Update to 4-Star Pack Odds (6/4/18)

Options

Comments

• moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    I don't completely understand you, so let me take a part of what you said and try to rephrase it, in the hopes that by your telling me how I'm wrong I can understand better. :-)

Story Mode and 3-Star Versus Tournament
    • Vintage 4-Star odds increased by approximately 200%
    • Overall 4-Star odds increased by approximately 25%
    If you have a token specific to a Story-mode tournament or a versus tournament with a required 3*, you have a 25% greater chance to get a 4* cover in exchange for your token.  We're no longer distinguishing between latest and vintage 4*s, so your chance of getting a vintage 4* will increase even more.

Is that correct?
    After these changes, the odds of you getting a 4-Star character from those tokens are 25% higher than they used to be. (For example, if it used to be 40%, then now it's 50%) Since there is no longer a distinction between Latest and Vintage characters, that's correct that Vintage characters subsequently get an increase in pack odds.
    Brigby , at the risk of killing the magic, would you be able to give some explicit Legendary percentages:

1. Are the odds of pulling Legendary characters 1:7 (per the token screen, 14.3%) or 15%, as is stated on the forum?

2. Are the odds of the Latest/Vintage characters 4x/1x (per the token screen) or 50/50, as is stated on the forum? With 65 4*s, that currently puts the Latest/Vintage split at 1/1.1; about 10% weighted towards Vintage 4*s..
    1) These pack changes only affect the odds of individual 4-Star characters. The overall odds for 4 and 5-Stars in Legendary Tokens are unchanged. (4-Star is still 6:7, and 5-Star is still 1:7)

2) After the changes, there will no longer be a distinction between Latest and Vintage. All 4-Star characters will have the same pack odds spread evenly across them, subsequently increasing the odds of acquiring a Vintage character. In addition, some Comic Stores will have increased overall odds of acquiring any 4-Star character.
    broll said:
    -snip-

Also can you clarify something. Is this only a chance to 4* odds or as in vintage vs latest or is this going to affect the odds of 2*, 3*, and/or 5* rates?
    5-Star and 3-Star rates will not be affected. For the packs that have increased overall 4-Star odds, the 2-Star odds will be lowered to make room for those changes.
    So that would mean that this is the change we are getting:
    example 1400 heroic or event tokens

Old System (1:14 odds, 4x for latest or 48/101)
    expected 100 4 star covers
    47 latest, 53 vintage

New System (1:14 x 1.25 odds, 1x for latest or 12/65)
    expected 125 4 star covers
    23 latest, 102 vintage

And that's just the 2/3/4 tokens.  If the 4x odds for latest is going away for legendary tokens as well, I know that for me because I earn the vast majority of my 4 star covers from legendaries, the total number of latest 4 star covers is going to *drop dramatically*.

EDIT:
    I have a much better solution if you want to increase 4 star covers earned by 25%, keep the old system that works and everyone likes and instead increase the odds of getting bonus heroes by 10-20%
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So if my takeaway is accurate it almost feels like change for the sake of change.  The post-vaulting middle ground seemed to be pretty agreeable to most.  Boosting odds to pull 4s is a good thing but at the cost of full dilution makes it a neutral move at best, or probably another 1 step forward, 2 steps back sort of thing.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So if my takeaway is accurate it almost feels like change for the sake of change.  The post-vaulting middle ground seemed to be pretty agreeable to most.  Boosting odds to pull 4s is a good thing but at the cost of full dilution makes it a neutral move at best, or probably another 1 step forward, 2 steps back sort of thing.
    Did you expect anything else from the guys who bet the house on supports?
  • brontag1
    brontag1 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Count me as not a fan of the change to 'no more vintage/latest covers'.  Personally I have all of the vintage 4*'s champed or ready to champ when ISO becomes available, but 5 of my latest hero's are under covered.  My normal plan is to hoard legendary and CP's until I either want the 3 latest 5* characters champed or have 12 under covered 4* latest characters.  Looks like my choices now are:

1)  Use my hoard of CP now to get my 5 undercovered 4* latest hero's champed or close to it (level 172 at least for deadpool's daily).  However this won't help 4* spidey since he's new and I need more ISO to properly level everyone.

2)  Continue hoarding and hope they come up with more solutions (upping the bonus hero rate or allowing us to mark selected characters as getting better draw chance odds) and let the latest 4* hero's get behind more.  The problem with that is when those characters start getting featured in deadpool's daily then I'll be missing out on legendary tokens)

Hoarding wins again I think, but not a fan of the change as it stands without more changes coming.

The best part of this announcement is the hint that we might finally have a solution coming to the problem of getting to many wasted covers we have to sell unless a character is champed.

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ah demi...  :D 

Although personally I'm a little indifferent to the change until we get more details, especially on how often 4* PvPs are going to be run.

I'm still an advocate for more gametypes/modes.

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What time will the new odds take effect?
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Interesting change. I'm a 2 match a day man now on dpd, as its gone a bit stagnant for me personally, but I still pop on here to see if there has been any new er.......... news.

I have a fair hoard pending however I don't think this would stop me or encourage me to pull.

I could get a whole load of new covers etc or a nice load of champ levels. I still wouldn't be able to use them all tho. That's the change im after D3.

It seems positive overall and the communication is appreciated. Thanks

• BobMurdoch
    BobMurdoch Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How about getting rid of the 14 day expiration of covers?  I don't mind hoarding 3,4,5* covers until I champ them....  I have sold several 5* covers because I knew I would never see another single 5* cover of that character before the 6th cover expired.  At the very least, delete the expiration for non champed characters that have reached max covers....
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This system will make a lot more sense when by making a character BH it also increases the odds of drawing that character dramatically. Say 33% of every 4 drawn is a BH marked 4.

Fantasy wish: make BH cover specific. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love better odds. Great change! Focusing so much on broken pvp is disappointing however.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Shintok17 oops! You quoted my comment before I was able to delete it. I intended to post it in the Spider-Man (Infinity War) thread but somehow I posted it here. Anyway, the H4H deal for supports are pretty much the same except for who the 4* are. It's 250CP. Looks like this will be the support deal from now onwards.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Shintok17 oops! You quoted my comment before I was able to delete it. I intended to post it in the Spider-Man (Infinity War) thread but somehow I posted it here. Anyway, the H4H deal for supports are pretty much the same except for who the 4* are. It's 250CP. Looks like this will be the support deal from now onwards.
    Don't worry I just deleted my comment as well and created a thread since it did not go with the topic of this one. 
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I see d3 is continuing to live by the old adage "if it ain't broke let's fix it till it is." 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    if I had to guess, the change is due to streamlining their process. By removing the difference between vintage and latest 4*s, there is less work to (manually) rotate them as new characters are released. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Curious to see if we'll be able to "hold" covers in roster slots and then combine/recover those covers into Champs.

That's my speculation at this point.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    it's been awhile since i've seen them take one step forward, two steps back.  i guess we were due.  sucks to people show are just starting out.  instead of working on a hoard and saving up and being able to champ some good characters, now they get to get spread it allllll out among 65+.  

bring back vaulting, or make another freaking LT store for crying out loud.  give people some choice over here.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Again we get this dropped on us with zero communication. Again some insight into why they are returning to dilution when no one asked for it would be nice. 

Mark my words, the next 4* release will be meta-defining/super great. They are going to to use it to see if people will spend or bust their hoards chasing a character they won’t otherwise get their hands on for probably over a year or two. As someone noted above, without taking bonus heroes into account; it now takes about 1200 pulls or 30,000 CP to max a 4*. Mind you, on the way to max-covering the next 4* you should have pulled enough to max-cover TWELVE 5*. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm mad because I'm at 9/13 or 10/13 for P4nther, Shuri, and Valkyrie, all characters I've been eagerly pushing to get covered and am excited to champ and play with, but now instead of having that be a reality in a month or so it  is being pushed out of reach.

Another character I was excited to roster and cover and play with, but whom never knew the joy of increased pull odds, was Kate Bishop. She was released two years ago (June 2016) and I've just now finally gotten her fully covered but not yet champed (June 2018.) Since my P4nther, Shuri, and Valkyrie are well on their way, perhaps they'll be playable champs in 2019. Hopefully the meta hasn't left them behind by then!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,501 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that after this goes through, you'll be 3.8X as likely to pull a Latest 5 out of a pull than any specific 4* under the current dilution (65 4's).