply because the dev team anticipates you're using someone to boost their powers. If you nerfed the characters that do the boosting, you turn all of those characters into jokes.
    You can't nerf Okoye.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Borstock said:
    There are many characters that have been released with pathetic attack numbers simply because the dev team anticipates you're using someone to boost their powers. If you nerfed the characters that do the boosting, you turn all of those characters into jokes.
    You can't nerf Okoye.
    Or... you can nerf Okoye if you BUFF EVERYONE!!!  :P

amiright?  amiright?!  :D

@Polares i can see your point of view there... but honestly, its all the same flavor to me.  Dull.  I've come to accept that MPQ has moved on from it's PQ roots and is basically just a roster collecting and managing game.  The match-3 aspect is very minimal, as all basic meta strategies revolve around the main details, set by the team used.
     --  Is Okoye there?  Match TU AP, yellow as secondary chase.  Fire her yellow all the time; keep her in front.
     --  Is Polaris there?  Match a S/A/P tile.  Fire blue when available.
     --  Do you have 5* Thor on your team?  Get him below half health, don't heal him up, ever.
     --  IHulk on your team?  Don't match greens; use with Okoye, see Okoye's rules.

I can keep going.  And I know you can too.  We all can.  The meta comes down to being really really easy to use with near-guaranteed results, as long as you follow a set formula dictated by the characters you're using.  Some don't even add to the formula, depending on the team!  Example:  If using 2099 with Thorkoye, follow Okoye's and Thor's rules.  2099 doesn't add to them, because (unless you got some weird damage-boosting supports on him for blue tiles), he'll never tank over Okoye or Thor.  Sure, firing his powers add to how quick the team wins, but he doesn't really change how you 'play' the match 3 game.

This can all be wildly misconstrued as "PiMacleod is bored with MPQ"... but I'm not.  Instead, I've moved on from my initial reason for discovering and loving MPQ -- adapting to this stage of the game.  I accept that this game is more about the grind for resources, and the fights are just how to get what you need.  The only puzzles left are the Challenge Nodes, The Welcome to Shield 4th nodes for Day 2 and 3, K-Silly (debatable too), and PvP metas.... and even then, the PvP meta doesn't allow for a lot of "puzzle" either.  Once upon a time, I'd add the bosses in there, but now that's at the point of just "outdamaging" them before they do much.

So, yeah... matching S/A/P tiles is probably boring to some... but I say the same thing for green doors and harbinger antics.  It's all the same formula to me.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with OP
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    True heal is one of the main reasons I love Okoye. It saves so many health packs. I regularly play Grockitty on alt account and at some point you will need to use a health pack, usually on Kitty. 

On her own Okoye isn't a meta character. She doesn't boost herself and her red is quite expensive and not overly powerful. 
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The best way to "fix" okoye without making her completely useless is to make her black boost work with active powers only, not passives.
  • ursopro
    Options
    I agree with OP

thank you sir, I knew there were like minded individuals like me out there.
  • Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited December 2020
    Options
    nerf Okoye? ridiculous!

generally speaking:
    MPQ is mostly about strategically improving your roster, over months and years.
    the time investment in each char is huge compared to any other game out there.
    using the nerf on meta characters, goes against what this game is mostly about.
    as of now the is no real compensation for nerfing a char you worked years on improving.
    thus, as long as the character isn't completely broken nerf should be avoided.
    if the character is complete broken, the nerf should come sooner rather than later.

Okoye specifically:
    is essential for CL10 gameplay.
    nerfing her wouldn't just hurt all the years of effort put by the all the top players,
    it would also hinder cl10 gameplay for all players.

[redacted]

**Mod note: removed inappropriate comments - fight4thedream
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If Okoye is nerfed, I believe that the number of players who quit will be significant. 

Okoye is easy to beat and easy to use. Her damage boost can be countered easily by not putting her in front. Generic counters are stunning her or sending her airborne. Her abilities aside, she also represents the kind of values that Marvel has been moving towards: diversity. Therefore, the probability of the dev nerfing her is virtually zero.

Instead of nerf, counters would be more appropriate because it could help to shift the meta around. Currently, in 5* land, there are two specific counters: OMD to deal with her healing and Onslaught to deal with TU tiles. Another type of direct counter is creating character who can steal TU ap passively. Think GED or 5* Deadpool. 

I don't think Okoye is essential for scl10 because Polaris/BRB/Kitty can get the job done. However, Okoye is essential if you are targeting to finish SCL 10 within 20-35 minutes, depending on the levels.

So, more counters are generally better.

• Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    the second one abuses power is when one start losing it.
    one might not realize it right away, cause one might still be high on it. 
    but on retrospect one will see when it all began.
  • JackDeath666
    JackDeath666 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If anything I think she needs a buff. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    True heal is one of the main reasons I love Okoye. It saves so many health packs. I regularly play Grockitty on alt account and at some point you will need to use a health pack, usually on Kitty. 

On her own Okoye isn't a meta character. She doesn't boost herself and her red is quite expensive and not overly powerful. 

I am pretty sure okoye DOES boost herself (and she certainly applies her boosted damage to the aoe attack created by the royal talon fighter support).  The problem is that by herself, red is her only direct damage and is relatively slow.  I would also suggest that it's a bit disingenuous to argue that okoye isn't meta because she is only ok solo. 
    (1) I don't know that it is true that she is only ok solo.  she is slow on her own, but still reasonably strong thanks to a high damage ceiling and true heal. 
    (2) Almost all of this game requires team play and the selection of at least 2 character (only the scattered 1v1 nodes and the challenge column of welcome to shield are pick1), and by her very nature okoye makes just about any teammate much better (and any teammate that can generate lots of damage ticks OR produce yellow AP becomes sublime with her). 
    So I would argue that okoye is inarguably meta no matter how you cut it.  I just think that the case for nerfing her is terribly weak.  She is easy to fight, so she doesn't have a strong negative effect on subjective PVP experience, and she is a huge time save in PVE where the game that asks for 40+ (60+ below CL10) matches from players every day. 
    The solution, IMO, is to add more damage boosters to the game.  damage boosting is such a huge part of the meta, and has been since at least 2018, that almost all new characters are designed in anticipation of their boosted numbers rather than their base damage. Yet we still only have three top tier damage boosters in the game, (kitty, apoc, okoye, and a few second tier options like DD and 2099).  More options will make each of those strong meta characters feel less dominant.  (incidentally, this is why I am relatively high on Heimdall's future meta prospects: cost-reduction is effectively backdoor damage boosting.  If he just got a partner that could passively make lots of red fortified tiles, I think he would pretty clearly become factor in the meta.)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some character who can boost say Quake's defense passive the same way Okoye can boost iHulk's offensive passive would potentially help, but that power can't be active if they want it to "work" in practice against a passive. It never has, but it keeps happening. Unless your power costs 3ap (a single standard match you can get on the start of battle turn), it costs too much to "work."
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How bout you suggest buffs to underperforming characters instead? God knows the devs need the practise.
This discussion has been closed.