The Safe Rant Thread for Letting Off Steam.

Options

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:
    As much as I like a healthy debate, it really irritates me that every time there is a new bug now we need to ask if it we are cheating by playing with it.  There are too many bugs for us to have to clarify each time a new one comes up (also, I'm mad because there are so many bugs)
    I've taken the mental approach of considering the bugs to be a "feature" of the game that I have to navigate every time I play.

To give a more real-world example, I play a lot of tennis. Hard court surfaces are supposed to be pretty similar, but that's hardly the case. One court can be weathered and worn, causing the ball to skid more. Another can be new and made with a less-than-smooth material, causing it to eat up pace and emphasize spin. Yet another court could have settled poorly, which gives different advantages/disadvantages depending on if you're playing uphill or downhill. And all of this ignores the elements, like position of the sun or direction and speed of the wind.

If I sat around every time wishing those variables were steady and never-changing, I'd go crazy. Instead, I have to learn, adapt, and deal with the environment.

Granted, this is barely a good example, since devs have total control over all this stuff. But I would argue that this game has proven it will always be filled with bugs, so maybe taking a mindset of accepting bugs as the status quo is easier to deal with than wishing they weren't there (because they're not going away).
    You play tennis?  You wouldn't happen to live in New York would you?  I'm always looking for people to play with.

And I agree that you should be able to exploit bugs as long as you aren't using any outside stuff to do so, just like how I'll aim for a dead spot in the court if I know its there for easy points.  Sure it isn't nice, but when you're competing you gotta do what you gotta do.

This would be much less of an issue, though, if the devs actually put out a game that worked properly.
    I live in the Midwest. I do occasionally end up out in NY for travel. I'll hit you up next time that happens. Generally speaking, I try to hit a night with a local pro (or a pairing of their recommendation) when I travel just to make sure I don't slip while I'm away.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A bug is a bug.
    An exploit is _deliberately_ abusing a bug that goes against _known_ intent for profit.
    Playing Legacy in Standard except by accident was clearly an exploit.
    Most things aren't.
    In most cases just moving forward as you would normally be doing unless the devs say different is fine.

The big thing is gone. Stop framing things in relation to it, they aren't the same, let it go now and start again.

In other games punishment is usually dependant on amount of undeserved profit and number of offenses.

One off bugs like the Bolas fiasco are NOT exploits and D3go and Oktagon just have to work out what to do, again, it's not the same as an ongoing thing.

Just stop, breath, let all this go, and start again as if there is nothing wrong anymore.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    6 pulls into the BSZ Elite Pack. Still no BSZ.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    6 pulls into the BSZ Elite Pack. Still no BSZ.
    Only took me 9 pulls (Got one of the mythics in a PP)  :D

The very last card I could get.
    And that Elite pack is basically all my M19 mythics (and MPs) besides Bone Dragon.

This set have been abyssmal luckwise for me. Bought 12PPs and pulled two mythics and 11 Rares. The rest I have I had to craft or get in elite packs.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gosh, so much rational discussion I'm struggling to find something to disagree with.

So hear hear *raises a glass*  Carry on :)

But yeah the consistency of lack of communication and synchronization between the forums and the developers leads me to suspect they've given up coordinating with us entirely.  Kind of a "Yeah? You're having problems?  We'll get to it when we get to it, this project we've decided to work on right now is far more interesting to us," type of attitude.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gosh, so much rational discussion I'm struggling to find something to disagree with.
    Yeah, should be flagged as of topic here!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How dare they bring civil discourse into this thread of fiery mayhem and pandemonium!!!
    Image result for angry rawr gif

nah it's fine.  I'm just glad good discussion is being had :)

• Brakkis
    Options
    Can we all just... not **** play next weekend? Like seriously, leave the game a barren wasteland out of spite for them consistently running year old content instead of something that rewards Standard **** rewards?

There's BoFT (ugh, but still, current), AWR, and TDW we could be running. Instead it's been RotGP, HoD, RotGP, HoD, repeat...
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Can we all just... not tinykitty play next weekend? Like seriously, leave the game a barren wasteland out of spite for them consistently running year old content instead of something that rewards Standard tinykitty rewards?

There's BoFT (ugh, but still, current), AWR, and TDW we could be running. Instead it's been RotGP, HoD, RotGP, HoD, repeat...
    This is just a random guess, but maybe  the legacy exploit isn’t closed so they’re answering it by giving us nonstop legacy events. My question is why not Avacyn’s Madness? We like that event don’t we?

However, with the exception of B4T; I concur — I’d love to play some TDW; RtO or AWR right now. 
  • Brakkis
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Brakkis said:
    Can we all just... not tinykitty play next weekend? Like seriously, leave the game a barren wasteland out of spite for them consistently running year old content instead of something that rewards Standard tinykitty rewards?

This is just a random guess, but maybe  the legacy exploit isn’t closed so they’re answering it by giving us nonstop legacy events. My question is why not Avacyn’s Madness? We like that event don’t we?

However, with the exception of B4T; I concur — I’d love to play some TDW; RtO or AWR right now. 

I had that thought. So I tested it in AXLN and Standard TG. It's been fixed.

I'd probably even take AM as well. But this constant stream of HOU events is ridiculous.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Oh, definitely.  That's why the debate got so contentious toward the end.  Because it is impossible to draw the line in a way that makes sense when there are so many game-breaking bugs.
    This simply isn't true.  Many of us can and do draw a line which makes sense to us.  They're not all the same lines.  And some of us make adjustments as we get new information.  But that's fine: they don't have to all be the same, and they don't have to be immovable.

For many people, exploiting the Legacy bug crossed the line, but playing into negative life on RGP did not.  That's fine.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You're only in trouble if your ethical line allows you to perform an exploit which conflicts with what D3 see as fair play.  Yes, that's a fuzzy evaluation, but you can absolutely perform it, and arrive at an answer for yourself every time.

You might not like having to do that any time a bug crops up, but that's a far cry from it being impossible.  And you might choose to set your personal line at "anything goes", but if you do, there can be no doubt that some actions your line allows you to perform will not be seen as ok by D3.  Even knowing that, you can still set your line there.  That's fine.  You can choose, like the rest of us can, and you'll face the consequences of your choice, like all the rest of us will ours.  But if what you're really and truly after is ideas on how you could set your personal moral line in a way that's likely to be consistent with D3's idea of fair play, there are by now literally dozens of tips you can find in the numerous threads this topic has accumulated already.
    Call me rational all you like, but this is probably about as ranty as I get, so it seems on topic to me. :P
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You know, @Volrak
    We all have our personal line what we consider as ranting. I do not need to agree on yours and vice versa, that's totally fine!
    You're only in trouble of being off-topic in this topic, if your personal ranting limit is lower than the minimum ranting bar the forum mods see as appropriate!

(I should mention that I like your explanation and think about sharing this pov the next time such a topic comes up. Probably tomorrow)

• octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options

(Probably tomorrow) 
    This seems optimistic.

Yo what is up with the rune scarcity these days? I just got my Bolas2 to level 16 and I'm dreading the two new dual-colored walkers getting ready to come out in GRN.

edit: AND the ZvE walkers. Yikes
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have run into 7 consecutive Blue Sun's Zenith/Storm the Vault decks.

This is what I was afraid of when they announced the guaranteed non-dupe packs.

*sigh* I'll get BSZ one day
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    octal9 said:
    Laeuftbeidir Laeuftbeidir said:

(Probably tomorrow) 
    This seems optimistic.

Yo what is up with the rune scarcity these days? I just got my Bolas2 to level 16 and I'm dreading the two new dual-colored walkers getting ready to come out in GRN.

Well, it's 8pm here and I didn't need it yet! Fingers crossed.
    I made myself a sheet to monitor the runes (it's pinned in our #general) I need for the pws I have (700k) and not yet have (another 200k).
    I already invested 4.8 Mio runes. I fear to do the math how many hours that have been
  • Mburn7
    Options
    octal9 said:
    Laeuftbeidir Laeuftbeidir said:

(Probably tomorrow) 
    This seems optimistic.

Well, it's 8pm here and I didn't need it yet! Fingers crossed.
    I made myself a sheet to monitor the runes (it's pinned in our #general) I need for the pws I have (700k) and not yet have (another 200k).
    I already invested 4.8 Mio runes. I fear to do the math how many hours that have been
    I've given up on leveling or acquiring everyone.  Now I only buy the ones I think I'm really going to get a lot of use out of and then grind them up then.  Its so difficult to get crystals and runes fast enough to cover all of them.

I miss the days when you would only get 50 crystals a week and that was enough lol.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Now I'm mad that the main MTG Story will be in book form instead of the short stories on the website.

I don't want to pay for the story, but I'm so invested in it at this point I think I may have to.  Grrrrr.
  • Brakkis
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Now I'm mad that the main MTG Story will be in book form instead of the short stories on the website.

I don't want to pay for the story, but I'm so invested in it at this point I think I may have to.  Grrrrr.
    Wait, what!?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Mburn7 said:

Wait, what!?
    The story behind the MTG universe has been going on as long as the card game has.  It was originally just books (and from what I can tell, mostly E-Books), but for the last few years the story has been delivered in weekly story segments here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story

For Ravnica, however, the culmination of Bolas' plots and epic final battle with the Gatewatch (of Deploy fame) will be back in book form, while the weekly story posts will be about everyday life on Ravnica and side characters.
  • Brakkis
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Brakkis said:
    Mburn7 said:

Wait, what!?
    The story behind the MTG universe has been going on as long as the card game has.  It was originally just books (and from what I can tell, mostly E-Books), but for the last few years the story has been delivered in weekly story segments here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story

For Ravnica, however, the culmination of Bolas' plots and epic final battle with the Gatewatch (of Deploy fame) will be back in book form, while the weekly story posts will be about everyday life on Ravnica and side characters.

Oh I've known about the story segments. I've been reading them as they came out. I did not know they were pulling this garbage with a book to finish the story. Now I'm thoroughly annoyed.