The Safe Rant Thread for Letting Off Steam.

Options

Comments

• Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Froggy said:
    I really hate how the forums have been lately. All the bikering back and forth about the recent exploit. D3 just is watching players make jabs at each other (of course never naming people, but jabs en masse - which is even worse), arguing over morality and the correctness of actions. In the meantime the bug has been fixed and cheaters were punished - as announced days ago. Yet the stupidity of the arguments continue.

This forum community feels like a Facebook argument about politics and frankly is so wrong. This place should be a place of constructive thinking, deck building, how to better use cards, a place for new and old players alike to help one another, share fun experiences, etc. But all I see now is senseless arguing among the player base about morals and legal lingo.

I wish the relevant threads were shut down and deleted from the forums.

Please guys - let’s all move on. It’s a tiny-kitty game after all...
    This is the main problem imo. 
    D3/Octagon is a passive part. They obviously monitor things like this according to responses. But they never make any statements or clarifications on these matters.

A simple message saying ''Situation x is an issue atm, be aware and apply solution y until further notice or we will have to take further action"

• Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hate the inconsistency and lack of communication. It makes it seem like D3Go doesn’t really care. 

The sneak peek says that RotDP is a standard event. The rules under the info button say that “this event is played in standard mode.” Although, that could be referring to the lack of special effects (e.g. enraged) some events have. But the event also has a legacy banned and clearly allows legacy cards. 

This would be a minor complaint if it didn’t come right on the heels of the legacy exploit—this timing is truly unfortunate. 

How do we decide which rule to follow when they contradict each other? Since there is no link to the forums within the game, it’s unfair to think that everyone has seen the sneak peek so that means that the rules in game must be the “correct” version?

I think? I dunno. This is far to complicated for a silly phone game. This isn’t fun for me. 

Ugh. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hate the inconsistency and lack of communication. It makes it seem like D3Go doesn’t really care. 

The sneak peek says that RotDP is a standard event. The rules under the info button say that “this event is played in standard mode.” Although, that could be referring to the lack of special effects (e.g. enraged) some events have. But the event also has a legacy banned and clearly allows legacy cards. 

This would be a minor complaint if it didn’t come right on the heels of the legacy exploit—this timing is truly unfortunate. 

How do we decide which rule to follow when they contradict each other? Since there is no link to the forums within the game, it’s unfair to think that everyone has seen the sneak peek so that means that the rules in game must be the “correct” version?

I think? I dunno. This is far to complicated for a silly phone game. This isn’t fun for me. 

Ugh. 
    I think the only real solution is to keep pestering the devs and Brigby about how important communication is and hope they eventually take the hint.

But this is abysmal.  

The scariest thing is I have seen this before with another game (Highgrounds).
    It got dropped by its original dev team and picked up by another one that then released a huge update (new set of cards) that had major bugs and one super powerful exploit (that started a massive forum debate).
    They stopped communicating on the forums, and eventually stopped updating the game.

I logged back in 3 years later (about 2 years ago) and found the same buggy exploits still there and absolutely nobody still playing.

I hope that doesn't happen here, but I worry all the same.
  • Buizel
    Buizel Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Does anyone know where the Q&A submission for September went? I think it was over a month ago.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wait so is Etali doing "top of deck only now?"  I've been noticing that recently, but thought it might be a glitch
    It IS a glitch, it's the same glitch that existed when Etali was first introduced: if your hand is full, and Etali attacks, instead of adding one of their cards to your hand with full mana (since your hand is full), Etali just adds the card from their deck to the top of your deck, so you will draw it the next opportunity (with no mana). He's definitely doing it again (and all y'all need to stop putting such garbage in your decks, no way I'm gonna actually pay mana to cast this drek!) The workaround, in the meantime, is to make sure you never have a full hand when your Etali attacks, he should be fine then. You can also shut down an opponent's Etali by making sure their hand IS full, though that's not really a reliable strategy.

That bug "went away" when they changed the mechanics so that effects like that could increase your hand beyond its max size (so if you had a full hand, you'd end up with seven cards in hand). And then, when they decide to reverse that mechanics change so that you can't go beyond max hand size anymore, that bug came back, exactly as predicted.

Unless maybe it's not a bug, maybe they're gonna declare that's "working as intended" despite making no sense whatsoever and not being indicated anywhere on Etali's card text. I dunno, this is why I keep badgering them for clarity and consistency.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    Stormcrow said:

• "The player's hand will no longer contain seven or more cards, when activating an ability that moves a card to the player's hand while the player's hand is full." ....Whoa. This is a pretty big change, and a significant nerf to some cards (Chaos Wand comes to mind, Etali too, but I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of others). Are all such effects simply going to fail when a player's hand is full? Is Etali going to go back to sticking cards on the top my deck like it used to? (Please no!)
    Me: Please no!
    Oktagon: OH YES!

Also, add Djinn of Wishes to the list of cards that are seriously nerfed by this change. I had only gotten him a couple days before the 2.9 patch. :(

Bonus freebie rant: Apparently they already ran the first beta test of the new event! Wouldn't know it by me, because even though I got the email saying I'd been accepted in, never even saw a trace of it in-game.
    Djinn of wishes did not bypass the hand limit, so you don't have to feel bad about at least that :)
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When the games locks up on the 3rd node of the event worth 50 pts...  and you are just about win. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had so many crashes and phone problems I almost didn't get progression! And I used to _race_ people to 1000 points!

• Rhasget
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    I had so many crashes and phone problems I almost didn't get progression! And I used to _race_ people to 1000 points!

Bolas don't give up easily this time so keep on racing!
  • Mburn7
    Options
    As much as I like a healthy debate, it really irritates me that every time there is a new bug now we need to ask if it we are cheating by playing with it.  There are too many bugs for us to have to clarify each time a new one comes up (also, I'm mad because there are so many bugs)
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    (also, I'm mad because there are so many bugs)
    ->
    The only consensus apart from "more communication" the whole community can agree on
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    As much as I like a healthy debate, it really irritates me that every time there is a new bug now we need to ask if it we are cheating by playing with it.  There are too many bugs for us to have to clarify each time a new one comes up (also, I'm mad because there are so many bugs)
    Agreed. Still, we got a discount on pitchforks and it would be a shame not to use them. 

The rules clearly state that the event is over when boss health reaches 0%. While there is a real case to be made that -1% could be an innocent mistake, I see a lot of frelling hypocrites advocating for exploiting this particular bug who were calling for heads to roll last time cheating came up. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Agreed. Still, we got a discount on pitchforks and it would be a shame not to use them. 

The rules clearly state that the event is over when boss health reaches 0%. While there is a real case to be made that -1% could be an innocent mistake, I see a lot of frelling hypocrites advocating for exploiting this particular bug who were calling for heads to roll last time cheating came up. 
    Oh, definitely.  That's why the debate got so contentious toward the end.  Because it is impossible to draw the line in a way that makes sense when there are so many game-breaking bugs.

1 every once in a while is no big deal.  1 or 2 per week is impossible.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    I've taken the mental approach of considering the bugs to be a "feature" of the game that I have to navigate every time I play.

To give a more real-world example, I play a lot of tennis. Hard court surfaces are supposed to be pretty similar, but that's hardly the case. One court can be weathered and worn, causing the ball to skid more. Another can be new and made with a less-than-smooth material, causing it to eat up pace and emphasize spin. Yet another court could have settled poorly, which gives different advantages/disadvantages depending on if you're playing uphill or downhill. And all of this ignores the elements, like position of the sun or direction and speed of the wind.

If I sat around every time wishing those variables were steady and never-changing, I'd go crazy. Instead, I have to learn, adapt, and deal with the environment.

Granted, this is barely a good example, since devs have total control over all this stuff. But I would argue that this game has proven it will always be filled with bugs, so maybe taking a mindset of accepting bugs as the status quo is easier to deal with than wishing they weren't there (because they're not going away).
  • Mburn7
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:
    I've taken the mental approach of considering the bugs to be a "feature" of the game that I have to navigate every time I play.

To give a more real-world example, I play a lot of tennis. Hard court surfaces are supposed to be pretty similar, but that's hardly the case. One court can be weathered and worn, causing the ball to skid more. Another can be new and made with a less-than-smooth material, causing it to eat up pace and emphasize spin. Yet another court could have settled poorly, which gives different advantages/disadvantages depending on if you're playing uphill or downhill. And all of this ignores the elements, like position of the sun or direction and speed of the wind.

If I sat around every time wishing those variables were steady and never-changing, I'd go crazy. Instead, I have to learn, adapt, and deal with the environment.

Granted, this is barely a good example, since devs have total control over all this stuff. But I would argue that this game has proven it will always be filled with bugs, so maybe taking a mindset of accepting bugs as the status quo is easier to deal with than wishing they weren't there (because they're not going away).
    You play tennis?  You wouldn't happen to live in New York would you?  I'm always looking for people to play with.

And I agree that you should be able to exploit bugs as long as you aren't using any outside stuff to do so, just like how I'll aim for a dead spot in the court if I know its there for easy points.  Sure it isn't nice, but when you're competing you gotta do what you gotta do.

This would be much less of an issue, though, if the devs actually put out a game that worked properly.
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:

This I find very insightful. 

Do we blame our doubles partner or our opponents when the tennis ball doesn’t bounce as expected? No. We think, “gosh, whomever is responsible for the upkeep on this court doesn’t seem to care very much.”

I like your positive attitude about approaching this stuff—it seems healthy and I’ll give it a try!
  • Rhasget
    Options
    Mburn7 said: 

And I agree that you should be able to exploit bugs as long as you aren't using any outside stuff to do so

Quoting doesn't work so I bolded this instead.

Isn't there a risk of doing this.

Instead of reporting bugs, some will keep it among themselves for an extra edge.
    Or that players not keeping up with the forum talk missing out on exploits.

For example the Guilded Lotus bug that was mentioned. I had missed that you could exploit it for stacking bonus on blue and while an exploit was mentioned, what it did either good or bad wasn't mentioned directly.

Or bugs only affecting some but not others.
    Like Sphinxs Decree, I can still use it as normal without having a freeze. Is it ok for me to use that card when it seems almost everyone else gets a freeze when it enters the board.

Or when the game errors and gives me extra charges, is it ok for me to use them when no one else gets one (it has happened already and I didn't use them btw).

I'm not slating anyone for doing it but just as unclear what constitutes cheating now, wouldn't it be the same if we allow everything when some can and others not?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    Mburn7 said: 

And I agree that you should be able to exploit bugs as long as you aren't using any outside stuff to do so

Instead of reporting bugs, some will keep it among themselves for an extra edge.

For example the Guilded Lotus bug that was mentioned. I had missed that you could exploit it for stacking bonus on blue and while an exploit was mentioned, what it did either good or bad wasn't mentioned directly.

Like Sphinxs Decree, I can still use it as normal without having a freeze. Is it ok for me to use that card when it seems almost everyone else gets a freeze when it enters the board.

Or when the game errors and gives me extra charges, is it ok for me to use them when no one else gets one (it has happened already and I didn't use them btw).

I'm not slating anyone for doing it but just as unclear what constitutes cheating now, wouldn't it be the same if we allow everything when some can and others not?
    I wouldn't worry too much about the risk of people not reporting bugs for an edge, since the community is large and vocal enough that they will get reported anyway (hell, I usually report bugs while still using them.  I want a clean game as much as the next guy)

And the Sphinx's Decree bug has precedent.  Back when Prized Amalgam came out it also would auto-crash the game almost every time it was played.  Took 4 different updates to finally make it work properly.  People absolutely would put it into their event decks in order to crash out their opponents.  Was that cheating?  I'd say no.  A **** move for sure but not cheating.

Look, I'm not saying that everyone has to do anything here.  If you don't want to use a broken card because you think its wrong that is your right.  I respect that.  But if I want to play with that Zendikar's Roil/Path of Discovery combo (I didn't, btw, because I found it very un-fun) I should be able to.  I just think that we shouldn't be the ones punished for shoddy workmanship.
  • Rhasget
    Options
    On another note, the forum seems to have gotten another update and is also bugged.
    I guess it's to make the experience match the game.
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    Mburn7 said: 

Agreed! And to continue the tennis court analogy; we should have bright lights shining so we all can see all the flaws to level the uneven playing field... er, court?