Tapping.....

xAzra3lx
xAzra3lx Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
So have we had any information on the status of the update to get rid of tapping?

I am so ready for tapping to not be a thing anymore .

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said when he knows, you’ll know. 

And D3 is away at a convention. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It probably takes a while to analyze the data anyway. With Easter just around the corner, I don't expect any updates in the immediate future.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is a New Feature! coming, which everyone knows.  So maybe that’s taking their efforts as they get ready to roll it out and they aren’t focused on prepping a new anti tapping test.  Or perhaps they haven’t really had a chance to look at the data, even.

But I am also very excited for tapping to go away.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    This event is nuts.  After Sub 1, there is a Slice 1 bracket that is already over.  They tapped for 700 points. The one guy that is in this bracket is one of the fastest players for pve.  He has gone head to head with 550 guys and still beats them.

It is sad to see that even though you finish your clears first and can clear a sub at the end in 25 mins for the max refresh points, that they can “Tap” for 2-10 hours to get the top placement.  I put tap in quotes because some believe that their is a REDACTION do nothing.  
  • bluewolf
    Anyone with a champed Thor and time can tap tap tap all day/night long. He pretty much does everything for you.

I dunno if it’s early clears but 2 players in my 2.9 bracket are over 16k already.   Top guy is all 550’s. Enjoy your LT/Falcap. 
  • MGray
    MGray Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I am new to this lingo what is tapping please?
  • bluewolf
    MGray said:
    Hitting the same node over and over for hours - each time being 2-4 pts per hit. You need to clear early (not wait for timers) to have it pay off.

Some people do it for 16+ hours.
  • MGray
    MGray Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    thanks 
  • xAzra3lx
    xAzra3lx Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    I lost top 2 because of tapping in the simulator.  Was 2nd the whole event, and then the last day tapped out of place. Ended 11th. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    bluewolf said:
    MGray said:
    Hitting the same node over and over for hours - each time being 2-4 pts per hit. You need to clear early (not wait for timers) to have it pay off.

Some people do it for 16+ hours.
    And the rest of the people complain about it for 16+ hours.

Damn straight. Until something gets done, like instituting the last test as the real deal. 

I posted about the test, and how I lost to a great PvE player by one point for the top spot. It was a lot of fun. Two events later, I was in the same bracket as that person and he tapped for 1000 points per sub. So, at the end of the day, changing to a less tap-friendly setup would have saved him many, many hours. Hours that he could have spent watching spring training, and wondering if the World Series champs were going to repeat. Walking through the park enjoying the first signs of spring (unless he's in the northeast and frozen solid), or perhaps talking to the family and acknowledging their existence. 

Here we are in Thick or Thieves. T1 - T5 in my bracket have tapped their way to insurmountable leads after Sub 1. That means the rest of the event for me is now meaningless, though I can be seriously lazy with my clears and focus more at the gym in the morning. Win win. I am not going to worry about clearing optimally, and I certainly won't need to buy health packs!

P.S. - If I recall correctly, the last test is just the way things used to be. MMPQGA!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I enjoyed a final hurrah with tapping this weekend and got my first ever T1 (take that time slices!!)

This was only my 3rd time tapping and will likely be my last.  It was a nice occasional avenue that I'm personally sad to see go, but don't disagree that it probably should go.  I just hope they work towards fixing the time slice injustice that's been around a lot longer!  I recognize that ones much harder to fix, but for those it effects it effects them every time.
  • broll
    edited March 2018
    broll said:
     I just hope they work towards fixing the time slice injustice that's been around a lot longer!
    Tapping predates slices. Seriously. The first incidents of tapping were discussed openly in the game's first months of life.

If you mean play scheduled around arbitrary end points, then yeah, they were both birthed from the same format, at the same time.

Excuse my ignorance then.  I've been pretty regular here for almost two years and it seems like up until recently it was never complained about.  Time slices I've seen regularly complained about (and not just by me) over the time I've been here.

I also won't throw out the idea that this is confirmation bias because I remember the important threads that affect me and don't remember tapping threads because at the time I didn't know what tapping meant.

Whatever the case I still hope something happens to fix/improve the game play for those negatively effected by current slices.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma said:

So, at the end of the day, changing to a less tap-friendly setup would have saved him many, many hours. Hours that he could have spent watching spring training, and wondering if the World Series champs were going to repeat. Walking through the park enjoying the first signs of spring (unless he's in the northeast and frozen solid), or perhaps talking to the family and acknowledging their existence. 
    I am strongly against players wanting to save other players from themselves. If that player feels that tapping a node endlessly is a better use of their time than watching baseball or frolicking in the park, then I’m in no place to judge that. I personally have never tapped and feel it would be a waste of time, but I believe others who do tap deserve the awards for putting the time in I’m not willing to.

Obviously the developers wanting to save players from themselves is an entirely different animal and something I do support as they can say “this isn’t how we intended the game to be played” and make changes (which is what they’re in the process of doing). But as a player... no, I won’t knock or judge another player for how they choose to spend their time. That player you mention had the choice to do all the things you mentioned under tapping. They simply chose not to. 

Can you explain why mindless repetition in a mobile game is deserving of a reward?  Generally rewards are given as part of a competition for performing something that at least has some amount of skill or aptitude attached to it. 

You can say that fast clears only judge a small part of playing capability, but at least it is something. Tapping rewards absolutely nothing in the way of capability, skill, roster. So, I can totally get behind @fight4thedream saying we need alternate win conditions! Make people think! But mindless repetitive play is not deserving of a reward. 

If people really don't have anything to do in game for 6 hours a day, bring back the 20 iso rewards for tapping the prologue. 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    xAzra3lx said:
    I lost top 2 because of tapping in the simulator.  Was 2nd the whole event, and then the last day tapped out of place. Ended 11th. 
    Honest question, did you lost top2 because 10 people decided to tap in the last sub?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    broll said:
     I just hope they work towards fixing the time slice injustice that's been around a lot longer!
    Tapping predates slices. Seriously. The first incidents of tapping were discussed openly in the game's first months of life.

If you mean play scheduled around arbitrary end points, then yeah, they were both birthed from the same format, at the same time.

Excuse my ignorance then.  I've been pretty regular here for almost two years and it seems like up until recently it was never complained about.  Time slices I've seen regularly complained about  over the time I've been here.

Yeah, scheduled play has been a thing, will always be a thing, and no matter how much they alleviate the burden*, the arbitrariness of the end times will always have a limiting effect on some player's potential. It's a perennial problem that pretty much stays the same. It's "fair" in theory, in that it applied to everyone, but in practice it varies a lot from player to player.

Tapping is quite different. It's a possibility that's always there, anytime they have a repeatable node with a minimum value, but as the game has grown and expanded, design decision after design decision and even character releases have all served to enable tapping. Tapping has become more and more feasible and more and more effective. If it's seen as a problem, then it's a growing problem.

I wrote once that if people wanted change in regards to tapping, then they should work to make it a mainstream topic. Spread the word about how it's done. Make it a public topic. Engage in tapping themselves. As changes to the game enabled tapping, it was bound to happen anyway!

Some people say eh, it's only a few players here and there. But every player tapping their way to higher placement materially affects multiple other players in the bracket. And distorts scoring and placement expectations for everyone in the bracket. And pressures other competitive players to go there. And they already have enough pressures from this game :D

* And they have done a lot to lighten the load, from reducing the number of play sessions the format suggests, to reducing then eliminating roster scaling and then allowing players to pick the scaling, to continue to expand character's power range allowing players o build rosters that can play faster and faster. PvE has gone from requiring up to 4-5hrs a day(!!!!) to play optimally, down to as little as less than an hour a day for a developed roster.
    I listened. 
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I wouldn't rule it out.  I played in CL7 as my Doc Oc is somewhat undercovered.  I finished my opening clears of the final sub comfortably first, and finished my end grind with 2m spare.  At that point I was 9th in the sub and half of those ahead of me were hundreds of points ahead (and the others a good 50-100 pts clear of me).  
  • broll
    edited March 2018
    @ZeroKarma
    If my only two choices are rewarding effort or rewarding a combination of effort and having the right schedule. I choose the former. 

I agree with the sentiment that a mobile game shouldn’t require that much play, but some people want to play that much too. Should the game tell them they can’t?  Should CoD just stop giving rewards after you play for a few hours in a day?  

Ultimately the problem is placement. Remove placement and let people play as much as they want when they want for fun. That’s what games are supposed to be about right?  Now I hear the next question, was playing the same node over and over for hours on end fun?  No, but I wouldn’t say I minded either. I turned on a Netflix show I wanted to rewatch and put 70% of my focus their and 30% on the game and time flew.  

Now I don’t expect everyone to feel the need to play this way for rewards, that’s why I agree that it’s for the best for it to go away. But am I going to miss it some, yeah I am. The best 3 placements I ever got were thanks to tapping. I achieved something for the sacrifice I put into my time vs a normal event where I sacrifice the same amount of time as someone who has the freedom to play optimal and I get lame 3* rewards and they get 4* rewards.  

So yeah I’ll miss it some. Call me strange, get mad, whatever. I’m used to it. But I enjoyed my MPQ weekend and my trophies for the effort. I never was a serial tapper and there’s no way I could have been even if I wanted to. While I didn’t live there I found it was a nice place to visit.