The Dukes of Hazard (tiles)

Comments

• afsplat
    afsplat Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I never actually noticed they were there in previous events
    I feel weird putting Quake on the team, tanking with OML and letting hazard tiles do all the work. It's a very effective method for this event. 
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    No - those Good ol' boys belong in jail
    They are for one thing, to make more money on health packs. I could come out of half these fights undamaged now i come out of them with 1000s of damage
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why do people always pedal this health pack thing, the devs have done nothing but give us characters and powers to power through pve barely using a health pack. I play CL8 and never use a single pack, I ran through this in CL 8 and used one. I don’t have thor. Yep CL9 I would have used more but so you should, it’s the top CL. Risk vs rewards. 

The amount of things been been given in the game to aid with less pack useage vs things to take them away is so heavily biased in our favour. It’s one pve that’s a bit more pack heavy and it’s a new character release, there should be more to separate this game from just speed.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well no question about the first round splitting players. I'm not a fan myself but it does add a different dimension to the match and far more noticeable than the GOTG ones were, so at least there is an impact on gameplay. Of course these ones were self-explanatory in terms of what they were gonna do from Brigby's post, next up is the more intriguing sounding:

Royal Shield - Helps allies, but can also turn the tide in the enemy’s favor.

Any early speculation? Not sure how it can help the enemy unless you can't attack or it stuns characters whlst shield is up?!?! Looking forward to the second round of feedback from early birds!
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Tony Foot said:
    Why do people always pedal this health pack thing,

Health packs are for PvP not PvE. This will make the 4* Grocket/Gamora/Medusa team even more relevant now. I also think its to counter the repeated low health advantage teams like DD or Thor. Since before you could bring in a fairly weak DD and Thor to use their passives but now that risks getting them wiped out due to the hazard tiles.

Just a quick question though, how many players have had their match ended when the tiles killed off the enemy team during their turn?  It's happening more and more often now that I'm using weak AOEs to whittle down their health and letting the tiles resolve to wipe out the rest of the health.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I honestly didn't find these tiles as bad as everyone was saying.  I played SCL9 (higher than my normal SCL8) and outside the 5* node I was typically getting hit by 1 or less per match.  All said and done my clear times were pretty normal and I used about the same amount of health packs as I usually do running a 5* Thanos speed team.

I can see how this would be a lot tougher though if you were playing against matches much closer or over your characters level as those would likely take longer.

I also noticed that cascades seemed to drop in new bomb tiles with counters at 2 & 1 instead of starting at 3.  @Brigby is that expected behavior?  It looked like a bug to me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love me some Hazard - Eden Hazard, Hazard, Kentucky, etc.
    I finally got to try that sub; it was definitely way over the top in SCL7 from what I was expecting, but I don't want to jump straight to "take 'em out!" territory. I do hope this isn't the new normal for all events though, because if that happens, it will just be an obvious health pack tax on PVE. 
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    JSP869 said:
    The bomb tiles don't promote/add strategy, they take it away. Basic strategy is what moves can I make that benefit me and simultaneously disadvantage the AI. I need to collect AP for my team while denying the AI the AP they need. But now we have bomb tiles that disrupt those plans, and which the AI only matches away by chance even though they get damaged by the bomb tiles, too. And again, we have another set of random counter tiles that only tick down on the AI's turn, and so while the AI is negatively affected by these new hazards that they don't care about, (they always start a new match with full health), they also positively benefit from the bombs because they get the benefit of any matches or cascades from the bomb tiles because they only explode on the AI's turn. So in spite of your best efforts to deny the AI the AP they need, they may get it anyway through an additional, randomized element. The bomb tiles do not promote strategy, they detract from it.
    "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

These tiles conflict with (detract from) your established strategy, and encourage (promote) you to develop a new one; giving you a new puzzle to solve.
    Barreling headfirst into the fight inflicting as much damage as quickly as possible, Juggernaut style, is still a viable strategy. You just have to deal with the consequence of the possibility of receiving a lot of damage as well. 
    This change just adds an extra decision to the process: should I make the red match that deals more damage and builds my AP, or do I make the green match that prevents my team from getting hurt.

I like that the devs are coming up with new ways to keep the game interresting. Maybe they could tweak the damage amounts and/or the frequency of them, but then they run the risk of being like the ones in the GotG event, when they are barely noticeable. These bombs force you to pay attention to them.
    Agreed. Yes, I am using more health packs but I'm also using teams other than Grocket/Medusa/Gamora to clear nodes. Having fun trying out different team configurations to play with. 

For example, I recently champed Nightcrawler. I wasn't a fan of his powers at release but since he was boosted decided to try him out with Vulture and Cloak & Dagger. My opinion may change when he isn't boosted and comes back to down to Earth and the PVE event doesn't involve AOE exploding tiles, but I'm loving Nightcrawler now. He takes no damage from the exploding tiles and pulling off an infinite BAMF! ends things quick if you're lucky. Vulture's great too since he can spend his time airborne and avoid damage as well. 

Cloak & Dagger, on the other hand, are hating their lived right now. They're basically there to feed black for Vulture so they get exploded on a lot. They must think Vulture and Nightcrawler are the worst teammates ever. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    New hazards drop protects, then flips them. These can be used to your benefit more than the last ones.
    Not sure how the next ones work, but overall I am a fan. They change the game more than I thought they would. The hazards in the GOTG2 event were barely noticeable, but these force you to change your strategy.
  • broll
    Know what's unfair, the enemy has unlimited health packs, we don't.
    A common misconception.  The game has the same setup we do with 10 health packs and auto-regens.  They also have the option to buy health packs with HP, but they use all the HP players spend.  So they have a near endless supply.  The devs drive us to spend HP because if we stopped the game would become unplayable when we had to wait for the AI to regenerate health packs...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    GUYS. BREAKING NEWS. I've confirmed that Snarky Remark will extend the life of environmental countdowns. #MakeBagmanGreatAgain
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Know what's unfair, the enemy has unlimited health packs, we don't.
    A common misconception.  The game has the same setup we do with 10 health packs and auto-regens.  They also have the option to buy health packs with HP, but they use all the HP players spend.  So they have a near endless supply.  The devs drive us to spend HP because if we stopped the game would become unplayable when we had to wait for the AI to regenerate health packs...
    The AI buy their healthpacks from 5* Ock's hospital.
  • broll
    GUYS. BREAKING NEWS. I've confirmed that Snarky Remark will extend the life of environmental countdowns. #MakeBagmanGreatAgain
    All glory to Bagman, the hero of our time!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    GUYS. DOUBLE BREAKING NEWS: To Love and Fear does NOT remove these hazard tiles
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I never actually noticed they were there in previous events
    Still on the first sub - I noticed that the enemy Moonstone was moving the Hazards with her Gravity Warp which is supposed to target "enemy special tiles." 
    I posted it in the Bugs and Technical issues thread. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this or others that are treating 'neutral' tiles as 'enemy'.
    Confirmed the 4* Thor's yellow (at 5 covers, so it should target countdowns) does not work.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    What would be fun and a little more fair would be to have the hazard tiles only damage the opposing team when they expired.