Tapping.....

Options

Comments

• Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Had someone in my bracket who started tapping 8 hours before pve end today to ensure he'd get first place over me. 

An hour of tapping cause you've got extra time? Sure, why not. 8 hours though? That can't be healthy. Especially since it was cl7 and all he got was 500 iso and an extra Cho cover.  
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 977 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I played SCL8 this time on my alt and ended up 20th. No tapping, no optimal clearing schedule. Just doing all nodes with my first concern being t50 every day for the hp. Logically an end t50 was to be expected, but maybe some people stopped after max progression. Not that there's a lot of difference placing 11th or 50th. But i'm quite happy and actually a bit surprised bc i usually do SCL7 and often place lower than now. Did nothing more than i do in SCL7.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You people that are trying to defend tapping as a legitimate way to win the best rewards are delusional and/or simply kidding yourselves or trolling. Not only have the devs come out and said it's not intended gameplay (and have actually tested removing it), the tappers themselves have admitted it's no good! One of the most notorious tappers posted here on the forums how his wrist and fingers ached, he become grumpy and irritable, and basically what an awful experience it was. He also said he'd never do it again but continues to do so every single event.

They need to be saved from themselves. Blood clots are real!!!
    The devs also acknowledged that the versus mode is not to their liking by doing some tests and running a whole season with a different structure. And yet here we are with the same old versus format.

Nobody is delusional. Shockingly different people have different opinions and preferences.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. This is a rather hot-button topic, so just for due diligence before things get out of hand, I want to give everyone a friendly reminder to please keep all comments civil and on-topic. Thank you!
    @Brigby   I am sorry if I come off like a jerk with this, but this falls directly at D3/Demi’s feet. 

You have the fix. 
    You ran the test.  
    You have the ability to end this. 
    Not us. 
    You. 

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So this week is spring break at the university I work at and for all intents and purposes my office is closed (I still have to respond to emergencies). So I joined slice 3 instead of my usual 4 (CL8). 

Decided to hit the treadmill everyday while doing my clears. Got 3rd, no tapping!  And they say MPQ isn’t healthy... imagine how in shape I’d be if I were tapping!!

And before someone responds with “you’d probably die on that treadmill”...

yes that last part was a joke

• Dogface
    Options
    So this week is spring break at the university I work at and for all intents and purposes my office is closed (I still have to respond to emergencies). So I joined slice 3 instead of my usual 4 (CL8). 

Decided to hit the treadmill everyday while doing my clears. Got 3rd, no tapping!  And they say MPQ isn’t healthy... imagine how in shape I’d be if I were tapping!!

Is your ingame name the same or similar to your name here? Bc im in the same slice. Maybe it flipped
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Dogface said:

Is your ingame name the same or similar to your name here? Bc im in the same slice. Maybe it flipped
    Yes sir. What do you mean flipped?
  • Dogface
    Options
    I believe it means that if i bracket is full, another bracket opens. So we might be in the same SCL and with the same starting time, but in another bracket.
  • Daredevil217
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dogface said:
    I believe it means that if i bracket is full, another bracket opens. So we might be in the same SCL and with the same starting time, but in another bracket.
    I know what a flip is but I think I realize my mistake. I think I was in SL2 not 3. Whatever one ended about 2.5 hours ago. And I got third in TaT, I have yet to join Venom bomb.
  • Dogface
    Options
    Ah, in that case all is moot. What was your score if i might ask?
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. This is a rather hot-button topic, so just for due diligence before things get out of hand, I want to give everyone a friendly reminder to please keep all comments civil and on-topic. Thank you!
    @Brigby   I am sorry if I come off like a jerk with this, but this falls directly at D3/Demi’s feet. 

You have the fix. 
    You ran the test.  
    You have the ability to end this. 
    Not us. 
    You. 

I’m sure they have other prioritie$.
  • Daredevil217
    edited March 2018
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I think I was in SL2 not 3. Whatever one ended about 2.5 hours ago. 
    1. The one that ends at that time is slice 3
    2. S3.8 is not as competitive as S3.9 and they flip a few times. The later flips are easier to rank higher.
    2. No LTs in SCL8, means there’s no incentive for lvl 550 rosters to play there and tap.
    3. You joined a late bracket. Even in SCL9, it is unlikely for a tapper to join late.
    4. The rewards were Cho, people might still think he’s the worst 4* and didn’t try
    5. Like you said.. it’s spring break.

Oh I wasn’t really boasting about my placement. I’m a pretty consistent T10 player even on new releases (again CL8), I was more making a joke about how “healthy” tapping would have been for me as I would have spent more time on the treadmill. I didn’t join too late but didn’t prejoin either. I think I was at full progression before the last sub opened. 

Dogface said:
    Just under 90k
  • Dogface
    Options
    Really? Then ive picked a wrong bracket. I had about 15k more and it got me t20.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ...So I joined slice 3 instead of my usual 4 (CL8)... Got 3rd, no tapping!
    Dogface said:
    Just under 90k
    This is what I think people should be complaining about.  I was also in CL8, played as efficiently as I could (missed a 100 point node early because I got home from work late), finished with ~111k and got 13th. 

People are complaining that tappers put in all this extra time and work to earn their rewards, and yet others can just watch brackets flip, join late, play more casually and get better rewards.  Makes no sense to me.  IMO, rewards should be percentile based, and shouldn't reward people because they're able to pick an easy bracket.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Does anyone disagree that removing tapping will not solve perceived placement rewards and/or sense of unfairness problems?

Removing tapping problem will move us to the next "problem" on the list: speed clearing or the top placements go to players who can clear the nodes the fastest. With tapping gone, it still doesn't solve other placement rewards problems or sense of unfairness perceived by other players. Another perceived "problem" is scheduling conflict for other players.

The typical/common reasons of these three problems are:

1) Tapping: unfair to those who rather spend their time doing other things than tapping; thus, tappers get top placements.

2) Speed clearing: fastest team wins and it means that you have to be using the same characters or certain type of characters for most of the nodes if you want to get better placements. Players without the "right" characters are at an disadvantage for placement rewards.

3) Only 5 available time slices to choose from: can't find a perfect time slice that fits in with real life schedule. Some players feel that they are at an disadvantage and can't get better placements as a result of this.

I believe that many of you can agree that you can get full progression rewards if you play optimally even with the existence of those three problems stated above.

The "problem", that I think, is, those players who perceived that there's a problem, are not getting the placement rewards that they think they deserve if a level playing field exists for them.

If PvE is executed in such a way that it is a perfect game mode for every single player, does it guarantee that you will get top placement rewards? No. There's a possibility that you could fare worse compared to a scenario with the existence of those "problems". I think the answer to not getting top placement rewards despite a perfect scenario for that particular player could be "at least I tried my best and lost in a "fair" competition."

What's the real problem? Should a perceived problem be defined as a real problem if it affects 80%-90% of  players or if it affects 10-20% of the players?

Does the real problem lies with PvE or is it a perceived problem for players who feel that the game is unfair to them because of the structure of PvE?
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    ^^^

Meh, I disagree but to each their own. I’ve said this in another thread but I like the tradeoff. Join a later “slacker bracket”’and you risk missing out on node rewards, sub placement rewards, better alliance rewards, and possibly all those sweet sweet progression rewards at the end.  The payoff for all those extra points you earned were all those rewards (that REALLY add up) you got that were left on the table by everyone in my bracket who may have missed the first sub entirely. So you got compensated, you just aren’t recognizing it. And those who join later only have the possibility of easier competition, it’s not even a guarantee. Just like I don’t tap, I don’t have it in me to join every event right after the current one ends. In your proposed method if someone doesn’t start as soon as the event starts then they are automatically out of contention for placement rewards. I love that they don’t punish us for that and we still have the possibility of competing. Luckily I don’t see this changing because it makes too much sense to have early joiners compete with early joiners and late joiners with late joiners as long as brackets remain (and I doubt they’re going away anytime soon as they’re a part of every game mode not just PVE).

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I am in the same boat as Zero Karma was last event.  Did my grind in 23 mins and now in 8th place because they tapping an extra 500 points in sub 1. 

In fact, I cleared sub 2 first in 19 mins and they are still not done with theirs.  They cannot keep up with pure speed, they can only win to tap tap tap for 3-10 hours each sub.  only way they can win. 

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I am in the same boat as Zero Karma was last event.  Did my grind in 23 mins and now in 8th place because they tapping an extra 500 points in sub 1. 

In fact, I cleared sub 2 first in 19 mins and they are still not done with theirs.  They cannot keep up with pure speed, they can only win to tap tap tap for 3-10 hours each sub.  only way they can win. 

In s1, maybe.
    In s2 they finish the clears first AND then tap on top of that.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

In s1, maybe.
    Why clear fast when you know you're gonna tap? An extra 15 minutes to compensate for slow clears is nothing to them.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Daiches said:
    Bowgentle said:

In s1, maybe.
    Why clear fast when you know you're gonna tap? An extra 15 minutes to compensate for slow clears is nothing to them.

I am in a current s2 bracket and can confirm the few that broke (hours) early to tap are simply hitting the sub 1 4E node over and over again, moving up 3 points at a time. They have not cleared anything other than that node thus far.