Feedback Wanted: Character Balance

Options

Comments

• elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Some characters could use a dusting of nerf powder
    I voted nerf because I believe most broken characters in the game right now, to the point of making me want to stop playing (even though I got them both) are bishop and worthy cap. 

I agree with other people that older 5* need to be buffed though, like Phoenix  oml, banner, etc
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    edited January 2020
    Options
    justsing said:
    I don't know what to vote because why do I have to choose between nerfs and buffs? Why not both?
    If I could (easily) make a multi-poll with this forum software, I would. Alas.

What I would take that poll as is more of:
    Keep characters largely the same
    Bring upper characters down to the same level
    Bring lower characters up to the same level

You may have a preferred method of doing so, but some people like high end nerfs, others like low end bring ups. Same *general* end result in "balance", but different feel in doing so.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I honestly think character balance is the best it has ever been.  There are definitely severely overpowered and underpowered characters, but there have never been so many viable team combinations at all tiers of play and such a healthy rock/paper/scissors metagame in terms of answers to the top teams.

This diversity still only represents about two dozen viable characters on my roster of 300 though, so there is ample room for improvement.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I mean, come on!

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Some characters could use super soldier serum
    Buff the older weaker characters especially match damage wise / health in the 5* tier. At least 10-15 bottom tier 4* need a full revamp of their power set and 4-5 bottom tier 5* do as well. Start with fixing match damage/health since that's easier to do & test and then tackle the reworks.

Save the nerfs for after the buffs and reworks so we can see what nerfs need to still be done (perhaps some reworks or new characters will eliminate need for nerfs if say a 5* character got the ability to negate passive AP gain).

KGB
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do something about dilution and maybe I will be more supportive of the idea of buffs.  But yes, buffs would be nice.

Most of the buffs we have seen in recent years (few as they are) have been small lateral moves.  Doc Ock was properly upgraded in the match damage and health areas but received a very lateral move power-wise (some say a downgrade).  Almost every rebalance is predicated by "we are going to leave the flavor of this character as-is" and therefore powersets just end up looking a little different.

But regardless of how well future buffs are handled there are just some problem characters that I don't see the counters as being any better (if they are even possible).  We've had 28 characters since Bishop debuted yet he's still all over pick-3 PVP.

Every. Single. Time.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor is the only answer. 

Bishop and 4* cap/Hawkeye are annoying and all, but 5* Thor generates 2000 free ap every turn.  If you nerf Thor it also fixes Okoye.  He's super old now, so new players will never get him; you'd only be affecting jaded old vets anyway. 

It's time.  Kill him.
  • leoperez90
    leoperez90 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    let me start by saying thank you for taking the time to hear out us out in this!!

honestly it doesnt bother me that bishop/hammer cap are the way they are, for one it helps 4* land characters attack 5* rosters. those two are still beatable but players just dont hit them because its health pack heavy (i think this is the case) to hit a wave of them in a climb.

i do agree with alot of the opinons here where we need to bring up 4* and 5* to a competitive state, i still dont have all the 5* fully roster because i just dont care to do so because theyre just gonna sit in the bench and only be used in pve.

i have a few ideas to see if it helps with fixing this without touching the "Over powered" characters.
     1.simply make a character that nullifies or stops passives for a brief second or whether its at the start of the turn or a countdown tile, or repeater tile.
     2.make a balance of teams where we have to use a mix of 4*/5* (synergy) that helps you have the upper hand in a match.
     3. this is something we already kinda have but to have more counter character to these characters so that way characters have a weakness to another character. 

thank you!! excited to see the results of this.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buff a lot (classic 5*s especially, and Banner/Hulk double-especially). Mmmmmaybe nerf a couple (Bish and Worthy).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Background info: 4* player with majority of 4* champed. Plays PvPs and PvEs competitively, but not competitive enough to join LINE.

Nerf

1. 5* Thor passive ap gain
    2. Gritty's purple that overwrite those 4 special tiles.
    3. Bishop

Reason for choosing Thor is because he's the measuring stick (due to gaining 5 aps per turn) for future 5* characters. In order to replace Thor, someone need to be better than what Thor is doing.

Reason for choosing Bishop is so that we have something new to talk about here.

The only threat Hammercap presents is him taking forever for his CDs to finish. He's only good with C4rol/R4G and 5* Hawkeye. 

Generally speaking, I prefer buffs and hard counters more than nerfs because

1. meta comes and goes
    2. putting together teams to beat meta teams is like solving puzzles.

If the dev decided to buff characters, especially 5* characters, make sure they fall into meta or good tier. If not, you are wasting your time. I think the reworked 5* Dr Ock is a good example. He still belongs to the bottom tier even with increased match damage and higher damage.
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    First, I'm wholly against nerfs.  That being said, unpopular opinion: nerf Rocket4. 

You complain about bishop at the end of shield sim, but who are the two people on either side of him?  In my experience, it's Gritty.

Wanna talk about a character in every fight?  Rocket has overpowered pairings with kitty, gamora4, bishop, hammercap/c4rol, juggernaut, and medusa/carnage.  

You shouldn't nerf anyone.  Make the other 5s and 4s worthwhile.

Buffs for everyone
  • Kingart813
    Kingart813 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No nerfs, buff the older characters, and lower ap cost.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Always prefer a buff over a nerf. A nerf would lead to more players asking for compensation.

edit: An idea I had to get around the damage trigger threshold was to have abilities that doesn't count as damage. Mtg used to have separation between life lost and damage dealt where lost of life did not count as damage.