Update to 4-Star Pack Odds (6/4/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited June 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Get ready to see more 4-Star characters! No, I’m not talking about the new Spider-Man (although I heard he’s fun to play ;) ) I’m talking about improving the odds of getting a 4-Star character from packs! We wanted to give players a better chance at getting all 4-Star characters, not just a select few, so we're adding some tweaks and improvements to Heroic, Legendary, Story Mode, 3-Star Versus, and 4-Star Versus Comic Store odds.

This Wednesday (6/6), we will be adjusting odds for all packs that have a chance at giving out a 4-Star character, and adding 4-Star characters into 4-Star Versus Tournament Comic Stores. With the addition of these changes, we will also be on the lookout for opportunities to run 4-Star Versus Tournaments more frequently.

The odds for Latest 4-Star characters will be adjusted to match the odds for Vintage 4-Stars, however the odds for Vintage characters will significantly increase, and most Comic Stores will have higher odds of acquiring a 4-Star character overall. This means that there will no longer be a distinction between Vintage and Latest 4-Stars going forward. With these changes, players should have a consistent and quicker growth rate, concurrently for all 4-Star characters, than they did previously with their Vintage ones.

Here are the Comic Store changes you can expect to see:

Story Mode and 3-Star Versus Tournament
  • Vintage 4-Star odds increased by approximately 200%
  • Overall 4-Star odds increased by approximately 25%
4-Star Versus Tournament
  • All 4-Star characters added to packs. Same odds as Story Mode and 3-Star Versus Tournament.
  • New Release / Featured at higher odds than all 4-Star characters:
    • 1x odds for featured character is approximately 10x higher than other 4-Star characters
    • 10x odds for featured character is approximately 20x higher than other 4-Star characters
  • Overall 4-Star odds increased by approximately 100%
Heroic
  • 1x odds for Vintage 4-Star characters increased by 50%
  • 10x odds for Vintage 4-Star characters increased by 100%
  • Overall 4-Star odds remain the same
Legendary
  • Vintage 4-Star characters increased by approximately 50%
  • Overall 4-Star odds remain the same

Comments

• n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I take this as I am only going to pull 2* 90% of the time.  I kid, sounds like a good change overall
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Soooo... slighly better PvE tokens (good) PvP tokens (useless for me) and more PvP events (also useless for me).
    How about making PvP finally playable and actually entertaining. Or how about making roster useful - i mean i have 150+ characters i am barely using. Give us some daily Boss challenge where we could use all our characters (each character once per day) to deal as much damage as possible for some good rewards.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,196 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a lot to take in, I'm not going to cast judgment yet..... 
  • Lord_Mephisto
    Lord_Mephisto Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ok, so, basically, they’ve shaken the board again and changed the rules (not a bad one...) without any good reason. Now, we’ll be forced to open more packs to get latest 4* that, right now, usually are champed before turning into vintage. So bad...
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    And the paradigm shift begins!
  • Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    fmftint said:
    Here's a thought,  how about posting the ACTUAL odds instead of
    We increased them 200%!

THIS ... There has got to be some regulatory body we can report them to for the opaque gambling that goes on in this game

Also brigby says these are some of the changes. Why not list them all? Is there a character limit or something?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Mujo5 said:
    -snip-

Also brigby says these are some of the changes. Why not list them all? Is there a character limit or something?
    Ah, sorry. That's just a remnant of the editing and finalization process. Those should be all of the changes to 4-Star pack odds. I've edited that one line to be more definitive.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we get a timeline on the wasted cover item?  My 3 red Valkyrie covers dying on the vine are sad  :/

As for the distribution of 3*/4* pvp, why not run both at the same time, with the caveat that you can only pick one pvp per time frame?
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's about time you start doing 4* pvp, something you should've been doing a year or two ago. Also, your finally looking for a solution for duplicate covers over five, this has been a problem since near the start of the game, this game is so far behind the curve design wise it's embarrassing. I guess better late than never.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @IceIX

Why do you have to look for more opportunities to run more 4* PvP? Why can't you just run a 4* PvP alongside the current 3*? 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    BTW, someone should thank you for actually telling us about this before it went live.  Two wholes days before.  I know I'm going to save my tokens until the change
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Here's a simpler question specifically about Legendary tokens: It says odds of Vintage 4*s are increasing by roughly 50% but the overall odds of pulling a 4* are the same for those tokens (about 85% or 6 in 7). But I also see a line about there not being a distinction between Latest and Vintage after this change.

Could you confirm that the odds of pulling a 4* is going to be split evenly across all 4*s (other than the Dino and Duck) or is there still a division? Because the math on the LT comment doesn't add up for me unless you are talking about categories and not individual covers.

• Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby

I don't completely understand you, so let me take a part of what you said and try to rephrase it, in the hopes that by your telling me how I'm wrong I can understand better. :-)

Story Mode and 3-Star Versus Tournament
    • Vintage 4-Star odds increased by approximately 200%
    • Overall 4-Star odds increased by approximately 25%
    If you have a token specific to a Story-mode tournament or a versus tournament with a required 3*, you have a 25% greater chance to get a 4* cover in exchange for your token.  We're no longer distinguishing between latest and vintage 4*s, so your chance of getting a vintage 4* will increase even more.

Is that correct?
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Brigby , at the risk of killing the magic, would you be able to give some explicit Legendary percentages:

1. Are the odds of pulling Legendary characters 1:7 (per the token screen, 14.3%) or 15%, as is stated on the forum?

2. Are the odds of the Latest/Vintage characters 4x/1x (per the token screen) or 50/50, as is stated on the forum? With 65 4*s, that currently puts the Latest/Vintage split at 1/1.1; about 10% weighted towards Vintage 4*s..