Tapping.....

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thank aesthetocyst for the enlightening summary on how tapping evolved over the year.

It's fair to say that developers have attempted to solve tapping issues but it still persisted to this day.

What possible downside(s) do you (players with few years or couple of years of experience watching tapping evolved) see in:

1) making node point regenerates from 0
    2) making all nodes end at 0

The upside for point 1 can be seen in the previous trial and I expect similar upside for point 2 as well.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank aesthetocyst for the enlightening summary on how tapping evolved over the year.

It's fair to say that developers have attempted to solve tapping issues but it still persisted to this day.

What possible downside(s) do you (players with few years or couple of years of experience watching tapping evolved) see in:

The upside for point 1 can be seen in the previous trial and I expect similar upside for point 2 as well.
    Zero downside to 1) - bring on the test as the new normal.

Downside to 2) - ties are possible, which are not really ties, because speed decides placement, but still LOOK like ties to the average player. So possibly a huge number of CS complaints about "ties" after each PVE sub.
    Understandably, the devs don't want that.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options

Hound, I think that the biggest downside of 1 and 2 is all about timing. 

The trial we had with 1 went fairly well, because you were able to at least hit nodes for a few extra points if your timing was off and you had, say, 10 minutes left after clearing the nodes.  I guess you could call this tapping in the strictest sense, though doing it for more than 5-10 minutes would be pretty suboptimal. 

But if you reset everything to 0 after the seventh clear.....boy that would be interesting! It would add further strategy to the end grind where you wouldn't be able to make up for finishing 10 minutes before the end of the sub. It would also lead to some hilarious fails that most of us have witnessed or made the mistake of when trying to cut things too close and not getting your clears done before the end. 

I'd be ok either way, but option 2 might be pretty agonizing for a large amount of players at the end of the subs. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just don't want to see whatever happens from this test be similar to what happened with the wins based fiasco. Where we had a change after several tests. Then had it suddenly yanked with no explanation as to why it was reverted. Leading to large arguments and wild speculation on the forums with no real information from the devs as to why it was changed and reverted.

I like the direction hound is trying to steer this discussion. To encourage us to look at multiple sides of possible changes, and think on whether that may have unseen impact on the game. The test may have had some underlying issue that we did not notice but the devs were aware of and went back to the drawing board. We simply do not know. 

This forum has never lacked brainstorming abilities. We know at least brigby pops in to look at stuff and relay info. This is a potential big change that would have a big impact on the game. I would like to think the devs are wanting to get it right.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    I just don't want to see whatever happens from this test be similar to what happened with the wins based fiasco. Where we had a change after several tests. Then had it suddenly yanked with no explanation as to why it was reverted. Leading to large arguments and wild speculation on the forums with no real information from the devs as to why it was changed and reverted.
    Agreed. Lowest point on the forums since I’ve been coming here.  It still tinykitties me off every time I think about it. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I know it's been a while since players have last heard an update on the trial run changes to Story Mode mission points, but rest assured it is something we have not forgotten about. The team has just been very busy working on this upcoming major feature, and that has been taking priority lately. (It's coming soon! No ™ either!)

Once this feature is released, and the development team has some breathing room, I'll be sure to touch base with them on the results of the trial run, and what they have planned following it. Once I have information to communicate, I'll be sure to let you all know. Thanks for being patient!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby
    any rough timeline on when that would be?  It might settle people down knowing if they’re waiting for hours, days, weeks, or months...
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby thanks for the update.  I think most of know something is coming and the focus is on that, but every PVE that runs between now and a Fix is more LTs lost for the event, more CPs lost every sub, more tokens lost every sub.  
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why run the test if it was only going to be put back on the shelf for what appears to be months?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The test run of HoD ran from 3/11 to 3/15.  It sure seems like a long time ago, but it’s less than a month ago.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I suppose they have a list of tasks and they break down each task into multiple small tasks and see where they could fit each small tasks into their schedule. For tapping, it could be 1. gather data on new changes 2. Analyse data 3. 3. Make any possible changes etc 4. Run another trial for new hypothesis etc. 

Does D3 release major change on a perfect release number Like X0 or XX0? Based on Brigby's latest update according to my interpretation, it's safe to assume that tapping issue is unlikely to be "resolved" this month. But, if it is, it could be end of this month. I mean 27th April is Infinity War day... And the developers seems to be running short of time... 
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I heard they are renaming the game to Marvel Tapping Quest.

Because there is no puzzle anymore.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So someone in 2.9 had already tapped for 950+ points with 6:30 hours to go and is still going up in two-point increments.
    With 3:20 hours to go, 2 others have joined him, merrily tapping the 3* essential.

So people are tapping for 3 hours OR MORE each sub now.

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    So someone in 2.9 had already tapped for 950+ points with 6:30 hours to go and is still going up in two-point increments.
    With 3:20 hours to go, 2 others have joined him, merrily tapping the 3* essential.

So people are tapping for 3 hours OR MORE each sub now.

And I thought I played alot.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I know it's been a while since players have last heard an update on the trial run changes to Story Mode mission points, but rest assured it is something we have not forgotten about. The team has just been very busy working on this upcoming major feature, and that has been taking priority lately. (It's coming soon! No ™ either!)

Once this feature is released, and the development team has some breathing room, I'll be sure to touch base with them on the results of the trial run, and what they have planned following it. Once I have information to communicate, I'll be sure to let you all know. Thanks for being patient!
    Is this major feature supports?  If so, that means tapping isn’t being reviewed until mid-to-late May.  So what happens in the month in between?
  • The rockett
    Options
    Brigby said:

Is this major feature supports?  If so, that means tapping isn’t being reviewed until mid-to-late May.  So what happens in the month in between?
    Tappers win. We lose. 
  • The rockett
    Options
    I am in s1.9.2 for Meet Rockett and Groot.  Somebody is already tapping for 3 points at a time. I just saw this now and it is 15 hours before the end of this. This isn’t somebody overclearing, this is a known tapper.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @The rockett   I think you’re in my bracket, and there are at least two tappers....I finished at 32 this morning and am now 64.  Early clears yes, but come on....
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    @The rockett   I think you’re in my bracket, and there are at least two tappers....I finished at 32 this morning and am now 64.  Early clears yes, but come on....
    And you think those are tappers that passed you? Ill bet you at least 30 of those that sent you down the ranks are just not caring about placement and green checking early on for progression and node rewards, 1 of them overcleared by accidence and maybe, maybe 1 is tapping, possibly just to make up for joining later than others than joined at flip...

Either way, we all know some, or more than a few, are tapping. Devs have acknowledged they are looking into it, but dont have time right now.

Tapping, sorry, repeating the same complaint over and over again wont change anything sooner... (is there a way to unsubscribe to a forum topic you’ve posted in, so no updates are shown?)
  • The rockett
    Options
    Happily noted the curtailment of tapping as of this date, in The History of Tapping.

Such a wonderful site.