How satisfied are you with the current pace of 5* character release ?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People need to realise the majority of players have no intention of champing all characters or "catch up". Some of them just want to play a few nodes here and there for leisure. Some just want to play with their favourite characters. MPQ is not a serious business for them because they prefer to spend more time on other activities. These are also the groups of players who are unlikely to come to the forum. 

The group of players that go to game forums are usually those who are serious about improving their gameplays and want to learn how to progress quickly or get "stronger". 

As you can see, the % of casual players are much higher than your serious players. People can keep on talking about how new players can never champ a 5* without dumping many thousand dollars into the game. However, in the first place, how sure are you that this is their goal? 

I would agree with this broadly, yes. I think SCL9 might represent a bit of a swing towards more serious players simply because it was the highest gated SCL you could play for a long time and probably contains the overflow of players who either cannot do anything in SCL10 or refuse to burn their time there.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    People need to realise the majority of players have no intention of champing all characters or "catch up". Some of them just want to play a few nodes here and there for leisure. Some just want to play with their favourite characters. MPQ is not a serious business for them because they prefer to spend more time on other activities. These are also the groups of players who are unlikely to come to the forum. 

The group of players that go to game forums are usually those who are serious about improving their gameplays and want to learn how to progress quickly or get "stronger". 

As you can see, the % of casual players are much higher than your serious players. People can keep on talking about how new players can never champ a 5* without dumping many thousand dollars into the game. However, in the first place, how sure are you that this is their goal? 
    The bigger question is "how many of those casual players spend ANY money on the game"?

The serious players are those who spend money, by and large.  Yes, some casuals may spend a few dollars on a low cost purchase.  But spending and a serious approach go hand in hand (sometimes spending leads to more serious play to get a higher ROI from those dollars spent).

We all know that the vast majority of people playing the game are just opening it once a day for daily rewards, and play a node or two (I personally did this for about 3 months when I started).

The issues of bigger concern to the devs should be:

1.  How does a faster pace of 5s impact the existing players who spend?  (Maybe it's a net gain from the whales who have no stopping point, and just pour more money in).

2.  If the vets/high end players become dillusioned/demotivated, what kind of feedback do they give to up and comers who might be considering becoming hardcore players and possible spenders?  (on FB/Discord/in alliances/on the forum).  Yes, new players still come in.  This was an issue when the scaling made 5* rosters have a harder time playing the game, leading to softcapping and even now MMR leads many players to be very hesitant to level up their 5s.  This release pace creates a new reason to be hesitant to move into the 5 tier, IMO.

3. Can those new players catch up quick enough to exploit the gaps that might appear in placement to adequately take the place of the retiring veterans?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You and @ThaRoadWarrior are missing that this whole debate started with @Xair saying you can get the CP needed to keep up playing in CL9. So I don’t think anyone is forgetting the shards in 10 (that take twice as long to get). They’re just not relevant to those playing in 9 or to this particular debate. 
    I guess I was kind of sidestepping the SCL9 detail, since that rank is dead to me with the CP reduction. I just know it's less than 10, I couldn't tell you what it is. I was just saying that for me, a progression-only SCL10 player, I don't actually have to organically pull 13 covers anymore since i can get 1-3 from progression it would appear. I found the assertion you can be an SCL9 player and pull down 50cp (specifically) per day pretty wild, but I would agree you can have an average latest legends pull rate of 2-3/day if you factor in all pull sources like LTs and champ rewards. At least you could have done prior to SCL10, because I was pretty publicly doing it on the Grand Experiment tracking thread.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It's difficult to answer the first question because even players who spend can be further categorised depending on a few factors like how much they spend per month, how often they spend, what do they spend on,  how competitively do they play, how often do they play, what modes do they play, what their goals are etc. Also, what kind of impact are we looking at? Financial impact? Emotional impact? Social impact? 

As for the second question, what kind of feedbacks those demotivated veterans give to new players depends on their personalities, how much hatred they have against the devs and how objective they can be? If the veterans are really pissed off, they will simply ask the players to play another game, don't spend a single dime on the game or tell them they will never catch up without dumping $10,000 on the game. It's like giving peer appraisal. Someone who dislikes you will likely give you unfavourable reviews. 

As for catching up, if we are talking about PvEs, champed R4G and Juggernaut will enable new players to catch up to top 10 placement up to SCL 7. It's simply up to them to decided whether they want to allocate 40-50mins of uninterrupted time to get top 10 placements. If we are talking about PvPs and Seasons, it's no secret around here that a special tool is needed.
  • Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    some char's are probably worth advancing more than 450 (px5,brb,okoye...), other chars aren't worth it (ihulk, havok, sinister...). the more cp u earn the more flexible u are to decide where to invest ur extra cp.
    however the debate revolved around the minimum effort one has to make in order to keep up, and i believe it was set to a decent place by selecting scl9 as the go to level for stepping into 5* land.
    setting the bar high enough but not to high, u allow players who want it to make that effort and scale up.
    setting the bar too low, would defuse the end game experience, make it not challenging o rewarding enough.

• Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Xair said:
    some char's are probably worth advancing more than 450 (px5,brb,okoye...), other chars aren't worth it (ihulk, havok, sinister...). the more cp u earn the more flexible u are to decide where to invest ur extra cp.
    Sure. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. I play CL10 in both Story and Versus, usually getting t20. I’m not convinced I can keep up. If you say you can while playing CL9, then good for you and I might play CL9 again in the future to try it too. I’m not sure getting higher ranks in CL9 gives better rewards than I’m currently getting, but once I’m behind, there’s really no harm in trying it out.

Also, I think your last sentence is the key there.. the more CP you earn the more flexible you are to decide where to invest your extra CP.. My champion rewards were enough to supplement the CPs/LTs I was earning from event rewards. At the moment, they’ve cut down the amount of CPs that we are able to win/earn from events, when introducing shards and Mighty tokens into the circulation. I hope they’re enough to replace the resources we’re losing. I’m still not seeing the evidence of that yet and my 3* and 4* farm is already pretty good.

I still think they’ve purposefully cut down on the amount of resources we could gain from events to encourage spending money to buy them instead.
    i am not going to say i am happy about the cp cut from level 9, although i am not sure it was motivated by financial greed. the shard system made it easier to champ recents even if u avoid doing rank 10, and they did add 50 shards to rank 9 progression, also they reworked the feeders not too long ago, is it equivalent to what they took out? not sure, but from my point of view i didn't feel the a need to spend more than i did before the change. 
  • Leela_27
    Leela_27 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I am getting very discouraged with the rapid-fire introduction of characters. There is no way to keep up and I am considering quitting, so obviously not going to spend any more money on this game.  I so wish they'd come up with some genuine content instead of keeping the character pool so impossibly diluted.  Who can use over 240 characters?  And why no feeders for these new 5* characters?  What happened to supports?  Ugh!!!  The game is just getting tedious and a chore.  Not FUN!