Gilded Lotus

Options

Comments

• Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I’ve requested a refund via iTunes. They can take Karn and the cards and the 5K mana runes but I would like the surplus mana runes that I spent leveling him credited to my account.

I don’t think that this is an unfair request. 
    I think you should wait a bit... at least until the final version is released..? Maybe they will just go back to the original version.
    its just silly to nerf this card (considering that people paid real cash for it) when we have been dealing with really broken ones like NP, omniscience, etc...
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Has it been confirmed that the image shown in the DOM gallery is indeed an updated version for the 2.7 release?  
    All 6 of the current DOM cards that came with the last update have different costs from the version in the gallery (both creatures cost less and all 4 supports cost more in the gallery pics).  
    Non-finalized and outdated images have gone into the gallery in the past.  The Elite Collection gallery has the older images of the Ixalan MPs before they were fixed.
    I was going to look into the Ixalan card gallery itself, as there were many recent changes to that set, but that entire gallery is missing at present.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Enygma6 said:
    Has it been confirmed that the image shown in the DOM gallery is indeed an updated version for the 2.7 release?  
    All 6 of the current DOM cards that came with the last update have different costs from the version in the gallery (both creatures cost less and all 4 supports cost more in the gallery pics).  
    Non-finalized and outdated images have gone into the gallery in the past.  The Elite Collection gallery has the older images of the Ixalan MPs before they were fixed.
    I was going to look into the Ixalan card gallery itself, as there were many recent changes to that set, but that entire gallery is missing at present.
    @Brigby do you know anything about this?
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I thought the original was too strong.  But the gallery version feels like an over-nerf.  I think reducing the bonus to 1 and reducing the cost a little, or just increasing the cost a bit would have done the trick.

It's also not clear yet whether the gallery version is correct, or whether there are further tweaks in store.  We'll find out in due course.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a bunch of spells in the set that deal with "mana bonuses" so increasing them is _different_ from just getting mana. It probably turned out to be too strong in THAT environment. You are thinking about it in the -current- environment. Remember how we all thought treasures would be useless too?

I do think they went overboard in adjusting it, but mostly I just think the delivery was poorly done. Instead of letting people find it themselves in the gallery it would've been good to have an article going "Hey! New thing in the game! This now matters! Look at this card and this! Think about how that'd work with so and so... And, hey, it seems gilded lotus was too strong, so we (mumble mumble) but hey! This is great right!" And that would've headed off most people's worries.

But only most, some people like being dramatic or pessimistic or grumpy. Everyone can find a reason to complain on the internet.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sorry I've been sleeping under a rock, was the +2 a glitch or was it nerfed to +1?
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    HAH, just saw my post on the first page that I totally forgot about...sleeping under a rock indeed.

CONSISTENCY
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sorry I've been sleeping under a rock, was the +2 a glitch or was it nerfed to +1?
    Nerf hammered. Well, not yet, but per the gallery it will be. And it will cost 2 more mana.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Froggy said:
    Nerf hammered. Well, not yet, but per the gallery it will be. And it will cost 2 more mana.
    I don't own gilded lotus yet, but I hope this is a glitch with the sneak-peek

if it was available for purchase at +2 with a cmc of 2 less, they should not be nerfing it once Dominaria is released only weeks later...that sort of deceptive advertising is bad for PR.

random sidenote: I would totally run the planeswalker you have as your avatar in my old "Hoppidy Hop Hop" mtg deck (Blue/Green Spore Frog/Turn to Frog/Haze Frog/Omnibian deck.  Never wins a game but slows down opponents for the lols)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    This is another example of overcompensating when a card is too powerful.  The correct way to nerf Gilded Lotus was probably to increase its cost to 9-10 mana but leave the +2 feature.  Both increasing the cost AND reducing the +1 to mana gains makes it nearly unplayable.

I agree with you 110%!!! Your post is exactly my frame of mind about the issue. Would've been better to increase the cost and leave the original text alone. But the suggested fix pretty much makes it unplayable competitively. (I say 'suggested,' since it has not been officially changed yet and could get retweaked ... hopefully) especially if they kept the same shield count which would be a greater insult. I would rather spend my mana on something else more effective than cast this nerfed version
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Froggy said:
    I don't own gilded lotus yet, but I hope this is a glitch with the sneak-peek

if it was available for purchase at +2 with a cmc of 2 less, they should not be nerfing it once Dominaria is released only weeks later...that sort of deceptive advertising is bad for PR.

random sidenote: I would totally run the planeswalker you have as your avatar in my old "Hoppidy Hop Hop" deck (Blue/Green Spore Frog/Turn to Frog deck.  Never wins a game but slows down opponents for the lols)
    It sets a bad precedent for future purchases when making a pre-sale for a set batch only to change the product a few weeks later. It shows a lack of professionalism, bad business and creates a lack of trust between company and player. Also, they give no explanation for such a blatant bait and switch even how small it is. All said and done it is a great game with poor management. They are already pushing for a new set when the game is riddled with bugs and an unstable server. I can't blame Brigby because I believe he has no authority on commenting on business decisions  as he only releases info given to him, moderates bad behavior and garners information of bugs. The "why" and "how come" questions will never be answered. Ok back to leveling up Karn. What a grind!
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still waiting on the release before jumping to any reaction, but I'm feeling tense over this game's management for the first time.

Having paid for the Karn package solely because of the Lotus, it seems like a big feel-bad is looming.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jtwood said:
    I'm still waiting on the release before jumping to any reaction, but I'm feeling tense over this game's management for the first time.

Having paid for the Karn package solely because of the Lotus, it seems like a big feel-bad is looming.
    I'm also waiting for final release to make my judgement on the issue.
    The lotus was the bonus that made me buy Karn also so it would be a little annoying if this is the case.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    While Lotus was a factor in my decision to buy Karn, it’s not what really bugs me.  What annoys me is we have HUF, Omniscience, Deploy the Gatewatch, New Perspectives, etc.  and they choose this card to nerf?  Where are their priorities?
  • AzraelCB
    AzraelCB Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This does feel like a bait and switch... and not just because of Guilded Lotus. 4 out of the 5 cards that came with Karn got worse. Bloodtallow candle also had its cost increased from 6 to 9. Jousting Lance went from 7 to 10. Navigation Compass went from 5 to 9. Now... Howling Golem went from 14 to 11... so... we got that going for us...

Again, we don't know if these are permanent or not. Considering that all of these came out early, I am hoping that they were the final products... but I would have thought that they gallery would have been addressed by this point.

I don't know what to think right now... but I know I am not happy.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited May 2018
    Options
    While Lotus was a factor in my decision to buy Karn, it’s not what really bugs me.  What annoys me is we have HUF, Omniscience, Deploy the Gatewatch, New Perspectives, etc.  and they choose this card to nerf?  Where are their priorities?
    agreement on guided lotus not being nerfed.  100%.

personally, I'd prefer they don't nerf cards at all, especially ones that they've already put in legacy, as that is it's own form of nerf, since you can't play the cards in any coalition event that isn't Avacyn's Madness.

The only reason I wanted a nerf on Omniscience (and only a slight nerf) was to stop the 10min+ loops.  If I'm going to lose, that's fine...but don't make me wait for it. lol
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i can see adding to the cost making it 9-10 mana and leaving the shields the same, vraskas when it came out was too powerful for the 7 cost but taking away from the mana gains to boot is not a nerf bat it is  getting nerf tanked. Yes i realize it is a permanent gain as long as it is on the board, but hixxus is more dangerous and just as durable,( which most realize unless it gets in a lower corner it is pretty easy to get rid of